Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

my1999gsr posted:

The warranty administrator at your dealership isn't doing his or her job correctly if they can't get the diagnostic time covered. It's the job of the technician to find the source of the complaint, order the part and replace it and it's certainly not up to you as the customer to figure that out for them. If it takes hours of digging around to find the causal part, it's not your fault and you certainly shouldn't have to pay for that, ESPECIALLY considering that your A4 has already been in and had a sunroof rattle "repaired" previously. Stick to your guns with the service department - emphasize that there is still a noise coming from the sunroof even though they told you it was repaired. If they still won't help you, call the VW/Audi customer service number and tell them what's going on.

Having said that. I don't have any TSBs for sunroof noise of any kind in your vehicle but typically we use a silicone-based additive on sunroof seals when they're squeaky but depending on the cause it may not work in your case.

Gotcha; as soon as I get some time on my hands, I'll be a bit more insistent on getting my problems fixed. It's CPO dammit, they should fix broken things (within reason)! I think they won't have a problem looking at the sunroof again, but a lot of the rattles have disappeared now that the weather is colder :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Hatebreed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVILg_MgGTs

Gonna try to do this when it's a bit warmer out to show how the clasp itself never works, but it's pretty lose in 60f weather.

Jesus christ, that's terrible man.

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot
Anddddd I just got the entire driver's side of my car keyed. 4 panels....

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Dude.. dude.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Hatebreed posted:

Who's wife did you gently caress?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

The steering control module was shorting with ground somehow and causing a short in the starter as well (that's what I was told/is in the paperwork), so the module was replaced and the car is back. The rear hatch plastic panel didn't get fixed at all though (but was marked as fixed) and I found a screwdriver just rolling around on the floor near the pedals :thumbsup:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

The steering control module was shorting with ground somehow and causing a short in the starter as well (that's what I was told/is in the paperwork), so the module was replaced and the car is back. The rear hatch plastic panel didn't get fixed at all though (but was marked as fixed) and I found a screwdriver just rolling around on the floor near the pedals :thumbsup:

Do you always go to this same service center? It sounds like some people are just getting stuck with bad ones.

Beta Ray Bill
Aug 18, 2009

Hatebreed posted:

Dude, some motherfucker keyed my buddy's A4 all the way around it about a month ago. Haters

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

Beta Ray Bill posted:

Dude, some motherfucker keyed my buddy's A4 all the way around it about a month ago. Haters

Dude bro.

Had no idea this could be considered something under insurance. Filed police report, and I already got State Farm on it. Apparently my deductible is only 100 bucks. So much for smoking few blunts this weekend. :smith:

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

Do you always go to this same service center? It sounds like some people are just getting stuck with bad ones.

There are two in my immediate area, neither one is excellent but I've had good and bad experiences with them. The one I went to this time gives out loaners pretty liberally which is great because I'd rather have a car and not have to rely on service shuttle and getting rides from friends to get around. I don't think there's a "great" VW service center around here.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Beta Ray Bill posted:

Someone keyed the passenger side of my '08 Rabbit a few months ago. Seriously, wtf do you have against a loving Rabbit?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I'm looking at getting a winter beater and stumbled upon this:
http://kelowna.en.craigslist.ca/cto/1964490163.html

It's a 1984 GTI 1.8 for $700. He says it has 2 good winter tires, 2 all seasons. The only problems with the car is that all the gauges (tach, speedo, fuel and temperature) don't work. If I could figure that out, do you guys think it'd be a good choice for a winter beater? Mechanical fuel injection.. Is it decently reliable?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Man, cars are pretty drat intelligent these days.. From your experience, is there anything that could cause it to fail or can fail because of that module? Or do they just go bad on their own every once in a while? How common is that anyway

They just sometimes go bad - there's nothing you or anyone else could have done to influence it's operation. I believe the new module is a supercession (meaning it's a newer version of the one the car was manufactured with) so it should be fine. As to how common failure is in that module, it's kind of hard to say but I've seen several replaced at my dealership and I've done a few myself so judging by that it's common enough.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

MrZig posted:

It's a 1984 GTI 1.8 for $700. He says it has 2 good winter tires, 2 all seasons. The only problems with the car is that all the gauges (tach, speedo, fuel and temperature) don't work. If I could figure that out, do you guys think it'd be a good choice for a winter beater? Mechanical fuel injection.. Is it decently reliable?

I don't really have much info on VWs this old - there aren't many left in my area (rust belt). I can tell you that GTI's of that vintage are a hoot to drive and the engine is pretty tough as long as it's had decent maintenance.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
So I've got a 2004 Jetta GLS 2.0l. Last week my headlights started flickering on and off when driving at night, as though going out. At first it took just a quick flick of the highbeams to get them back online, then later on it got worse to the point where I had to run on the DRL's instead of the night time lights (so I couldn't see my spedometer or anything on my dash.

Took it to the shop and they looked it over. Said that that my DRL relay module was messed up and needed fixing. 130 bucks for the part and labor. Then today they told me they tried to install it and it overloaded it right away and that it was a problem with the turn signals that caused the module to overload or something. Said they fried the first relay module they put in trying it out. Said that would be another 230 bucks.

I went ahead and had them do the work, picking it up tomorrow. Guess I should ask now if I got hosed or not...

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

my1999gsr posted:

They just sometimes go bad - there's nothing you or anyone else could have done to influence it's operation. I believe the new module is a supercession (meaning it's a newer version of the one the car was manufactured with) so it should be fine. As to how common failure is in that module, it's kind of hard to say but I've seen several replaced at my dealership and I've done a few myself so judging by that it's common enough.

Fair enough. Just worried that other stuff could get damaged, since "shorting to ground through starter" sounds scary (at least to someone not proficient with car electrics).

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

AppleCobbler posted:

I went ahead and had them do the work, picking it up tomorrow. Guess I should ask now if I got hosed or not...

Mind detailing exactly what they had to do from the invoice? I have the exact same model/year, and i'd like to file that info away if that happens to me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My Dad is picking up a 2010 Golf TDI Saturday morning to replace his 2000 Golf TDI, I'll be buying the 2000 from him. It currently needs a timing belt, new tires and new shocks/struts because the current ones are clunking on bumpy roads and when turning tight.

How difficult is the timing belt to swap for someone with experience wrenching on cars?

Does anyone have experience with chips or piggyback ECU's to get a bit more power out of the engine? I am also looking for a good trailer hitch for the car, I will use it to pull an aluminum single rail motorcycle trailer for my dirt bike and track bike.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

My Dad is picking up a 2010 Golf TDI Saturday morning to replace his 2000 Golf TDI, I'll be buying the 2000 from him. It currently needs a timing belt, new tires and new shocks/struts because the current ones are clunking on bumpy roads and when turning tight.

How difficult is the timing belt to swap for someone with experience wrenching on cars?

Does anyone have experience with chips or piggyback ECU's to get a bit more power out of the engine? I am also looking for a good trailer hitch for the car, I will use it to pull an aluminum single rail motorcycle trailer for my dirt bike and track bike.

The timing belt isn't really difficult but a diesel motor's timing must be dead-nuts perfect to run correctly; even having the timing out by half a tooth is enough to cause problems. There's a few special tools that make it much easier - most important is the tool to lock the fuel pump cam. If you can find a DIY t-belt guide for the TDI you're looking at, go through it and see if you're comfortable with all the steps.

As far as chipping for power, it's a turbo-diesel so it'll respond very well to chipping or a turbo upgrade.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

NitroSpazzz posted:

As far as performance mods go, at that age you should be thinking about an injector rebuild and/or new nozzles anyway as a maintenance item

nozzles, PP520 are good: http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse--dsh--dsh-VW-NOZZLES-and-INJECTORS/Categories

And only $145 more for an injector pop test / rebuild: http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-421/TDI-Injector-calibration%2C-Bosio/Detail

That should give you a power and torque boost you can really feel. If you need to go faster, this guy chipped my TDI back in the day:

http://jsrmonster1.globat.com/

Got to hang out on TDIClub and see where he's going to be next to get your tune done:

http://tdiclub.com

my1999gsr posted:

As far as chipping for power, it's a turbo-diesel so it'll respond very well to chipping or a turbo upgrade.

the order goes

chip / nozzles --> clutch --> injection pump --> turbo

if you're on a stock clutch, doing chip AND nozzles will make it slip. either/or is fine with the stock gear. the standard workaround is a VR6 clutch with the G60 corrado flywheel if you need to be able to handle more torque.

but speaking of turbos, it's worth checking / desooting the intake and checking to make sure the vanes in the turbo actuate properly; check tdiclub for details on both of these items

primitive fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 23, 2010

BlueBull
Jan 21, 2007
Anyone have any information on the VW Adaptive Chassis Control for the Golf Mk6 GTI?

I understand the basic premise as to what it is supposed to be doing in terms of softening / hardening the suspension, however I have gotten a long story from the salesman about the fact that it also adapts the steering (which would be very nice) and give a small boost to acceleration with DSG.

Am I being told a load of crap, and if yes, is it still a worthwhile extra in a GTI?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Cool, someone or something backed into my car and dented the hood a bit. I blame the GTI curse

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

BlueBull posted:

Anyone have any information on the VW Adaptive Chassis Control for the Golf Mk6 GTI?

I understand the basic premise as to what it is supposed to be doing in terms of softening / hardening the suspension, however I have gotten a long story from the salesman about the fact that it also adapts the steering (which would be very nice) and give a small boost to acceleration with DSG.

Am I being told a load of crap, and if yes, is it still a worthwhile extra in a GTI?

USDM Golf's don't get this feature, what the heck is it?

BlueBull
Jan 21, 2007
The car is being purchased in South Africa, and it says Adaptive Chassis Control (PDD) on the sales invoice. Not sure what the (PDD) stands for

Supposedly allows to switch between comfort, normal and sport in your suspension settings, which I can agree on, but the additional stuff I was told by the Salesman makes me suspicious.

Here's the link on the VW South Africa website where it is shown as an Optional Extra under Running Gear subsection.

http://www.vw.co.za/models/gti/specs/

BlueBull fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 23, 2010

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Hatebreed posted:

USDM Golf's don't get this feature, what the heck is it?

More stuff that can break.

Beta Ray Bill
Aug 18, 2009
More questions about my 1997 Audi A4 quattro. I've been having starter issues for awhile, I've now replaced the battery, starter(solenoid) and starter wire, and it still won't start. Sometimes it clicks, sometimes it won't do anything. I found a ground strap that was broken, could this be causing the issue? I bought a new ground strap and am about to replace it. Any other ideas on what would be causing this issue? Thanks guys

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Beta Ray Bill posted:

More questions about my 1997 Audi A4 quattro. I've been having starter issues for awhile, I've now replaced the battery, starter(solenoid) and starter wire, and it still won't start. Sometimes it clicks, sometimes it won't do anything. I found a ground strap that was broken, could this be causing the issue? I bought a new ground strap and am about to replace it. Any other ideas on what would be causing this issue? Thanks guys

Did you get the recall done on the ignition switch?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Regarding chipping TDI's, most people at TDIclub seem to go with either Rocket Chip or Upsolute brands. I have a Rocket Chip and I love it, but I don't have an evidence to suggest it'd be better than the same level Upsolute. There's also companies that do custom tuning, but that's really for people that are upgrading their injectors/turbos/exhausts.

idparts.com has injector nozzles on sale right now.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Opensourcepirate posted:

Regarding chipping TDI's, most people at TDIclub seem to go with either Rocket Chip or Upsolute brands. I have a Rocket Chip and I love it, but I don't have an evidence to suggest it'd be better than the same level Upsolute. There's also companies that do custom tuning, but that's really for people that are upgrading their injectors/turbos/exhausts.

idparts.com has injector nozzles on sale right now.

Most aftermarket ECU tunes are going to be within a pretty close margin. It's mostly about availability and price. When I had my APR tune they had the option of having a personal tune done there in case I ever decide to mod the car more. Wasn't worth the extra money to me as the tune is pretty much the only thing I'll ever do. But if you plan on putting a bigger turbo or other things like that, you might look into something like that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

veedubfreak posted:

Most aftermarket ECU tunes are going to be within a pretty close margin. It's mostly about availability and price. When I had my APR tune they had the option of having a personal tune done there in case I ever decide to mod the car more. Wasn't worth the extra money to me as the tune is pretty much the only thing I'll ever do. But if you plan on putting a bigger turbo or other things like that, you might look into something like that.

On that note Rocketchip offers free upgrades if you change nozzles, turbo, ect. He is kind of hard to get a hold of, however.

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

MrZig posted:

Seems like a decent deal as long as it's not rusty (check the strut towers, around the windshield and the rockers) and you have an alternate form of transportation just in case. On the cluster, the only thing that's a chronic problem is the odometer, I'd be surprised if it's not broken. Since the stuff on the column works, might just need a new cluster which shouldn't be much more than 30 bucks in the vwvortex classifieds.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

BlueBull posted:

I haven't seen it on the Mk6 GTI yet (it may not be available in N.America) but if it's anything like the system Audi uses then it does alter the suspension and steering but it doesn't make any difference as far the acceleration in the DSG. It's very possible that VW uses a different system that changes the DSG's characteristics in certain situations but it's not a system I'm familiar with.

Exitlights
Dec 25, 2006
Calmly and clearly announce that the building must be evacuated.
Alright, finally getting back to the module today. This project had to take a backseat to a bunch of other school stuff going on. Here's the module:

Click here for the full 768x576 image.

I'm going to take a multimeter to it in a few minutes to see if I can make heads or tails of how it works, but any insight as to what each of these pins does would be very helpful. For anyone not following along, this is the RF module for my car key fob for my '98 VW Golf, and printed on it is a diagram of its connectors.

Edit: Here's the inside (gently caress the warranty):

The PIC with the letters CAN on it alarms me, since it'll be a lot harder to handle all the various things in my car if they're CAN things, I think, but the car seems too old and rudimentary in its electronic poo poo. For example, I accidentally hotwired the thing while probing around the pins on the power connector.

Exitlights fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 25, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thanks for all the info on chips, I'll start shopping around and see what I can find. It is very likely a chip is the only thing I will do to the car because the main reason I am picking it up is for road trips and occasional commuting. I've got other cars/bikes for days when I feel like hitting a windy mountain road.

On a side note we picked up the 2010 Golf TDI this morning...drat nice little car. Thing pulls great and is really nice to drive, Dad loves the bluetooth and the radio kicks rear end for a stock system.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
my1999gsr did you get a chance to look up that part number for that hatch knob whatever thing its called. Just asking cause I am curious to look it up on http://www.ecstuning.com/ to see how much it costs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Exitlights posted:

The PIC with the letters CAN on it alarms me, since it'll be a lot harder to handle all the various things in my car if they're CAN things, I think, but the car seems too old and rudimentary in its electronic poo poo. For example, I accidentally hotwired the thing while probing around the pins on the power connector.

What is the part # of the PIC? I can't quite read it under the silver line on it, but looks like a PIC18. That bottom line is more likely manufacturing/package/date code markings than an actual indication of functionality. All the information about a Microchip part can usually be derived from the first line alone. That '-X' I can read on the package usually indicates extended temperature operation, which is something you would expect in an automotive part. The rest of the suffix likely indicates packaging information.

Also, based on the picture of the cover of the module, I see no signals that would likely be CAN. The 'H' and 'L' (CAN High, CAN Low) would be the only possibilities, but the size of those connectors make them seem like power or similar. The pins labeled with numbers are probably reserved/don't do much/grounds, perhaps. Those numbers could be the pin # they plug into on the other end of the connector?

Use the multimeter to find which pins are power/ground real quick, to get rid of possibilities. Once you give me the part # of the PIC, we can see what module pins hit what pins on the PIC, and see what we're dealing with.

movax fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 27, 2010

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Exitlights posted:

Alright, finally getting back to the module today. This project had to take a backseat to a bunch of other school stuff going on. Here's the module:

Your car is far too old to have CAN high or Low so that's not a concern. I was hoping to post a pic of the internal wiring diagram for the module but the wiring diagrams for the Mk3 cars don't show anything for individual modules.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

my1999gsr did you get a chance to look up that part number for that hatch knob whatever thing its called. Just asking cause I am curious to look it up on http://www.ecstuning.com/ to see how much it costs.

Sorry, my thursday/friday/monday was over-scheduled so I didn't get a chance to ask my parts guys. I'll see if I can get it for you tomorrow.

Tuesday EDIT: VW no longer offers the little pin you need as a replaceable part so you have to replace the whole rear window surround. I hate when VW does this - the part WAS available because I replaced one a month or so ago but I guess that was it, sorry.

my1999gsr fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 29, 2010

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes
my1999gsr, did you have any luck finding anything out about that bent transmission input shaft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Neon Machete posted:

my1999gsr, did you have any luck finding anything out about that bent transmission input shaft?

I'd like a little clearer picture of that shaft - the end that looks damaged looks strange to me and my co-worker so a better pic or two will help.