Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Wyatt posted:

I used to work in a lab breaking down human bodies for their skeletal remains, so I can tell you everything you ever wanted to know.

Regarding the dry versus wet issue, don't over-think it. It means exactly what it sounds like. If you feel like they are fragile to handle, then they are dry. If they sat out in the sun baking all summer, they are going to be more brittle than if they'd been dried in a controlled environment. But if you build your bone-suit correctly, then breaks and fractures could add to the charm.

Alright, cool. Being that they're dry, is there any sort of cheap, easily available concoction I can throw together to harden them? That page suggests a thinned-out resin of some sort, so could I just cut some epoxy with water and soak them in there, or what?

I mean, barring that I could probably just use them as-is and hope not to totally destroy them, but I'd like to at least try to reinforce them somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Okay. Thanks. We can only access one domain on this computer, so I'm not that worried about security. Just convenience.

Edit: Chinese Tony Danza, have you considered soaking them in epoxy resin?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

stubblyhead posted:

Yes, that is infuriating to me as well. It also refuses to leave me logged in no matter how many times I say to do it. I asked about this myself a while back and got no good answer, so if you find a way please post it.

Now this is stupid. They aren't even consistent in their inconsistency - the people who have posted have said they too have experienced the things I said, but I have not experienced this one. Unless it's a cookie problem on your end.

Edit: Here's another question. It's probably a very ignorant question, but that ignorance will not be dispelled unless I ask it:

I know there's a stereotype of children of incest having deformities like eyes way too close together and so on. How true is this?

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 22, 2010

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Anjow posted:

I know there's a stereotype of children of incest having deformities like eyes way too close together and so on. How true is this?

It depends. The closer the relationship is, the higher the chance of deformity; but a child born from two first cousins for the first time only has something like 6-8% chance of genetic defects compared to 3-4% for the general population. There is also a somewhat greater chance of stillbirth. However, if that child then has another child of incest, this effect compounds, and the chance of deformity will become even greater as the gene pool gets more limited. Parent-child and sibling incest has more of an effect, second cousins and onwards has less.

Generally speaking though, the stereotype only holds true of families that have been committing incest for generations: old aristocracy, ultra white trash, etc.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Anjow posted:

As far as I was taught, the corellation between inbreeding and birth defects stems from the propensity of incestuous breeding being more likely to produce homozygotes. Homozygotes that carry birth defects, as long as they are not so destructive as to prevent further breeding, are passed down to further generations through inbreeding with the guarantee of being passed on. We called them "diverging effects" in anthropology. Essentially, all that inbreeding does is homogenize a population where diversity is beneficial due to the effects of disease and congenital defects. It doesn't, effectively, CAUSE birth defect, especially within a single generation.

The facial deformities that you describe are mostly the result of the way incest is portrayed in motion pictures (see: Deliverance, Hill have Eyes, several X-file episodes).

That was probably a much more involved answer than you were looking for.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Anjow posted:

Uncle Cecil addressed this recently.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2621/are-there-inbred-families-in-the-ozarks-appalachians-like-in-em-deliverance

e: And by recently I mean five years ago. I happened to read the article a few days ago though for some reason, though.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Both very good answers, thanks. And yes, the stereotypes I had in mind were either from films like that, cartoons, or the Habsburg lip.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Is the song "Alive" by Pearl Jam really about incest? The lyrics are too vague to mean anything to me but apparently it is about incest?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

Is the song "Alive" by Pearl Jam really about incest? The lyrics are too vague to mean anything to me but apparently it is about incest?

The Wikipedia article for "Alive" say that yes, it is about an incestuous relationship (amongst other topics) and references an interview with Cameron Crowe in Rolling Stone that is apparently a broken link now.

MissFortune
Feb 15, 2009

The kind of fortune that never misses.
I feel really moronic asking this, but I'm writing a thank you note at the end of a long day.

Is the phrase "After the conversation with Kevin and yourself, I felt even more enthusiastic about the position." grammatically correct, particularly the "Kevin and yourself" usage?

It just looks really awkward for some reason.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

MissFortune posted:

I feel really moronic asking this, but I'm writing a thank you note at the end of a long day.

Is the phrase "After the conversation with Kevin and yourself, I felt even more enthusiastic about the position." grammatically correct, particularly the "Kevin and yourself" usage?

It just looks really awkward for some reason.

I don't think it's grammatically correct, and it sounds very awkward at any rate. I would write "you and Kevin" personally.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Pretty sure you don't need the reflexive pronoun "yourself" since its antecedent, the person to whom you are speaking, is not previously referenced in the same clause. "You" will suffice even as one of the objects of the preposition "with".

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
A general rule of thumb is that adding "and someone" shouldn't change the other pronoun. If "After the conversation with yourself" doesn't sound right, "After the conversation with Kevin and yourself" isn't right either.

MissFortune
Feb 15, 2009

The kind of fortune that never misses.
Alright, sounds good. Thanks, everyone.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Where is a cheap place to buy new Bluray cases? Specifically, I ordered the X-Men Trilogy on Bluray, and one of the movies came with the part that holds the middle two discs broken, so it slips around when it moves. Also, while not a functional problem, the Mad Men Season One set came with a painted-on logo at the top of the case, and when I removed the protective tape part of it peeled off, so I'd like to replace it. The X-Men movie case is a standard sized case that holds 3 discs, and the Mad Men case is the same size as Breaking Bad Season 2's case (slightly thicker), which has the silver lettering. Anal, I know, but I want these things to look nice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Where is a cheap place to buy new Bluray cases? Specifically, I ordered the X-Men Trilogy on Bluray, and one of the movies came with the part that holds the middle two discs broken, so it slips around when it moves. Also, while not a functional problem, the Mad Men Season One set came with a painted-on logo at the top of the case, and when I removed the protective tape part of it peeled off, so I'd like to replace it. The X-Men movie case is a standard sized case that holds 3 discs, and the Mad Men case is the same size as Breaking Bad Season 2's case (slightly thicker), which has the silver lettering. Anal, I know, but I want these things to look nice.

Meritline sell plenty of CD/DVD cases but I think it's going to be nearly impossible to buy original Bluray cases.

Maybe buy some off eBay, swap the casing then resell them again? Might even be cheaper that way.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Are Schick and Gillette male razor replacement cartridges compatible?

I can't tell which one this razor is for. There is no logo on it; I assume its a Walgreens generic for one of them.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 23, 2010

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I moved into an apartment with my ex-girlfriend. We broke up, she moved out, and I continued to live there for about six months. The refund check I got for the damage deposit has both of our names on it. I don't want to involve her in the process of cashing it because I need the money now and she's going to dick me around and make me wait for days or weeks, and that's if she hasn't moved out of state like she was planning the last time I talked to her. My credit union wouldn't let me deposit the check because her name isn't on my checking account.

Am I going to be able to cash this check by myself? It's drawn on Keybank, if it matters.

And for what it's worth, I paid the whole deposit with my own money, including non-refundable pet deposits for her animals, and repaired damage that she did to the apartment through carelessness, so I have no moral obligation to split the refund with her.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Fire In The Disco posted:

The Wikipedia article for "Alive" say that yes, it is about an incestuous relationship (amongst other topics) and references an interview with Cameron Crowe in Rolling Stone that is apparently a broken link now.
But the Wayback Machine has it archived.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Alright, cool. Being that they're dry, is there any sort of cheap, easily available concoction I can throw together to harden them? That page suggests a thinned-out resin of some sort, so could I just cut some epoxy with water and soak them in there, or what?

Since you're not trying to preserve these as a museum quality specimen, the best option would probably be to use an epoxy. Cut it with water and brush it over the bones. If you don't want to shell out too much, you could also use Elmer's Glue. It costs almost nothing and dries completely clear. Epoxy would be stronger, but a tad more costly.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I just saw these Kawasaki tools at my local discount place:
a circular page
edit: the page is actually rectangular; it's from a "circular"

I want a cordless drill to have in my truck and that's about what I was hoping to pay. Would I be better off with something like Ryobi? That seems to be the most commonly seen bargain basement power tool brand. It really doesn't have to be anything special.
Should I look for some used Dewalt stuff instead, as my brother suggested?

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 23, 2010

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

Eyeball posted:

I moved into an apartment with my ex-girlfriend. We broke up, she moved out, and I continued to live there for about six months. The refund check I got for the damage deposit has both of our names on it. I don't want to involve her in the process of cashing it because I need the money now and she's going to dick me around and make me wait for days or weeks, and that's if she hasn't moved out of state like she was planning the last time I talked to her. My credit union wouldn't let me deposit the check because her name isn't on my checking account.

Am I going to be able to cash this check by myself? It's drawn on Keybank, if it matters.

And for what it's worth, I paid the whole deposit with my own money, including non-refundable pet deposits for her animals, and repaired damage that she did to the apartment through carelessness, so I have no moral obligation to split the refund with her.

If it says the magic word "or" between your names, then you'll be able to cash it yourself. If it doesn't, you're poo poo out of luck - no reputable bank will allow you to cash or deposit it unless both names have been signed on the back.

P.S. Forgery is a felony regardless of the dollar amount, don't even think about it.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
So my ISP, Alltell, decided to screw me over by selling the only tower near me to AT&T--and then they discontinued my service without notice because I'm "roaming". After calling no less than two 800-numbers and asking them what the gently caress, they turned my access back on until the end of the month and reduced my bill.

Only two providers, Verizon and AT&T, will work out here in the boonies. Problem is, they have a 5GB a month limit and will charge you astronomical fees if you exceed that (one guy I know lost track of his data usage and got a $3,000 bill). In the magical age of 2010, when all websites have at least a megabyte of flash bullshit on each page, 5GB is a loving joke. However, Virgin Mobile's 3G network barely works. I only get one bar, and it takes nearly a full minute just to load Google. But Virgin's access is unlimited and it costs half of what I would have to pay those other pricks for 5 gigs. Is there any way I can boost the signal on this thing, or am I utterly hosed until I move closer to civilization (which won't be happening in the foreseeable future)?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

So my ISP, Alltell, decided to screw me over by selling the only tower near me to AT&T--and then they discontinued my service without notice because I'm "roaming". After calling no less than two 800-numbers and asking them what the gently caress, they turned my access back on until the end of the month and reduced my bill.

Only two providers, Verizon and AT&T, will work out here in the boonies. Problem is, they have a 5GB a month limit and will charge you astronomical fees if you exceed that (one guy I know lost track of his data usage and got a $3,000 bill). In the magical age of 2010, when all websites have at least a megabyte of flash bullshit on each page, 5GB is a loving joke. However, Virgin Mobile's 3G network barely works. I only get one bar, and it takes nearly a full minute just to load Google. But Virgin's access is unlimited and it costs half of what I would have to pay those other pricks for 5 gigs. Is there any way I can boost the signal on this thing, or am I utterly hosed until I move closer to civilization (which won't be happening in the foreseeable future)?

Actually these days, both Verizon and AT&T charge you $10 per extra gigabyte of usage, they no longer do the kind of overage charges that lead to a $3000 bill domestically.

I don't get it though are you using cellular as your only internet access? If you can't get cable or DSL look into an actual wireless internet provider, one that doesn't use cell service. They usually have better plans, usually don't have data caps, and usually are more reliable.

And you don't really have a hope of improving your connection to Virgin Mobile (they use Sprint for their actual network by the way). if you had land-based broadband you COULD get a femtocell, a device which you out in your house that creates access to the cell network through your broadband line, but that's really not an option if the cell service is your broadband.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

fishmech posted:

Actually these days, both Verizon and AT&T charge you $10 per extra gigabyte of usage, they no longer do the kind of overage charges that lead to a $3000 bill domestically.

I don't get it though are you using cellular as your only internet access? If you can't get cable or DSL look into an actual wireless internet provider, one that doesn't use cell service. They usually have better plans, usually don't have data caps, and usually are more reliable.

And you don't really have a hope of improving your connection to Virgin Mobile (they use Sprint for their actual network by the way). if you had land-based broadband you COULD get a femtocell, a device which you out in your house that creates access to the cell network through your broadband line, but that's really not an option if the cell service is your broadband.

No cable or DSL in my area. In fact, the landlines are so awful that dial-up isn't even an option. The only way to transmit data here is to transmit it over the air. Alltel was working pretty well, but not anymore I guess. The pisser is that Verizon would charge me exactly the same amount as Alltel, but they would cap my service.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

No cable or DSL in my area. In fact, the landlines are so awful that dial-up isn't even an option. The only way to transmit data here is to transmit it over the air. Alltel was working pretty well, but not anymore I guess. The pisser is that Verizon would charge me exactly the same amount as Alltel, but they would cap my service.

Well Verizon IS Alltel, seeing as they bought them and all. But yeah, they've loosened the overage charges on it. Like I said though, try to find an actual wireless ISP, I'd reccomend one but they're pretty much all regional not national.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DO you get T-Mobile service at all? T-Mobile's cap is 10gb, then they drop you to Edge speeds until the end of the month, no overage charges.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

fishmech posted:

Well Verizon IS Alltel, seeing as they bought them and all. But yeah, they've loosened the overage charges on it. Like I said though, try to find an actual wireless ISP, I'd reccomend one but they're pretty much all regional not national.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to look into local wireless providers, but they've always seemed a little shady. As for T-Mobile, their coverage map is a pain, but the prognosis doesn't look that good. I guess I'd have to go talk to one of their people personally.

I hate having to sift through a morass of constantly merging, shrinking, and expanding telecom companies just to find one that isn't designed to screw their customers. :sigh:

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

sc4rs posted:

If it says the magic word "or" between your names, then you'll be able to cash it yourself. If it doesn't, you're poo poo out of luck - no reputable bank will allow you to cash or deposit it unless both names have been signed on the back.

P.S. Forgery is a felony regardless of the dollar amount, don't even think about it.

I think if it is just two names without any "and/&" verbiage it is ok for one party endorsement.

Anyway, I had the same problem once (and the check specifically said "&" between the names) at the teller so I just went out to the ATM endorsed it with just my signature and deposited it. Don't know exactly how legal it is but whatever, it was my money.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I saw this ceiling light at an airport parking lot:

I love it. You can't see the lightbulbs at all and the light is all reflected off the ceiling. The problem is, it's almost impossible to find ceiling lights like this.

So far what I've found:

http://www.allmodernlighting.com/Artemide-R425000-R425010-rte1992.html

http://www.amazon.com/Eurofase-14090-028-3-Light-Convertible-Platinum/dp/B000QSK3OE

http://lightingbygregory.com/lighting/product/ar-r603310.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=ar-r603310&utm_campaign=artemide

Anyone know where I can find more lights along these lines?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Steve Yun posted:

I saw this ceiling light at an airport parking lot:

I love it. You can't see the lightbulbs at all and the light is all reflected off the ceiling. The problem is, it's almost impossible to find ceiling lights like this.

So far what I've found:

http://www.allmodernlighting.com/Artemide-R425000-R425010-rte1992.html

http://www.amazon.com/Eurofase-14090-028-3-Light-Convertible-Platinum/dp/B000QSK3OE

http://lightingbygregory.com/lighting/product/ar-r603310.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=ar-r603310&utm_campaign=artemide

That style's called an uplighter if that helps :)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

WillieWestwood posted:

But the Wayback Machine has it archived.

From the Crowe puff piece:

quote:

Working at hyperspeed, laboring days at a petroleum company to finance his budding career as a singer and song-writer, Vedder...

from the Wikipedia article

quote:

The tape made its way into the hands of vocalist Eddie Vedder, who was working as a San Diego gas station attendant at the time.

Nice obfuscation, Cameron Crowe.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Steve Yun posted:

The generic term for not seeing the bulbs/using a wall or ceiling as the reflector is "indirect lighting" if that helps.

AceO
Sep 23, 2010

Pierce, I can see you're really upset about this. I think you ought to sit down, take a stress pill, and think things over.
A couple weeks ago my mouse started acting like an rear end in a top hat. Randomly, it'll doubleclick things when I click once, text selection won't stay put as I try to define them, when I'm using the rectangle select tool in ps I'll be applying steady pressure but it'll start and stop new selections as I move around. Any obvious solutions/problems/something I hosed up myself inadvertently? It's a wireless logitech.

AceO fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 23, 2010

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

AceO posted:

A couple weeks ago my mouse started acting like an rear end in a top hat. Randomly, it'll doubleclick things when I click once, text selection won't stay put as I try to define them, when I'm using the rectangle select tool in ps I'll be applying steady pressure but it'll start and stop new selections as I move around. Any obvious solutions/problems/something I hosed up myself inadvertently? It's a wireless logitech.

Have you tried replacing the batteries? A lot of wireless mice get hosed up when the battery's low.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AceO posted:

I had the same problems on my old MX1000. Took the thing apart, cleaned all the electronics and contacts with contact cleaner and put it back together. Worked fine after that.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
I could have sworn that Google Maps used to have the option where you could input multiple destinations and it would give you the most time/gas-efficient route to take to hit all those stops. Is there another site that would do this for me?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Do you mean this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...google solved the traveling salesman problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Do you mean this?

No, I mean an option after you do that where it arranges the stops in the fastest way. As it is now it just puts them however you enter them/move them around. Maybe it does it and I can't see the option.

edit: Oh! Mapquest does it. This'll work. http://new.mapquest.com/routeplanner

chachu fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 24, 2010