Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I want to be you Doctor. :(

I hate being in school and not having a job, so many loving movies I need to get. Hopefully this all pays off and i'll just bum rush a online store with a $1,000 order. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
Too bad about the Scott Pilgrim cover, I was hoping for the one with just Cera with the guitar and the red background. Eh, whatever. I can't believe the amount of pre-orders you folk are carrying, the accountant in me won't let me give away interest-free loans like that. I usually never pre-order but right now I've got Thin Red Line, Apocalypse Now, and Scott Pilgrim. At some point I'll nab the Alien Anthology, too.

This fall is stacked, at least my girlfriend has things she can buy me for Christmas (Videodrome, Seven Samurai, The Exorcist), I'm one of those people who are terrible at coming up with things for people to get them.

I did a big Amazon order with my last paycheck of the summer, among other things I did a blind buy of The Baader Meinhof Complex, has anyone else picked this up? Its a phenomenal release and definitely now one of my favorites on the shelf.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Silber posted:

I did a big Amazon order with my last paycheck of the summer, among other things I did a blind buy of The Baader Meinhof Complex, has anyone else picked this up? Its a phenomenal release and definitely now one of my favorites on the shelf.

Great Blu-Ray of a great film. MPI is responsible for some awesome discs: Baraka, Becket, Mary and Max, Tell No One, etc.

Really looking forward to checking out The Killer Inside Me from them next week.

edit: the cover art is hilariously bad though. Look at how smooshed everything is!

Bambi fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 23, 2010

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

The Killer Inside Me looks pretty good, not a stunner by any means but it's solid.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I've got a question for you guys.

I've had my Blu-ray player since Christmas and I've only brought one Blu-ray with it, Bullit.

I have netflix and have had a bunch of Blu-rays, but I can't decide what ones to buy.

Does anyone have a site that has the essential Blu-rays to own or can someone give a list of decent titles?

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

screenwritersblues posted:

I've had my Blu-ray player since Christmas and I've only brought one Blu-ray with it, Bullit.

I have netflix and have had a bunch of Blu-rays, but I can't decide what ones to buy.

Does anyone have a site that has the essential Blu-rays to own or can someone give a list of decent titles?

Bambi posted:

Baraka

Also, that question's kind of hard to answer without knowing what kind of movies you're into.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Honestly just buy movies you like. Think of your favorite movies, go look at the reviews/screencaps, and buy them.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Why would you buy if you have Netflix? Keep renting until you find a title you must have/will watch multiple times, than buy it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rules of thumb:

- Do you have a Criticker account? No? Well, maybe you should. It's a little bit of work, but it's a good resource. Once you've done that, I think it's safe to say the top 10 titles on your overall rankings are own-worthy. Maybe even top 25.

- Ritual movies are a must-buy. Anything you know you'll watch multiple times with friends, or by yourself, are sort of necessary.

- Have a personal favorite you're on the fence about, and it got a great Blu-Ray release? Consider getting it. I already own the Back to the Future DVD set, but the sheer enormity of the Blu-Ray set is making me consider a purchase. Same goes if it got a lovely DVD release, or no release at all.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
DVDBeaver and Blu-Ray.com are great resources for checking out image quality on a Blu-Ray you're considering purchasing.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I wish Pee Wee's Big Adventure would get a Blu-Ray release :smith:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

SpaceAceJase posted:

I wish Pee Wee's Big Adventure would get a Blu-Ray release :smith:

In the meantime, it's streaming on Netflix at 720p.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Scott Pilgrim is up for preorder on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L20IE2/ref=pe_11480_17029050_emwa_email_title_1

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.

Silber posted:

I can't believe the amount of pre-orders you folk are carrying, the accountant in me won't let me give away interest-free loans like that.

They don't charge you until it ships, and you get the lowest price over the course of the preorder. Unless you change your mind about a preorder and forget to cancel before the ship date, there is no downside.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

royalejest posted:

They don't charge you until it ships, and you get the lowest price over the course of the preorder. Unless you change your mind about a preorder and forget to cancel before the ship date, there is no downside.

I was gonna say this too. With amazon sometimes you even get free release day shipping (mostly on videogames but still)

SMP
May 5, 2009

I got amazon to apply my $20 (supposed to be for game purchases only) to my scott pilgrim order. Just got Scott Pilgrim for $10.97 in total :v:

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

SMP posted:

I got amazon to apply my $20 (supposed to be for game purchases only) to my scott pilgrim order. Just got Scott Pilgrim for $10.97 in total :v:

Probably going to wind up even cheaper, too, as I doubt it'll still be $28 on release day.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Alice In Wonderland is today's Deal Of The Day on Amazon.

Blu-Ray - $13.99: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HN6940?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001HN6940
Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy - $14.99: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E48AYC?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003E48AYC
Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy/Film Cell Photo Frame - $39.99: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HC8ITI?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003HC8ITI

You can also get $10 off if you buy also Beauty & The Beast or Toy Story 3. Promo code DISNEYHZ

Beauty & The Beast - Total price $29.95: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DZX44I?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003DZX44I
Toy Story 3 - Total price $33.94: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XKPPOU?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003XKPPOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Thanks to the GBS thread that scored me the free PRIME account, and this recent discussion, I have preordered a buttload of movies.

18 to be precise. :frogc00l:

e: do Amazon preorders ship on release date or before so you receive them on the release date?

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 23, 2010

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

do Amazon preorders ship on release date or before so you receive them on the release date?

The latter. I usually don't receive shipping confirmation until the day before, but since going Amazon Prime, I've received EVERY movie on release date.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tony Danza Claus posted:

GBS thread that scored me the free PRIME account

Where is this thread, and is the offer still open? I always go for the "Super Saving Shipping" because I can't stand the idea of paying for shipping when I don't have to, but it kinda sucks getting everything late.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FitFortDanga posted:

Where is this thread, and is the offer still open? I always go for the "Super Saving Shipping" because I can't stand the idea of paying for shipping when I don't have to, but it kinda sucks getting everything late.

There's also a thread in SA-Mart dedicated to shared Prime accounts. If you split it 5 ways, you get a year of Prime for $16 each.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy

royalejest posted:

Yeah I only just figured this out, I've spent the last half hour making pre-orders. Gotta get Cronos.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

FitFortDanga posted:

This was the offer that was being kicked around:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

If you have a school email.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get Him to the Greek reviewed
Mandingo reviewed

Despicable Me 12/14

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Silber posted:

Too bad about the Scott Pilgrim cover, I was hoping for the one with just Cera with the guitar and the red background. Eh, whatever. I can't believe the amount of pre-orders you folk are carrying, the accountant in me won't let me give away interest-free loans like that. I usually never pre-order but right now I've got Thin Red Line, Apocalypse Now, and Scott Pilgrim. At some point I'll nab the Alien Anthology, too.

Why in God's name does anyone put a quote from Peter Travers on their box? :psyduck: I could understand if that was the only positive review, but his name is just like admitting it's bland poo poo.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I am having very mixed feelings right now.

On one hand, I am ecstatic because my Se7en blu-ray just arrived here.
On the other, I am sad because my 1080p laptop is being repaired, and there isn't an HD TV in my dorm room to watch it in all of its glory.

I guess I'll just have to stick with a 420p :qq:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

edit:

Once Upon a Time in America 1/11

The preorder for this just popped up on Amazon. $17.49

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019NB97A?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0019NB97A

quote:

For the Blu-ray release, video will be presented in 1080p accompanied by a DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack. Extras include Historian Commentary and a Making-of Documentary.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Got my copy of Return of the Living Dead in the mail today. Thanks for the heads up by the way. It's the first time I've seen it and it's pretty good. It's still $10 new if anyone is still interested.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Silber posted:

Too bad about the Scott Pilgrim cover, I was hoping for the one with just Cera with the guitar and the red background. .

I would prefer the cover to be the same as the movie poster, but I'm not that worried about it since i have noticed a lot of movies doing different covers for movies based on what version you buy.

For example, Iron Man 2 has different covers for the Bluray+DVD+Digital Copy, Just the Bluray, and just the DVD, plus the Target exclusive.

I hardly ever watch or redeem the digital copies so I would probably just pick up the bluray only Scott Pilgrim.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volcasarus ReX posted:

I would prefer the cover to be the same as the movie poster, but I'm not that worried about it since i have noticed a lot of movies doing different covers for movies based on what version you buy.

For example, Iron Man 2 has different covers for the Bluray+DVD+Digital Copy, Just the Bluray, and just the DVD, plus the Target exclusive.

I hardly ever watch or redeem the digital copies so I would probably just pick up the bluray only Scott Pilgrim.

Scott Pilgrim is only getting one release, the combo pack.

Grindhouse has lossy audio :saddowns:

Depeche Mode: Tour of the Universe - Live in Barcelona 11/8

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watched Thin Red Line today, it was a really good movie. Highly recommended everyone watch. :)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon's DOTD is The Wizard of Oz UCE for $37. That's about the same price as the plain-wrap 3-disc "Emerald Edition"

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So amazon UK had the Band of Brothers set for 27 bucks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001DEAAIY/?tag=sdfp-21&prv=slickdeals&cur=slickdeals&ses=

But it has almost an hour and a half less runtime than the one listed on the US amazon site : http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-Blu-ray-Scott-Grimes/dp/B00129H7VS/ref=sr_1_3?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285350020&sr=8-3

They were released within a day of each other, whats the difference?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maniacripper posted:

So amazon UK had the Band of Brothers set for 27 bucks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001DEAAIY/?tag=sdfp-21&prv=slickdeals&cur=slickdeals&ses=

But it has almost an hour and a half less runtime than the one listed on the US amazon site : http://www.amazon.com/Band-Brothers-Blu-ray-Scott-Grimes/dp/B00129H7VS/ref=sr_1_3?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285350020&sr=8-3

They were released within a day of each other, whats the difference?

As far as I know, the disc contents are exactly the same.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Exorcist screengrabs here

Death Note reviewed
Frozen reviewed

The American 12/14
The A-Team 12/14
The Other Guys 12/14
Salt 12/14

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The discs are indeed identical.

Amazon UK is the series runtime. Amazon US is the series + two featurettes runtime.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

doctor thodt posted:

The Exorcist screengrabs here
Looks great, the reds are especially vivid

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Iron Man 2 (single disc edition) just dropped to $17.99 on Amazon. If you don't care about extras and missed out on the Walmart deal, it's decent

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YHSE7W?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003YHSE7W

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Sporadic posted:

Iron Man 2 just dropped to $17.99 on Amazon. Good for the people who got hosed over on the WalMart deal. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YHSE7W?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003YHSE7W

Worth noting that it's missing all the extra features on disc 2 of the 3 disc set. (Disc 3 is a DVD/Digital Copy).

Disc 2 contains:

quote:

Ultimate Iron Man: The Making of Iron Man 2 (HD)
Rebuilding the Suit—An all-encompassing look at the beginning stages of this mammoth blockbuster.
A Return to Action—From Marvel Studios to the streets of Monaco, Jon Favreau takes viewers through the trials and triumphs of continuing Iron Man’s story.
Expanding the Universe—From the amazing sets of Stark Expo to Tony Stark’s home and beyond, the Marvel Universe continues to unfold into new and exciting places.
Building a Legacy—From filming to editing, scoring and visual effects, Favreau and his team face the challenges of bringing the sequel to the big screen.
Featurettes (HD):

* Creating Stark Expo—A look at how the sets and computer-generated elements combine to create the massive set piece.Practical Meets Digital—How the “practical” props inform the “digital” work that ultimately brings our hero to life on screen.
* Illustrated Origin: Nick Fury—A comprehensive journey into creating one of the most mysterious and influential heroes in the Marvel Universe.
* Illustrated Origin: Black Widow—An exciting look at the new femme fatale introduced in Iron Man 2.
* Illustrated Origin: War Machine—A look at the introduction of the character and how his friendship with Tony Stark resonates with fans.
* Working with DJ AM—Jon Favreau remembers working with Adam Goldstein.

Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by Jon Favreau (HD):

* Alternate Opening
* Coulson at the Senate
* The Sub-Orbital Jet
* Tony’s Workshop (extended)
* Natalie Wears the Gauntlet
* Flying Party Girl
* Mark II Security
* Element Rediscovered (extended)

Concept Art Gallery
Theatrical Trailers (HD)
Music Video: AC/DC “Shoot To Thrill” (HD)

Personally, I really want to see the making of doc, so I'm sticking with the 3-disc version.

• Locked thread