Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TL posted:

The A&E special isn't completely void of merit. The stuff on the early days of wrestling up to the Gorgeous George era is very interesting, and that's an era that WWE really doesn't do a whole lot on in their current DVD offerings.

When they get up to the 80s, then it gets fishy, because its a lot of guys pushing their own (circa 98) agendas. In particular, Hogan body slamming Andre in front of 420,000 sscreaming Hulkamaniacs where he wasn't sure if Andre was gonna let him go over and then Andre died the day after and blah blah blah.

It is interesting, but it is generally historically inaccurate as gently caress, skips over a ton, and basically tells the story it wants to tell instead of what actually happened.

The 80s and 90s section is probably the most accurate part of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

WeaselWeaz posted:

That's like asking if The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pro Wrestling is on par with the Observer.

It isn't. In any way possible or theoretical.

Are you telling me that The Rock's real name isn't Rocky Melvin?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Does anyone know how many copies Wrestling Society X sold?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Which Botchamania covered Heroes of Wrestling?

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
What in gods name is up with Heenan's introduction of Lex Luger to the WWF at the '93 RR? He was practically beating off over Luger's body. It was just really... creepy, I guess.

ProFro
Jun 29, 2008
Anyone know how much Vince is actually worth?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've often wondered, if Vince draws a salary of a dollar a year from WWE, which he does, how the hell does he live? I mean, I understand he has a butt-ton of stock and poo poo but that doesn't really pay for day-to-day millionaire stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I've often wondered, if Vince draws a salary of a dollar a year from WWE, which he does, how the hell does he live? I mean, I understand he has a butt-ton of stock and poo poo but that doesn't really pay for day-to-day millionaire stuff.

Yes it does. He owns the controlling interest in a huge company and also gets money from WWE as a performer. But the latter is a pittance compared to the kind of money he gets from ownership of the company.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
What kind of day to day millionaire stuff does Vince do? Does he live in a McMahonsion? Does he drive gold rocket cars? I kind of want to know, actually.

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

The A-Team Van posted:

What kind of day to day millionaire stuff does Vince do? Does he live in a McMahonsion? Does he drive gold rocket cars? I kind of want to know, actually.

He lives in Connecticut and says "gently caress you, I got mine"

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

The A-Team Van posted:

* have sex with employees
* order butler to clean rug by hand
* ride around in a jet

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

Yes it does. He owns the controlling interest in a huge company and also gets money from WWE as a performer. But the latter is a pittance compared to the kind of money he gets from ownership of the company.
But how would he get money from ownership of WWE stock if the company doesn't pay him? It's a public company. The profits don't go to Vince. They go to the company. He gets a salary of a dollar a year and draws a paycheck for being a performer but he doesn't really perform anymore.

I don't know. Dude's obviously filthy rich I'm just curious how it works considering WWE doesn't pay him a salary. Bonuses maybe?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

LividLiquid posted:

But how would he get money from ownership of WWE stock if the company doesn't pay him? It's a public company. The profits don't go to Vince. They go to the company. He gets a salary of a dollar a year and draws a paycheck for being a performer but he doesn't really perform anymore.

I don't know. Dude's obviously filthy rich I'm just curious how it works considering WWE doesn't pay him a salary. Bonuses maybe?

You don't really understand how owning stock works, do you?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

El Duke posted:

You don't really understand how owning stock works, do you?
I own WWE stock, actually. Quite a bit of it. And I don't get any money from it unless I sell it, which Vince isn't doing. So no, sir. I think maybe you don't understand how owning stock works.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
How do you own stock and not know what a dividend is?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached
Last told, Vince owns around 4.5 million shares of WWE stock. The WWE dividend in 2009 was 36 cents a share, quarterly (you should know this if you own WWE stock, since you should be getting this). Vince and family only took 24 cents, or 2/3rds. Round that a little bit to an even $1 a year, and Vince gets around $4.5 million off the stock dividend alone. He has many other investments, ventures, etc, that also pay out. But his shares alone give him around that figure a year, at least in 2009.

So, yeah, I still think you don't know how owning stock works.

evale
Dec 20, 2009
All that income is probably spread over long term savings, short term investments, other stocks, etc. Combine all that money over several years backed by sound financial planning (you'd have to be a drug addled former child actor to not have someone managing your millions) and you end up with a lot of money.

Plus his son-in-law is a successful undertaker.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

I own WWE stock, actually. Quite a bit of it. And I don't get any money from it unless I sell it, which Vince isn't doing. So no, sir. I think maybe you don't understand how owning stock works.

If you own stock and have honestly never received a dividend then something is horribly, horribly wrong. I'm quite serious, that's loving ridiculous.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

LividLiquid posted:

Vince is stiffing you. Call and ask for your dividends

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

evale posted:

Plus his son-in-law is a successful undertaker.

That took me little while to get.

Bravo.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

LividLiquid posted:

LividLiquid, you are one of my favorite people here, but come on dude.

Content: How big is the WWE getting in India right now? I have Indian friends that will randomly ask me what the Great Khali is up to, so they're definitely gaining SOME cultural relevance.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think it's quite obvious what's going on here. Livid, vince mcmahon is stealing the money that should be going to you!! This is what's allowing him to live his day-to-day lifestyle of being a millionaire. You have been grievously wronged.

Livid: where's my money?
Vince: it was me livid! It was me all along!!!
JR: son of a bitch!

Really though find out why your not getting paid.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Not all companies give dividends, and even the ones that do if they have different classes of stock not all classes receive the dividend.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

oldpainless posted:

Really though find out why your not getting paid.

Buying stock does not mean you get put on a salary.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

CSammich posted:

Not all companies give dividends, and even the ones that do if they have different classes of stock not all classes receive the dividend.

The dividends are pretty much the only reason anyone ever suggests buying WWE stock.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Ghost Town Perv posted:

How do you own stock and not know what a dividend is?
How do you know what a dividend is and not know that very few stocks pay them and WWE's isn't one of them unless the fuckers managing my IRA are just absolutely horrible about-

*Reads further...*

WHAT?! :aaaaa:

Edit: Holy crap, I made a little money!

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 23, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve Jobs does the whole "$1/year in salary" thing at Apple, too. (He takes the dollar so he qualifies for the company health plan.) His Apple stock options, however, have made him absolutely disgustingly rich.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Timby posted:

Steve Jobs does the whole "$1/year in salary" thing at Apple, too. (He takes the dollar so he qualifies for the company health plan.) His Apple stock options, however, have made him absolutely disgustingly rich.

His Disney shares are what really put him over the top. When Disney bought Pixar, he became their biggest shareholder.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

WeaselWeaz posted:

The dividends are pretty much the only reason anyone ever suggests buying WWE stock.

I punched "wwe stock dividend" into Google and literally every article is "wow they have a really good dividend".

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
$1/year is his salary for running the company. He also gets paid for performing and making appearances like any other "talent."

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Did people actually pop for the Razor's Edge? That's seriously a weak looking move, it's like a watered down powerbomb.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'know, for a blunder that big, at least me being a dipshit had the happy ending of finding a pile of money I didn't know I had.

And yeah. People totally dug on the Razor's edge before Hall started making it more of a back bumb than a neck bump. Take the border toss for instance. That poo poo looks brutal.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shitty_Wok posted:

What in gods name is up with Heenan's introduction of Lex Luger to the WWF at the '93 RR? He was practically beating off over Luger's body. It was just really... creepy, I guess.

That was Luger's gimmick, "The Narcissist". He was supposed to be the epitome of physical perfection. And he was a heel, so of course Heenan would go nuts over it.

WWE would later recycled the gimmick for Chris Masters.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Shitty_Wok posted:

Did people actually pop for the Razor's Edge? That's seriously a weak looking move, it's like a watered down powerbomb.

In 93 powerbombs weren't exactly common in the WWF, so it was a pretty crazy move back then. And regardless of speed, it's a 6'7" guy holding someone pretty high up before dropping them.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
Is there somewhere online I can watch Chikara? I've never been able to find more than random clips

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Faxman posted:

Is there somewhere online I can watch Chikara? I've never been able to find more than random clips

Not for free. They have some of their shows up on Hybrident.tv, I believe. But no full matches.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Davros1 posted:

Please the name "The Master of the Masterlock, The Masterpiece Chris Masters".

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Where's the best place to buy Chikara DVDs? I'm interested in the King of Trios DVDs but 1.) Smart Mark Videos only has the last two and 2.) I can't justify dropping 60 dollars for the full event right now :(

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Davros1 posted:

That was Luger's gimmick, "The Narcissist". He was supposed to be the epitome of physical perfection. And he was a heel, so of course Heenan would go nuts over it.

Also Mark Jindrak and I guess Cody Rhodes is kinda like that now too.

e: I actually had "Matt Morgan" typed up there before looking up "the Reflection of Perfection". I honestly can't remember what Mark Jindrak even looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That whole gimmick has been around since the 50's at the very least and I can count at least fifteen wrestlers who've used it.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 24, 2010