Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

bull3964 posted:

I would just start with the brakes though, are you sure you don't just have a worn down pad causing intermittent contact with the pad indicators?

They're drums. I don't know shits about drum brakes. Nor do I want to try breaking them open since it's all a rusty mess.

Bonus! Got my torque wrench to about 150 ft-lb trying to loosen the lug nuts before the 1/2" to 3/8" adapter sheared! Yahoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Dave Inc. posted:

They're drums. I don't know shits about drum brakes. Nor do I want to try breaking them open since it's all a rusty mess.

Bonus! Got my torque wrench to about 150 ft-lb trying to loosen the lug nuts before the 1/2" to 3/8" adapter sheared! Yahoo!

that's a pretty good way to gently caress up a torque wrench. Get a 1/2" breaker bar and a 1/2" socket.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

jamal posted:

that's a pretty good way to gently caress up a torque wrench. Get a 1/2" breaker bar and a 1/2" socket.

It is, but it's a cheap deflection beam wrench I just use for wheels; besides, it's marked for 140 lb-ft and the rest of the lugs were <100. And that thing about the 100 paces from the car to my tools? Yeah...guess where the breaker bar was.

God drat I need a garage.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Dave Inc. posted:

It is, but it's a cheap deflection beam wrench I just use for wheels; besides, it's marked for 140 lb-ft and the rest of the lugs were <100. And that thing about the 100 paces from the car to my tools? Yeah...guess where the breaker bar was.

God drat I need a garage.

I once bought a cheap double socketed torque wrench from Autozone. Rotated my tires, sheared both ends off in the process, but finished. I went back to Autozone and returned the damaged wrench that same day. They offered me a replacement, store credit or a full refund. I took the refund and left.

Morale of the story: I can't believe they let me do that. Free wrench!

Actually that local one is pretty cool. I once got some brake cleaner on the house, and another time they loaned me their battery terminal cleaner (the wire brush thing) as long as I returned it, which I did.

Alas now I actually buy tools and take care of them because I care more about my car then just getting it to run.

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop

Dave Inc. posted:

I know this has more than likely been covered a billion times, but I'm having a "why can't I figure this out" problem with the '99 Impreza L I got just recently.

I'm getting a "whiskk...whiskk...whiskk..whisk..whiswhiswhiswhis" sound from the rear, like a wheel bearing on the way out. Thing is though both rear wheels don't wiggle around when I give 'em the old grab and yank wheel bearing test--both solid. So now I'm thinking halfshafts, but all the boots look good and there's no play in the shafts.

I'm a little bit irked, but figure I may as well start by replacing the bearings. Is it a pain in the rear end with this car or is it pretty easy? Mind you, where I'm living now it's about 100 paces between my tools and the parking lot, so working on the car is a huge pain in the rear end, so if it's difficult I may just take it to a shop.

Bonus info: Car has rear drum brakes! :argh:

This may or may not have anything to do with your issue, but I've got a '99 Outback Sport that did the same thing at about 130k miles - drums on the rear too. Turns out something in the brake assembly was slowly giving out, and one day I tried to go to work and it had completely frozen up. I thought, like you, that it was a wheel bearing and I was going to be out a lot of money. But the mechanic called back a little later and said it was a relatively simple fix.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

infrared35 posted:

This may or may not have anything to do with your issue, but I've got a '99 Outback Sport that did the same thing at about 130k miles - drums on the rear too. Turns out something in the brake assembly was slowly giving out, and one day I tried to go to work and it had completely frozen up. I thought, like you, that it was a wheel bearing and I was going to be out a lot of money. But the mechanic called back a little later and said it was a relatively simple fix.

What, does a wheel bearing cost a bunch for these cars or what? Because the last time I had wheel bearings replaced it was $60/wheel.

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop

Dave Inc. posted:

What, does a wheel bearing cost a bunch for these cars or what? Because the last time I had wheel bearings replaced it was $60/wheel.

Last time I had a wheel bearing done I think I paid around $150 for parts and labor.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

infrared35 posted:

Last time I had a wheel bearing done I think I paid around $150 for parts and labor.

Eh, that's not too bad but I'd rather do it myself. But then again, getting the tools and the work might be more pain than it's worse.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not sure about that year, but I know modern subarus have to have the bearings pressed into the hubs. If that's the case, to do it yourself will involve removing the knuckle and taking it to a machine shop which may be very frustrating depending on the state of various bolts.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure about that year, but I know modern subarus have to have the bearings pressed into the hubs. If that's the case, to do it yourself will involve removing the knuckle and taking it to a machine shop which may be very frustrating depending on the state of various bolts.

Old ones too, its a PITA if you don't have a good press.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

05+ legacy
05+ sti front
08+ impreza
09+ forester

have bolt in hubs/bearings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh neat, I might actually have a prayer of doing the wheel bearings on my new car myself.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
Someone was ranting at me about how awesome oil/air separators are for subarus. This got me thinking about the headers on my old engine having the distinct smell of oil when I first pulled them off. Are they a worthwhile investment?

I've never heard of them at all and I figure if they were so awesome I'd at least hear them recommended or talked about a bit more.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

they're good if you have a lovely motor with a lot of blowby. One company who makes them is famous for this- their air oil separator is the best one on the market.

but really they're not a bad thing to have.

oh also I have a bin full of catch cans and separators and whatnot.

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop

Dave Inc. posted:

Eh, that's not too bad but I'd rather do it myself. But then again, getting the tools and the work might be more pain than it's worse.

Yeah, my patience only goes so far when we're talking about my means of getting to work every day. Plus, I don't really have a good place to work on it even if I wanted to.

Question! My check engine light has been going on intermittently for a little while now ('99 OBS, 2.2, automatic). I've had the oxygen sensors go bad once I've passed 100k miles on each of my previous cars, but those would throw the oxygen sensor code. On this one, I'm getting something like "catalytic converter not operating at peak efficiency." The cat doesn't seem to be blocked up or anything - no obvious ticking or other cool-down noises that I've been told are signs that it needs replacing. The car doesn't seem down on power, though if it's been a gradual decrease over the last few years I might not have really noticed. Otherwise it drives just fine and I'm still getting around 30MPG on the highway.

Is this a known issue? Is this what I can expect instead of an oxygen sensor failure? Does the cat really need to be replaced? I'm not in a state that requires emissions checks but the light coming on all the time is annoying. And I don't want to tape over it; the tape gets brittle and falls off in the winter. :v:

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

jamal posted:

they're good if you have a lovely motor with a lot of blowby. One company who makes them is famous for this- their air oil separator is the best one on the market.

but really they're not a bad thing to have.

oh also I have a bin full of catch cans and separators and whatnot.

So how is the grimspeed one? I was thinking of picking one up for my STI. Is there a way to determine if it's actually needed?

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

c355n4 posted:

Old ones too, its a PITA if you don't have a good press.

Okay, guess I'll just drop it by the shop where the PO got work done. Sounds like too much work and too many new tools for someone who only has a laundry closet for storage.

Appreciate the info.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
I think I'm the latest victim of piston ring failure.

:(

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Lazor posted:

I think I'm the latest victim of piston ring failure.

:(

That sucks.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

bull3964 posted:

I have to say, 2002 wheels look a lot better on the new body style than I would have thought (keep in mind that car is still on a jack.)

In a similar vein, I think the 17" BBS wheels from the previous gen STIs look much better than the 18's of the current gen.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

some new crap on my car:

and I have whiteline offset strut top mounts, a roll center kit, and racecomp engineering black springs on the way.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

MetaJew posted:

In a similar vein, I think the 17" BBS wheels from the previous gen STIs look much better than the 18's of the current gen.

Agreed! I painted mine black.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What brake brace did you get, Jamal? Mine doesn't really seem effective on the street but I'm going autocrossing in about nine hours so we'll see how that helps.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

cusco- I found it in the shop. Had to re-drill a hole for it to fit but I noticed a huge difference. Much better pedal feel, and most of the slop between pressing the pedal and actually braking is gone. Might be because the car is 13 years old though. Other brake mods are WRX front brakes, H6 legacy rear brakes, SS lines, and Hawk HPS pads. The stiffer suspension and alk also have a slight effect on braking.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The man in this picture is happy BECAUSE THE loving CAR IS WORKING!!!

And then at night....

Full throttle sideways into a bank, brushed off it but still ripped the bumper and a few dangly bits off. Still finished and didnt lift off for 2nd outright

Oh well, my fault this time :)

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

I misread your plate as, "NSFW Rally Permit" and was disappointed when it didn't actually say that.

The bumper will buff out :)

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
Rear Brakes on my '05 WRX worn down to the wear indicator, and my trusted repair shop says they're warped and need to be resurfaced. The cost for the resurfacing is pretty absurd when you look at new rear brake rotors.

I'd like to replace my Subaru rotors w/ DBA; and my Subaru pads with Hawk HPS. Anyone have good/bad experience w/ DBA or Hawk, or alternate suggestions within the same price range?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I use Hawk HPS in the front and I like them, but I don't know that it's worth the extra cost for the rear. Granted, the price difference is only $20, but I doubt you would notice any difference between Akebono ceramic and the Hawks due to how little the rear brakes matter.

The same would go for the rotors. A set of regular old Brembo blanks should be around $124 for the set of two so I really wouldn't spend beyond that.

About the only thing you really need for the rear brakes is quality. There's not much performance increase to be had back there.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

stoptech premium rotors are pretty good and inexpensive. You can also go with autozone blanks which are like $20 each. I've also been meaning to try a set of the stoptech performance pads.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
After 9 months of being inert, my car coughed again to life this afternoon. Now it goes up for sale :(

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004
A sort-of crosspost from post your own ride...

After approximately 8-weeks from the order date I got to pickup my '11 GR STi 5-Door. I specified navigation and am now getting the other "dealer-installed" options taken care of (iPod, rear bumper protector, alarm shock sensor, all-weather mats, etc.) I am really excited to be part of the Subaru community and looking forward to keeping the car for years to come.

Here is a photo from the pickup; I requested that the vehicle not be touched outside of the necessary PDI, so it has the wrap still on parts of the car as well as the interior.

Click here for the full 640x478 image.

I immediately got to work after making it home and in the garage installing a set of Rally Armor mud flaps:

Click here for the full 640x478 image.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

thealphabetsez posted:

Sweet looking STI

Might I suggest finding a reputable local tuner and putting a stage 1 tune on the car?

Also I must ask what that red car is also in that sweet sweet garage.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
It looks like he parks in front of Dr.Octopus with that crazy furnace piping.

EDIT: I didn't see the red car posted in "POST YOUR RIDE" thread, so I dunno.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 28, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

dayman posted:

After 9 months of being inert, my car coughed again to life this afternoon. Now it goes up for sale :(

The hell? Why was it sitting for 9 months, what was so bad?

Goddamn dude :(

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

TurboLuvah posted:

The hell? Why was it sitting for 9 months, what was so bad?

Goddamn dude :(

Nothing much. I just was on unemployment so I had no money to fix it. I finally got a jerb so I was able to fix the transmission.

It's nice to have it back, but I still wanna sell it. I want something a little newer without the headaches that come with owning a modded car. Looking at maybe getting an 05/06 GTO. I will miss it, it's been with me a long time.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

dayman posted:

I want something a little newer without the headaches that come with owning a modded OLD car. Looking at maybe getting an 05/06 GTO.

Do you honestly think that particular choice is going to fix that problem? I sure doubt it.

I'm sad to hear about your baby, but subarus are generally far more reliable overall even when modded than a GTO. I do know what you mean though as my 02 has been nothing but problems and I decided to sell it off to buy a new 2011. Although I had a prominent Subaru mechanic/Tuner scam me out of money and build me a defunct engine that ended up costing me over 12k and am in legal proceedings with him over it. So I more than had my fill.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 28, 2010

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Bob Log posted:

Do you honestly think that particular choice is going to fix that problem? I sure doubt it.

I'm sad to hear about your baby, but subarus are generally far more reliable overall even when modded than a GTO. I do know what you mean though as my 02 has been nothing but problems and I decided to sell it off to buy a new 2011. Although I had a prominent Subaru mechanic/Tuner scam me out of money and build me a defunct engine that ended up costing me over 12k and am in legal proceedings with him over it. So I more than had my fill.

Hope it wasn't Raw 1/Axis Performance. The owner skipped country evidently.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Ron from Axis was in a bad car accident over in Europe while on a trip and is still in the hospital. Not sure where the "skipped country" rumors are coming from.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

jamal posted:

Ron from Axis was in a bad car accident over in Europe while on a trip and is still in the hospital. Not sure where the "skipped country" rumors are coming from.

That was debunked on Nasioc and IWSti. Someone went to the shop and took pictures showing how someone had left in a hurry. Boxes everywhere, unpaid electric bill stuck in the door frame. There was no car accident, he's just a shady gently caress that scammed a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Bob Log posted:

Yeah, that's a good point. Most of the problems I've had with my car have stemmed from it being modded, though. It's not just problems that require immediate attention, it's little things. Like every time I drive it, I'm constantly analyzing it to make sure it's performing correctly and not about to blow up. Or how I have to change the exhaust and ECU just to get it inspected. Or how it's a cop magnet while they ignore every single V-8 domestic out there no matter how obnoxious.

I realize all cars come with their own problems but I feel like a change. I've been craving RWD and an LS2 and it's just that time I guess. I really have no desire to own a newer subaru, they do nothing for me unfortunately. FWIW I don't plan on modding the GTO, but best laid plans and such and such...

dayman fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 29, 2010