Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

NOW announcing new games coming to the site.

If they don't announce System Shock, I demand that you berate them. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

New look gamecard pages:

Apparently much better written by 'experts', testers, etc

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

New look gamecard pages:

Apparently much better written by 'experts', testers, etc

YES dude wow, this is awesome.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

BadAstronaut posted:

can someone please collect all the serious questions you want answered and post them into one post and I can try get them answered.

Will we be able to block/filter games we do not want to buy at all and don't want to see in their interface?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Oh ffs, they keep delaying the list of new games. They know we want to know, so they keep dragging it :)

Now busy saying how they are working on full compatibility - "it is an obsession" on GOG. They are trying to fix isolated configuration setups that are still not fully Win 7 compatible, and only when they are fully satisfied with the product compatibility, they will add them to the list...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I still wonder if they'll open the new site tonight or just wait till tomorrow as announced. Since it was all fake anyway, there's no reason why they couldn't open it right this moment.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

can someone please collect all the serious questions you want answered and post them into one post and I can try get them answered.

If GOG was to shut down for real, what would be their target for how far beforehand they would tell us?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Adding a Facebook 'Like' option.

yap
Mar 19, 2003
Ask if there's any chance for OS X installers on dosbox games?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

Now busy saying how they are working on full compatibility - "it is an obsession" on GOG. They are trying to fix isolated configuration setups that are still not fully Win 7 compatible, and only when they are fully satisfied with the product compatibility, they will add them to the list...

Well that's good, on a serious note, ask them when they might realistically get the System Shock series on the service.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Adding a download speed calculator - drag a bar to select your connection speed and it tells you how long to download your new games. Small feature, but hey.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Actually my question about Icewind Dale and Planescape is the most important one right now guys.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The conference is open to the public: http://www.transmisjeonline.pl/gogconference

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

PonchAxis posted:

You know what I'm just happy it didn't close at all. GOG owns and I didn't get to buy some games before it "closed" down. Seriously was scared for a while.

same. Was afraid to post for fear of jinxing anything. Great to see gog lives! TBH, I was more upset by the possibility that an awesome DRM-free service like GoG couldn't survive in today's environment, then the fact that I might just have lost all my games on GoG (which is a lot...)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks for all the info, BadAstronaut.

Also, who's going to make the OP to the new thread? The current OP is loving kickass but I don't seem to remember seeing Charles Martel post in the last few days.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

More features... like the 'This is part of xxxx series' below, as well as GOGMix, which they have not fully discussed yet.

No new game announcments for a while, hang in there goons.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
man what a stupid marketing gimic i dont think i could buy poo poo from them now

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

teethgrinder posted:

Anyway, woo, maybe I'll finally beat Baldur's Gate for once.

I'll actually be able to play Baldur's Gate for the first time!

I purchased it when I was in Iowa visiting family and tortured myself by reading the manual over and over since no one had a computer. When I finally got home it turned out my computer couldn't run it. When I finally owned a computer that could run it I found out all the discs got scratched up when we were moving to a new house. Then I tried purchasing the Baldur's Gate DVD version on Amazon.com and they canceled it because it wasn't in stock or something.

:v:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

GOG community area upgraded:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Watch them only release BG1 and not BG2+Expansions on the relaunch (as in BG2 comes like a month later -_-)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Sprawl posted:

man what a stupid marketing gimic i dont think i could buy poo poo from them now
I just don't think I could bare it. Oh I feel faint. What strapping young gent shall catch my fall!?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Discussing GOGMix now. If it has not been done already, please collect all serious q's into one post and I will try ask - sorry, dont have the time to read thread now.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Sprawl posted:

Excuse me while I go get my tiny violin.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Any plans for some sort of patching system? Would be nice if, for example, a new dosbox comes out and it auto-updates.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I must be jaded because all I'm getting out of this so far is "it's the exact same website with a few bits rearranged". If they had just changed it over one day without announcing I'm not sure I would have noticed.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Gogmix is like your favourite stuff in one - sort of like 'lists in Amazon' is first thing that came to mind.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

BadAstronaut posted:

Discussing GOGMix now. If it has not been done already, please collect all serious q's into one post and I will try ask - sorry, dont have the time to read thread now.

- Was the shutdown supposed to highlight the inherent flaw in Digital Distribution?

- Ask if there's any chance for OS X installers on dosbox games?

- If GOG was to shut down for real, what would be their target for how far beforehand they would tell us?

- I still wonder if they'll open the new site tonight or just wait till tomorrow as announced.

- Will we be able to block/filter games we do not want to buy at all and don't want to see in their interface?

- Ask them whether they will add the ability to remove empty sections of your game shelf or not. Darn thing had like five empty spaces last time I checked.

- I seriously want to know about how they're going to bring the game box bookshelf into the 21st and 1/10th century

- Any plans for some sort of patching system? Would be nice if, for example, a new dosbox comes out and it auto-updates.

Everything else asked has been game library related.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
They said the words "Baldur's Gate."

10 bux, includes the expansion.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He just said BG+Expansion costs $999 :wth:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Oh, a separate mod tab on the gamecard would be a neat idea. I know they already do the spotlights but a permanent collection on the actual card would be awesome.

Maybe like, for example on the Duke card, they could have links to EDuke32 and the HRP or something.

r2x
Jan 13, 2008
What did the teapot say to the chalk?

Nothing, you silly. Teapots can't talk.
Weirdest PR move ever.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Something about adding "kigus" user experience...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Merrill Grinch posted:

I must be jaded because all I'm getting out of this so far is "it's the exact same website with a few bits rearranged". If they had just changed it over one day without announcing I'm not sure I would have noticed.

That's the (misguided) idea they're trying here - get more PR about the relaunch instead of a nearly overlooked change.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Does GOG have a way of removing games you don't want to own from your account, or at least not displaying them on your shelf? If not it'd be nice to ask if they could implement one.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

1pm GMT tomorrow, the site launches and Baldurs Gate will be available from the relaunch.
There is still a lot to do, they reckon, and there are still a lot of games they want - they say. Their objective is "to become the number one alternative to Steam"

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Well, that was a lot of jibber-jabber to say not much of anything.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
So it's just BG1, meh.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK, so they didnt allow for any questions. Said we have to request individual interviews. So, not a press conference at all, but more of an elaborate announcement with video and a slideshow of new stuff. Still, cool. We love our GOG, and no big surprise, but Baldurs is in there too.

EDIT: I'll try throw in some goon questions with my own interview questions.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

tentaclesex posted:

Well, that was a lot of jibber-jabber to say not much of anything.

Seriously, the redesign of the site isn't very deep and if their only new product announcement is Baldur's Gate, then all this stunt really wasn't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

I knew it was an elaborate troll. This is the greatest Internet prank since the RickRoll.

Starhawk64 posted:

Wanted to redownload UT2004 and noticed that the site was gone. Please tell me that this is a joke. I PAID FOR THOSE GAMES ARGH. Luckily I got my backups, but still.

I bet the installers are gonna show up on torrent sites now as an angry response to this.

Well, which is it?