Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Bob Log posted:

Skip the up-pipe altogether or do you mean I shouldn't spend on it. I already have the up-pipe from my 02 which I was told will fit the 11 without issue.

What intake are you recommending? Sounds like a plan to me but I dunno where you work so I dunno how to order it from ya.

Edit: Still selling my 02 wrx parts on I-Club here: http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223033

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure you don't need to replace the up-pipe, as from '06+ they were catless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

cmorrow001 posted:

Can you link me to more information about this?

Information on how to flash your WRX for free:

http://www.tactrix.com/ Cable is available here.

I got my Stage 1 and 2 maps from https://www.osecuroms.org.

I got the software to flash and datalog from tactrix and http://www.romraider.com

Cheers!

Blaise fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 22, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Huge_Midget posted:

Can the WRX and STi fuel systems handle e85 stock, or do you need new fuel lines? And what kind of performance are people getting using e85? The idea of being able to put cheap, gubmint subsidised go fast gas into an STi excites me. Indiana also has the benefit of having no goddamn inspections whatsoever, so I was envisioning a new STi with a catless turboback exhaust, a new intake, and an Accessport with an e85 tune, and I wondered exactly how much power that might net someone?

on the stock turbo you can get away with just bigger injectors and a walbro. Go much bigger and you start needing things like new lines and a big rear end pump. We have 1600cc injectors -8 feed line, and an Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump on the race car and it's pretty much out of fuel. And yes you'll be in the 350whp range on the stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

To tide me over with my new car lust I just ordered a set of D-Specs for my '02. This should freshen up my car nicely and make switching between the two more bearable when I do finally get it. Hopefully it'll also quiet down a clunk I'm hearing in the rear occasionally.

I think it's time, 109k miles on stock struts, 9 years and about 2 dozen autocrosses.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Let me know how those D-Specs do. I'm gonna go with jamal's suggestion of the Konis, even though it's a bit more work to set them up. There's a bunch of guys in the local club with the D-Specs and they seem to do pretty well.

I think my first priority suspension wise should probably be fixing whatever makes it pull to the right - it makes the steering uncomfortably numb sometimes. Kinda sucks that the snow is coming soon.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 21, 2010

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Help please.

This video is not my car but a car I am looking at is doing this exact thing. Clicking in the driveline somewhere. Speed dependent so it is on the output side of the driveline.

What the hell is going on here?? Thanks.
Noise is best shown at about :58 of the video.
edit:
Car is a 2002 Impreza WRX, 5 speed manual. 120k miles
more edits:
it does it with clutch in or out as long as its rolling. does not change with turning so I do not believe it is a CV joint.

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m73/ah_alex_/?action=view&current=MOV00132.mp4

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can't look at the video right now so I can't sample the sound, but your description sounds exactly like what my car was doing when the center diff went.

Have you had any instances where the car felt like the brakes were stuck on? Did this start happening right after any of those instances?

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

The car is not mine, yet... My friend was transferred to Germany for 2 years and rather then have his subie sit in his garage, he gave me a price I cant walk away from. Besides practically giving me the car, he also offered his garage space to repair whatever is the issue and to swap my STI suspension and Brembo's onto his car before I sell my 2.5RS.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Just picked up my 2011 WRX today. Everything is perfect other than the fact that it doesn't recognize my ipod, and I can't figure out how to switch the clock to show mpg. The car is terrifyingly fast on the highway.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

blargle posted:

Just picked up my 2011 WRX today. Everything is perfect other than the fact that it doesn't recognize my ipod, and I can't figure out how to switch the clock to show mpg. The car is terrifyingly fast on the highway.

I didn't know there was Ipod compatibility with the WRX basic and I can't find any option that adds it. Did you get a limited?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bob Log posted:

I didn't know there was Ipod compatibility with the WRX basic and I can't find any option that adds it. Did you get a limited?

That's because there's nothing to add.

All trim levels of the WRX get the same stereo as far as I can tell and it automatically has what they called "media hub" in previous years so they should all have both iPod and MP3 via mass storage capability. The only way to get an "upgraded" stereo is to get navigation and I don't know that the navigation unit has any more audio playing capabilites.

In fact, the only one that gets just a basic CD player with just aux in is the base base base base Impreza now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 22, 2010

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.
When I had my 08 WRX I remember folks talking about big power on E85 all the time. Now that I have my GR STI I don't see many people talking about E85, why is that?

Is it possible to run similar power to the WRX's on E85? Or is there some difference that limits this?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Whew, the nasty misfire turned out to be a ignition coil. Wheeeeeeeeeee!

Interesting how the car is much easier to drive, plus likes to dig trenches. Having all four ripping up gravel rules.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

bull3964 posted:

That's because there's nothing to add.

All trim levels of the WRX get the same stereo as far as I can tell and it automatically has what they called "media hub" in previous years so they should all have both iPod and MP3 via mass storage capability. The only way to get an "upgraded" stereo is to get navigation and I don't know that the navigation unit has any more audio playing capabilites.

In fact, the only one that gets just a basic CD player with just aux in is the base base base base Impreza now.

All WRXs have 1/8" audio in, USB, and bluetooth audio. If you get the Nav option there are 3 rca jacks for AV in as well. When I start the car it automatically resumes the pandora stream from the iphone in my pocket over bluetooth

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One odd thing I found out recently (like, yesterday). There is some quirk in SOMETHING (I'm not sure what the difference is) that causes the bluetooth controls on the steering wheel to be cut off if you install the factory sub on the Premium and Limited models but not the base (which is odd since they have the same stereo.)

It has to do with the T wiring harness to connect the sub, there's a missing pin. So, any model with navigation is fine, the sub and bluetooth controls work. If you have the regular stereo with the base model, you can add a sub without issue. However, if you add the sub to a premium or limited model without navigation, your steering wheel bluetooth controls stop working.

There must be different pin mappings in the wiring harness or something. People are reporting if you add a wire to pin 13 of the T harness, everything is fine. I guess there's a TSB out about the issue.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

blargle posted:

MPG is only displayed when viewing the two trip counters. If you are on ODO it won't be displayed.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

superdylan posted:

All WRXs have 1/8" audio in, USB, and bluetooth audio. If you get the Nav option there are 3 rca jacks for AV in as well. When I start the car it automatically resumes the pandora stream from the iphone in my pocket over bluetooth

No A2DP on the Legacy without the media hub, thanks Subaru :allears:

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah but the media hub in the stock stereo is TERRIBLE and I really want to get an aftermarket deck to replace it. I mean, all the basic features work as advertised, but the UI is atrocious and it behaves really really weird in a bunch of ways. I could rant for hours about it!

EDIT: Because I started thinking about it, I figured i'd catalog all the ways the Media Hub with the Stock Stereo is terrible. Most of these have to do with the iPod interface:

-- When you turn your car off while listening to the iPod and then turn it back on, it defaults to 'Paused'. This is weird, because there is NO actual way for you to pause or unpause the deck. The only way to resume music is to skip to the next track.
-- Seemingly 1 out of every 20-30 times I've started my car, the iPod has resumed on its own. I can't figure out what circumstance or black magic is occurring to cause this intermittent change in behavior.
-- It seems a universal standard that the 'back' button first skips to the beginning of the current song, and then the second press goes to the previous song. The Subaru deck does not do the first... pressing 'back' immediately goes to the previous song.
-- There is no way to fast forward or rewind within a track.
-- When trying to choose Playlists/Albums/Artists, you have to hit the 1-6 preset buttons (but there's no label indication which is which).
-- Before you can start scrolling through the list of albums/artists/playlists, you have to press the 'CAT' button, since the default behavior is to show the selection you've chosen but not allow any input! What is the purpose of having to press this one extra button? This is really annoying because of the next three items.
-- When scrolling through various options (options, songs, playlists, albums, whatever) there is no 'Select' button. You 'select' an option by not pressing anything for a couple seconds. This means if you're scrolling through a list of albums while driving, and pause to shift, or turn, or pay attention to traffic, it auto-selects wherever you stopped and you have to start the process over.
-- When scrolling through the list of ALbums/Artists/Playlists, it starts auto-playing the first one in the list... cutting off whatever song you're currently listening to. There is no way to listen to a song while choosing the next song to be played.
-- When the deck reads from the iPod to start playing a song (like in the scenario above), the UI 'hangs', and doesn't accept user input for 3-5 seconds. This causes you to have to mash the 'scroll down' button repeatedly until the UI finally starts responding. You can't just just and wait for the UI to catch up, because the deck auto-picks whatever happens to be selected (that you can't see) if you don't press anything for a few seconds.
-- Enabling/Disabling repeat and shuffle is really non-intuitive, and is hidden inside some menu only accessible by a weird combination of buttons. My friend had to figure out how to do it by looking at the manual, and I was never able to repro the feat. Thus, shuffle is stuck 'ON' for me while repeat is stuck 'OFF'.
-- When you're listening to the iPod, the main info on the deck says 'MEDIA1' (with no way to turn it off, or change to more meaningful information)

Overall, the deck does everything it advertises, so nothing is a deal breaker. But using an iPod with it is such a pain in the rear end that I default to just listening to the radio sometimes. It's like the entire UI was designed to make you pay as much attention to IT (and as little attention to driving) as possible!

EDIT #2: Come to think of it, not having a 'select' button (having it auto-select after a few seconds of inactivity) is the biggest pain in my rear end on this deck, and most of the rest of my complaints just exacerbate (or are exacerbated) by that.

syphon fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 23, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bull3964 posted:

I just want this. Jesus Subaru, the LGT was new in 2005, no one told you people wanted this? (Yes, i own a Jazzy aux-in, but I'm too lazy to take apart the dash and too scared to take apart the radio.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, every subaru sold today has an aux in so that's covered at least.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

bull3964 posted:

Well, every subaru sold today has an aux in so that's covered at least.

Well sure, but even then, it's still a horribly integrated system with HVAC. (I haven't looked in on the 2010+). WHY Subaru!?!?! WHY?!?!

Edit:

\/\/\/\/\/

"syphon posted:

Are you talking Legacy or something? The 2008+ Imprezas are just Double DIN, and I vaguely remember my loaner Forester having the same stereo.
Erm, yes - sorry I wasn't clear. The 05-09 (at least) LGT is an integrated HVAC/Radio that is not easily separated.

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 23, 2010

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Are you talking Legacy or something? The 2008+ Imprezas are just Double DIN, and I vaguely remember my loaner Forester having the same stereo.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The whole bluetooth/handsfree stuff is also super confusing and poorly designed as well, but thats OK, at least they're trying. It's not why I bought the car.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Ok so I have been scratching my head like crazy over wheel and tire fitment. I admit I really have only a rudimentary understanding about the whole camber/offset thing. I'm trying to determine what is the largest functionally correct tire/wheel combo on a 2011 WRX.

From what I'm reading on NASIOC, WRX Tuners and pretty much every wheel/tire faq I can find, I've been given the impression that running anything bigger than 18x8 with a offset lower than 43 would be loving with the wheel bearings/stock suspension in ways that I do not fully comprehend. I haven't found any clear technical explanation of why an 18x10 wheel with +30 offset would be a worse option, doesn't the change in offset keep everything in balance?

I've been trying to teach myself as much as I can about this but if anyone could explain this to me or at least just tell me I'm being stupid and "Don't go more than _____", I would appreciate that and accept what you say and not try to question it too much if I still don't understand.

Someone offered me a deal on a set of 18x10 rims with a +30 offset which is why I started trying to research this to begin with because I think that's too big of a fitment for the stock suspension. I have a feeling this person was trying to be "Flush" and is now regretting that decision.

I do not want to look "Flush" for the record, functionality > looks every day of the week for me, I would just like to understand where the sweet spot is for everything to work in perfect suspension harmony and why that sweet spot exists.

Edit: If you haven't heard about it yet, check out the first info on the subaru's redesigned boxter engine: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/23/subaru-debuts-third-generation-boxer-four-cylinder-engine/

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 23, 2010

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Anyone looking to part with a transmission for a bugeye WRX?? Looks like either my input shaft is screwed up or the front diff from my post higher up on this page...
I'm in Michigan if there is one somewhat local.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Bob Log posted:

From what I'm reading on NASIOC, WRX Tuners and pretty much every wheel/tire faq I can find, I've been given the impression that running anything bigger than 18x8 with a offset lower than 43 would be loving with the wheel bearings/stock suspension in ways that I do not fully comprehend. I haven't found any clear technical explanation of why an 18x10 wheel with +30 offset would be a worse option, doesn't the change in offset keep everything in balance?

I've been trying to teach myself as much as I can about this but if anyone could explain this to me or at least just tell me I'm being stupid and "Don't go more than _____", I would appreciate that and accept what you say and not try to question it too much if I still don't understand.

Be skeptical of anything you read on Nasioc. Most of those people parrot things they've read from a guy who knows a guy who heard from a guy about X being bad, therefore it's technical fact. Disinformation and misinformation is rampant there.

If you're adding offset to your wheels, your steering can be affected by changing the ackerman angle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry). More offset means that you're changing the kinds of stresses seen on the wheel bearings and components because you're changing the torque-arm of the given measurement by that small length. You're basically causing systematic changes of some degrees by going to that offset. It will still drive, but things will be "different" in ways that I cannot yet tell you exactly. You also understand that if you're going up in total diameter than factory, your response will be more sluggish right?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

All I know, I'd hate to buy proper tires for an 18x10 wheel. :p

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That would be about a 265 width wouldn't it? That seems a bit excessive for anything other than track use. Even then, I would think you would need a massive amount of other upgrades to even need that much grip.

Personally, I wouldn't go beyond what the stock STI size is (8.5), unless you had specific needs. You can't use STI wheels directly since the bolt pattern is wrong, but i would imagine that if you get a 5x100 wheel with all the specs being the same as the STI wheel you would be in good shape.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 23, 2010

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

FormulaXFD posted:

If you're adding offset to your wheels, your steering can be affected by changing the ackerman angle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry)...

You also understand that if you're going up in total diameter than factory, your response will be more sluggish right?

That helps me understand a bit more, but it still feels a bit like black magic as far as exactly what is going to be changed to me. I do understand it will be slightly more sluggish but I figured with the advent of current power steering technology and such that it wouldn't make much of a difference save on hard tracking.

c355n4 posted:

All I know, I'd hate to buy proper tires for an 18x10 wheel. :p

Actually I looked up 265/255 tires and they're about 200 more per set than what I'm buying now anyway, so I'm not that put off.

bull3964 posted:

Even then, I would think you would need a massive amount of other upgrades to even need that much grip.

Personally, I wouldn't go beyond what the stock STI size is (8.5), unless you had specific needs. You can't use STI wheels directly since the bolt pattern is wrong, but i would imagine that if you get a 5x100 wheel with all the specs being the same as the STI wheel you would be in good shape.

I think this sums up my feelings overall about it. I don't think going over 8.5 will really benefit me unless I was seriously track the poo poo out of it (which isn't going to happen till the warranty is up).

I don't think I could go with the wider rims just because I'm afraid of suspension black magic loving something up... the deal I'm getting is tempting but I'm going to have to think long and hard on it before I decide.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 23, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

nm posted:

I just want this. Jesus Subaru, the LGT was new in 2005, no one told you people wanted this? (Yes, i own a Jazzy aux-in, but I'm too lazy to take apart the dash and too scared to take apart the radio.)

Oh man it only takes maybe an hour at most, do it, it works great!

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Bob Log posted:

That helps me understand a bit more, but it still feels a bit like black magic as far as exactly what is going to be changed to me. I do understand it will be slightly more sluggish but I figured with the advent of current power steering technology and such that it wouldn't make much of a difference save on hard tracking.

Sluggish in acceleration not steering. Larger total diameter takes more work to turn due to a larger torque-arm-length. You're effectively changing all of your gearing for more top-speed.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

FormulaXFD posted:

Sluggish in acceleration not steering. Larger total diameter takes more work to turn due to a larger torque-arm-length. You're effectively changing all of your gearing for more top-speed.

That's only if you change the diameter of the tire, not the width.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A 9" wide, +45 offset wheel with a 255 tire should fit without issue. maybe a slight fender roll. That's not really extreme enough to need to worry about steering geometry or wheel bearings or anything.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Anyone got any suggestions for a cheapish winter wheel for a 2006 Legacy GT running a STI Brembo conversion? I was looking at the Sparco Drifts on Tirerack - those aren't actually listed for a LGT, but are listed for a 2004 STi and have the exact same bolt pattern and offset as the OZ Superlegerras I'm currently running. If anyone knows of anything cheaper though that doesn't look terrible, I'm open to suggestion.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

A 9" wide, +45 offset wheel with a 255 tire should fit without issue. maybe a slight fender roll. That's not really extreme enough to need to worry about steering geometry or wheel bearings or anything.

I'd seriously question the need for it unless you are seriously quick or have serious power. It's easy to overtyre the chassis - 235's are going to be enough for almost anyone

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

syphon posted:

Yeah but the media hub in the stock stereo is TERRIBLE and I really want to get an aftermarket deck to replace it. I mean, all the basic features work as advertised, but the UI is atrocious and it behaves really really weird in a bunch of ways. I could rant for hours about it!

Sounds like the same system I've got in my '08 STI, it really is terrible but at least it does something. It was already on the car and it was the only one they had so while I wouldn't pay the $250 or whatever they charged me for it by choice I was pretty much forced into it. Sometimes when I turn on the car it says "detached" and won't start at all. I have to unplug the ipod and plug it back in, which is very difficult even when not driving because of the short length of the cable creating an awkward angle you have to be at to plug it in.

There was some sticker overlay thing in the packet that came with the ipod kit that you could stick on the stereo that kind of clued you in to what the buttons did in ipod mode. I think I've still got it with my manual if you want me to scan it or something.

On mine, if you hit the "text" button while in ipod mode it will switch between displaying certain track info, the most useful being track name or artist and album name. No, there is no way to get it to display artist and track name. To turn on and off repeat/shuffle I think it's similar to switching between play lists/artists/albums you just hit number 1 (I think) before hitting the "CAT" button.

I usually just have it on the same playlist and switch between that and the radio, I try not to pay too much attention to it because then it would really piss me off.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I know this has more than likely been covered a billion times, but I'm having a "why can't I figure this out" problem with the '99 Impreza L I got just recently.

I'm getting a "whiskk...whiskk...whiskk..whisk..whiswhiswhiswhis" sound from the rear, like a wheel bearing on the way out. Thing is though both rear wheels don't wiggle around when I give 'em the old grab and yank wheel bearing test--both solid. So now I'm thinking halfshafts, but all the boots look good and there's no play in the shafts.

I'm a little bit irked, but figure I may as well start by replacing the bearings. Is it a pain in the rear end with this car or is it pretty easy? Mind you, where I'm living now it's about 100 paces between my tools and the parking lot, so working on the car is a huge pain in the rear end, so if it's difficult I may just take it to a shop.

Bonus info: Car has rear drum brakes! :argh:

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Does anyone know if the oil filter screen in the banjo bolts still exists on 09+ WRXs? I'd like to remove mine when I do the first oil change, but the internet is unclear as to exactly which years are affected.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dave Inc. posted:

Thing is though both rear wheels don't wiggle around when I give 'em the old grab and yank wheel bearing test--both solid.

Mine didn't either, yet it came out in pieces. The only time I noticed any deflection was when the full weight of the car was on the wheel and I rocked the body.

Turns out the scraping sound I was hearing was the rotor rubbing on the caliper bracket as the wheel pulled out of the hub a few mm during cornering.

I would just start with the brakes though, are you sure you don't just have a worn down pad causing intermittent contact with the pad indicators?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have to say, 2002 wheels look a lot better on the new body style than I would have thought (keep in mind that car is still on a jack.)