Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Have you seen The Man from Laramie? It's a lot prettier and more psychologically rich than The Naked Spur (though I dig The Naked Spur a lot, especially in context).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Have you seen The Man from Laramie? It's a lot prettier and more psychologically rich than The Naked Spur (though I dig The Naked Spur a lot, especially in context).

No, it and Bend of the River are next on my Mann westerns list, might get around to them in the next few weeks. I've liked the other three of his westerns I've seen so this was a real disappointment, though it wasn't terrible or anything.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Bend of the River's not very good. Regardless, go watch Stroszek.

So I watched Ugetsu Monogatari last week and forgot all about this thread. It was real good. Compositionally better than Kurosawa. Is Mizoguchi usually this good, or is Ugetsu like an outlier in his canon?

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Bad and the Beautiful I've been meaning to get into Minnelli.

Odd Man Out Sitting on my DVR. Give me an excuse.

Partie de campagne More Renoir, why not?

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy, The Red Shoes, Harvey, M. Hulot's Holiday, Trouble in Paradise, Ugetsu Monogatari

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

penismightier posted:

Bend of the River's not very good. Regardless, go watch Stroszek.

So I watched Ugetsu Monogatari last week and forgot all about this thread. It was real good. Compositionally better than Kurosawa. Is Mizoguchi usually this good, or is Ugetsu like an outlier in his canon?

I actually think "Sansho" is a better movie, but honestly I've enjoyed everything he's made that I've seen. The Japanese tend to view Kurosawa more as a "Western" filmmaker, Mizoguchi is widely considered the greatest true Japanese director.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

zandert33 posted:

I actually think "Sansho" is a better movie, but honestly I've enjoyed everything he's made that I've seen.

I agree with both of these statements, I need to put some Mizoguchi on my list.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Goddamn it, I keep missing my chance to choose for PA. There's a few on his list where I'm really curious to see what he thinks.

As for Mizoguchi, I adore him. Besides Ugetsu, I'm very fond of:

A Geisha
My Love Has Been Burning
Sansho the Bailiff
The Life of Oharu
Utamaro and his Five Women
Street of Shame
The Story of the Late Chrysanthemums
The Crucified Lovers
The Straits of Love and Hate

...and the others I've seen are good too. The only one I haven't cared much for is his take on the old "47 Ronin" story, and even that one I'd like to revisit.

penismightier posted:

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Go with this, and you'd better love it.

The Crying Game - I knew nothing about this movie going in, except the one thing you're not supposed to know. I expected it to be right at the end, but I was surprised to see that the big "reveal" somewhat early in the film. And it's that point that things start getting strange. This is a tough movie to pin down... part political thriller, part offbeat romance, part psychological drama. But I think the jumbledness of it was what I ultimately liked about it. The performances aren't that great (and Forest Whitaker's accent is really shoddy), the cinematography is nothing special, and taken individually, the plot points are either goofy or clichéd. Somehow, though, it all gels into something rather captivating. I found myself wanting to see what would happen next, and becoming involved in the developing relationship. I don't know if I'd watch this again, but I'm glad I saw it once. Rating: 8

updated list:

1. The Crying Game
1. Edvard Munch ("100 Films Beyond the Canon") - I'm just hoping this isn't as awful as Punishment Park.

2. The Reckless Moment
2. Fox and His Friends ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Fassbinder is more miss than hit with me. Got a bad vibe about this one, but I could be surprised.

3. The Big Parade ("100films.net's Greatest 100 Films Ever Made") - I need to watch this one for several other lists as well.

4. Moonfleet
4. Icon of Cool ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - I have no idea. Something Korean.

5. Yankee Doodle Dandy
5. Landscape in the Mist ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Something by Angelopoulos is an iffy proposition: Eternity and a Day was okay, but Travelling Players was a massive bore.

6. Pour la suite du monde ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I don't know anything about this list (the description is in French) or this movie.

7. Mon Oncle d'Amerique ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I like most Resnais.

8. Wuthering Heights
8. The White Balloon
8. High School ("Gerald Peary's 100 Films For Film Literacy") - I liked Titicut Follies, so I'm certainly open to more Wiseman.

9. The Naked Island
9. Hold Me While I'm Naked
9. Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance/Baby Cart at the River Styx/Baby Cart to Hades ("Diskuterfilm.com's top 30 of the 1970s") - I've wanted to see one of these for a long time. "Baby Cart to Hades" is the one on the list, but I'll watch the first two as well.

10. The Savage Innocents ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - Nicholas Ray is usually good.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

3. The Big Parade ("100films.net's Greatest 100 Films Ever Made") - I need to watch this one for several other lists as well.

Well, I remember you're not the biggest fan of The Crowd, so I hope you like this one better.

I finally had a chance to watch Fat City. It's the kind of movie I haven't seen in a while (Gypsy Moths was kind of a glossier dumber sort of thing), and I was pretty happy to see it. A lot of the actors barely felt like actors, the heat and dirt of central California was in full display, and Keach's slow and quiet mannerisms, while never subtle, were very engaging. And I absolutely loved the end shot.

Since I got robbed last week, I barely have any access to Netflix and a few of the movies on my list were taken. As such, new list time, drawing mostly on the DVDs I have laying around that I haven't seen:

1. Twenty Four Eyes - I think I just now read the back of the box. I got it from Borders for $5 and it's a Criterion.

2. Made in USA - I was super excited when it came out, and then I watched Two or Three Things I Know About Her which I absolutely hated. Godard can be really hit or miss for me (I gave up about twenty minutes of Tout Va Bien last week but also got my Breathless blu ray a few days earlier), so I have no idea how this one will turn out.

3. The Bakery Girl of Monceau - I really should watch through the Eric Rohmer set I've got, it's just always been a daunting task.

4. Vengeance is Mine - My old roommate borrowed this from me at one point and came back saying it sucks. Uh, but the cover looks cool.

5. Elevator to the Gallows - Another cheap DVD I found, really don't know anything about it other than being critically acclaimed.

6. A Story of Floating Weeds/Floating Weeds - I am not the world's biggest fan of slow Japanese dramas. I think Story of Late Chrysanthemums almost put me into a coma. Mostly bought it for the Ebert commentary, but I haven't watched the movies yet so can't quite do that yet.

7. Shop on Main Street - I just realized that this is a different movie than Big Deal on Madonna Street. I don't know how I crossed those wires, but there we go.

8. Let's Go to Prison - Comedy option. Oh god, why does my roommate own this.

Finally Seen: Hiroshima Mon Amour - 8/10, Clockers - 7/10, A Matter of Life & Death - 9/10, Mo' Better Blues - 8/10, Small Back Room - 5/10, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - 8/10, Butterfly - 3/10, Pitfall - 9/10, Woman in the Dunes - 8/10, Face of Another - 7/10, Cornered - 8/10, The Gypsy Moths - 6/10, Empire of Passion - 8/10, Fat City - 8/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

All That Heaven Allows was just impossibly beautiful. Holy gently caress. I'm going to watch it again tomorrow. It simultaneously makes me want to get a knit tie and a martini and wrap myself around a girl who looks like Gloria Talbott, and at the same time disappear into the woods and chop lumber for the rest of my days. Sirk does Technicolor and dolly rigs almost better than Hitchcock. I saw the influence on Fassbinder everyone talks about, but also saw a big influence on Eyes Wide Shut. Maybe that's just me.

It's sort of sad that 50 years ago this majesty was how we told this particular story, and nowadays it's loving American Beauty.

Sheldrake, get up on Floating Weeds. The talkie version.

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

Autumn Sonata Let's do it.

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy, The Red Shoes, Harvey, M. Hulot's Holiday, Trouble in Paradise, Ugetsu Monogatari, All That Heaven Allows

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

penismightier posted:

Granted it's the only one on your list I've ever actually heard of but I'd really recommend it anyway, fantastic film with a very memorable ending... better than The Conversation, for me.

I watched The Killing and although the voice-over stayed throughout & annoyed I was utterly bowled over, what a loving film. It is probably the most perfect heist film there will ever be - smart, sexy, mysterious, funny (Kola Kwariani's fight scene!) & it just oozes cool.

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
I've recently become really interested in early-cinema and although I don't have the patience to deal with Birth of a Nation I realise that D.W. Griffith was pretty important to the development of cinema and would like to see at least one of his films, Intolerance seems to have a message which is the polar opposite of Birth of a Nation so it seems to be a natural choice.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
I like the synopsis of the story and want to see as much Lang as I can.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
Until very recently I had this and Casablanca lumped into the same "old romantic film I don't really need to see" box in my head - after watching the greatness that is Casablanca I fear that this may not actually be worth my time. It's like the Danny DeVito to the Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins... or is it?

5. The Grapes of Wrath (1940, John Ford)
I don't know much about this film or John Ford, I'd like to change that.

6. Citizen Kane (1941, Orson Welles)
My most SHAMEFUL, SHAME.

8. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951, Elia Kazan)
Kazan and Brando - it's got to be great. I really enjoyed an amateur production of Tennessee Williams' play Suddenly Last Summer earlier this year & if this film captures the same sort of wry, brilliant Southern patter than I'll really love it.

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

11. Gojira (1954, Ishirô Honda)
I watched the original King Kong fairly recently and I think it's a shame I've never seen the original Godzilla, I'm expecting enjoyable pop-corn fodder.

12. Un Chien Andalou (1929, Luis Buñuel)
I became aware of it a few years ago when I was looking back at milestone moments in horror & the eye-cutting scene is still with me, iconic. I'd like to experience the whole film though.

13. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (1928, Calr Theodore Dreyer)
As far as 1920's films this one is probably in the higher tier of 'must see'. The iconic imagery is already in my head, it's just a matter of watching the film now!

Seen:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished watching Heat. Brilliant film. I don't know whether it's just me but many of the scenes reminded me of The Dark Knight which makes me wonder if Nolan was at all influenced by it. Very well paced with a gripping conclusion.

BisonDollah go and watch Citizen Kane.

Updated List:

Mullholland Drive - Never had time for this. Heard good things but it always appeared overly complex. Don't know how true that is.

Gone With The Wind - Might very well be the last of the great classics I should watch.

Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

The Great Escape - I'm sure I've seen it but have very little recollection. It's got Coburn, Bronson and McQueen in as had Magnificent Seven so hopefully it's a winning combo.

Infernal Affairs - Heard it's where The Departed took it's story from. Can't be a bad thing.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

The Dirty Dozen - Quite enjoyed wild bunch so thought I'd replace it with a similar 'flawed heroes' film. Kelly's Heroes next, probably.

Hard Boiled - Never seen this and I've no idea why. It looks like the sort of movie I'd like and I've heard great things about John Woo.

To Kill a Mockingbird - I think I vaguely know the story. It seems everyone else was made to read this in school apart from me.

Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

Once Upon A Time In America Zatoichi Downfall Children of Men The Deer Hunter Sunset Boulevard Badlands Jackie Brown Citizen Kane The Wild Bunch Seven Samurai The Magnificent Seven Casablanca Cool Hand Luke Amadeus Rear Window 2001: A Space Odyssey North by Northwest The Graduate It's a Wonderful Life Heat

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
mikewozere, you get Hard Boiled, one of the best action films ever made.

Watched Lawrence of Arabia, and I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said. Peter O'Toole was fantastic and it may be the most gorgeous movie I've ever seen. Plus the battle scenes were some of the best I've seen. Just an allaround amazing film. I look forward to revisiting it.

1) Bonnie and Clyde- one of the last new Hollywood films I've yet to see
2) Alien- no excuse because I've seen the rest
3) Le Samourai- I'm a novice on French film and this interests me
4) Le Cercle Rouge- same as above
5) Once Upon A Time In The West- I'm catching up on my westerns
6) Days of Heaven- the only Malick film I haven't seen
7) Forbidden Planet- I want to delve into some early sci-fi
8) Jacki Brown- this slipped through the racks on me, no excuse
9) Blue Velvet- I'm not a Lynch fan but want to give this a try
10) The Searchers- never seen a John Ford western

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Mistletoe Donkey, please enjoy Alien.

I don't think I was quite prepared for the silliness of Friday the 13th. A group of young idiots go to work at a camp in order to have it open in time for Summer, only to be murdered by somebody for some reason. The fact that the identity and motive of the killer is kept a secret for so long is probably the weakest element. It's hard to care about the characters when they aren't really intended to be likeable for the most part and it's hard to be interested in the situation when all anybody ever does is moan about the faulty generator, even when everyone is dropping like flies.

When we are finally treated to the killer reveal, it's just Psycho in reverse, which isn't actually as bad as it sounds and it is resolved with a decapitation, which always goes down well. I also enjoyed the little music motif ch-ch-ch ah-ah-ah. I'm gonna start doing that to scare people.

Casablanca

Cinema Paradiso As the mod of a forum that derives its name from this film, I almost feel morally obliged to watch it in order to remain in good standing.

Gone With the Wind

Any Werner Herzog apart from Bad Lieutenant.

The Third Man

The Seven Samurai I have no excuse for this as someone who has enjoyed other Kurosawas and other samurai films.

Das Boot This was something of a hit among people I went to college with and I think I was just put off by the length at the time. Not sure why.

The Thin Red Line I've actually never seen a Terence Malick film and I figure this is where I should turn to first.

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Rio Bravo I've never really been a fan of Joh Wayne, but I've always wanted to see this one.

Friday the 13th

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ProfessorClumsy, I'm gonna go a little outside the box and give you Woyzeck, a really wonky Werner Herzog movie I saw not long ago that, frankly, I just want a second opinion on. I feel like it's the most under appreciated of the Herzog/Kinski collaborations. If, however, you want something that's a bit more of a critically well-regarded consensus for "intro to Herzog," I'll give you the option of Aguirre, The Wrath of God instead.

I just finished watching The Manchurian Candidate, and wow, I really loved it. I thought it was gonna be one of those 'classics' that doesn't live up to the decades of critical adoration, but I was pleasantly surprised. The central trio of Angela Lansbury, Frank Sinatra, and Lawrence Harvey were all fantastic, and I liked Janet Leigh's weird love-interest role a lot. Apart from a few little things (the cheesy-romantic flashback by Harvey's character, the constant use of fades as scene transitions), this movie felt incredibly modern. I loved all the low-angle shots, the wonderfully creative camerawork, and the unique score. I loved seeing Frank Sinatra karate-chop some guy. It's definitely my new favorite John Frankenheimer movie, although it should be said that the only others I've seen are Ronin, Prophecy, and Reindeer Games. Oh, and the "garden party" dream sequence is probably one of my favorite movie scenes ever now. Flaws? I guess it could maybe be tightened up pacing-wise a little bit. 9/10

Anyway, my updated list:

Serpico: I have this OCD English major thing where I refuse to see movies unless I've read the book first. I finally finished the book about a week ago, and loved it. About time I saw Pacino's star-making turn.

The Thin Man: Similar to the above. I read the book by Hammett about a year ago and loved it. I meant to see the movie immediately after, but never got around to it. My library has it, so I have no excuse.

Memories of Murder: A discussion in the "recommend me" thread reminded me that I need to see this. I love, love, love a good police procedural.

Sisters: Another I saw at the library. To be honest, I feel I may have seen it, but it was years and years ago if I did and I don't remember. Big fan of DePalma's early horror stuff.

The Rules of the Game: I, uh, hear good things.

Rear Window: Even I'm not sure how I've gone without seeing this one.

Thirst: Love Park Chan-Wook, and the thought of him doing a horror movie sounds awesome, but somehow I missed this one completely.

36th Chamber of Shaolin: Another one my roommate has a copy of that I've been meaning to see for like forever, but could never find anywhere.

Faust (1926): I loved Nosferatu, and I loved Goethe's version of the Faust story, so this sounds right up my alley.

Seen: The Manchurian Candidate

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 24, 2010

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

ProfessorClumsy, I'm gonna go a little outside the box and give you Woyzeck, a really wonky Werner Herzog movie I saw not long ago that, frankly, I just want a second opinion on. I feel like it's the most under appreciated of the Herzog/Kinski collaborations. If, however, you want something that's a bit more of a critically well-regarded consensus for "intro to Herzog," I'll give you the option of Aguirre, The Wrath of God instead.

For the sake of completion, I will watch both.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Saw Singin' in the Rain. Was definitely one of the better musicals I've seen, if not the best. Gene Kelly was great, and Donald O'Connor was also great. Plenty of comedy. Music was very good.

My List:
M - Heard alot about it, but never saw it.

Double Indemnity

Once Upon a Time In the West - Love Sergio Leone, but never got around to seeing this.

Dune
The Day the Earth Stood Still(1951) - I tend to like Sci/Fi, but never saw this.

Animal Crackers - Saw A Night at the Opera recently and loved it. Looking for some more Marx Brothers madness.

Amadeus

7 Samurai
Rashomon - Going to stick with a Kurasawa movie here.

Singin' in the Rain
My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Ed Wood - Saw most Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaborations, but somehow missed this

12 Angry Men

LtKenFrankenstein, I think I saw Rear Window when I was a kid, but I don't remember it, and it may make my list soon. You get to see it first.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've actually seen Bicycle Thieves for a while, I just have dreaded writing about it because christ, it's Bicycle Thieves, what the gently caress else is there to say about Bicycle Thieves. I do want to check out more Italian neo-realism though.

Dmitri Russkie, see Once Upon A Time In The West.

My list

More Italian Neo-Realism
Bicycle Thieves is embarrassingly the only film I've seen in this field.

Anything by Resnais
Probably the last great New Wave director I've seen nothing by.

Vertigo
still embarrassing

Ugetsu
Seen nothing by Mizoguchi, this seems to be the consensus starting point

Lesser-known Peckinpah
by which I mean not The Wild Bunch or Straw Dogs. Wouldn't say I loved either of them, but I am extremely interested in the rest of his career after those two.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 25, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Anything by Resnais
Probably the last great New Wave director I've seen nothing by.

Last Year at Marienbad is calling your name.

The Big Parade - I'm not opposed to comedy in war movies. But I have to admit for the first hour of this, I was thinking: "gee, this is awfully light-hearted for a WWI movie". There aren't a whole lot of chuckles in Paths of Glory or All Quiet on the Western Front. Here we've a lot of dumb slapstick, and although the romantic comedy was sweet and there were some lovely moments, I was wondering why this was so highly regarded. Then right at the halfway point, poo poo gets real. The ensuing battle scenes are absolutely harrowing, and still hold up 85 years later. That first march through the woods is utterly chilling. This is marvelous, intense filmmaking that seems way, way ahead of its time. The film ends on a bittersweet note that I must admit choked me up a little. Besides the slapsticky bits in the first half, and some horribly written intertitles ("The big parade! Men! Guns! Men! Men! Guns!"), this deserves its esteemed reputation. Rating: 9

updated list:

1. The Crying Game
1. Edvard Munch ("100 Films Beyond the Canon") - I'm just hoping this isn't as awful as Punishment Park.

2. The Reckless Moment
2. Fox and His Friends ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Fassbinder is more miss than hit with me. Got a bad vibe about this one, but I could be surprised.

3. The Big Parade
3. The Black Cat ("100 Films Beyond the Canon") - Poe, Ulmer, Lugosi, Karloff... sounds like a winner to me.

4. Moonfleet
4. Icon of Cool ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - I have no idea. Something Korean.

5. Yankee Doodle Dandy
5. Landscape in the Mist ("The Village Voice's 100 Best Films of the 20th Century") - Something by Angelopoulos is an iffy proposition: Eternity and a Day was okay, but Travelling Players was a massive bore.

6. Pour la suite du monde ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I don't know anything about this list (the description is in French) or this movie.

7. Mon Oncle d'Amerique ("Chefs-d'oeuvre de Mediafilm") - I like most Resnais.

8. Wuthering Heights
8. The White Balloon
8. High School ("Gerald Peary's 100 Films For Film Literacy") - I liked Titicut Follies, so I'm certainly open to more Wiseman.

9. The Naked Island
9. Hold Me While I'm Naked
9. Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance/Baby Cart at the River Styx/Baby Cart to Hades ("Diskuterfilm.com's top 30 of the 1970s") - I've wanted to see one of these for a long time. "Baby Cart to Hades" is the one on the list, but I'll watch the first two as well.

10. The Savage Innocents ("DVDBeaver's Desert Island DVDs") - Nicholas Ray is usually good.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
FitFortDanga, you get the first Lone Wolf and Cub film, Sword of Vengeance.

I'm not a big horror but I found Alien far superior to most standard horror and also its sequels. Very atmospheric and perfectly paced. Also it had one of the creepiest scenes I've ever seen. Can't wait for the blu-ray.

2) Breathless- I'm jumping feet first into the New Wave
8) Jackie Brown- this slipped through the cracks on me, no excuse

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Mistletoe Donkey, you get Breathless. I would have given you The Searchers, but if you've never seen a John Ford western, I'd suggest Stagecoach first.

I thought Badlands was beautifully shot, but I couldn't really connect to the story. The style was just too detached for me, and while it's probably the point that I couldn't get into the characters' heads, without that it really fell flat for me.

1. Chinatown Eraserhead - All I know is that it's David Lynch's first feature and it has a guy with freaky hair and a really disturbing baby.

2. Solaris - The plot sounds really interesting, but I'm wary about the length.

3. Bullitt Dog Day Afternoon The Fountain - It's the only Aronofsky film I haven't seen, and he's one of my favorite directors.

4. Sunset Boulevard - Another classic I haven't seen. (I replaced Imitation of Life because I realized that I don't like Sirk as much as I thought I did.)

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I caught For a Few Dollars More on Turner Classic loved it, so I really want to see the first one.

6. Badlands Reservoir Dogs - I really like Tarantino, but I still haven't seen this.

7. North by Northwest Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

8. The Player Perfect Blue - I've never seen a Satoshi Kon film, and it seems right to see it now.

9. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Let the Right One In Apocalypse Now - It's a classic, so of course I should see it, but I really got interested after I read that Coppola said that Aguirre, Wrath of God inspired him while making this.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

1. Chinatown Eraserhead - All I know is that it's David Lynch's first feature and it has a guy with freaky hair and a really disturbing baby.

If I remember correctly I chose Dog Day Afternoon for you last time, well - here's something completely different! Don't want to ruin it for you, it's just loving absurd... and brilliant. Enjoy!

It was a crime against myself not to have seen Citizen Kane until now, I can't say I was thoroughly entertained by it (compared to say The Killing) - it was just a marvel to see. Such a good story, well executed & it's hard not to be impressed by such an ambitious film which has made such an impact.

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
I've recently become really interested in early-cinema and although I don't have the patience to deal with Birth of a Nation I realise that D.W. Griffith was pretty important to the development of cinema and would like to see at least one of his films, Intolerance seems to have a message which is the polar opposite of Birth of a Nation so it seems to be a natural choice.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
I like the synopsis of the story and want to see as much Lang as I can.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
Until very recently I had this and Casablanca lumped into the same "old romantic film I don't really need to see" box in my head - after watching the greatness that is Casablanca I fear that this may not actually be worth my time. It's like the Danny DeVito to the Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins... or is it?

5. The Grapes of Wrath (1940, John Ford)
I don't know much about this film or John Ford, I'd like to change that.

8. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951, Elia Kazan)
Kazan and Brando - it's got to be great. I really enjoyed an amateur production of Tennessee Williams' play Suddenly Last Summer earlier this year & if this film captures the same sort of wry, brilliant Southern patter than I'll really love it.

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

11. Gojira (Godzilla) (1954, Ishirô Honda)
I watched the original King Kong fairly recently and I think it's a shame I've never seen the original Godzilla, I'm expecting enjoyable pop-corn fodder.

12. Un Chien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog) (1929, Luis Buñuel)
I became aware of it a few years ago when I was looking back at milestone moments in horror & the eye-cutting scene is still with me, iconic. I'd like to experience the whole film though.

13. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (The Passion of Joan of Arc) (1928, Carl Theodore Dreyer)
As far as 1920's films this one is probably in the higher tier of 'must see'. The iconic imagery is already in my head, it's just a matter of watching the film now!

14. Bronenosets Potyomkin (Battleship Potemkin) (1925, Sergei M. Eisenstein)
I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy it if what I read is correct but I'm more than willing to give it a chance considering how highly regarded it is.

Seen:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 25, 2010

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Out of the entire Criterion catalog I have seen:

Seven Samurai
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Naked Lunch
Silence of the Lambs
Robocop
The Life Aquatic
Royal Tenenbaums

and Armageddon :psyduck:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Tony Danza Claus posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Well, you have six hours, go grab the Human Condition trilogy or something.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Up - Kind of a depressing movie in that Carl's wife dies and he ends up partially culpable in the death of his hero CF Muntz. I don't even understand the hangup over capturing one of those birds. I guess they needed some sort of conflict. Overall, pretty good.

New List:

#55 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#67 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

#68 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#72 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#84 Cinema Paradiso - Seen it cutdown a lot in this thread. I've been saving this for a rainy day.

#88 Once Upon a Time in America - A friend told me about this probably a decade ago but I don't remember much of what he said.

#89 The Maltese Falcon - I saw some of this on TV long ago and the ending was spoiled for me. I know it has some famous quotes.

#91 All About Eve - All I know is that it beat Sunset Blvd. for best picture in its year so it better be tantalizingly good.

#94 The Elephant Man - I think my mom saw this (addicted to "based on true story"/biopics and nothing else) and told me about it when I was young. The concept frightened me but I'm genuinely interested now.

#95 The Great Dictator - I think I read about this in a textbook once.

BisonDollah posted:

11. Gojira (Godzilla)

I'll say this.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is really good, go watch that Zogo.

Stroszek's a pretty strange film and rather different from what I thought it was about. I expected a film about a recluse with psychological problems and instead got a commentary on the American dream told through a guy with psychological problems. Regardless it was a pretty cool, very Herzogian film and, although a few stretches just seemed thrown in there, the great performances really kept me interested and intrigued.

Updated list:

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters The Criterion cover looks really cool.

Novecento OK, I've decided I want to watch the top 600 TSPDT films by the end of the year. With only 17 left it shouldn't be too hard , but there's a handful I'm reluctant to watch and this one tops the list.

Kanal I've seen one Wajda film, Ashes and Diamonds, and thought it was great. Then nothing for like 3 years and I don't really have a reason why.

Days and Nights in the Forest Why did I stop watching Ray films? Maybe this'll start me back up again.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

The War of The Worlds Bought this a few years ago, never got around to it.

Floating Weeds Along the "directors I like and need to see more from" lines, I haven't sen some Ozu in a while.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Peaceful Anarchy, I'm just gonna make this easy on myself and go with the first one on your list, Beau Travail.

Finally, finally, was able to sit down and watch The Conformist, and absolutely loved it. The story, although certainly not weak, definitely took a back seat to the visuals, which were incredibly striking and vibrant and gave the whole film a really surreal, almost whimsical, feeling. I'm sure over time the basic plot to this movie is going to fade from my mind and the cinematography and composition are what's going to stand out.

New List:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

La Dolce Vita or La Strada Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Ugetsu I've heard about this movie from a few different people, just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Jules et Jim I've seen this movie referenced in several movies, but haven't gotten to watching it yet.

The Wild Bunch I may have actually watched this years ago when I was younger, but I can't remember a thing about it.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

tokillthesunflower, you get Ugetsu. It's not my favorite Mizoguchi movie, but it's the only movie on your list I've seen. Enjoy

I watched Sawdust and Tinsel last night, and thought it was pretty enjoyable. The style reminded me a lot of "Seventh Seal", which has lead me to find out that I think I enjoy Bergman's later movies more then his earlier movies. I do have to say that even though I wouldn't rate it at the top of the list of Bergman I've seen, I am growing to love his work quite a bit.

To prevent my list to turning into a Bergman marathon, I'm going to sideline his pick for this round:

quote:

My updated list:

1. Stagecoach:
Want to watch John Ford's most well known movie

2. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

DO NOT PICK 3. Anything Bergman NOT "Scenes from a Marriage", "Fanny and Alexander", "Seventh Seal" "Sawdust and Tinsel" or "Wild Strawberries DO NOT PICK

4. Schindler's List:
Another movie I've meant to see, but just never have.

5. Any Chaplin movies:
I'm game for any, but just never saw any

6. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

7. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

8. Silence of the Lambs:
Just never got around to watching the full thing.

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zandert33 posted:

To prevent my list to turning into a Bergman marathon

You say that like it's a bad thing :colbert:

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing :colbert:

It's not "bad", but I would like to get some of the rest of my list trimmed down!

VelvetEvoker
Jan 13, 2008

Migi!
Well, I've been meaning to get to a lot of movies but I keep putting them off, so I figure this thread'll be good to combat that.

zandert33, go watch Stagecoach. It really is terrific.

1.Mad Max: I've always been interested in this movie and the sequels, but never got around to it.

2.Wall Street: Another one I've been meaning to get to. With the sequel out, I guess it'd be a good time to watch it.

3.Dazed and Confused: Heard good things about it, looks like something I'd like.

4.The Thing: Kurt Russel is awesome, John Carpenter is awesome, there's really no good reason as to why I haven't seen this.

5.Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Been meaning to watch some more Gilliam, heard a lot about this one.

6.Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels: My friend raves about this movie and she has pretty good taste.

7.It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: Heard a ton of good about this one.

8.Heavy Metal: I can go for some trippy animation, I have the soundtrack and like it a lot.

9.Requiem for a Dream: Another thing I've been meaning to watch for a while.

10.Barton Fink: Love the Coen brothers, this is one of the few I haven't seen.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

VelvetEvoker posted:

Well, I've been meaning to get to a lot of movies but I keep putting them off, so I figure this thread'll be good to combat that.

zandert33, go watch Stagecoach. It really is terrific.

1.Mad Max: I've always been interested in this movie and the sequels, but never got around to it.

2.Wall Street: Another one I've been meaning to get to. With the sequel out, I guess it'd be a good time to watch it.

3.Dazed and Confused: Heard good things about it, looks like something I'd like.

4.The Thing: Kurt Russel is awesome, John Carpenter is awesome, there's really no good reason as to why I haven't seen this.

5.Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: Been meaning to watch some more Gilliam, heard a lot about this one.

6.Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels: My friend raves about this movie and she has pretty good taste.

7.It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World: Heard a ton of good about this one.

8.Heavy Metal: I can go for some trippy animation, I have the soundtrack and like it a lot.

9.Requiem for a Dream: Another thing I've been meaning to watch for a while.

10.Barton Fink: Love the Coen brothers, this is one of the few I haven't seen.

Watch "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". It is SO often quoted and it is one of Johnny Depp's best performances. And it is more of a Hunter S. Thompson than a Gilliam movie...but Thompsons work and Gilliam's directing combined are...something.

So, what did I miss?

1. The Deer Hunter. Apparently one of the great Vietnam movies.

2. The Outsiders

3. Don't look now

4. Wild Strawberries. I love Bergman...should really watch it.

5. The Bridge on the River Kwai. I usually don't like war movies that are that old...but this one has been recommended over and over again.

6. Stagecoach. I like my westerns. A lot.Should really watch it, and if it is just for cinema-historic reasons.

7. Rear Window. Not a Hitchcock fanatic (I love some of his movies but I think the majority is kinda meh) but this has been quoted/redone so often and apparently it is real good. I am also interested in the remake with Cristopher Reeves.

8. 40 Year old virgin. Really not an Apatow fan. At all. Thesse movies are extemely hit and miss for me. Like 90% miss. But everybody I know keeps on telling me I need to see this.

9. The Sound of Music. I LOVE movies from that period, especially musicals. I have literally no idea why I haven't watched this.

10. (Not a movie!) The Sopranos. Watched Season 1. REALLY loved it. It was almost Godfather niveau. But I never watched the other seasons :(

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Popelmon posted:

5. The Bridge on the River Kwai. I usually don't like war movies that are that old...but this one has been recommended over and over again.

You're not going to be missing out on this one anymore.

The Wrestler - I really, really liked this. I grew up with wrestling in the 80s before it turned into a giant soap opera. That combined with some other things really made a connection for me.

1. Satya - I know absolutely nothing about this, other than it's Indian.
2. White Heat - I know absolutely nothing about this, even less than I know about Satya.
3. Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925) - I watched the newer Ben-Hur a couple months ago. Now it's time for a much older version.
4. Coraline - I bought this on blu-ray when it came out. I've seen a little bit here and there from when the kids watched it but never sat down with it.
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - No clue about this movie.
6. Pushpak - Once again, I know nothing about this.
7. Witness for the Prosecution - I think I've heard the name at most.
8. Hellboy II: The Golden Army - First one was alright. Just never got around to watching this.
9. Juno - I loving hated the trailer for this for the same reasons as everyone else that hated it for. The loving dialog. I debated putting this in my list but it is on some other lists I'm trying to complete :(
(NEW) 10. The Kid - Discovered this Chaplin film in one of my 50 movie packs that I've never touched

Seen: The Wrestler

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

chemosh6969 posted:

7. Witness for the Prosecution - I think I've heard the name at most.

Yeah, I'm picking the Billy Wilder movie for you, go figure. Enjoy your Charles Laughton-- enjoy it!

Looking over my lists, Floating Weeds is only the second Ozu film I've seen. And, after watching it, I can say that his movies are absolutely gorgeous. There is no doubt about it. I liked the framing of the shots, I liked the world that the characters existed in.

However, the characters all left me cold. Having just watched the vaguely similar Sawdust and Tinsel last week which had a number of identical themes, I couldn't help but see Floating Weeds as an inferior product in a number of ways. This isn't the fault of Floating Weeds, which certainly heads in a number of different directions, but none of it grabbed me like Bergman's film did. I wish I could have gotten into it more, but in the end, Floating Weeds looked good, and that was about it for me.

My mildly updated list:

1. Twenty Four Eyes - I think I just now read the back of the box. I got it from Borders for $5 and it's a Criterion.

2. Made in USA - I was super excited when it came out, and then I watched Two or Three Things I Know About Her which I absolutely hated. Godard can be really hit or miss for me (I gave up about twenty minutes of Tout Va Bien last week but also got my Breathless blu ray a few days earlier), so I have no idea how this one will turn out.

3. The Bakery Girl of Monceau - I really should watch through the Eric Rohmer set I've got, it's just always been a daunting task.

4. Vengeance is Mine - My old roommate borrowed this from me at one point and came back saying it sucks. Uh, but the cover looks cool.

5. Elevator to the Gallows - Another cheap DVD I found, really don't know anything about it other than being critically acclaimed.

6. Shop on Main Street - I just realized that this is a different movie than Big Deal on Madonna Street. I don't know how I crossed those wires, but there we go.

7. Let's Go to Prison - Comedy option. Oh god, why does my roommate own this.

Finally Seen: Hiroshima Mon Amour - 8/10, Clockers - 7/10, A Matter of Life & Death - 9/10, Mo' Better Blues - 8/10, Small Back Room - 5/10, 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - 8/10, Butterfly - 3/10, Pitfall - 9/10, Woman in the Dunes - 8/10, Face of Another - 7/10, Cornered - 8/10, The Gypsy Moths - 6/10, Empire of Passion - 8/10, Fat City - 8/10, Floating Weeds - 5/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The Bakery Girl of Monceau is only 20 minutes man, just watch it. It's Rohmer, so it's really good, but being an early film and a short it's a bit rough around the edges.

Beau Travail was a really good film, a meditation on the military that's totally separate from the concept of war. I think I appreciated it more than I liked it, though, as even though I had no trouble following it and staying focused I never felt wowed by it or emotionally invested.

Updated list:

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters The Criterion cover looks really cool.

Novecento OK, I've decided I want to watch the top 600 TSPDT films by the end of the year. With only 17 left it shouldn't be too hard , but there's a handful I'm reluctant to watch and this one tops the list.

Kanal I've seen one Wajda film, Ashes and Diamonds, and thought it was great. Then nothing for like 3 years and I don't really have a reason why.

Days and Nights in the Forest Why did I stop watching Ray films? Maybe this'll start me back up again.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

The War of The Worlds Bought this a few years ago, never got around to it.

Floating Weeds Along the "directors I like and need to see more from" lines, I haven't sen some Ozu in a while.

A Face in the Crowd No reason for not watching this, it's always been near the top of my list of stuff I want to watch but keeps getting pushed down.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Bakery Girl of Monceau is only 20 minutes man, just watch it. It's Rohmer, so it's really good, but being an early film and a short it's a bit rough around the edges.

Ha, oops. I had no idea. I guess I can do that.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Kanal

You get this because it's a great film in general and the second best in Wajda's war-trilogy. Consider adding Man of Marble to your list.

Finally saw The Leopard and I can safely say that it's a bonafide masterpiece. Not only is it one of the most beautiful movies I've seen but it is also expertly acted (in particular Burt Lancaster was awesome) and directed and manages to catch a piece of history so well that it actually felt like I was a spectator right there in that particular place in time. I will watch this again in a short time and read up more on Italian history before I do so. (5/5)

quote:

1. Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, I need to see something by Parajanov and I guess this is the place to start.

2. L'Atalante, supposedly one of the greatest love movies ever made. I've been wanting to find out whether that's true or not but always ended up seeing something else instead.

3. La Strada, I have a similar track record with Fellini as with Tarkovsky and this must change. I'm not sure why I haven't seen La Strada yet. Probably because I don't like circuses.

4. Down By Law, the stuff I've seen by Jim Jarmusch so far has been great and I love Tom Waits, I really can't explain why I haven't seen this.

5. Gertrud, I saw The Passion of Joan of Arc and was awed by who beautiful it was. I guess Dreyers religiousness has put me off so far.

6. Salo, want to see this mainly because Michael Haneke mentions it as one of his favorite films of all time. I haven't seen it yet because I'm pretty sure it will make me feel like poo poo.

7. Last Tango In Paris, will probably be my first Bertolucci. Imagining a bloated Marlon Brando naked isn't a very pleasant thought.

8. Satantango, I saw Werckmeister Harmonies and loved it. Satantangos massive running time of seven hours has made me reluctant to see it so far.

9. L'avventura, I have so far loved everything I've seen by Antonioni, but I was hellishly tired when I tried to see this one for the first time so I shut it off and went to sleep after half an hour and then had to return it the day after. Bummer.

10. The Leopard
Eyes Wide Shut, have been thinking of watching this for ever but have never done so.

Seen: Notorious (5/5), The Manchurian Candidate (4/5), The Man Who Fell To Earth (3/5), Andrei Rublev (5/5), The Leopard (5/5).

MonkeeKong fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 27, 2010

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
MonkeeKong, the only movie I've seen on your list is Eyes Wide Shut, so have at.

Ugetsu was not quite what I was expecting. It was more somber than I thought it would be, and the supernatural aspects of it towards the end caught me a little off guard, but I really enjoyed it. Some of the set pieces were absolutely gorgeous.

New List:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

La Dolce Vita or La Strada Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Jules et Jim I've seen this movie referenced in several movies, but haven't gotten to watching it yet.

The Wild Bunch I may have actually watched this years ago when I was younger, but I can't remember a thing about it.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

tokillthesunflower posted:

Enjoy. I watched it a few months ago and had fun with it.

Witness for the Prosecution - If I was told how it'd end, I would've thought it was stupid. The acting was great and that's what it needed to do the deal at the end.

1. Satya - I know absolutely nothing about this, other than it's Indian.
2. White Heat - I know absolutely nothing about this, even less than I know about Satya.
3. Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925) - I watched the newer Ben-Hur a couple months ago. Now it's time for a much older version.
4. Coraline - I bought this on blu-ray when it came out. I've seen a little bit here and there from when the kids watched it but never sat down with it.
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - No clue about this movie.
6. Pushpak - Once again, I know nothing about this.
(NEW) 7. Walk The Line - Never got excited to see this even though I heard it's good.
8. Hellboy II: The Golden Army - First one was alright. Just never got around to watching this.
9. Juno - I loving hated the trailer for this for the same reasons as everyone else that hated it for. The loving dialog. I debated putting this in my list but it is on some other lists I'm trying to complete :(
10. The Kid - Discovered this Chaplin film in one of my 50 movie packs that I've never touched

Seen: The Wrestler, Witness for the Prosecution

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
chemosh6969, enjoy White Heat.

Breathless was my introduction to New Wave cinema and what an introduction. It's easy to see how groundbreaking it was at the time and also it's influence on a lot of filmmakers today. What a great film. I'm excited to see how the other New Wave films match up.

2) Bullet in the Head- I like early John Woo, this is supposed to be his best
8) Jackie Brown- this slipped through the cracks on me, no excuse

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Blow-Up is loving groovy. Antonioni is just structurally perfect. Every shot is striking. I could watch David Hemmings drive around 60s London for hours. "It's my wife" is one of the most hilariously scummy lines I've ever heard. Vanessa Redgrave is a very terrible dancer.

Mistletoe Donkey, watch Forbidden Planet. Also, some advice: Don't watch The Searchers until you've seen some other John Ford movies. It's an outstanding movie, but a difficult one and a terrible introduction to Ford. Start with Stagecoach or My Darling Clementine. Don't watch The Searchers until at least 3 or 4 other Ford/Wayne films.

New List:

Autumn Sonata Let's do it.

If... I like my Malcolm McDowell

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If.... is one of my all time favorites. Hope you enjoy it, penismightier.

Just finished Rear Window. I feel like my enjoyment was somewhat hampered by the litany of references/parodies I've seen of it before (particularly the Simpsons episode with Bart in the wheelchair), but it was still a helluva fun flick. Jimmy Stewart is great as always, and I love movies like this and Vertigo where he plays a somewhat scummier character (man, he really treats Grace Kelly like poo poo). The overall suspense plot didn't do so much for me for the aforementioned reasons (not Hitch's fault), so it was the little details I loved. I love any movie that uses strictly diagetic music (The Birds did this too, as I recall), and the use of a failed composer living in the same apartment block was really inspired. The little sideplots with the other neighbors were all perfect, and goddamn, the scenes with "Miss Lonelyheart" were among the saddest moments I've ever seen on film. The editing was fantastic, and Jimmy Stewart does a great reaction shot. Grace Kelly was wonderfully charming, and Raymond Burr made a great creep. Not my favorite Hitchcock, but a great movie nonetheless. 9/10.

Here's my revised list:

Serpico: I have this OCD English major thing where I refuse to see movies unless I've read the book first. I finally finished the book about a week ago, and loved it. About time I saw Pacino's star-making turn.

The Thin Man: Similar to the above. I read the book by Hammett about a year ago and loved it. I meant to see the movie immediately after, but never got around to it. My library has it, so I have no excuse.

Memories of Murder: A discussion in the "recommend me" thread reminded me that I need to see this. I love, love, love a good police procedural.

Sisters: Another I saw at the library. To be honest, I feel I may have seen it, but it was years and years ago if I did and I don't remember. Big fan of DePalma's early horror stuff.

The Rules of the Game: I, uh, hear good things.

Thirst: Love Park Chan-Wook, and the thought of him doing a horror movie sounds awesome, but somehow I missed this one completely.

36th Chamber of Shaolin: Another one my roommate has a copy of that I've been meaning to see for like forever, but could never find anywhere.

Faust (1926): I loved Nosferatu, and I loved Goethe's version of the Faust story, so this sounds right up my alley.

Seen: The Manchurian Candidate, Rear Window