Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

Whispering Machines posted:

The Burrowers

I liked it. It has Clancy Brown in it! And like 2-3 guys from Lost. I thought the monster design was kind of meh, but overall I enjoyed it.

I wish the monsters looked more like mutated creepy humans than what they did

drat 2008?! I know I saw the trailer more recently than that... maybe it was for fearnet or something...

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

It was on FearNet about 5 or 6 months ago. It was billed as a "Classic of the Western Worm People Genre." Which really begged the question, how many other worm people movies there really are.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

toxick posted:

Anyone into the NOES movies should really see the Never Sleep Again documentary. It covers the whole series, and it's really informative/entertaining. They interview a bunch of people involved with the movies, and it's put together really well. It's 4 hours long and there's never a dull moment.

I would love love love for 1428 to do documentaries on Halloween and Friday the 13th in the same style

His Name is Jason is way too short for me

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ramadu posted:

It was on FearNet about 5 or 6 months ago. It was billed as a "Classic of the Western Worm People Genre." Which really begged the question, how many other worm people movies there really are.
'Tremors' series?
At least one of them takes place in the 1800s or something, too.

I've actually never seen past the second one (or seen the TV series), I dunno.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

My friend and I had a debate about that, the Tremors aren't really worm people in the same sense as in The Burrowers. He made the argument that in the 2nd one because they stand on 2 legs they qualify, but I disagree. The Burrowers had like, actual worm people crawling under the prairie. It was a fairly unique monster movie, if a bit slow paced. A pointless argument really, but its fun to argue about movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

October's coming up and the theater's in the area are putting up their lineups for their Dusk til Dawn horror movie marathons!

Los Angeles, CA

New Beverly Cinema- Oct. 9th
Featuring Dario Argento's Tenebrae (1982), Lucio Fulci's The Gates of Hell (1980), The Evil (1978), The Giant Claw (1957), Breeders (1986), The Outing (1987) plus a secret movie (?!), vintage trailers & other surprises!

I'd go for Tenebrae and Gates of Hell, but the other movies are just whatever. I wonder what the secret movie is, last year I think it was Story of Ricky (although that may have been the secret movie for the Edgar Wright Filmfest).

They're also showing a couple other great double features leading up to, and past, the marathon, including

Sept. 29/30
Best Worst Movie/Troll 2 (Best Worst Movie is the doc about Troll 2)

Oct. 19
The Clonus Horror/Clones

Oct. 20/21
Orphan/Seed of Chucky

Oct. 29/30
Trick R Treat/Halloween 3

Plus a poo poo load of other movies. Full calender is here.
http://newbevcinema.com/calendar.cfm

The Aero Theater- Oct. 30th

7:30 PM 5th Annual Dusk-to-Dawn Horrorthon: Fright Night, Don't Look In The Basement, Candyman, Bloody Birthday, Phantasm and Cemetary Man

This one looks a lot more fun, but what a terrible day to have it on. If Candyman, Fright Night and Cemetary Man are later shows, I'll probably hit those up after I'm good and loaded.

The Silent Movie Theater's not doing any marathons, but they are screening a poo poo load of great horror movies throughout the month including

Oct. 1st
Christine/Carrie

Oct. 3rd
Pet Semetary/Pet Semetary 2

Oct. 7th
Deep Red/Opera (Argento baby!)

Oct. 15th
House of the Devil/Dead Alive

Oct. 16th
BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL :mmmhmm:

Full schedule for the Silent Movie theater is here.
http://www.cinefamily.org/calendar/index.html

The Egyptian's full Oct. schedule hasn't been put up yet, but they just finished a mini-Carpenter fest (They Live, Big Trouble, Thing and Halloween).

The Fairfax Theater is closed down, so no fun there anymore. :(

And even though I don't live there anymore, the Music Box in Chicago put up their horror marathon schedule as well
http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/collections/music-box-massacre-6/

Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney Sr. accompanied by Dennis Scott at the Music Box Organ)
The Raven (Boris Karloff & Bela Lugosi)
The Wolf Man (Lon Chaney Jr.)
Psycho (50th Anniversary!)
Killer Klowns From Outer Space (with the Chiodo Brothers in Person!)
Rabid (David Cronenberg)
Pet Sematary
The Funhouse (Tobe Hooper)
Theater of Blood (Vincent Price)
The House By The Cemetery (Lucio Fulci)
Fright Night (80’s Awesomeness!)

Looks pretty fun! Anyone else doing anything like this or know of anything like it in your area?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Dickeye posted:

I would love love love for 1428 to do documentaries on Halloween and Friday the 13th in the same style

His Name is Jason is way too short for me

Try this book, "Crystal Lake Memories."

http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Lake-Memories-Complete-History/dp/1845763432/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285244181&sr=8-1

It covers Cunningham and Craven's pre-"Friday" days all the way to "Freddy vs. Jason," and it's really informative and fun. A perfect coffee table book.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

ruddiger posted:

Looks pretty fun! Anyone else doing anything like this or know of anything like it in your area?

I'm still waiting for the local theaters to put up their listings but myself and a few friends always put aside time on Halloween week to go to as many horrorthon films as we can. It's where I got to see and fall in love with House of the Devil last year :allears:

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Should I really just avoid watching Return to Sleepaway Camp? Sleepaway Camp is my favorite slasher but I've been putting off watching Return because I heard it was an absolute turd.

Also, in regards to Sleepaway Camp II, why didn't they focus more on Angela's backstory between the end of Sleepaway Camp and the sequel? I know they covered it in dialogue but I think some flashbacks would have made it a much better movie. I was really hoping they were gonna play up the does she/doesn't she have a dick angle and was really disappointed when they just dropped it after awhile. It still has certain charms but still not as good as the original.

knifehitz
Apr 22, 2005

ys rly
Sleepaway Camp III is my favorite of the series, I find it the funniest and I think it has the better one liners (especially from the campers). Also, watch the first kill in slow mo and you can see the head flying off the dummy. Awesome....

I couldn't even make it past the half hour mark of "Return" I wouldn't bother. It had nothing of the charm of the originals, completely horrible, and not in a good way.

Crystal Lake Memories is an amazing book, I'm so glad I have it. I would recommend it to any horror fans who can get their hands on a copy. Beautiful pictures and tons of info on every entry.

edit: oh wow, must have been printed again. I got it several years ago and then for quite a while the price was over $100 on Amazon. For $30 it's a no-brainer. Go get it.

knifehitz fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 23, 2010

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Return To Sleepaway Camp is awful, we waited 20 years for this?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CobiWann posted:

Try this book, "Crystal Lake Memories."

http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Lake-Memories-Complete-History/dp/1845763432/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285244181&sr=8-1

It covers Cunningham and Craven's pre-"Friday" days all the way to "Freddy vs. Jason," and it's really informative and fun. A perfect coffee table book.

I've actually read that, or at least parts of it. It's loving awesome

I just want a really good documentary version of this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

October's coming up and the theater's in the area are putting up their lineups for their Dusk til Dawn horror movie marathons!

Los Angeles, CA

New Beverly Cinema- Oct. 9th
Featuring Dario Argento's Tenebrae (1982), Lucio Fulci's The Gates of Hell (1980), The Evil (1978), The Giant Claw (1957), Breeders (1986), The Outing (1987) plus a secret movie (?!), vintage trailers & other surprises!

I'd go for Tenebrae and Gates of Hell, but the other movies are just whatever. I wonder what the secret movie is, last year I think it was Story of Ricky (although that may have been the secret movie for the Edgar Wright Filmfest).

They're also showing a couple other great double features leading up to, and past, the marathon, including

Sept. 29/30
Best Worst Movie/Troll 2 (Best Worst Movie is the doc about Troll 2)

Oct. 19
The Clonus Horror/Clones

Oct. 20/21
Orphan/Seed of Chucky

Oct. 29/30
Trick R Treat/Halloween 3

Plus a poo poo load of other movies. Full calender is here.
http://newbevcinema.com/calendar.cfm

The Aero Theater- Oct. 30th

7:30 PM 5th Annual Dusk-to-Dawn Horrorthon: Fright Night, Don't Look In The Basement, Candyman, Bloody Birthday, Phantasm and Cemetary Man

This one looks a lot more fun, but what a terrible day to have it on. If Candyman, Fright Night and Cemetary Man are later shows, I'll probably hit those up after I'm good and loaded.

The Silent Movie Theater's not doing any marathons, but they are screening a poo poo load of great horror movies throughout the month including

Oct. 1st
Christine/Carrie

Oct. 3rd
Pet Semetary/Pet Semetary 2

Oct. 7th
Deep Red/Opera (Argento baby!)

Oct. 15th
House of the Devil/Dead Alive

Oct. 16th
BLACK DEVIL DOLL FROM HELL :mmmhmm:

Full schedule for the Silent Movie theater is here.
http://www.cinefamily.org/calendar/index.html

The Egyptian's full Oct. schedule hasn't been put up yet, but they just finished a mini-Carpenter fest (They Live, Big Trouble, Thing and Halloween).

The Fairfax Theater is closed down, so no fun there anymore. :(

And even though I don't live there anymore, the Music Box in Chicago put up their horror marathon schedule as well
http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/collections/music-box-massacre-6/

Phantom of the Opera (Lon Chaney Sr. accompanied by Dennis Scott at the Music Box Organ)
The Raven (Boris Karloff & Bela Lugosi)
The Wolf Man (Lon Chaney Jr.)
Psycho (50th Anniversary!)
Killer Klowns From Outer Space (with the Chiodo Brothers in Person!)
Rabid (David Cronenberg)
Pet Sematary
The Funhouse (Tobe Hooper)
Theater of Blood (Vincent Price)
The House By The Cemetery (Lucio Fulci)
Fright Night (80’s Awesomeness!)

I would kill to see Fulci/Argento on the big screen, ditto Black Devil Doll From Hell, assuming its the original and not the lame remake.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would kill to see Fulci/Argento on the big screen, ditto Black Devil Doll From Hell, assuming its the original and not the lame remake.

It is.

Black Devil Doll is so loving god-awful, the only reason I'm going to go see it is to make my roommate watch it (he's never seen it before). I own an old used VHS copy of it, but the problem with that is it's so bad, I know if we watch it at the house, he'll just turn it off, or play with his iphone or whatever, but being trapped in a theater with it being projected on a 50-foot screen..... yes.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
Another recommendation. This one is a little more sombre and definitely not a popcorn movie.

quote:

The film takes place in 1348 in plague-ridden medieval England. Osmund (Redmayne), a young monk, is tasked with leading the feared knight Ulric (Bean) and his band of mercenaries to a remote marshland village which has remained untouched by the Black Death. Their quest is to hunt down a necromancer, who is rumoured to be able to bring the dead back to life.

Trailer

Netflix although it may not be widely released for a little while.

Really liked this. Has incredible cinematography and quite a few nice twists that are not forced and Sean Bean is fantastic in it as well.

There are a few clunky lines in the movie, but overall worthy of a trackdown or your time when it becomes available.

The epilogue hits hard and the overall tone is grim as gently caress, so if you liked The Road for its nihilism or are a fan of the original Wickerman I highly recommend it.

The movie is not as Lord of the rings as the trailer would have you believe. But it does have plague doctors and when was the last time you got to see a well filmed drawn and quartering? Thought so.

Check this one out.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?
Looks like Argento will definitely be directing "Dracula 3D." Not sure how I feel about it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccntw_cG9dg&feature=player_embedded

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

It is.

Black Devil Doll is so loving god-awful, the only reason I'm going to go see it is to make my roommate watch it (he's never seen it before). I own an old used VHS copy of it, but the problem with that is it's so bad, I know if we watch it at the house, he'll just turn it off, or play with his iphone or whatever, but being trapped in a theater with it being projected on a 50-foot screen..... yes.

I can only hope this leads to a hipster revival where "WAKE UP BITCH" replaces "LISA YOU'RE TEARING ME APAAAAART"

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"

Local Group Bus posted:

Another recommendation. This one is a little more sombre and definitely not a popcorn movie.

Trailer

Netflix although it may not be widely released for a little while.

Really liked this. Has incredible cinematography and quite a few nice twists that are not forced and Sean Bean is fantastic in it as well.

There are a few clunky lines in the movie, but overall worthy of a trackdown or your time when it becomes available.

The epilogue hits hard and the overall tone is grim as gently caress, so if you liked The Road for its nihilism or are a fan of the original Wickerman I highly recommend it.

The movie is not as Lord of the rings as the trailer would have you believe. But it does have plague doctors and when was the last time you got to see a well filmed drawn and quartering? Thought so.

Check this one out.

I am a sucker for dark and gritty medieval movies (and plague doctors are the scariest/awesome things ever) and it looks FAR better then that god awful Season of the Witch with Nicholas Cage that's coming out ...eventually. But between this and A Song of Ice and Fire, I think Sean Bean just walked off the set of Lord of the Rings and never bothered to change his wardrobe ever again.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Local Group Bus posted:

I saw this at Toronto After Dark and I hated it. I thought it was a total waste of time with predictable characters and terrible dialogue. I could not wait for it to be over. But that said, I enjoyed the film's epilogue (despite it feeling tagged on) because I felt it brought a little bit of darkness to an otherwise pretty light-hitting film. With that said, my friend didn't like the ending.

I was really expecting more from this film -- either some of the levity that Christopher Smith injected into Severence, or some creepy coolness because, yeah, plague doctors creep the poo poo out of me. Maybe my poor opinion of it puts me in the minority?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
All us goons should put our money together and fund a horror movie. There are so many of us we could do it!

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
A year or so back I think someone actually put up a thread in CD where everyone said their location and their cinema related talent. (I do wardrobe! ....when I can find work :smith: )

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I have no skills related to making films, but I could be an extra whose head gets blown up or something.

edit: We should pool our money to make a feature-length version of DOOM HOUSE.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

The Phantom Goat posted:

Looks like Argento will definitely be directing "Dracula 3D." Not sure how I feel about it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccntw_cG9dg&feature=player_embedded

well, if it falls anywhere near the likes of Mother of Tears I won't waste my time....and I *really* wanted to like that movie. Like, REALLY, wanted to, but it was like some hellish slide that kept getting worse and more boring by the minute. I say this as a fanboy of Argento for 23 years too.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

a life less posted:

Maybe my poor opinion of it puts me in the minority?

Nah, I agree with you. And I fuckin love plague/epidemic themed movies and books. 28DL, Carriers, The Stand, etc.

This should have been awesome because Sean Bean is awesome and the Black Death is a horrifying/fascinating topic, but it was just boring. I hope someday someone makes an awesome The Road-esque movie about the black plague. With more doctors and streets filled with wailing and terrible medicine and flagellants.

I, uh, swear I'm really pretty normal in real life :shobon:

The overall atmosphere in the marsh reminded me a lot of Sauna, but not as creepy and weird.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

The overall atmosphere in the marsh reminded me a lot of Sauna, but not as creepy and weird.

Weird. I got that vibe too. I guess there are only so many ways you can portray a bunch of terrible men traversing a swamp.

(By the way, I loved Sauna.)

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

eckoelab posted:

well, if it falls anywhere near the likes of Mother of Tears I won't waste my time....and I *really* wanted to like that movie. Like, REALLY, wanted to, but it was like some hellish slide that kept getting worse and more boring by the minute. I say this as a fanboy of Argento for 23 years too.

I think the problem lies in the fact everyone expects too much out of Argento these days. Granted, each film is always billed as a return to form, but I think it's kind of unfair to expect another Bird, Deep Red, Tenebre, or Opera out of him. He's never going to top his early stuff.

Newer films, like Mother of Tears, Giallo, and Do You Like Hitchcock?, are by no means perfect films, but despite their flaws, I still get a good bit of enjoyment out of them. Besides, I'm pretty sure he couldn't do much worse than The Phantom of the Opera or the Masters of Horror flicks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Burrowers

I liked it. It has Clancy Brown in it! And like 2-3 guys from Lost. I thought the monster design was kind of meh, but overall I enjoyed it.

I wish the monsters looked more like mutated creepy humans than what they did

So, I finally got around to watching this and I liked it. A bit slow paced, and I agree about the monster design, but I really liked the ending. Plus, I just really like Western themed stuff, so............

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

The Phantom Goat posted:

I think the problem lies in the fact everyone expects too much out of Argento these days. Granted, each film is always billed as a return to form, but I think it's kind of unfair to expect another Bird, Deep Red, Tenebre, or Opera out of him. He's never going to top his early stuff.

yeah, but one can hope though..even the previews for MoT made it look and feel much more sinister than it actually ended up being. It is almost as if he just doesn't care, and he is going to laugh his way through his golden years of film design.

But yeah, how can he top this scene from Susperia? In my eyes one of the most intense 5 minutes of horror he put on film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6zJGUUiG0c&feature=related

symmetry, color, tension, space.... its horrific and beautiful

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

eckoelab posted:

But yeah, how can he top this scene from Susperia? In my eyes one of the most intense 5 minutes of horror he put on film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6zJGUUiG0c&feature=related

It's really a testament to the power of the filmmaker that the *twinkle* and eyes appearing is just as unsettling and grotesque as it ever was, the 'simplicity' or age the effect have no legitimate bearing on it. Fantastic!

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
I Just got done watching Darkness Falls. Not nearly as good as the title portends. I couldn't get past the premise (evil tooth fairy) for a good portion of the movie. Even when I accepted it for what it was, it was still kinda bland. I've seen worse, but not by a whole lot. 2/5.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

StickySweater posted:

I Just got done watching Darkness Falls. Not nearly as good as the title portends. I couldn't get past the premise (evil tooth fairy) for a good portion of the movie. Even when I accepted it for what it was, it was still kinda bland. I've seen worse, but not by a whole lot. 2/5.

Probably would've been better, if they hadn't gone back last minute and replaced Steve Wang's design with that burned old lady thing Stan Winston Studios did.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

StickySweater posted:

I remember watching that years ago and I really liked it. I thought the premise was pretty interesting.Granted, I was young.

1Van
Jul 9, 2007

XIII posted:

I remember watching that years ago and I really liked it. I thought the premise was pretty interesting.Granted, I was young.

I completely agree with you, which is why I refuse to watch it again, because I'll end up hating it.

And what was Wang's original design?

a
Sep 25, 2000

1Van posted:

I completely agree with you, which is why I refuse to watch it again, because I'll end up hating it.

And what was Wang's original design?

http://www.thedougjonesexperience.com/toothfairy.htm

gently caress that looked a thousand times cooler than the final version

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Holy gently caress, that is awesome.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
haha, Doug Jones with tits.

Seriously though, that design was way better than the one in the final film (which I thought was pretty terrible overall)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

a posted:

http://www.thedougjonesexperience.com/toothfairy.htm

gently caress that looked a thousand times cooler than the final version

Its an Asian ghost with bat wings. (I don't remember the final design; I'm just tired of Asian ghosts)

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
My birthday next week, these are my picks of what to get.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I like Asian ghosts... when they're in Asian movies. I took a semester of Japanese art history and chose my topic last minute (something to do with the history of ghosts in Japan/stories that were translated to film, whatever I had poo poo to do and I got an A on the paper :v:) and it was fun reading up on the weird legends and poo poo that inspired some of the stories. I think they're called yurei. One was thrown down a well for breaking some plates, another one was poisoned (unsuccessfully) and then murdered and came back to haunt her husband, etc etc.

I remember hating that toothfairy movie when it came out (save for the opening), but holy crap I like the Doug Jones design.

Slasher, have you seen those movies or are you getting them and hoping to be surprised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Slasher, have you seen those movies or are you getting them and hoping to be surprised?

I've seen them, both at Frightfest.