Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just started the audiobook for allies at work. They just caught Dion after he went crazy, which sucks cause I was really starting to like him. I'm trying to wade through this ben/vestara love crap, just tell me something awesome happens in this book to offset it.

EDIT: Lobot snype

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Cad Bane is a poo poo character.

But he gets a pass because of his sweet hat.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

They just caught Dion after he went crazy, which sucks cause I was really starting to like him. I'm trying to wade through this ben/vestara love crap, just tell me something awesome happens in this book to offset it.

Uhhhhhhhhhh. I haven't gotten past the third book yet, but Vestara is the sith youngin' that they let go, right?

:psyduck:

Then again I guess Luke married someone who wanted to kill him at first...like father like son? :haw:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Crowetron posted:

But he gets a pass because of his sweet hat.

Exactly! There's a reason that the badass man in the long coat is a cliche.

EDIT: But I still can't help but have a special place in my heart for Ventress, if only because of how she was introduced in the Tartarovsky cartoon. If she were real (and if I had a reasonable guarantee that she wouldn't kill me) I'd go gay for her. :allears:

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 24, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain von Trapp posted:

Although some daytime Cartoon Network shows are pretty demented. That Flapjack show has more than a couple of horrifying moments by kids show standards.

The most recent episode of Adventure Time had the moral that violence is the answer to problems.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Torael_7 posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhh. I haven't gotten past the third book yet, but Vestara is the sith youngin' that they let go, right?

:psyduck:

Then again I guess Luke married someone who wanted to kill him at first...like father like son? :haw:

Yeah. I'm a little preemptive on this, as right now it isn't full blown or anything. I'm just predicting where this seemingly obvious plot line is headed, but without giving away too much to you it could really still go in any direction.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah. I'm a little preemptive on this, as right now it isn't full blown or anything. I'm just predicting where this seemingly obvious plot line is headed, but without giving away too much to you it could really still go in any direction.
It gets a lot more tolerable.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Clemen posted:

I assume most of the characters have a mandalorian ancestor

Palpatine
Mandalorian
Pandalorian
Darth Pandalorius

Diacritical Mark
Jul 26, 2010

http://www.karentraviss.com/html/mando.htm

Holy poo poo. I had no idea she put so much effort into this.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

So I was reading random pedia articles, and at the end of lowbacca's it mentions that Lucas stated there were to be no more wookiee jedi. Any ideas why? Wookiee jedi were like, the coolest notion to me when I was growing up.

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.

Diacritical Mark posted:

In spite of what she claims, it isn't a real language (not the way something like Klingon is).

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Diacritical Mark posted:

http://www.karentraviss.com/html/Movingon.htm

Karen Traviss posted:

The bottom line is that 501st was my last Star Wars novel, period, not just my last Commando book. I pulled out of the book in December 2009 because of disagreements with the publisher over payments and contracts. If you want to read more of my stuff, you'll have to venture beyond the SW wire. Try it. You might be surprised how much you like what else is out there.

Karen Traviss posted:

Please also be aware of one basic fact - all writers for a franchise have to follow official canon. You can't go off and do your own thing, or else the book won't get approved and printed. It's that simple. So please don't keep asking me to carry on in the old canon, because I'm just not allowed to.

So isn't she just outright lying here? Wasn't she kicked off the books because of NOT following canon? Also, if you state that you quit because of money and contract issues, posting 3 months of blog entries bitching about canon doesn't really make me want to believe you.

Also I'd like to take the time to inform Ms. Traviss that I stopped reading LOTF because of her. I got 1/4 way into Betrayal, saw all that Boba Fett family emo poo poo again, and just quit.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bonzo posted:

Also I'd like to take the time to inform Ms. Traviss that I stopped reading LOTF because of her. I got 1/4 way into Betrayal, saw all that Boba Fett family emo poo poo again, and just quit.
You're just another talifan. You should be garroted in your sleep. :smug:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Bonzo posted:

I did the same thing, except I read the whole book, and then stopped. I haven't even moved on and cracked into FotJ yet, and I probably never will. I suppose I could at least give Invincible a chance, but I don't know...

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I did the same thing, except I read the whole book, and then stopped. I haven't even moved on and cracked into FotJ yet, and I probably never will. I suppose I could at least give Invincible a chance, but I don't know...

Last year I started with FotJ because I saw it in the library and I remembered that I had not read an EU book in years. After reading the first book I decided it would be fun to go back and read everything since I kinda new what happened.

I decided to start with NJO and just read the big three of four hard covers of that series. ( I skipped Dark Nest thanks to you guys!)

After struggling through one book and Boba's daughter I just couldn't do it anymore.

I read each book of the EU as it came out in the 90s. I spend all my energy reading the Crystal Star and Black Fleet Crisis. I just can't do it anymore.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It takes a real man to admit that survivng Lando and Lobots Nude Adventure to give up reading what Traviss did.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You're just another talifan. You should be garroted in your sleep. :smug:

Took me a minute to remember that's what she calls the people that disagree with her. Too much time reading the Mass Effect 2 thread made me think "What's that got to do with Tali?"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The best way to watch Episode I is drunk (or stoned, for you :420: people). Also, set the language to Spanish.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Epi Lepi posted:

Took me a minute to remember that's what she calls the people that disagree with her. Too much time reading the Mass Effect 2 thread made me think "What's that got to do with Tali?"

Same here but in reverse for me

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Pope Mobile posted:

The best way to watch Episode I is drunk (or stoned, for you :420: people). Also, set the language to Spanish.

I watched Revenge of the Sith in French (I don't speak a word of French). It absolutely improved the movie.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Who was the comedian with the horny French Yoda bit?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Diacritical Mark posted:

That led me to this:

http://www.karentraviss.com/html/jedi.htm

Where she outright says that if you like Jedi then you are guilty of:

Crazy Lady posted:

It's slave-owner-think: it's Nazi-think. And yes, I bloody well hate it.

It's not about Jedi - who don't even exist. It's about you.

So yes, if you like Jedi then you have the same thought processes as slaveowners and Nazis and Karen Traviss hates you personally.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Hey, I'm glad this thread is still page one as I have Geeky questions that need answering.

Now, this may have cropped up already but I was wondering. Who is Anakin's father?

I know in episode one Shmi (such a terrible, terrible name) claims that he has no father but we all know that's bullshit, classic single mother regret.

Some quick googling hasn't really provided any solid leads but there was some interesting speculation about Darth Plaugus organizing the whole thing. Has there been any hints in the EU?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Chairman Capone posted:

That led me to this:

http://www.karentraviss.com/html/jedi.htm

Where she outright says that if you like Jedi then you are guilty of:

So yes, if you like Jedi then you have the same thought processes as slaveowners and Nazis and Karen Traviss hates you personally.

Why the gently caress did they even hire her to write for them in the first place?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nucleic Acids posted:

Why the gently caress did they even hire her to write for them in the first place?

They saw JK Rowling and thought middle aged middle class British women could write big hits.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I guess it's all part of her being proud of not paying attention to what anyone else wrote, but wasn't it established that the Jedi were some of the only ones who viewed clones as something more than droids made out of meat?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Bonzo posted:

Last year I started with FotJ because I saw it in the library and I remembered that I had not read an EU book in years. After reading the first book I decided it would be fun to go back and read everything since I kinda new what happened.

I decided to start with NJO and just read the big three of four hard covers of that series. ( I skipped Dark Nest thanks to you guys!)

After struggling through one book and Boba's daughter I just couldn't do it anymore.

I read each book of the EU as it came out in the 90s. I spend all my energy reading the Crystal Star and Black Fleet Crisis. I just can't do it anymore.

I'm almost done with allies, and was considering the same thing. The Vong war really interests me, but isn't it a lot of books for that series? Although I did see a volume one to what looks like a comic adaptation of the series.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

You guys aren't gonna like this:

http://www.starwars.com/fans/events/startours_droids/index.html

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Setting between episodes 3 and 4 is the most original thing ever, just like everything else that's come out in the last 5 years. I don't see why they can't at least keep the old show as an alternate destination.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What I fear the most is that we won't have a physical PeeWee-Bot anymore.
I say this as it is my greatest fear in life.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The one on the right is gayer than C-3PO, which I would have thought impossible.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

that awful man posted:

The one on the right is gayer than C-3PO, which I would have thought impossible.

It's the Dex's Diner waitress droid from AotC, don't recognize the other one from anything though

DrWorm
Apr 22, 2003

They call me Dr. Worm. Good morning. How are you? I’m Dr. Worm.

Silver Brushes posted:

It's the Dex's Diner waitress droid from AotC, don't recognize the other one from anything though

The one on the left is an update of the droid pilot from the original Star Tours, RX-24. He didn't have legs though.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Oh man

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCTfMlAMn5M

"This is Jedi Mind Trick, it's a brand new Force power, and just like all of our other Force powers, we've completely re-envisioned it from the films...

... and on higher levels, they'll (mind tricked enemies) actually explode, they'll turn into like roaming smart bombs and they'll run into packs and explode"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Minorkos posted:

Oh man

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCTfMlAMn5M

"This is Jedi Mind Trick, it's a brand new Force power, and just like all of our other Force powers, we've completely re-envisioned it from the films...

... and on higher levels, they'll (mind tricked enemies) actually explode, they'll turn into like roaming smart bombs and they'll run into packs and explode"

And you guys thought TFU2 was gonna suck :smug:

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Minorkos posted:

I saw the video of Starkiller fighting Luke on Hoth. He actually throws him into a passing speeder, and he bounces off and hits the ground. And he throws Obi Wan into the Millenium Falcon's engines? Awesome. I don't know why you'd complain about a game that lets you be a total dick with the force...

...and then I read this.

Noi Albinoi
Nov 4, 2008
So, Hans vs Greedo.

For some reason I remembered the debate over who shot first. I watched the scene and Greedo shot first. He managed to miss with his lovely aim at close range and then Hans spanked him good like the filthy whore he is.

How the gently caress is there a debate? Unless you're blind, it's simple. What's the general consensus on this?

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

Noi Albinoi posted:

So, Hans vs Greedo.

For some reason I remembered the debate over who shot first. I watched the scene and Greedo shot first. He managed to miss with his lovely aim at close range and then Hans spanked him good like the filthy whore he is.

How the gently caress is there a debate? Unless you're blind, it's simple. What's the general consensus on this?

Greedo never shot in the original.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1YbFnkZwZk
I think it somehow works better without the subtitles

Raccoon Leaf fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 26, 2010

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Noi Albinoi posted:

So, Hans vs Greedo.

Assuming you're actually serious they changed it with the special editions that came out in the late 90s.

The reason people hate it is because when Han shot first it said something about the character. It showed that he was a ruthless smuggler that did whatever he felt was necessary to survive. When they made it so Greedo shot first it turns Han into a regular good guy that was just defending himself. Besides, the whole set up before the shots were fired shows you that Han intends to shoot Greedo. It's just stupid that Greedo's all "PEW!!!! OH poo poo I MISSED!!!" and then gets blasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
How could you miss at that range? They were probably close enough to touch.