Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The only thing that disappoints me about this whole thing is that nothing is on sale for the big opening. Hopefully they're just waiting for the weekend. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They should really give their members a free game for all that stuff they pulled off.

I just really want a free game, actually.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

It blew up the first time I tried to sign on, but it's working now (8:48am EST).

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

The MSJ posted:

They should really give their members a free game for all that stuff they pulled off.

I just really want a free game, actually.
MOO3 for everyone!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
There doesn't seem to be any rage on the forum. Either the haters can't be bothered or the GOG guys are doing more deleting than Minitrue.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gashroom posted:

MOO3 for everyone!

That would actually be worse than the pretend shutdown.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

BiggerJ posted:

There doesn't seem to be any rage on the forum. Either the haters can't be bothered or the GOG guys are doing more deleting than Minitrue.

The GoG community has always been friendly to a fault. This is especially obvious in their ratings for games unfortunately - even the worst dross tends to get 3 stars at the least.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

al-azad posted:

I don't know about Eye of the Beholder because it was developed by Westwood who's now owned by EA.

Baldur's Gate was developed by Bioware who is now owned by EA, so who knows? Maybe we'll all be lucky and the rights for the games revert to the D&D owner after they expire for the publisher.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Osmosisch posted:

The GoG community has always been friendly to a fault. This is especially obvious in their ratings for games unfortunately - even the worst dross tends to get 3 stars at the least.

Is that really any different to the general games media?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pyrotek posted:

Baldur's Gate was developed by Bioware who is now owned by EA, so who knows? Maybe we'll all be lucky and the rights for the games revert to the D&D owner after they expire for the publisher.

That's my line of thinking as well. At the very least, I'm sure Bioware could serve as a decent advocate for GoG when trying to get EA to see the light. Yes I know that there is much more to it than that, but it has to start somewhere before the lawyers get involved.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Is that really any different to the general games media?

I'm not sure where you're going with this, unless you're trying to say that the gaming public deserves the quality of games criticism that they get.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Alchenar posted:

That would actually be worse than the pretend shutdown.

But better than giving everyone Lionheart.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Goddamnit goons, stop hammering the site. I want to login and buy Baldurs Gate. :mad:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
"Sorry everyone for the delay in the launch of the new website. Our servers, even thou we've augmented their number, just didn't manage to support the huge interest from your side. We're adding more servers as we speak and everything should start improving. Enjoy the new website, all the features and the newelly released Baldur's Gate."

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
PR Ploy Status: EFFECTIVE

genuinebald
Jul 10, 2008

Use me! Only use ME!
A wild GOG appears. It uses PR-feign death. It's super effective!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
:laffo:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/lionheart_legacy_of_the_crusader

the blurb on the Lionheart page posted:

What's great about it:
- One of the greatest, if often overlooked, RPGs of all time

Apparently, the disadvantage of having a tester write the blurbs is that they're now going to contain more bare-faced lies than the PR ones we had before.

HAIL SATAN
Apr 26, 2007

Eating puppies and giving guns to the poor since 1842
It took 15 minutes and a lot of effort to get rid of that pesky 10 dollars, but it was worth it.

New thread title is very fitting.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
God damned Polish people made me buy Baldur's Gate 1 again.

:arghfist::unsmith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hope you guys research some BG mods. Playing BG using the BG2 engine is 1000x better.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Hope you guys research some BG mods. Playing BG using the BG2 engine is 1000x better.

They won't be able to do that unless they own BG2, though.

Note to people buying BG1: there's a BG2 thread here but it's basically turned into the Infinity Engine thread, so you'll probably get some of your questions answered if you post there (just make sure to mention it's BG1 and you don't have BG2 and can't install tutu).

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I haven't finished it (yet), but Lionheart really isn't that bad assuming you patched it.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I wonder how many people are just hammering the page to grab their entire catalog they already purchased. That's not really because the demand for your awesome service is too great.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't even try to play BG without using Tutu anymore. Honestly, if you haven't played BG before, you should probably wait until they release BG2 before you play the first just so you can use Tutu.

Also, you definitely want to grab the widescreen mod.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My favorite memories was playing BG, then the expansion, then importing my characters into BG2 and then playing the BG2 expansion. Same char for 200+ hours? gently caress yes.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hemish posted:

I wonder how many people are just hammering the page to grab their entire catalog they already purchased. That's not really because the demand for your awesome service is too great.

This doesn't even make sense.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This doesn't even make sense.

They're saying that the rush isn't new people buying new games or even old people buying new games, but that it's all or mostly old people downloading old games.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Thank god because I would be pretty internet angry if people were buying Baldur's Gate.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ansob. posted:

:laffo:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/lionheart_legacy_of_the_crusader

Apparently, the disadvantage of having a tester write the blurbs is that they're now going to contain more bare-faced lies than the PR ones we had before.

Hey, it's not like they're ever gonna come out and say "This game that we are trying to sell you is kind of shite, to be honest", so if they need marketing fluff it may as well be written by someone who actually believes it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Drox posted:

They're saying that the rush isn't new people buying new games or even old people buying new games, but that it's all or mostly old people downloading old games.

I know, time is pressing because of how they... aren't... shutting down... anymore...

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Drox posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm just trying to say that they shouldn't slap themselves on the back looking at the huge numbers since most of the traffic must be people who got scared and are trying to backup their whole collection instead of a legitimate business traffic.

Baldur's Gate is great but I have trouble imagining the website is melting because of that one game or that 50 000 members decided to buy a bunch of games they had in their wish lists.

English isn't my first language so I'm sorry if I sometimes look retarted.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I know, time is pressing because of how they... aren't... shutting down... anymore...

We're talking about gamers here. Just look at this thread, we still have people pissed at the prank even though GoG is back without losing their DRM policy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Drox posted:

Yeah, but if it's over 6x their old traffic record, at least a good chunk of that has to come from new people, right?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hemish posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm just trying to say that they shouldn't slap themselves on the back looking at the huge numbers since most of the traffic must be people who got scared and are trying to backup their whole collection instead of a legitimate business traffic.

Baldur's Gate is great but I have trouble imagining the website is melting because of that one game or that 50 000 members decided to buy a bunch of games they had in their wish lists.

English isn't my first language so I'm sorry if I sometimes look retarted.

We're talking about gamers here. Just look at this thread, we still have people pissed at the prank even though GoG is back without losing their DRM policy.

Your English is just fine and perfectly understandable. :)

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Goddammit, I just spent a bunch of money this week on Telltale's Adventure Bundle and the Indie Mega Bundle and now GoG starts to release loving Infinity Engine games. I'm gonna be broke by the end of the month. :(

BG1 has a special place in my heart as the game that first got me into PC gaming when I was 13. I played that mofo on a 333 MHz Celeron with a 10(?)GB HDD and software rendering. :cool: Now I can finally retire that scratched-up 5-disc set in the giant-rear end cardboard sleeve.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, but if it's over 6x their old traffic record, at least a good chunk of that has to come from new people, right?

Maybe not. Just think about the "old" members before the shutdown. Most of us would download a game when we needed it. You could have a few people coming to grab their whole library. New members coming in, etc...

At launch today we have old members pissed who wants to download their whole games and will never come back, old paranoid members grabbing everything just in case even if they're staying, new members who got attracted to GoG with this stunt, old and new members coming in for Baldur's Gate and everyone else who just wants to check the new page layout.

What would be interesting to know is the percentages of the total traffic right now taken by those categories.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
GOG knows what their customers really care about - staring at a virtual shelf full of all their games. There's a new "matte black" option if you disliked the wood shelf for some reason.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Downloading BG1 now. :kamina:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Well, after being in a full state of panic, now that I know all my purchases are safe and sound, I can go back to my original routine of never downloading or playing any of them.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

pyrotek posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't even try to play BG without using Tutu anymore. Honestly, if you haven't played BG before, you should probably wait until they release BG2 before you play the first just so you can use Tutu.

Also, you definitely want to grab the widescreen mod.
Yeah, this is the source of my main disappointment. It's tough replaying BG1 unless you're seriously into it, so if you're only going to give BG1 a single playthrough then do yourself a favor and wait for BG2 so you can apply the Tutu mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, this is the source of my main disappointment. It's tough replaying BG1 unless you're seriously into it, so if you're only going to give BG1 a single playthrough then do yourself a favor and wait for BG2 so you can apply the Tutu mod.

The only reason that I am thinking about going BG1 is that I've had way too many tutu games ruined by the Beregost bug. It just really sucks losing all that time. Unless there's some way to fix it now. The best way I know is to just never go to Beregost.