Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think Hasbro might own the rights to the old Microprose stuff. If they do, that could be a pretty sweet back catalog to bring on board. Sword of the Samurai, Civilization 1, motherfucking Darklands.

Give me Mechwarrior 2 & 3 and we'll be even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
I've always pronounced it "gawg" and not "gee oh gee"

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As in, "how the hell did the gog get into the trash again??"

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Rocketlex posted:

To be fair, I'd be pretty pissed about that, too.

Okay, what if it was 9/11 and the WTC was full of classic games, free of DRM? While the firefighters are out there picking up body parts and country singers are thinking of words that rhyme with A-rab, the internet is posting furiously about the games while GWB (steam) is reading children's books.

DRM isn't free. It cost 5.99 or 9.99.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

iastudent posted:

Give me Mechwarrior 2 & 3 and we'll be even.

MW1 and 2 are Activision games and I kind of doubt they'll deal with GOG but who knows. They're DRM obsessed. MW3 is Microprose though, so if Hasbro got and kept the rights after they bought Microprose, that's likely and would be sweet.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I've always said it like Goog, since they are Polish. Why, how did they say it?

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

BigJoe posted:

I wonder if one day saying that your Polish will be a cop out for messing up and people will instantly forgive you for whatever you did.

"Mr. President you just launched our entire nuclear arsenal towards all the major capitol cities of the world."

"Yeah about that... I'm half-Polish. My bad.

"It's okay Mr. President, we all make mistakes."

Funny that you use that example, Since Joe Biden has perfected this. His reputation as a gaffe machine means he can pretty much say whatever he wants, and everyone just goes "Oh that Joe Biden".

24-7 Urkel Cosplay fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 23, 2010

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

MW1 and 2 are Activision games and I kind of doubt they'll deal with GOG but who knows. They're DRM obsessed. MW3 is Microprose though, so if Hasbro got and kept the rights after they bought Microprose, that's likely and would be sweet.

Oh... well I'd be happy with MW3 then. I just want to experience Autocannon-20 duels from ten paces all over again.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Chapter 2:

Mostly explains the site improvements. 98% of the code has been re-written, games can be quickly sorted on the front page via genre, game store filtering based on co-op, singleplayer and multiplayer. Various smaller improvements are also mentioned.

GoGmixes are usermade "game playlists" that users can make and publish and share with the rest of the community. You can make playlists like "Female lead characters" or "Infinity Engine RPG's" or whatever and people can browse those lists.

Chapter 3:

New partners:

Hasbro and Atari.

Baldur's Gate is still the only new title mentioned, but they said that "Baldur's Gate is only the beginning".

A Nice Big Dinner fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 23, 2010

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I've always pronounced it gog as in goggles. (Or Goggalor)

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
What D+D Games can we speculate are coming now? I'm going to assume icewind dale!

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

AxeManiac posted:

I've always said it like Goog, since they are Polish. Why, how did they say it?

In the video they were saying "gee oh gee". That's just too much effort for me to say every letter.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

What D+D Games can we speculate are coming now? I'm going to assume icewind dale!

This would be the best for me, since I lost my physical copies a looooong time ago and never bothered to re-buy.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I would gladly pay full retail price for a copy of MW3 that will run on 64-bit Win7 without problems.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

What's the current rights ownership on SSI's old D&D titles? A lot of their early-mid 90s stuff I've always been curious to try even if it isn't the best, and their 80s "gold box" games as well.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MW1 and 2 are Activision games and I kind of doubt they'll deal with GOG but who knows.

Well, considering that gog already signed Activision and had that whole "Month of Activision" promotion a while back, it probably wouldn't be a stretch to see MW1 & 2

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Planescape. I'd love to be able to play Torment again since a friend lost the CDs on me years ago.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dramicus posted:

Well, considering that gog already signed Activision and had that whole "Month of Activision" promotion a while back, it probably wouldn't be a stretch to see MW1 & 2

Oh, guess I missed that somehow.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My favorite dungeons and dragons game is system shock 2 get on it already gog

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Oh, guess I missed that somehow.

I got the vampire game thinking it was the full 3D one... oh boy! I didn't think vampires could be so boring and whiny, they really beat Twilight to the punch on that one.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Howard Beale posted:

Guys, you're missing the point here. A Web2.0 site has actually gone out of beta. Circle this day on your calendar with a big red marker.

Holy poo poo, you're right. AND they're profitable without scamming their users with 3rd party developers to launder the money.

No really, this guy has a point.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Same here. Start saying "goggles" and stop early.

The one game where you run the installer in WinXP or newer and the operating syetem openly says "YOU ARE TRYING TO INSTALL A GAME WITH KNOWN SEVERE ISSUES. PLEASE DON'T DO THIS TO YOURSELF.

Thanks,
Microsoft."? That'll probably be an amazing challenge, but I'd give them $6 with expansions.

The little I did play of it was amazing though. Even had pulse/ER lasers instead of just "lasers" with maybe different heat loads per shot... if that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are the same property right, one means that there's no obstacle to the other coming?

Because I think I can wait until they roll the second one out and then a few weeks later there'll be the inevitable collection deal.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
You can buy all the baldur's gates and IceWind dales on an 8 disk set for about $20 at most EBGames' still today.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just hoping that after Baldur's Gate is out it doesn't return to the same trap it was having in the past few weeks, where it kept being "fairly recent Europe game or overpriced adventure game that cheaper on Steam", with only a single title per week. I will give you another chance GoG, but don't take up the Wii's Shop Channel philosophy.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mug posted:

...on an 8 disk set...

I'll wait for gog to release their version, thanks.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dramicus posted:

I'll wait for gog to release their version, thanks.

Exactly.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Andrigaar posted:

The little I did play of it was amazing though. Even had pulse/ER lasers instead of just "lasers" with maybe different heat loads per shot... if that.

If you're talking about MW3, pulse lasers behave differently in that one than other Battletech games. More like semi-continuous lasers rather than the rapid-fire ones from other sources.

MW3's idea of how weapons worked in regards to heat was pretty silly, at times. In the snow levels at the end of the game you could stack 4 ER PPCs without heat sinks and blow the legs off anyone who looked at you the wrong way.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
But if you don't install Baldur's Gate from the original CDs you don't get the loving blaring advert for Descent 3 scaring the poo poo out of you at the end.

Your loss.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Mug posted:

But if you don't install Baldur's Gate from the original CDs you don't get the loving blaring advert for Descent 3 scaring the poo poo out of you at the end.

Your loss.

You joke but there's a really great PS:T promo vid on one of the BG or Icewind Dale installs that I haven't found anywhere else.

edit: nevermind it was on the Fallout installer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s2Qkx3lN5s

One of the coolest trailers ever.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Elmo Oxygen posted:

You joke but there's a really great PS:T promo vid on one of the BG or Icewind Dale installs that I haven't found anywhere else.

Yeah the PST trailer is on the disk for Tales of the Sword Coast, I think.

Installing the entire set of IwD1 and 2 and BG1 and 2 treats you to some cool trailers along the way.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mug posted:

You can buy all the baldur's gates and IceWind dales on an 8 disk set for about $20 at most EBGames' still today.

This is an attractive deal, considering that if these come to GOG, they'll probably be in the high price bracket, and sold separately. OTOH, owning a game via GOG is almost more exciting than owning the boxed version of an old game these days.

Slightly related, when I bought Torment way back when, it was 6 CDs strong. With the game fully installed with all content, then archived in a .7z, it shrinks to around a gigabyte in size. There was a time when I swear publishers were deliberately offering games in huge multi-cd packages just to exaggerate the amount of content in them.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
i feel less irked at them for literally prostrating themselves and going "mea culpa" and not trying to spin it away as bad wording or something. it was a joke that didn't work and they are sorry, i forgive them.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

This is an attractive deal, considering that if these come to GOG, they'll probably be in the high price bracket, and sold separately. OTOH, owning a game via GOG is almost more exciting than owning the boxed version of an old game these days.

Slightly related, when I bought Torment way back when, it was 6 CDs strong. With the game fully installed with all content, then archived in a .7z, it shrinks to around a gigabyte in size. There was a time when I swear publishers were deliberately offering games in huge multi-cd packages just to exaggerate the amount of content in them.

I'm pretty sure back then all the backgrounds and sprites were using really poor compression so they took up a shitload of space, and I don't think we had MPeg compression for the FMVs, either.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mug posted:

I'm pretty sure back then all the backgrounds and sprites were using really poor compression so they took up a shitload of space, and I don't think we had MPeg compression for the FMVs, either.

What's weird is that Torment comes in 2, 4 and 6 disc versions.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Now having Interplay and Atari on board I think the answer to this is "all of them."

I'd love to try Temple of Elemental Evil again.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Stanko-Prussian posted:

i feel less irked at them for literally prostrating themselves and going "mea culpa" and not trying to spin it away as bad wording or something. it was a joke that didn't work and they are sorry, i forgive them.

Maybe it's our fault for not getting Polish humor.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
When the gently caress did everyone start saying "mea culpa" all the time?

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

What's weird is that Torment comes in 2, 4 and 6 disc versions.

Yeah Baldur's Gate 1 moved from 6 disks down to 2 after a few years when they recompressed the whole game with new techniques. Then they just put it on a DVD later on.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Bobfromsales posted:

Maybe it's our fault for not getting Polish humor.

If you think Polish humor is difficult, wait until you find out that all the old-school badasses use reverse Polish humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Tufty posted:

When the gently caress did everyone start saying "mea culpa" all the time?

I think Lost did it, that and the word MacGuffin or McMuffin or whatever.