Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chachu posted:

No, I mean an option after you do that where it arranges the stops in the fastest way. As it is now it just puts them however you enter them/move them around. Maybe it does it and I can't see the option.

edit: Oh! Mapquest does it. This'll work.

I see you found Mapquest's option, but if you need an offline option then Microsoft Streets and Trips does this as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What's the best internet service option in the US for someone who's starting a job that will require her to relocate (possibly to a different state) every three months? Girlfriend's mother asked me to solve this problem for her, but it isn't something I ever thought about.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 24, 2010

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

chachu posted:

No, I mean an option after you do that where it arranges the stops in the fastest way. As it is now it just puts them however you enter them/move them around. Maybe it does it and I can't see the option.

edit: Oh! Mapquest does it. This'll work. http://new.mapquest.com/routeplanner

I always thought google maps did all of that.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I always thought google maps did all of that.

Me too. I seem to remember using it to plot the quickest route through a bunch of garage sales, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the option to do it is.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I mean that it always plots the quickest route by default.

Avoid this or that is helpful though. Actually mapquest is pretty slick now. I'll probably use it more. It used to suck balls.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

What is there any current symbolism for the Betsy Ross flag? I work with a guy who has one on his car, and I can't figure out why. We're in the upper midwest, IT people in our mid-20's, and I believe he's former military. I don't really like the guy, so I don't wanna ask him, and google didn't have anything helpful.

I'm guessing it's some sort of tea party-related thing, but I'm baffled.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Rollersnake posted:

What's the best internet service option in the US for someone who's starting a job that will require her to relocate (possibly to a different state) every three months? Girlfriend's mother asked me to solve this problem for her, but it isn't something I ever thought about.

I think most cell phone companies have 3G or 4G wireless internet service at this point. That would probably be your best bet. Or have her ask other people who work where she's working what they do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does oyster sauce need to be refrigerated?

one sexy loser
Dec 10, 2007

Anything that is hardy enough to grow in Oyster sauce deserves to be eaten, along with your respect.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

haveblue posted:

...google solved the traveling salesman problem?
Traveling salesman is trivial to bruteforce for small values of N, and there's exponential solutions for it that are practical for up to 100 or so cities.

The Geoff
Oct 11, 2009
A mate of mine vomited over part of my couch and over the carpet at a party last night. Someone said you have to wash it off with vinegar :negative:

Now my couch, carpet, cushions and coffee table reek of vinegar AND vomit. How do you get rid of the smell?? Also, some vinegar slopped on the (laminated wood) coffee table and it's stained parts of the table a whitish colour. Can I reverse this?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is the music video for Heaven Can Wait about a housewife gradually losing her sanity or is it just weird for the sake of weird because Beck worked on it?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

The Geoff: Rent a cleaner for the rug and soft furnishings (assuming the couch cushion covers can't be taken off and carefully washed). In Canada at least, many supermarkets will have the cleaners available for rental near the front of the store. I'm not sure about the table though. Condolences on living in a reeking mess.

Fake edit: you could also go to a pet store and look for a product designed to get rid of biological-based stains and messes.

Real edit: to make it clear(er) what I was referring to.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

The Geoff posted:

A mate of mine vomited over part of my couch and over the carpet at a party last night. Someone said you have to wash it off with vinegar :negative:

Now my couch, carpet, cushions and coffee table reek of vinegar AND vomit. How do you get rid of the smell?? Also, some vinegar slopped on the (laminated wood) coffee table and it's stained parts of the table a whitish colour. Can I reverse this?

I did the same thing, but for cat pee. I wound up with a chair that reeked of vinegar and stunk up my whole apartment. I actually asked about it a page or two back and got no response. What worked for me was liberal amounts of febreeze and baking soda.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Does anyone know much about behind the scenes at Netflix, specifically their deal with the post office? Because I just dropped a DVD in the mail yesterday afternoon right at closing time, about 4 o'clock, and was emailed a notice a half hour ago, at 5 AM on a Saturday, that it had been received. That's ungodly fast. I'm just frankly astonished that the disc got there in 12 hours, and there are people working at the netflix distribution center at this hour to scan the discs in as they come in.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

The Geoff posted:

Bac-Out should work.

Can't help you with the table, though.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Fire In The Disco posted:

Bac-Out should work.

Can't help you with the table, though.

I'm going to second Bac-Out. My kid projectile barfed half-digested chocolate ice cream all over her pillow, her room, her floor, the hallway and my bedroom carpet, and Bac-Out took it right out. It smells downright pleasant now.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
How do I get rid of armpit sweat stains? I've tried nearly every method I could find via google, including alcohol wipes, bleach, dish soap, laundry detergent, and pet stain remover. Will Bac-Out work? Or do I need to go to a dry cleaners or something?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Elijya posted:

Does anyone know much about behind the scenes at Netflix, specifically their deal with the post office? Because I just dropped a DVD in the mail yesterday afternoon right at closing time, about 4 o'clock, and was emailed a notice a half hour ago, at 5 AM on a Saturday, that it had been received. That's ungodly fast. I'm just frankly astonished that the disc got there in 12 hours, and there are people working at the netflix distribution center at this hour to scan the discs in as they come in.

I don't know the specifics, but I do remember reading that they are the USPS's largest customer and they do have arrangements with them that nobody else does.

I found this article that might help: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-08-04/entertainment/0908030313_1_dvd-by-mail-warehouse-trade-secrets

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

I just recently rediscovered a ring given to me by my grandfather. It's silver, and engraved with his initials (which conveniently are the same as mine). Unfortunately it's too small and I would need to resize it. Do I just go to a Birks or something for this?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Mathemagician posted:

How do I get rid of armpit sweat stains? I've tried nearly every method I could find via google, including alcohol wipes, bleach, dish soap, laundry detergent, and pet stain remover. Will Bac-Out work? Or do I need to go to a dry cleaners or something?

What kind of fabric is it?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Does anyone know if there is any up and coming strikes for British Airways, specifically in November?

I googled "upcoming BA strikes" but all the hits I got were for the March strikes.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How does the Droid marketplace work? Is it true there's just no guidelines at all? That'd explain things like the psx/gba emulator and the hotspot creator apps (when sprint normally charges $30 a month to "officially" use it)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

change my name posted:

How does the Droid marketplace work? Is it true there's just no guidelines at all? That'd explain things like the psx/gba emulator and the hotspot creator apps (when sprint normally charges $30 a month to "officially" use it)

They'll kick your app out if it's malicious. Or if it just doesn't work at all.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I don't know the specifics, but I do remember reading that they are the USPS's largest customer and they do have arrangements with them that nobody else does.

I found this article that might help: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-08-04/entertainment/0908030313_1_dvd-by-mail-warehouse-trade-secrets
That article was just about everything I wanted to know, thanks!

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

The Geoff posted:

You need a protein emulsifier.

There's a brand called Anti Icky Poo.

You can use Nature's Miracle too from the pet store, but it may be too weak. If nothing else works, consult with your local crime scene cleanup service. (Seriously.)

Don't just clean the surface. Saturate the cushions. Take note of what he ate.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Any one know anything about scar removal? I got a pimple right above the left side of my mouth and it did nothing but leave a nice dark brown spot above my lip I've gotten my share of scars but right above my lip is really bugging me and it looks really unappealing.

I could always wait for time to pass but even then that would only guarantee a slight fade in color.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Try a skin cream with alpha-hydroxy acids in it; it will speed up skin-cell renewal.

Question: how long does it take for an estate to be settled in Canada? My mother died a few months ago (dad died years before). Her house was already sold because she had to go to a care facility about six years ago, and there's no other large property to dispose of like a car. My older sister is the executor and she's as trustworthy as the dawn, so no problem there, and the will does not have to go through probate or anything. I feel a bit guilty being impatient but to be brutally honest, I need the money. :( In August we were told that the money from her RIF could be released, but now the government/bank/whoever needs to chew the taxes out first.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Are there any decent freeware programs that provide some basic functions that Adobe Acrobat does? Primarily inserting/rotating/deleting pages, creating new PDFs from individual pages and combining two PDFs to form a single one. We have a trial of Adobe Acrobat 9 at work that's going to expire in about 20 days but I can't seem to justify the purchase price.

Plus Acrobat is so big, size wise so it'd be nice to get something more compact and simple.

edit: even though it's $50 (cheap enough), any opinions on CutePDF?

Kitsch! fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 26, 2010

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Drimble Wedge posted:

Question: how long does it take for an estate to be settled in Canada?

This can vary wildly depending on the exact details of the estate. We finally settled my grandfather's estate a few months back. He died over 2 years ago.

Kitsch! posted:

Are there any decent freeware programs that provide some basic functions that Adobe Acrobat does?

Does PrimoPDF do what you want? I've have good luck with it before, but its been awhile so I can't remember if it'll do every job you listed.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Here's my PDF question: all I want is a PDF reader that lets me do highlights (for Mac).
Any ideas?

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

kapalama posted:

Here's my PDF question: all I want is a PDF reader that lets me do highlights (for Mac).
Any ideas?

I do highlights all the time in Preview. Shift + Command + H.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
Anyone know if there are particular laws in either Canada or the US against producing a good specifically designed to break after a period of time? i.e. iPods with poo poo batteries or something.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Drimble Wedge posted:

What kind of fabric is it?
It's to the point where most of my t-shirts have them to some degree. Here are the ones I have on-hand:

• 50% polyester 50% cotton
  • 60% cotton 40% polyester
  • 100% cotton
  • 100% combed cotton

Honestly help for any of these would be appreciated, I am down to wearing like three shirts!

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

Anyone know if there are particular laws in either Canada or the US against producing a good specifically designed to break after a period of time? i.e. iPods with poo poo batteries or something.

That's known as planned obsolescence, and as far as I know it's not illegal in the US or Canada. It is in the UK, though; if nothing else, it's considered a breach of customer rights to make something designed to fail just outside the warranty period. I can't speak for other examples of it.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

Idran posted:

That's known as planned obsolescence, and as far as I know it's not illegal in the US or Canada. It is in the UK, though; if nothing else, it's considered a breach of customer rights to make something designed to fail just outside the warranty period. I can't speak for other examples of it.

Yeah, planned obsolescence. Hypothetically a company producing an inferior product (one that breaks) shouldn't succeed in the market. If only that were true!

Thanks for the link :)

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Anyone know what the Honda Civic of PC headsets (headphones + mic) are?

I think I'm willing to spend up to $100. I keep getting these poo poo Logitech ones that break really quickly. I'd prefer the cans style this time (cover or surround the ears)

:iiaca:

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
It's logitech, but I've had these for the past five or six years, and I've had no complaints. Probably not the highest quality sound, but the mic's decent quality and they're not uncomfortable.

Edit: Maybe I just got lucky, though, because the reviews on Amazon put this down as a cheap piece of crap. :iiam:

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 27, 2010

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I would get those, but the reviews on amazon are so bad, lol.

Maybe I'll try them out anyway since they're pretty cheap.

I'm also fiddling around with the idea of getting a separate, competent mic and dedicated headphones. I do watch some movies on here as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

SIHappiness posted:

I do highlights all the time in Preview. Shift + Command + H.

I have heard that Preview did this before, but it has never worked for me. Does this do permanent highlighting? Does it highlight in non-OCR documents?