Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Chugging along, going to bed now. Stupid dome was hard to make a cockpit out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadcell27
May 11, 2007

Quick, before he comes back!

The Rage posted:

So is the Venator-class cruiser worth it for the price? It looks incredible.

I'd say so, but I already own it. It's awesome looking, and there are some neat features inside. I have it sitting on my desk, and it still looks fantastic whenever I look at it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Honestly, Bricklink prices arn't horrible. The thing I noticed was people trying to sell the Spartan as just a fig for $5-6, but you can get it with all the accessories for $2.50-3 :iiam:

I noticed that, it's baffling. And everything else looks to be almost exactly retail price, maybe with 50 cents added tops aside from the Spartan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

InfinEight posted:

Chugging along, going to bed now. Stupid dome was hard to make a cockpit out of.

Reminds me of the Outlaw Star. It has arms that pop out, which the front bits look kinda like. But mostly I posted this just so I could post the third image down,

BAT GRAPPLER :black101:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

The Rage posted:

So is the Venator-class cruiser worth it for the price? It looks incredible.

I have both this and the larger-size Star Destroyer, and I'd give them the same review: How do you feel about Technic pieces? Do you want to build using technic pieces and only technic piece for hours and hours? Do you secretly loathe actual lego bricks, and yearn to never actually touch one ever again? These might be the sets for you!

Mr. Kamikaze
Jul 30, 2005

This turtle doesn't stop spinning.

Captain Invictus posted:

I noticed that, it's baffling. And everything else looks to be almost exactly retail price, maybe with 50 cents added tops aside from the Spartan.

I just looked and the cheapest spartan in the USA that isn't part of a super lot will run you $5-6 with all accessories.

It used to be $8-10.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Mr. Kamikaze posted:

I just looked and the cheapest spartan in the USA that isn't part of a super lot will run you $5-6 with all accessories.

It used to be $8-10.

All minifigs at my local Walmart 1.97. They had a full stock so I went hog wild.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I was chattin' with someone in the thread last night when I remembered I have these old, terrible photos. Well, the MOC's been done for months now, so might as well put SOMETHING up. I'll try to re-shoot this tomorrow. A lot of these photos got absolutely blasted by sunlight because I decided to shoot them right around sundown. :downs:

"How the hell do we both have a full house, kings over aces? Again?!"

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
^^ That is loving awesome. The little details like the piano and foot rest for the bar really make it fantastic. Truth be told, I actually like the way the pictures are taken, with that little sepia color added to it. Keep up the great work!

Mr. Kamikaze
Jul 30, 2005

This turtle doesn't stop spinning.

Evek posted:

All minifigs at my local Walmart 1.97. They had a full stock so I went hog wild.

I meant on bricklink.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
Wow that Saloon is incredible, I never made anything that detailed. You even gave them perfect reaction faces. Is the lettering on the front made of bricks or something else? And yeah, the lighting looks loving great.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Forum Actuary posted:

Wow that Saloon is incredible, I never made anything that detailed. You even gave them perfect reaction faces. Is the lettering on the front made of bricks or something else? And yeah, the lighting looks loving great.
The lettering is all bricks. There's a tiny bit of color variation in the brown because the 1 x 1 plate with headlight clip only exists in regular brown, and everything else is reddish brown:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=10567&colorID=8

Also look how rare those fuckers are. I tracked down 15 of them for this project. There's only one seller (remaining) who has a decent stock of them and he wants $2.35 each for those. Other annoying poo poo to find: 4 brown 1 x 4 x 3 windows, 8 black panes, the red crate (that piece costs 11 dollars iirc), and a lot of those little dark green pieces.

edit:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=356&colorID=5
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=733&colorID=8
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=734&colorID=11

gently caress all of those. Red crates were only ever in 1 set, black panes were in 2 sets, and brown windows were in 2 sets. drat my love of rare pieces.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 25, 2010

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

Saloon
God drat, that's pretty.

In other news, I finally finished this design:

and the rest

30,000 pieces, I'm never doing anything that big again. The big poo poo sure is fun to look at, but, gently caress me, just designing it was an ordeal, I can't imagine the pain of actually building something that size.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what's the ldd price tag come to on that?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Your firstborn grows up Danish.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Phy posted:

Your firstborn grows up Danish.

Pfft. Da Dutch.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

hahaha, i was going to let it run overnight just to see, but using the buyability tool on that model causes an exception in OpenGL and the program crashes. I just found out that LDD has a safe mode that is so hosed up, I can't even create a new model.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

I was chattin' with someone in the thread last night when I remembered I have these old, terrible photos. Well, the MOC's been done for months now, so might as well put SOMETHING up. I'll try to re-shoot this tomorrow. A lot of these photos got absolutely blasted by sunlight because I decided to shoot them right around sundown. :downs:

"How the hell do we both have a full house, kings over aces? Again?!"

afflictionwisp posted:

God drat, that's pretty.

and the rest

30,000 pieces, I'm never doing anything that big again. The big poo poo sure is fun to look at, but, gently caress me, just designing it was an ordeal, I can't imagine the pain of actually building something that size.
These are both awesome, and echoing that the lighting on the saloon is great, it looks really nice. afflictionwisp, does that bad boy have an interior, or are you sick of working on it?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

afflictionwisp posted:

God drat, that's pretty.

What did you use to render that? Last I checked, LDD doesn't show individual bricks as well as in those screenshots.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Carbohydrates posted:

I love the letters on these signs, they make me think of the old old versions of Police Quest and Leisure Suit Larry.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

3 posted:

THOR IS HYEAH

:neckbeard: do the siege tank next!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

I made my first Vic Viper!

Oh god I'm not good at Vic Vipers help--

Captain Invictus posted:

Reminds me of the Outlaw Star.

It might not be a surprise, but I've often thought about how to make a mini-fig sized Outlaw Star. I don't have enough red though, haha. Anyway, you guessed the arms part right, hopefully the rest wasn't too obvious. I might fiddle with it more, but surprisingly, I feel like its already done.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well you like never make things that aren't spaceships, robots, or robot spaceships, so it wasn't a far stretch to think you were making a Grappler Ship.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

InfinEight posted:

afflictionwisp, does that bad boy have an interior, or are you sick of working on it?

I had considered doing the interior, but it is never shown in the show, and I had enough trouble conceptualizing something this big without worrying about that, so no interior. Also, I'm sick of working on it.

3 posted:

What did you use to render that? Last I checked, LDD doesn't show individual bricks as well as in those screenshots.

LDview. Theres this .XML file that makes LDD a little more capable of exporting parts. It has its own problems with alignment on some pieces, and some of the file names are wrong, but there's enough there to fix certain pieces if you want to edit the original file by hand.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
^^^^
Awesome, I'm pretty sick of the LDD renderer at this point.

lDDQD posted:

:neckbeard: do the siege tank next!

Not mine, unfortunately :geno:
(I've been cranking out designs for a Viking, though. When I get enough spare time I'm going to try to hammer it out in LDD)

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

3 posted:

(I've been cranking out designs for a Viking, though. When I get enough spare time I'm going to try to hammer it out in LDD)

I've personally been fixing to build a Banshee. Which is why i was asking about how to make giant rings.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
You should probably take a gander at this then:

Should give you a few good ideas and jumping-off points.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Well you like never make things that aren't spaceships, robots, or robot spaceships, so it wasn't a far stretch to think you were making a Grappler Ship.

What can I say? Gotta stick with what I like :roboluv:

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

3 posted:

You should probably take a gander at this then:

Should give you a few good ideas and jumping-off points.

that's pretty good, but i was thinking at least 3x as big. it's a consequence of liking Technic, i'm sure, everything ends up being huge.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I'm almost reluctant to post this. This is the sort of thing that led to the thread title change debacle last time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerac/4949103951/

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That Land Speeder is amazing!

Probably costs about the same though.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:
That's actually really neat, what are their helmets? Stormtrooper helmets?

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
Lord I must have those 40k marines. I have wanted to make a Dreadnought for some time now too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Crane posted:

That's actually really neat, what are their helmets? Stormtrooper helmets?

Looks to be yeah, painted red and black. I see lots of custom decals too, can't tell if the Assault Cannon on the Landspeeder is Lego or not though, seems too small and intricate to be Lego.

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Lord I must have those 40k marines. I have wanted to make a Dreadnought for some time now too.

People have been making'em for a while now.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 27, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Captain Invictus posted:

Looks to be yeah, painted red and black. I see lots of custom decals too, can't tell if the Assault Cannon on the Landspeeder is Lego or not though, seems too small and intricate to be Lego.
Looks like bars or flex tubing wedged into a rubber tire. I think it's all LEGO there.

e: Yeah it's 6 bar pieces wedged into a tire on the back, rubber band around the front, and the bottom support beam is made of a bar, two minifig hands, and some rubber tubing.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

I've been wanting-- needing a good lightbox for a looong time, and I found this recently: http://www.indieicing.com/blog/2009/11/14/part-5-selling-handmade-online-lets-build-a-large-lightbox.html
It inspired me to do the same... except I may have gone overboard :siren:

Of course it's not quite there yet. Some lighter, thinner fabric would probably diffuse the light more while letting more in. Maybe nylon, or fleece like that guide suggests? Also, after some experimental pictures:

(This is why the lightbox is so big; Infinity is over 3 feet long!)

I can see that a smooth backdrop would be a lot better, like paper. The problem is finding 4-foot wide strips of paper and fabric. I'll check out a few craft stores like Michael's tomorrow. I also need clamps to hold the fabric, and the side lights really need to be mounted above and on the outside of the fabric. Still, I'm pretty excited :dance: Total cost so far is ~$43.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

You could try ironing the sheets? Either that or find a big roll of butchers paper or similar.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Professional light-boxes are usually made out of paper.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

InfinEight posted:

I've been wanting-- needing a good lightbox for a looong time,

I bought a massive window shade from Home Depot a long time ago to serve as a projection screen. I never used it for that, but lately I've been using it to take Lego photos with some decent results. Ideally, you should be replacing the background in Photoshop anyway, so a smooth backdrop will only make that easier, but probably shouldn't be seen as an end unto itself. (I'm not trying to be overcritical. I haven't bothered with the background replacement yet myself) At any rate, the shade cost me something like $20, and it's about 6'x5', so I think it should serve your needs as well.

As for photo technique, this interview on Brothers Brick lays out some pretty useful ideas:

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2010/03/10/more-to-the-brick-than-meets-the-eye-an-interview-with-fredo-houben/#more-14083

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

That's a great link, and I will most likely end up with paper for the background just because its the easiest to keep smooth. I've managed to get decent pictures with just a roll of white paper and regular overhead lights w/o diffusion:

But there would always be shadows and the light would never seem to be the same from one set to the next. What I'm really looking for is consistency so I can minimize the editing I have to do in Photoshop. I will definitely look into some different colors though, since I'll be out looking for backgrounds anyway.