Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
You posted this here, and also in the "Almost Crashed" thread. Are you Schroedinger's Motorcycle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Synonamess Botch posted:

You posted this here, and also in the "Almost Crashed" thread. Are you Schroedinger's Motorcycle?

The context changed from one thread to the other mid-post.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Uh... that's kind of my point? I'm assuming these were two separate incidents that he decided to post about at the same time, but regardless it was mostly a joke.

Lancek
May 31, 2007
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Z3n posted:

My god, your heads!

Glad you're ok. I take it you still rode it home? We can always hang out next time, don't worry about it, most important thing is that you came out ok. Did you shut off the throttle in the gravel, or attempt to brake?

I was coming off the front brake right as I went down. I think it mostly my bad choice of line through the turn than anything else, huge mistake on my part.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Uh... that's kind of my point? I'm assuming these were two separate incidents that he decided to post about at the same time, but regardless it was mostly a joke.

I tried to build on your joke. :smith: "Oh poo poo, going to crash - I better post this!" followed by, "Oh poo poo, I crashed while posting. Better change the thread."

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Oops, now I feel like a boob. v:shobon:v

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

That's not even close to a crash. That's a picture of a pretty controlled "putting your horse to rest"-situation. You've got no right to post in this thread.

(glad you're ok) ;)

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 12, 2010

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Blaster of Justice posted:

That's not even close to a crash. That's a picture of a pretty controlled "putting your horse to rest"-situation. You've got no right to post in this thread.

(glad you're ok) ;)
Sorry to have wasted your time.

Repaired a broken tab with Z3n's recommended Plastex, but I am still left with this new vent:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Repaired a broken tab with Z3n's recommended Plastex, but I am still left with this new vent:

Stabilize your new vent with a glass fiber repair kit on the back, then fill it with blue Loctite Plastic Padding from the front. Sand it smooth ending with grit 1000 paper and place a huge Castrol or Quarker State sticker on top of the, now closed, vent. That always looks cool, and only real experts like you and me will have a clue about what really happened ;)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Well I was hoping to never add to this thread with an event of my own, but now I guess I have to.

Had my first ever today, lowsiding at about 65MPH into a small ditch (and possibly bouncing off a culvert before getting to the ditch, according to a guy that stopped to help). Came around a corner following a friend and gave the bike a flick to avoid a change in road surface (I think, I don't actually remember much before losing it. I just know I had a reason) and ended up altering my line in the corner directly into a puddle of gravel. This sent the back end out, and I knew right away I was done for.

The bike pinned my left foot between the footpeg and the shifter lever, so I was along for the ride. I've got a few rash spots where my mesh gear tore right up, and my left ankle and shin are a bit sore, but otherwise I am fine. It could have ended much worse and I'm thankful it didn't.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
poo poo, man. What gear were you wearing? How bad is the rash?

Glad your in one piece and came out of it without major things broken. How's the bike?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Unsure about the bike right now, but I rode it home to Champaign from south of Indianapolis, so it can't be that bad. I know it wasn't leaking anything yesterday when I parked it. But, the bars are bent (left hand sits about 2 inches lower and closer than it is supposed to, most of the left side is seriously scratched up, there is a 3ish inch dent into the gas tank (scratched past the primer and into the bare metal), the ignition cover probably won't be going back on due to the hackjob we had to do to get the key turning again, and the plastic cover for the battery and wiring on the left side if hosed. Also, my pillion backrest is shredded.

I was wearing compression shirt and shorts with a similar non-fitted shirt and shorts over that. The outer shirt is ripped in a couple spots. I was wearing a Firstgear Mesh-Tex (pre-2010 model), Firstgear HT Air 2.0 overpants, Tour Master Response SC boots, Firstgear Velocity armored mesh gloves, Tour Master silk glove liners, Lee Parks TechSox, Coolamx helmet liner and HJC CL-15 helmet. I am unsure if the glove liners are salvageable, but I know all the gear save the helmet liner is done for. I just got the gloves at MotoGP in Indy too. :(

Rash isn't bad. Maybe a 50-cent piece sized on my left knee, quarter-sized on my left elbow, dime-sized on my right elbow and some heavy scrapes (but no bleeding) on my right knee. And a bruised heel.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Good to hear you're OK, your gear definitely did its job. Think of this as a great chance to scope out some sweet new duds :)

Doesn't sound like your bike is too messed up, apart from the scratches everything should be replaceable in about an afternoon, but I'd certainly give everything a drat thorough check before riding it again. Do you have any pics of it?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Well, I hobbled downstairs and took a bunch of pictures of the bike and then of my gear, but either my lovely Blackberry or loving terrible Roxio Media Manager ate them all. :mad:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Decided that I needed to even out the damage on my DR650 today, so I lowsided it at ~75km/h on wet asphalt. I kind of forgot just how little traction freshly rained on roads have, especially when you're riding on dual sport tires. The upside is, I only managed to snap off a rear indicator, and the ball from my clutch lever, in addition to a bit of a misalignment of the front wheel. It was cockeyed the other direction before the crash (yeah, from a previous one), but unfortunately the two didn't quite even themselves out. Ah well, I'll probably just have to yard on the steering to try to straighten it out again.

As far as I go, well, I managed to push away from the bike while sliding, and to roll around a bit on my back so I didn't wear through any particular part of my gear. This did have the net effect of completely soaking me to the bone, but it's better than the alternative. My jacket - some lovely Vega mesh - survived with just a bit of wear through the outer layer. My Alter ego pants are still unscathed :iiam: as was my helmet. My boots (some nice leather hiking boots, because I'm too retarded to buy actual waterproof riding boots) seem to have laughed off any attempt by the road to wear through them. My nice shiny new North Face backpack (and dry bag :cry: ) suffered a few wear spots, but the laptop I had inside went undamaged as well. I've got a bit of a sore shin, but nothing too shabby, considering the bike landed on top of me.

Maybe I should put the bike away for the winter.

:smithicide:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Jesus. Glad you're ok. Check out the almost crash thread, I had the (almost) exact same thing happen, same weather, same bike. :tinfoil:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Get proper riding boots man, unless you like the idea of your foot being at a 90 degree angle in a direction its not supposed to bend in.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Easiest way to fix that minorly tweaked front wheel is to loosen up the bolts on the triples and let things return to their natural position (support the bike from under the engine while you do this so it doesn't just fall down the forks), and then to loosen the pinch bolts on the axle and the axle itself and pump it up and down a few times to straighten that out too.

Boots are a good idea as well, glad you make it out of this one with only minor injury and damage to the bike :)

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I know, I'm kind of :downs: in that regard. I crashed a few years back when I had a GS500 with the same boots (different pair, but same make), and I ended up with a pretty gimpy, sprained ankle. I think, if for no other reason, I need to pick some up that will keep my loving feet dry.

It's awesome how the only person that stopped to check if I was alright was the lady that I almost ended up t-boning. Stupid blind junctions and me outdriving the conditions. :downsgun:

Also, thanks for the advice, Z3n, I'll give that a go. It's for poo poo like this that I kind of wish I had a center stand.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

Yeah, I know, I'm kind of :downs: in that regard. I crashed a few years back when I had a GS500 with the same boots (different pair, but same make), and I ended up with a pretty gimpy, sprained ankle. I think, if for no other reason, I need to pick some up that will keep my loving feet dry.

It's awesome how the only person that stopped to check if I was alright was the lady that I almost ended up t-boning. Stupid blind junctions and me outdriving the conditions. :downsgun:

Also, thanks for the advice, Z3n, I'll give that a go. It's for poo poo like this that I kind of wish I had a center stand.

You can just toss a car jack under there, just put the bike on the sidestand and run the jack up until it just barely starts to lift the front forks.

How have you been, by the way? Busy with new job and such?

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

redscare posted:

Get proper riding boots man, unless you like the idea of your foot being at a 90 degree angle in a direction its not supposed to bend in.

This, this and this! Buy some MX-boots and get used to riding with them, all the suffering of wearing them will pay itself when you crash in the dirt at 50 km/h with a foot out and the boot is the only thing that saves your foot from doing an 180 degree spin.

My lovely Fly boots saved my rear end soo many times it's not even funny. Also get one with metal toes, so it's sparky sparky when you're on pavement :)

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Would motorcycle boots help a whole lot with the hyper extension of your feet? I've got a pair of A* SMX and TCX street boots and my feet are pretty flexible in there. Would they really keep it from bending the wrong way in a crash or is it just somewhat better than normal shoes?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Z3n posted:

You can just toss a car jack under there, just put the bike on the sidestand and run the jack up until it just barely starts to lift the front forks.

How have you been, by the way? Busy with new job and such?

Cool, I'll see what I can do. I haven't been super busy for the last month, as I'm just sitting around waiting for the next course to start. Monday morning I start on my next phase of training, though, which will eat up the rest of my fall and winter (as well as a lot of weekends).

The city I'm living in has really, really terrible shops for bikes and gear, which is how I ended up with a mesh jacket that kinda fits, and a spare helmet that I don't wear anymore.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bugdrvr posted:

Would motorcycle boots help a whole lot with the hyper extension of your feet? I've got a pair of A* SMX and TCX street boots and my feet are pretty flexible in there. Would they really keep it from bending the wrong way in a crash or is it just somewhat better than normal shoes?

Yes, that's the main idea of riding boots. They are designed to be flexible up to normal ranges of movement then they stop your ankle bending.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 26, 2010

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Yes, that's the main idea of riding boots. They are designed to be flexible up to normal ranges of movement then they stop your ankle bending.

That's for pavement/street boots. MX boots are designed to allow just minimal foot movement and avoid any sideways rotational ankle torsion (which are the ones that REALLY gently caress you up)

Normal riding boots will do a great job at protecting your foots on normal situations, but if you're ever taking that KLR offroad/riding sumo style with a foot out, do yourself a favour and buy MX boots.

Edit : But if you're only riding on road don't even think about buying MX boots, they SUCK to use with anything that isn't a cross, sumo or at most a dual-sport bike.

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 26, 2010

Simkin
May 18, 2007

But... I ride a dual sport and don't want to own two pairs of riding boots. :10bux:

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006

Simkin posted:

But... I ride a dual sport and don't want to own two pairs of riding boots. :10bux:

Well, it's not like you have to buy MX boots. If your current boots cover your ankle they will do a nice job protecting your foots 95% of the time.

But if you're planning on more serious or constant off-roading, do buy them. If for anything but the fact that dirt riding will destroy your nice boots in no time...

I'm just really biased for MX boots because i've gone thru two or three situations where normal riding boots would have meant a trip to the hospital and some time of phisiotherapy that MX boots saved me with no harm done. But i'm kind of a crazy fucker when i'm on my bike, so take that with a grain of salt.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Primo Itch posted:

If your current boots cover your ankle they will do a nice job protecting your foots 95% of the time.

You should tell that lie to the gear axle of my low-sided RD350 that pierced by boot and hooked my leg before it dragged me a fistful of yards. I'm pretty sure my softskin Diadora racing boots could have been successfully replaced by some somewhat more sturdy boots at that time.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Well, if I'm honest, I'd probably see the most use out of regular riding boots. I don't do too much crazy offroading with the DR - mostly ATV and snowmobile trails, which aren't too spectacularly dangerous. I just need to hope the only shop in town that actually carries gear has a pair with goretex, or start buying some goretex socks.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Just a quick post, I'll do a more detailed write-up later when the girlfriend isn't pawing at me to come to bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSov_3QFR6o

Lowsided it on damp pavement at Autobahn on Saturday. I'm fine, not even a scratch or bruise. Bike is in AMAZINGLY good shape. Badly bent handlebars (will need to be replaced), bent rear brake lever and passenger foot-peg, smashed plastic heat shield on the exhaust. Other then that it's almost without a scratch :iiam:

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 27, 2010

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
It's video like that that reminds you that sometimes poo poo just happens, and then it's over in a few seconds. Glad to see you're okay. Was it raining?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Tsaven Nava posted:

Just a quick post, I'll do a more detailed write-up later when the girlfriend isn't pawing at me to come to bed.

Lowsided it on drat pavement at Autobahn on Saturday. I'm fine, not even a scratch or bruise. Bike is in AMAZINGLY good shape. Badly bent handlebars (will need to be replaced), bent rear brake lever and passenger foot-peg, smashed plastic heat shield on the exhaust. Other then that it's almost without a scratch :iiam:

I loving hate the sound of a bike sliding over pavement. Your crash is now the alarm clock tone on my phone. That'll teach me to get up in the morning without using snooze. Thanks man.

Glad you're ok.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Lowsided it on drat pavement at Autobahn on Saturday. I'm fine, not even a scratch or bruise. Bike is in AMAZINGLY good shape. Badly bent handlebars (will need to be replaced), bent rear brake lever and passenger foot-peg, smashed plastic heat shield on the exhaust. Other then that it's almost without a scratch :iiam:

I think your bike was pissed at you because you missed the apex :v:. You can see the instant your bar gets destroyed at 0:20

And let the hassling begin -- hopefully you enjoyed your lengthy crash truck hatchback ride back to Chicago :smug:

Edit: lol

needknees fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 27, 2010

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
As you crash more, more bits will come off. Keep crashing until the bike on the right looks like the bike on the left. Congratulations, you're a KTM owner!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Saga posted:

As you crash more, more bits will come off. Keep crashing until the bike on the right looks like the bike on the left. Congratulations, you're a KTM owner!

Hah, the KTM owner still has a complete bike ;). Can't say as much for the wee.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whelp, you're ok, bike's mostly ok, no biggy. Congrats on surviving your first track off.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
And as a result of that crash, I got to spend the next day thrashing a ZX-10 around (and by "thrashing", I mean squidding around the track in 4th gear)

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Had a rear blowout on the interstate about an hour ago. I was going probably about 70-75 ish (not sure, no speedo) and suddenly the rear end is all over the place, drifting from lock to lock, completely out of control. I managed to keep it straight enough by countersteering, and gently used the front brake to try and scrub off as much speed as possible. I guided it toward the shoulder, but I had minimal control at best, and the bike kept going into the embankment. Once I hit the grass and started going down the hill I had zero control and braking, I knew it was pretty much game over and my only goal was to distance myself from the 450 lbs of metal before I hit the ditch. Probably still going about 15-20mph, I leapt away from the bike, sorry Honda but you're on your own this time. Tucked and rolled and let the bike do its own thing.

The bike (1976 CB550F) is mostly OK, I think, I didn't look too thoroughly. The blinkers & headlight is hosed up, mirrors bent, handlebars & pedals possibly too, but I didn't check. Flat tire too (duh). As for me, I don't have a scratch, but my back hurts tremendously, my elbow a little too. My wife says I'm slightly concussed but what does she know. I will need a new helmet.

It happened so quickly but it felt time slowed down greatly. I didn't have time to be scared, just react, and when it was all over my only reaction was to sit on the ground and laugh. Still I find the whole thing rather exciting. Even though it ended in a wreck, I feel like I handled it well, and maintained composure throughout. I'm proud of myself, and I'm still in one piece, so that's all there is to it I guess.

e: also I would have imagined with a rear blowout I would have better control over the bike. Maybe I had more control than in a front blowout, but regardless, at that point steering was little more than a suggestion. But I kept my eyes on the road and did my best, and I did OK.

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 30, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Glad you came out (relatively) ok :)

You experienced one of my worst motorcycling fears, right behind getting smoked by a car that blows a red light and getting completely asspacked by a car not paying attention at a light/traffic slowdown/whatever. Knock on wood but I have never had a total blowout in either a car or bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I still think the scariest thing on a bike is a massive tank slapper that results in a highside (which I got to experience on my Maxim last year). The doctor thought that it wasn't the impact with the road that broke my wrist but the violent twisting of the handlebars as I hung on like a listless ragdoll for a bit too long.

• Locked thread