Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dominic White posted:

This wasn't a prank. It was 4chan level trolling. Lying, then waiting a few days, then going 'OLOL I lied u mad?' isn't a joke. It's a desperate, sad cry for attention.

It was a good prank, come on, dont be a bitter old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dominic White posted:

This wasn't a prank. It was 4chan level trolling. Lying, then waiting a few days, then going 'OLOL I lied u mad?' isn't a joke. It's a desperate, sad cry for attention.
Yeah, and it was kind of lovely, but it worked. They'll be getting tons of coverage out of this.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Dominic White posted:

This is ridiculous. They're acting like they've just played the best prank in the world.

Kinda agree. I mean, I'm not angry about it, and I'm definitely still going to continue to go to them as a customer, but there are totally better ways of going about this.

Even a couple hours of heads-up for people to download what they had bought would've been awesome. Also, what about the people who were about to jump on that Codemasters 60% off sale that was still going on? What about those who might've just done that, but hadn't downloaded their purchases yet? (Were people who were in the process of downloading stuff cut off?)

If it were me in charge right now, I'd set up like a "25% off everything we have! We're sorry!" sale for the week. That way they get to roll in the cash, and people feel somewhat compensated for the downtime.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Alabama Blacksnake posted:

Cool, man. Glad you got System Shock 2. Guess there's no need for anyone else to offer it for sale ever again. Sweet.

:lol: Sorry if I offended you or anything, but everyone was talking about SS2 and I just wanted to point that out.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Elias_Maluco posted:

It was a good prank, come on, dont be a bitter old man.

No, it really wasn't. It would have been eye-rollable on April 1, it was just very poor taste out of the blue.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Batham posted:

Ah yes, I see what you mean now. An excellent ploy to find out which rat bastards, that call themselves gamers, haven't played them yet.

The heretics will burn just fine on the stake.

In my defense I somehow only found out the RPG genre while I was in college when I got with a different crowd into Dungeons and Dragons. I missed lots of classics and getting them digitally with no DRM and "certified" Windows 7 is something I'm pretty interested in.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Crazy stuff, but I guess I'll see where it goes from here. I too will be mass downloading, just because, these next several days or however long it takes. I hope they didn't lose any of the forums while they were redoing the lot of it though...

:resumes vigil for Radix: Beyond the Void to somehow arrive one day:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Christ, don't be a bunch of babies.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Squiggle posted:

Christ, don't be a bunch of babies.

Fat goons have a heart attack due to bad marketing, story at 10.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Christ I must be one of the babies because I poo poo my pants out of fear/confusion and then just jizzed them out of joy.. even though I saw this coming.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The people at GOG must have done something right if people are going nuts and getting all mad over it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

macnbc posted:

If it were me in charge right now, I'd set up like a "25% off everything we have! We're sorry!" sale for the week. That way they get to roll in the cash, and people feel somewhat compensated for the downtime.

Hahah, jesus.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Skeezy posted:

The people at GOG must have done something right if people are going nuts and getting all mad over it.

Well, I'm now very hesitant to ever give them money again, and if at all possible, will be reccomending other sites instead. If that's good marketing, then hurrah for them.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Being worried at the beginning was understandable, but now that everything's coming back, anyone still upset is like the fat kid who was a target of something mean but harmless screaming "ITS NOT FUNNY GUYS COME ON"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dominic White posted:

Well, I'm now very hesitant to ever give them money again, and if at all possible, will be reccomending other sites instead. If that's good marketing, then hurrah for them.

All those other non drm sites. Good luck buddy. I'm sure they are losing sleep over your lack of business.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Skeezy posted:

Yeah, a stunt that cost a couple of days of uptime and resulted in coverage across the entire computer games media is pretty awesome. And as we've seen, the anger instantly disappates into 'ooh, Baldur's Gate! I hope we get System Shock!'

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I don't mind giving them money. If this little fiasco has taught me anything its to backup all my GOG games.

EDIT: I think I'm just too simple cause none of the GOG stuff bothered me :unsmith:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

quakster posted:

I've wanted a copy, if for no other reason than out of curiosity. Now I'll just need Jazz Jackrabbit and the expansions for the first two C&C games and I'll have all the old PC games I've wanted to own.
Unfortunately http://www.epicclassics.com has the rights and still want $19-25 for old Epic games, the bastards.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, lemmie just thumb through the other alternatives for picking up One Unit Whole Blood or Heroes of Might and Magic 3...

EDIT: GOG has lots of awesome old games for sale patched up to work on modern operating systems and you're going to protest it because of a bad PR stunt?

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 22, 2010

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Dominic White posted:

It was debated to death earlier but since they're staying with the no DRM thing, you just download your game, get a good backup solution and you're safer than with your retail discs. Even if you don't trust them, you don't have to ever go back to the website once you got your game. If the website is still on when you want to play you can download it again just to be sure you have the latest version they put online.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Okay I was very annoyed at the way they handled the whole thing but the video with the GOG execs as monks was hilarious and made me forgive them.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Squiggle posted:

Being worried at the beginning was understandable, but now that everything's coming back, anyone still upset is like the fat kid who was a target of something mean but harmless screaming "ITS NOT FUNNY GUYS COME ON"

Well you shouldn't have been mean to him in the first place :colbert: .

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have to admit, they got me. With all the 'new challenges' and 'moving forward' weasel-speak on the front page, they really made it sound like something horrible and corporate was happening. It's not like this sort of thing hasn't happened before. Still kind of a dumb stunt, they could have done it a little more classily with it still being cheeky as hell, like inventing a made-up company with a lovely website that GOG had been sold to. Even still, this is a lot to do for a fairly basic site revision + Baldur's Gate I.

I'm happiest that they're continuing without compromising the DRM-free sales model.

Brushing gravel and feces out of my hair...

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hey doctorfrog, where's your avatar from?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Nefarious posted:

I know it was just a misguided marketing attempt, but part of me wishes it was a deliberate experiment on the nerd psyche. It took all of one day without being able to download games (with the constant assurance that you would be able to again soon) for this thread to devolve into the internet equivalent everyone defecating all over the place and rubbing gravel into their hair.

I have to quote this in my article.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

BadAstronaut posted:

Hey doctorfrog, where's your avatar from?

http://drfrog.wordpress.com/about/#comment-82

tl;dr: it's from the Oryx roguelike tileset.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Looks like they uploaded another video highlighting some of their new releases, OMG I cant wait.

:f5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R-7ZO4I1pI

r2x
Jan 13, 2008
What did the teapot say to the chalk?

Nothing, you silly. Teapots can't talk.
Honestly, a big sale after this wouldn't be a bad idea (and garner more coverage).

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Nthman posted:

Looks like they uploaded another video highlighting some of their new releases, OMG I cant wait.

HOLY poo poo SYSTEM SHOCK 2

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Kill yourself Nthman.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
They changed the name of the site to Good Original Games and will release System Shock 3 for 9.99 DRM free

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Nthman posted:

You did it!

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

AxeManiac posted:

They changed the name of the site to Good Original Games and will release System Shock 3 for 9.99 DRM free

Duke Nukem Forever only on GoG :wth:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Snowmanatee posted:

No, it really wasn't. It would have been eye-rollable on April 1, it was just very poor taste out of the blue.

I liked it :colbert:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
A Polish PR adventure, eh?

>EAT THE MYSTERIOUS PIEROGI

This Pierogi tastes AWFUL!

You lose 3 hitpoint

>|

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Anachronox 2 and 3? Neat, I always wondered how it was going to end.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Yodzilla posted:

Kill yourself Nthman.

and DEVILDOGOOORAH for getting my hopes up about SS2.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nthman posted:

This is even more awesome.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
What if, like, instead of System Shock 1 and 2, they got BioShock 1 and 2, man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Yeah I'm sure as hell not laughing off the whole affair, even with their apologetic monk costumes, but at the same time it's reminded me that I really probably should be backing this stuff up more regularly. Even though I would expect some sort of warning in the event that something were to happen to GOG, so as to let me back stuff up at that point -- but now they've basically demonstrated that they can't even be expected to do that.

It's definitely a dick move on their part and something that could have been handled better. It's made me leery of their otherwise untarnished reliability, which doesn't seem like something you want to do for a site upgrade and a new release regardless of how big a name it is, but I suspect my usage of the service will remain pretty much unchanged. It's still an awesome business model that doesn't deserve to be boycotted because of a dumb move like this.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 22, 2010