Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Toadsniff posted:

God drat, if I read the word stunt one more loving time today...

"We will release Stunts on GOG tomorrow."

(One can wish)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Whalley posted:

I loving love how he's reacting to this. "It was all a joke, sorry y'all don't have our sense of humor, homies" is the best possible (in my eyes) way he could respond.

Also, he is claiming personal responsibility and not backing down from things being taken the wrong way. gently caress I love GOG sometimes :allears:

Yeah, literally there is no reason to be mad at them anymore unless you just like holding grudges. They made a mistake, then admit it, they make no attempt to cover it up and promise not to do it again.

You really can't ask for more out of them.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mithaldu posted:

Interesting post from one of the gog guys:

:siren:

That is interesting, and oddly reassuring: this guy is almost exactly on point as to what I've been thinking about what's important about GOG, how it functions as a store, and how the user is ultimately given the power and at least half the responsibility to back up his own stuff. Which of course underscores the importance of no DRM.

Cocky son of a gun, though. Those who thought that part of this stunt was to somehow show how powerless a DRM-based store would leave you, I guess you were right. I guess it also doubles as a message to others: You're responsible for backing your poo poo up.

EDIT: I see that they're redoing the downloader. One way they can accommodate the recalcitrant backer upper is to offer a way to backup your entire library, plus extras, skipping titles and extras that you already have in the backup directory. That way, you open the app, it syncs you up with what you're missing, and you don't have to think about it again.

Seems unlikely though, since this is an open invitation to devour their bandwidth... although I suppose they could throttle streams that are earmarked for sync/backup, or offer to do it automatically when demand is low.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 23, 2010

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

ymgve posted:

"We will release Stunts on GOG tomorrow."

(One can wish)

That game still has one of the best map editors ever. Corkscrew to bridge gap to ice covered hill jump into loop into water. gently caress! How did that game not get a sequel?

doctorfrog posted:

stunt

You dick!

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 23, 2010

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

treat posted:

Also I figure enough people might not know about the goon What Should I Know? wiki to post it here.

Edit: Answered my question with my own link.

Could you edit your post to change the address?

The wiki is actually at http://www.anthonyhobday.com/misc/wsik now. I moved servers, and addresses, and while the old one still works, it might not for long.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Toadsniff posted:

That game still has one of the best map editors ever. Corkscrew to bridge gap to ice covered hill jump into loop into water. gently caress! How did that game not get a sequel?

Trackmania is essentially the modern equivalent, though they did turn everything up to 11.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Haha it's already down again.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Industrial posted:

Interesting thing is that my queued downloads in DownThemAll (Firefox extension download manager) still work and are currently downloading.

So there's a tip: Queue up everything you can beforehand and the outage won't bother you.

HatSmack
Jan 28, 2009

Industrial posted:

Except it's not?

Edit: Maybe it just hates you.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

HatSmack posted:

Except it's not?

Edit: Maybe it just hates you.

Notice that your post occurred after my post, meaning that time has passed and the status of things may have changed.

edit: And it's down yet again.

Industrial fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 23, 2010

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

doctorfrog posted:

That is interesting, and oddly reassuring: this guy is almost exactly on point as to what I've been thinking about what's important about GOG, how it functions as a store, and how the user is ultimately given the power and at least half the responsibility to back up his own stuff. Which of course underscores the importance of no DRM.

Cocky son of a gun, though. Those who thought that part of this stunt was to somehow show how powerless a DRM-based store would leave you, I guess you were right. I guess it also doubles as a message to others: You're responsible for backing your poo poo up.

EDIT: I see that they're redoing the downloader. One way they can accommodate the recalcitrant backer upper is to offer a way to backup your entire library, plus extras, skipping titles and extras that you already have in the backup directory. That way, you open the app, it syncs you up with what you're missing, and you don't have to think about it again.

Seems unlikely though, since this is an open invitation to devour their bandwidth... although I suppose they could throttle streams that are earmarked for sync/backup, or offer to do it automatically when demand is low.

No, I paid 5.99 for my copy of Goblins 3, I demand somebody fly out here and hand it to me.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Industrial posted:

Notice that your post occurred after my post, meaning that time has passed and the status of things may have changed.

edit: And it's down yet again.

Up for me. Try downforeveryone.com if you're not sure if a site is just down for you or not.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Oh man, guys. They have a multitude of servers running the website and whichever one you get is determined randomly by a load balancer. Since these things are not perfect you'll sometimes get one that's overloaded, or maybe even out of date, or actually currently in maintenance.

So from time to time you will see the maintenance page and that's it.

HatSmack
Jan 28, 2009
drat you GOG, always messing with our minds! :argh:

Anyways... does using Baldur's Gate II classes in BG 1 make the game unbalanced at all?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

If anyone's purely trying to back up their games at this time, just stay on your account page and don't leave it. You should be able to access your links just fine (especially if you're using a download manager to queue up downloads).

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

HatSmack posted:

drat you GOG, always messing with our minds! :argh:

Anyways... does using Baldur's Gate II classes in BG 1 make the game unbalanced at all?
Kind of, but not in the way I think you're thinking. The classes as they were implemented in BG2 were designed to be played from level 8 or 9 - BG2's starting levels. Using BG2 classes in BG1 via Tutu can actually feel underpowered, though not critically so; it's still perfectly playable.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, literally there is no reason to be mad at them anymore unless you just like holding grudges. They made a mistake, then admit it, they make no attempt to cover it up and promise not to do it again.

I have to agree with this, and with the guy's points about DRM. The way they did this was stupid, but there was no harm done in the end.

Most importantly, I was taught a lesson about backing up my installers.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

AxeManiac posted:

But...but getting angry over the internet over insignificant things is so easy!

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
That dude's emoticons are obnoxious but he's right about Steam loving over Euros with that dollar conversion.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

That dude's emoticons are obnoxious but he's right about Steam loving over Euros with that dollar conversion.

Haven't we verified that it's greedy publishers and not Valve?

If not, someone needs to take the blame for this so we can all move on.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

For gently caress sakes, it's the publishers, not Valve, there are games that aren't just $1=£1=€1.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Andrigaar posted:

Haven't we verified that it's greedy publishers and not Valve?

If not, someone needs to take the blame for this so we can all move on.
Valve has said this many times in no uncertain terms so I think we can just stop beating that dead loving horse now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Finally got all my games and the extras backed up. Even picked up Baldur's Gate in the process :3:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Valve has said this many times in no uncertain terms so I think we can just stop beating that dead loving horse now.

Okay then. Now tell Knobby so he pays attention for once.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Grey Fox V2 posted:

And I think Recettear proved that it was true since its price is converted fairly across regions.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah I guess I'm pretty much over the whole thing now. They acknowledge that they unintentionally pissed off a lot of people with the whole thing and ("probably") won't do it again, and the guy who spearheaded the whole thing takes full responsibility, with some sort of peace offering on the way for next week. They're about as genuinely apologetic about it as I've ever seen.

Still, now I'm redownloading everything to burn to disc in tandem with probably half their customer base. They may well have saved themselves some future bandwidth at the cost of causing the site to melt down upon relaunch.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

On the other hand, GOG includes a 15% VAT charge that I shouldn't have to pay. v:)v

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Still, now I'm redownloading everything to burn to disc in tandem with probably half their customer base. They may well have saved themselves some future bandwidth at the cost of causing the site to melt down upon relaunch.

This is like a digital version of the fable of the Grasshopper and the ant.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

AxeManiac posted:

This is like a digital version of the fable of the Grasshopper and the ant.

So the rest of us need to take screenshots of our collection walls so we can grovel to him when the time comes that we're jonesing?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Naw, I meant just the whole situation, not him exactly.

GOG was like, "Well, if anything happens, you can download your files again" and everyone said, okay, so you will give me the files every time and I don't need to worry about them, and GOG was like "Well, yeah, but we made them DRM free, you can put them on multiple computers, do whatever you want with them" and everyone just said, whatever and kept playing their fiddles while some dudes actually downloaded their games and saved them somewhere.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

For gently caress sakes, it's the publishers, not Valve, there are games that aren't just $1=£1=€1.

Okay well whomever it is I really don't give a gently caress because i'm not Euro.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Tito Smiley posted:

Also nthing that Metaboli buying these guys would be the worst thing. They've already cannibalized what was left of GameTap. Granted, GT sort of screwed themselves up before the buyout, who knows how. Maybe TheRedEye can give us some dirt.

Fun fact: I have lost 40 lbs. and quit smoking since I left GameTap. That was by far the worst job I've ever had, I may need therapy.

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

Does anybody here use the GOG downloader? I just installed it, opened it up, and have tried adding games to download, but nothing gets added to my queue. My account page says the game is added, but the downloader just says "Your download queue is empty..."

I've checked out their support page for it, but nothing there really seems to fit the problem I'm having.

I feel like I'm missing something really simple and obvious :(

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
They're apparently redoing the downloader, so it wouldn't surprise me if the old one didn't work any more.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheRedEye posted:

Fun fact: I have lost 40 lbs. and quit smoking since I left GameTap. That was by far the worst job I've ever had, I may need therapy.

Are you allow to tell horror stories about working there yet? Also where did you get your custom title from (I been meaning ask this).

Anyway, I wonder if should get Duke Nukem 3D. I didn't get a PC until 2000, so I missed Duke coming out, but with Forever coming, I should play it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

On the other hand, GOG includes a 15% VAT charge that I shouldn't have to pay. v:)v

Karma, bitches. :v:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Rirse posted:

Are you allow to tell horror stories about working there yet? Also where did you get your custom title from (I been meaning ask this).

Anyway, I wonder if should get Duke Nukem 3D. I didn't get a PC until 2000, so I missed Duke coming out, but with Forever coming, I should play it.

Get it and download eduke and the high res texture packs and lighting, BRAND NEW GAME!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I really, really, really hope they finally put up some Wizardry games! Especially Wizardry 8. I was just going through GoG's catalogue and suddenly all my fond childhood memories of that series just hit me like a brick. gently caress, I hope it's not caught up in some retarded licensing limbo. :(

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

XausF1 posted:

I really, really, really hope they finally put up some Wizardry games! Especially Wizardry 8. I was just going through GoG's catalogue and suddenly all my fond childhood memories of that series just hit me like a brick. gently caress, I hope it's not caught up in some retarded licensing limbo. :(

I can be wrong, but I think I saw a "Wizardry Series" on a frame on that video they put (the same that had Baldurs Gate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

TheRedEye posted:

It was so awesome when it had the 3d interface, produced shows/adult swim stuff, and all those awesome classic games though. I really wish you guys where still there seeing what it's become.