Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Just test rode a 2000 Duke II from a private sale. HOOOOOLLY poo poo. THE BRAKES. THE SUSPENSION. Unlike anything I have ridden before. Fuuuuuuuuuuck. Must buy, but the guy wants an unreasonable amount of money...$4,000 for a 2000 Duke II with 15k on the clock. Granted, it's in perfect condition with new tires, chain, sprockets, and pads, but still. I know they aren't as "supermoto" as some of the bikes but drat if it isn't a hoot on the street.

And goddamn those brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Just test rode a 2000 Duke II from a private sale. HOOOOOLLY poo poo. THE BRAKES. THE SUSPENSION. Unlike anything I have ridden before. Fuuuuuuuuuuck. Must buy, but the guy wants an unreasonable amount of money...$4,000 for a 2000 Duke II with 15k on the clock. Granted, it's in perfect condition with new tires, chain, sprockets, and pads, but still. I know they aren't as "supermoto" as some of the bikes but drat if it isn't a hoot on the street.

Now, let it soak in that by modern Duke/SM standards, those brakes are middle weight. First time I pulled the lever on my 690 I almost endoed. Felt like I got punched in the chest by god.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I can't see how you could possibly want or need more braking power. I was touching that thing with one finger, barely, and it GRIPPED. As far as I could see, it was the stock setup, Brembo with SS brake lines. Of course, I'm used to lovely brakes like on 80's UJMs and my CBR F2.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

That is way too much. My friend just bought his 02 with 11k for 3750$ with a brand new set of tires on it, in perfection condition, etc. etc. etc, plus a bunch of other odds and ends...and I think he overpaid.

Still, the vibes, jesus.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Brakes are one of those things that it's hard to have too much on hand. Once you have floating monobloc's with 4 pads, SS lines and a top shelf master cylinder it's hard to go back to squishy brakes. The bigger brakes on my 690 SMC play an important role when it comes to heavy heavy track abuse, a full day of max braking without any brake fade is a beautiful thing but for the most part its overkill. Just enjoy the one finger rolling stoppies with a smile.

It keeps getting worse too because the brakes on my Streetfighter make my KTM feel lackluster, mostly due to the geometry of the SF vs the supermoto.

Embrace the crazy, is my best advise.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man I haven't road my sumo in like 2-3 weeks (because of work) and I'm pissed. I'll be getting stationed in Lemoore here soon. Should be lots of dirt biking to be had. I'm thinking of getting a proper dirt bike because dumping my $5,000 bike hurts. I'll also be an hour from Sequoia and about 2 or so from Yosemite. So I think I might be taking a lot of weekend trips on my sumo just riding around the mountains, doing some small trail riding, and hiking by myself (unless I can find someone with a motorcycle that wants to go there :P)

Not 100% sure about the dirt bike. We'll see in a couple of months.

At any rate! Saw this in another thread and felt it was worth posting.

quote:

So the concensus is.....
She's a spoked 690SM
Rear bolted subframe unbolted and removed
Underseat airbox removed and a K&N filter fit
Fiberglass flat track solo seat laying on....?
Front light fairing/snout replaced with round headlamp.
Bar swap.
Custom coushion on tank where it meets seat (which would make for a great tank bag location)
2 into 1 supertrap exhaust
Skid plate
Plate relocated to rear sprocket

I'm assuming the rear sub frame was removed because of the high angle of the stock form, where as this one sits much lower and flatter than stock seat setup. So ya think he built a new subframe?

Link - http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?83889-07-690-SM-any-downsides&p=1146705&posted=1#post1146705

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Wow, that's a great way to absolutely destroy many of the advantages that a sumo has. And with the seat that much lower, now those bars are basically ape hangers. :sigh:

I can appreciate that you were trying to make a flattracker, but would it kill you to not have it assembled by retards?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 25, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Oh man, I finally got around to loving with my suspension settings last night. I don't know who set them up (or if the shop the guy bought it from ever even touched them from the crate) but JESUS CHRIST they were all over the goddamn place. Best example was the forks...

Rebound was 22 out on the left and 14 out on the right, compression 14 left and 20 right.

:wtf::pwn::wtf:

Also finally got my sag set in the rear. Holy poo poo what a pain in the rear end to get at the shock preload. Basically the only way to do it without completely removing the shock is to get the rear wheel hanging free and go after the adjuster with a bigass punch and hammer. Preload was waaaaaaaaaay too low, the adjusters were basically all the way out... It had like 2" of STATIC sag! Thankfully I am not a lardass so my race sag wasn't horribly horribly out of line. Got static sag set ~17mm and ended up with 75mm race sag. Should help with front end feel and grip.

I ended setting comp/rebound it at what I thought was a reasonable level for road race type stuff and tried to get the front and rear of the bike balanced. Ended up with rebound 12 out and compression damping at 10 out in the front. The shock has numbered dials, can't remember rebound off the top of my head (4 out, I think position 7?) and comp at 6. I can't wait to ride it to see how it feels now that the fork settings aren't SUPER hosed UP and the sag is good front and rear.

Anyone else with a 625 or WP suspension on a mostly road going sumo have thoughts on my settings? Going to do the whole ziptie on the fork tube thing tomorrow at teh track, see how things are going.

Edit:

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

That's waaaaaaaaaaay too much. Granted, I feel like I got one hell of a deal but I got my 2006 625SMC with 3200 (3100? can't remember) miles on it for the same price. Honestly I wouldn't mind riding a duke at all. You're not going to have the suspension travel obviously but if you're not going to be bashing up and down stairs or doing serious offroad (which the SMC isn't great at either because it's freakin heavy for a dirtbike) a Duke would make a great streetbike. I'd say 2700-3000 TOPS would be a reasonable price for that bike but maybe I'm out of line.

needknees fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 25, 2010

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I know nothing about your bike, or motorcycle suspension in general, but many mountain bike forks will have high speed rebound and compression in one leg and low speed in the other. If this is the case with your bike, those wildly differing adjustments may have been correct as each leg is trying to do something different. If not, disregard.

On a different note, I took the msf course last weekend and passed, and am planning on getting a supermoto as a first bike. At first I was looking at DRZs, but there are very few for sale in the area (Portland). I started looking at WR250Xs, which are all over craigslist, and they look like a pretty decent alternative to the DRZ. I understand they wont have the after market, but with FI and some parts commonality to Yamaha's dirt bike line I'm not to concerned. Any thing I'm missing that make this a less attractive first bike than a DRZ?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

henne posted:

I know nothing about your bike, or motorcycle suspension in general, but many mountain bike forks will have high speed rebound and compression in one leg and low speed in the other. If this is the case with your bike, those wildly differing adjustments may have been correct as each leg is trying to do something different. If not, disregard.

On a different note, I took the msf course last weekend and passed, and am planning on getting a supermoto as a first bike. At first I was looking at DRZs, but there are very few for sale in the area (Portland). I started looking at WR250Xs, which are all over craigslist, and they look like a pretty decent alternative to the DRZ. I understand they wont have the after market, but with FI and some parts commonality to Yamaha's dirt bike line I'm not to concerned. Any thing I'm missing that make this a less attractive first bike than a DRZ?

Not really. WR250X is an excellent first sumo and first bike, as long as you can stomach the high initial cost and the higher hit on depreciation the longer you keep it. If you think you'll be happy with the stock power, and aren't much of a tinkerer, and just want to ride the hell out of the drat thing, then it's a good choice. Everyone I know with one has enjoyed the hell out of theirs. Good bikes, just short on aftermarket and a bit pricey at the moment, both things which will change with time. :)

His sumo has complete valving in both forks, although some bikes do have the setup that you're talking about.

Edit: In before spiff recommends a 690.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Yeah the settings are supposed to be the same in each leg. They were just that far out of whack. unreal

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah I offered to give the guy $3000 for the Duke. It had a pretty high seat height, even at the "low" setting of the rear shock, and it felt like it ate up rough roads way better than a sportbike. I can understand the downsides of them being vibey, having a couple inches less suspension travel, etc, but it still seems like a fun machine for me. I don't plan on any dirt riding on my future sumo - just street and track.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Its awesome for that sort of riding :)

Huh. weird.
May 5, 2009
DRZ SM FOR LIFE!

Well not life it's for sale but I'll own another after I move.

[img]

434 kit, carb/Yosh full system, some other upgrades. Great city bike. Anyone ever ride a DRZ with a big bore and then try a KTM690? My only gripe with this bike is the close ratio gearbox. The KTM 6 speed is looking mighty appealing.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Z man himself will be back shortly with an 8 page comparison of the two.

(There's a few of them in the last few pages I think)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Huh. weird. posted:

Anyone ever ride a DRZ with a big bore and then try a KTM690?

Yes.

The BB DRZ is down on power, has a less responsive engine, lower spec suspension. Honestly, it's just not as good of a bike. But the KTM is also way more expensive, and is much more aggressively setup, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. I like my DRZ because I can easily ride it at any pace and it still performs well, the KTM only really works when you are hard on it all the time. A BB DRZ is all about bang for your buck, a KTM690 is all about how crazy supermotos can get.

You can check out this thread for more KTM690 thoughts and hijinks:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3332731

Huh. weird.
May 5, 2009
Yeah, the KTM seems like the tighter package. I also eyed that Aprilla SXV550 for a split second, but from what I've read it's a touch explodey. I may well keep the DRZ and put dirt wheels on it. Can't beat the versatility. Still, I need a bigger bike to tour on. These wild singles vibrate my poor sensitive hands too much on long rides.

I also need some stickier tires. It feels half assed having these Pirelli gravel road jobs on here. The bike slides easy but my stoppies are a bit tricky. Anyone try those dual compound jobs with the hard rubber down the center and the sticky stuff on the sides?

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

Z3n posted:

Not really. WR250X is an excellent first sumo and first bike, as long as you can stomach the high initial cost and the higher hit on depreciation the longer you keep it. If you think you'll be happy with the stock power, and aren't much of a tinkerer, and just want to ride the hell out of the drat thing, then it's a good choice. Everyone I know with one has enjoyed the hell out of theirs. Good bikes, just short on aftermarket and a bit pricey at the moment, both things which will change with time. :)

His sumo has complete valving in both forks, although some bikes do have the setup that you're talking about.

Edit: In before spiff recommends a 690.

Thanks for the info. WRs are a bit cheaper on craigslist here than DRZs which is weird, but both are starting to disappear which sucks as I wont have the money to get one for a few months. Not too concerned about the lack of aftermarket as I plan on riding it into the ground for six months to a year and then getting a KTM or Husky.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Huh. weird. posted:

Yeah, the KTM seems like the tighter package. I also eyed that Aprilla SXV550 for a split second, but from what I've read it's a touch explodey. I may well keep the DRZ and put dirt wheels on it. Can't beat the versatility. Still, I need a bigger bike to tour on. These wild singles vibrate my poor sensitive hands too much on long rides.

I also need some stickier tires. It feels half assed having these Pirelli gravel road jobs on here. The bike slides easy but my stoppies are a bit tricky. Anyone try those dual compound jobs with the hard rubber down the center and the sticky stuff on the sides?

Swap on a set of fatbars, and some thicker gel grips. The DRZ with the bore kit is about the same as the KTMs in terms of vibes, stock, it's smoother.

The SXV is not only fairly explody, it's also really maintenance intensive. It seems like they've fixed most of the issues with it, but unless I was racing or big tracking one, I'd probably pass just due to the cost of ownership.

I like running track takeoffs on my DRZ. Diablo Supercorsas can be had for cheap all day long, the pirelli 160 is a narrow 160, and fits on the rear (although you'll never erase the chicken strips), and they last pretty well (usually 3-4k, mix of upright commuting and twisties).

henne posted:

Thanks for the info. WRs are a bit cheaper on craigslist here than DRZs which is weird, but both are starting to disappear which sucks as I wont have the money to get one for a few months. Not too concerned about the lack of aftermarket as I plan on riding it into the ground for six months to a year and then getting a KTM or Husky.

Seems like a good option then. Try and get one dirt cheap, lowball people with cash, and then you can probably sell it for what you paid for it down the road, especially if you buy soon, ride all winter, and sell it towards the end of next summer.

RyanIAm
Jul 27, 2004

LOLCAT
I've fallen in love with my DRZ again, just in time for Summer here in Sydney... What can I use on the plastics to really give them a good freshen up and get rid of scuffs and hazing? Black is a pain...

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

RyanIAm posted:

I've fallen in love with my DRZ again, just in time for Summer here in Sydney... What can I use on the plastics to really give them a good freshen up and get rid of scuffs and hazing? Black is a pain...

You may want to try it on a not-so-visible spot first, but my friend freshens up his old plastics by running a 'low temp' torch on them. I suppose it melts the very surface a small bit, enough to soften out any scratches.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

RyanIAm posted:

I've found the best way to clean a supermoto is to crash it in some wet grass.

If you are buffing and cleaning your DRZ you are absolutely doing it wrong. Go find a big mud hole immediately and stop fussing.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

how good of a deal is this?
http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-2005-Suzuki-DR-Z-400-SM-W0QQAdIdZ233014929

keep in mind that bikes are not cheap around here (seriously, look at some of the others.) and theres never any sumos for sale.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ignoring that price, because... jesus...

It looks to be a good example of a DRZ. That MRD pipe is the poo poo for performance, but is loud Loud LOUD. All that DRZ is missing to make it a top performer is a new carb to go with that air mod and pipe.

Bike looks like a better than average DRZ but that price is god drat laughable. I'll buy a DRZ for you for $3,000 less and you can drive it home for christ sakes.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Spiffness posted:

It looks to be a good example of a DRZ. That MRD pipe is the poo poo for performance, but is loud Loud LOUD. All that DRZ is missing to make it a top performer is a new carb to go with that air mod and pipe.

Bike looks like a better than average DRZ but that price is god drat laughable. I'll buy a DRZ for you for $3,000 less and you can drive it home for christ sakes.

Mind telling me where you can find a DRZ400SM for $3,000 less than $4,800? Because I would love to know...

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Mind telling me where you can find a DRZ400SM for $3,000 less than $4,800? Because I would love to know...

Dreams and fairy tales. $2000 would have been a better exaggeration. Most go for about $3,000-3,500, with the occasional $2,500 one, and people trying to get 4k who wont.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I would have sold mine for 2k. It wasn't as bling but still :(

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

Spiffness posted:

Seriously all the bikes around here are that expensive. The last drz I saw on kijiji had a lot of Kms and they wanted like $6500.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Clank posted:

how good of a deal is this?
http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-2005-Suzuki-DR-Z-400-SM-W0QQAdIdZ233014929

keep in mind that bikes are not cheap around here (seriously, look at some of the others.) and theres never any sumos for sale.

Fly down to Tennessee and I'll sell you mine for 3500. Sure by the time you ride it all the way home it will have vibrated apart but thats half the fun.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Why the hell are drzs so expensive? I mean I know the market is small for sumos so there's that. But you'd expect an Austrian made bike to be so much more expensive. KTM fo life :v:

So all the other sumos are made by really expensive companies, eh? A la Ducati

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Clank posted:

Seriously all the bikes around here are that expensive. The last drz I saw on kijiji had a lot of Kms and they wanted like $6500.

It is a Canadian import tax deal. Even if you buy used you'll still have to cover whatever that charge is. Here is a bit of info from a friend (in the context of being asked to buy in the US and register in Canada)

Willfrey's Canadian Contact posted:

No, doing it your way will not avoid any fees or anything. It will make your process harder though. The only step you would get to skip is sending U.S. customs a copy of the title 72 hours ahead of border crossing. You also get your r.i.v. forms at Canada customs. I am sure you would be able to get them after but it wouldn't be as easy and most likely frowned upon. One thing when importing things, do it right because if customs isn't feeling your style they will make your life miserable seizing your bike indefinitly etc.

Rent/borrow a truck, get your ducks in a row and cruise down and grab the bike. Make sure you stop at steak 'n shake for a burger and you have the makings of a great day. Good luck.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It was the same here, couldn't find one for less than $3.5 grand, and those were thoroughly thrashed. Well, there was one posted on CL for $2500 but that was sold by the time I called, literally 20 minutes after the ad was posted. Good condition bikes are almost always over 4k. I ended up buying an S model for $1800 and I'm going to convert it to SM as soon as I can find some good used wheels.

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

i just bought an 06 drz today! it came with 3x3, k&n filter, jd jet kit, and a full yoshi offroad exhaust. its been religiously maintained and has all records and i paid 3k. the seller was awesome. This is my first bike and i took backroads for the 50 mile trip home, it was amazing!

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I know its a horribly idea but there is a husky 450 on craigslist right now for 3800, which is only a bit more than the only DRZ I've seen on there recently. I know its a horrible first bike but goddamn its tempting. I was planning on getting a husky 510 as a second bike which is making this even worse.

On a saner note, this is on craigslist right now. I know info is short in the ad but does it look like a decent bike at a decent price?

henne fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 30, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

henne posted:

I know its a horribly idea but there is a husky 450 on craigslist right now for 3800, which is only a bit more than the only DRZ I've seen on there recently. I know its a horrible first bike but goddamn its tempting. I was planning on getting a husky 510 as a second bike which is making this even worse.

On a saner note, this is on craigslist right now. I know info is short in the add but does it look like a decent bike at a decent price?

Do it.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
this is the ad for the husky

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/1974882966.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Christoff posted:

Why the hell are drzs so expensive? I mean I know the market is small for sumos so there's that. But you'd expect an Austrian made bike to be so much more expensive. KTM fo life :v:

So all the other sumos are made by really expensive companies, eh? A la Ducati

They're dead-on reliable, and they're good at everything (but not really great or bad at anything in particular). They're everywhere (compared to all other sumo models), they're insanely modifiable, the aftermarket is huge, and, well, the looks :allears:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Suzuki DRZ-400SM is the best supermoto bang for your buck.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

henne posted:

On a saner note, this is on craigslist right now. I know info is short in the ad but does it look like a decent bike at a decent price?

That's a girl bike.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I would not trust the mechanical aptitude or responsibility of an owner who wears a bathing suit while riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

It's okay, that bikini top has kevlar reinforced inserts.

• Locked thread