Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Dumbledore didn't know he was Barty Crouch too. Or that Quirrell had Voldemort literally under a piece of cloth, but otherwise in plain view. He was kinda dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I figured he was just insanely cocky. I mean, he defeated one of the two greatest dark wizards of all time, and to the other one (who himself was insanely cocky, to the point of oversight) he was the only person he was afraid of. It may have been misplaced, but I can see him being too cocky to notice things like that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ahahaha Mark's freaking out about a chapter in Half-Blood Prince and he's still not up to the mindfuck which is the last 5 or so chapters. :allears:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Hedrigall posted:

Ahahaha Mark's freaking out about a chapter in Half-Blood Prince and he's still not up to the mindfuck which is the last 5 or so chapters. :allears:

I think I actually had figured out most of what he hasn't (and is freaking out about) by this point in the book.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I know it's been said already, but christ, gently caress that guy's site design. I like what posts I've read, but drat, it's drat near unnavigable.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Chamberk posted:

I know it's been said already, but christ, gently caress that guy's site design. I like what posts I've read, but drat, it's drat near unnavigable.

He posted a list of all his posts in an organized fashion. It only goes up to chapter ten of HBP though, so from that point on, just click the "previous post" button in each post to go to the next chapter.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I think Harry mighta got duped. The Cloak of Invisibility that's the third Hallow is claimed to be perfect. But Mad Eye's blue eye saw through it in year 4. I don't think that's the Hallow, Harry old pal.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FrensaGeran posted:

I think Harry mighta got duped. The Cloak of Invisibility that's the third Hallow is claimed to be perfect. But Mad Eye's blue eye saw through it in year 4. I don't think that's the Hallow, Harry old pal.

Well, Death/the brother who made the cloak didn't account for (fake) Moody's awesomeness. Checking out chicks naked through the back of your head through walls, is there any better magical artifact in the world?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

When Mrs Weasley asks Moody to check a wardrobe for Bogarts he just uses his eye to see right through the wood, so would that mean he saw the Bogart's 'true' form, or would it know it was being watched and turn into something he was scared of?
Also When Moody saw the socks Dobby gave Harry, why exactly was he using his eye to see through Harry's robes? :raise:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That Mark reads Harry Potter thing is strangely entertaining apart from the chatlogs he does for the really important final chapters, they're pretty much unreadable and dull.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

Dumbledore also saw / knew that they were there in Hagrid's cabin

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

geeves posted:

Dumbledore also saw / knew that they were there in Hagrid's cabin

I'm pretty sure Dumbledore knew everything they were doing and was probably even helping them.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

When Mrs Weasley asks Moody to check a wardrobe for Bogarts he just uses his eye to see right through the wood, so would that mean he saw the Bogart's 'true' form, or would it know it was being watched and turn into something he was scared of?
Also When Moody saw the socks Dobby gave Harry, why exactly was he using his eye to see through Harry's robes? :raise:

I'm almost certain I've read somewhere that Moody is the only person who has seen a boggart's true form.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Did anybody else wish that, just once, we could have followed Hermione to an Ancient Runes class? Like honestly that's one of my biggest disappointments, if that elucidates how much I liked these books.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I more wanted to meet her parents.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Hedrigall posted:

I never thought about this until you posted it. That would have been an interesting scene, a muggle's reaction to having a wizard child (was there a term for that besides mudblood?).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

They showed up in the second book.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ImpAtom posted:

They showed up in the second book.

And spoke zero lines of dialogue nor were given names.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hedrigall posted:

And spoke zero lines of dialogue nor were given names.

IIRC, the only names they were ever given were the ones Hermione gave them when she modified their memories to protect them from Voldemort in DH - Wendell and Monica Wilkins, the childless couple who finally realize their dream of living in Australia.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mark Who Reads Harry Potter will no doubt declare that moment to be the saddest thing in the world.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

thebardyspoon posted:

That Mark reads Harry Potter thing is strangely entertaining apart from the chatlogs he does for the really important final chapters, they're pretty much unreadable and dull.

I don't know, I find the whole thing pretty entertaining. He's just so enthusiastic and excited about everything. The chatlogs can get a little in-jokey, but they also really come off as him just being super, super excited, so I am okay with it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

enuma elish posted:

I don't know, I find the whole thing pretty entertaining. He's just so enthusiastic and excited about everything. The chatlogs can get a little in-jokey, but they also really come off as him just being super, super excited, so I am okay with it.

I wouldn't mind except he always does it for chapters I want him to give commentary on.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

she modified their memories to protect them from Voldemort in DH - Wendell and Monica Wilkins, the childless couple who finally realize their dream of living in Australia.

Which is one of the most awesome yet sad-making things Hermione's ever done. It could have backfired and she might never have been able to modify them back.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So Mark just saw Snape kill Dumbledore. It's making me sad about it all over again. :(

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Which is one of the most awesome yet sad-making things Hermione's ever done. It could have backfired and she might never have been able to modify them back.

Hermione's relationship with the non-magic world would have been interesting to explore further. I mean Harry understandably had a reason to jump straight into the wizarding community without looking back. Hermione actually has loving and supportive parents, so it' s interesting how she would reconcile that with prevailing attitude in the wizarding world towards muggles.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh my god I am loving the hell out of Deathly Hallows. I'm about a third of the way through, and there is so much I don't remember. That's what happens when you read a book in 9 hours then forget about it for 3 years I guess. I'm really loving the Life & Lies of Albus Dumbledore subplot.

Now Harry and co are about to infiltrate the Ministry. This is so loving great and I can't wait to rediscover what happens next. :allears:

e: want to read this book

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 25, 2010

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

So Mark just saw Snape kill Dumbledore. It's making me sad about it all over again. :(

It's interesting to see his (wrong) conclusions about Snape and Dumbledore. I can't remember what I thought about them when I read the book, but it's pretty impressive how JKR misled everyone and then turned their opinion of Snape upside down in the last book.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I wasn't sure about what happened until Harry chased Snape out to the front door and Snape says something to the effect of "You will be defeated again and again until you close your mind etc", basically giving one last bit of advice before he'd never see him again. I put that together with the unbreakable vow and Snape's immense value to the Order possibly being more important than anything Dumbledore could do.

But I still had my doubts.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Oh my god I am loving the hell out of Deathly Hallows. I'm about a third of the way through, and there is so much I don't remember. That's what happens when you read a book in 9 hours then forget about it for 3 years I guess. I'm really loving the Life & Lies of Albus Dumbledore subplot.

Now Harry and co are about to infiltrate the Ministry. This is so loving great and I can't wait to rediscover what happens next. :allears:

I'm sure other people agree with this, but I would always get around to listening to the audiobook of an HP book in lieu of re-reading it directly, it's really worth it and I highly recommend them. The British ones with Stephen Fry are by far the best - there's nothing inherently wrong with Jim Dale but he really can't measure up at all. For me, having the book read aloud is like a completely different experience, and causes me to notice and appreciate some of the subtle little details I might miss when reading it normally. It's also worth it because Stephen Fry is loving awesome, and I adore listening to his voice for hours on end :shobon: He's just a great performer, and his voices of various characters are so definitive in my mind that I actually hear them in my head when I read the books, rather than, say, the voices of the actors from the movies.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I actually do have a bit of a problem with Jim Dale's reading of the Harry Potter books. It's whenever he is reading a part where people are talking. It's like he failed to read ahead so he'll say the line in a completely different manner than what is written. So the line would be "'But I only said that to try and persuade you to come to the Lovegoods'!' cried Hermione in exasperation." And Jim Dale would either read it as a normal sentence (which isn't terrible) or he would put a completely opposite tone on it, perhaps a whisper. It started to bother me after a while. But that's just my opinion.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Stephen Fry is the best human being on the face of the earth

and his audiobook readings are quite good.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
The MRHP blog is pretty fun to read, if only to see how someone reacts to the books the first time. By this point I've known that Sirius was good and Lupin a werewolf since 2000. It's hilarious that these facts are blowing his mind now.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Chamberk posted:

The MRHP blog is pretty fun to read, if only to see how someone reacts to the books the first time. By this point I've known that Sirius was good and Lupin a werewolf since 2000. It's hilarious that these facts are blowing his mind now.

That's why I like the blog so much too. It's almost like reading the entire series again for the first time.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

That's why I like the blog so much too. It's almost like reading the entire series again for the first time.

It's even got all the humor stylings that I had as a 12 year old to round it off!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just finished the Ministry infiltration part of DH. That is going to be so much fun in the movie, I can't wait to see that bitch Umbridge again.

Now I'm up to the dreaded CAMPING section. To be honest it didn't bother me that much when I first read the book, because a lot still happens while they're camping. Looking forward to the next Life and Lies extract :3:

Chickenfat
Nov 14, 2008

It ain't easy bein' greasy.
After a re-reading and re-listening, I've become much fonder of the camping section. I think the monotony of reading it really mirrors how Harry, Ron and Hermione felt throughout the section. They were bored, frustrated and totally sick of each other, desperately waiting for something,anything to happen that would help their quest for Horcruxes.

Surly Duff
May 6, 2007

Surly only looks out for one guy -- Surly.
I re-read the book yesterday, and in some places the pacing of the timeline is really messed up: pretty much nothing happens to the gang between early-mid September (when they break into the Ministry) until Christmas (they run into Nagini at Godric's Hollow). Yeah, Ron leaves, but there's almost no interaction with the outside world.

After Ron comes back (a few days after the Nagini encounter), they almost immediately go to the Lovegood's and learn about the Hallows. After that, they don't interact with anyone until they're kidnapped and taken to the Malfoy's house, and that's in March.

Harry spends months obsessed with the Hallows, and it's only covered in a few pages. This pacing quirk is found in all of the books (especially the early ones, which are much shorter), but it's really noticeable here when the gang isn't distracted by school.

It's also interesting that the gang only makes forward progress towards destroying the Horcruxes when they make mistakes: Hermione accidentally lets Phineas Nigellus Black know where they are, letting Snape send them the sword, and they only find out the location of the cup after they're captured. Had everything gone according to 'plan', they might never have destroyed the Horcruxes.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Surly Duff posted:

It's also interesting that the gang only makes forward progress towards destroying the Horcruxes when they make mistakes: Hermione accidentally lets Phineas Nigellus Black know where they are, letting Snape send them the sword, and they only find out the location of the cup after they're captured. Had everything gone according to 'plan', they might never have destroyed the Horcruxes.

Isn't that the point that Harry's been making for years? His success is hugely based on luck and the help of people more insightful or capable than himself.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

CaptainJuan posted:

Isn't that the point that Harry's been making for years? His success is hugely based on luck and the help of people more insightful or capable than himself.

Yeah, but it's also pointed out his success is also because he's fundamentally a good and brave person - he gets put in the right place, and then he does the right thing, which most people wouldn't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
Rowling is going to be on Oprah tomorrow, and she's going to talk about the future of HP books. Some of you might find it interesting.

• Locked thread