Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

Detective Thompson posted:

First one I only remember a very small part, where some gangsters are meeting up under a bridge or something like that, maybe in the L.A. River. The head guy sees some lone dude spray painting over the gang's tag, yells at him, the guy tries to run, but the leader shoots him. The scene ends when the gang (I seem to recall there wasn't a lot of guys in the gang, like three or four), walks by the still-living victim and the head guy shoots him a few more times as they go by him. I think I saw this probably in the mid-90s.

There's a scene like this in 187:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118531/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
Okay guys, I've got a challenge for you. I need you to help me find the worst movie ever made.

• Foreign or independent film. Can't tell.

• I came into the middle of the film. Apparently, from what I gather from the film, this Asian girl finds out she's Asian. (The beginning of the film had her with blond hair. Apparently, having blond hair totally fools you.)

• No one else could apparently tell either, because her boyfriend is shocked as hell.

• Her boyfriend starts to have hallucinations/daydreams about her dressing in stereotypical Asian clothing (He imagined her wearing a lamp head... which was supposed to be a rice hat I guess.

• Her boyfriend takes her out to the park for a romantic time. He breaks out with a strap-on somewhere in the date (not shown, but implied). The reason for this is because she is Asian... and that makes her a dirty WHORE. He goes on with a speech trying to convince her that because she's ASIAN, she's automatically a WHORE. Because you know, she's Asian and all Asians are whores.

• She kicks the dudes rear end (maybe with karate). The dudes friend is randomly hiding in the trunk. (Since she's a whore, the boyfriend was willing to share with his friend.)

• She renames herself from an ingredient from kim-chee or some other Asian food, can't remember.

• Yes, I am dead serious. I did watch a movie like this (at least the middle).

I want to find this film so I can give it to people for Christmas as gag gifts. Plus it was so horrible that I want it in my collection. Sorry I can't give you any info but if you do find it, you'll have this poor black man's blessing (Black men are magical).

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

morestuff posted:

I saw this movie and barely remember anything about it. How did it end?

Basically, the two guys are having a huge argument about what the gently caress is going on. They realised earlier that they could basically will things out of existence, so during the fight they started to just... will each other's body parts away. Eventually they end up as two disembodied heads, realise the futility of their actions and decide to bounce around like retards.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Unexpected EOF posted:

The latter movie is called "Nothing", the end of which still freaks me out.

Thanks! Netflix doesn't have it so I'll have to track it down somewhere else, but at least I know the title now.

zombieman posted:

There's a scene like this in 187:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118531/

I'll take a look at it, thanks.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

First one I only remember a very small part, where some gangsters are meeting up under a bridge or something like that, maybe in the L.A. River. The head guy sees some lone dude spray painting over the gang's tag, yells at him, the guy tries to run, but the leader shoots him. The scene ends when the gang (I seem to recall there wasn't a lot of guys in the gang, like three or four), walks by the still-living victim and the head guy shoots him a few more times as they go by him. I think I saw this probably in the mid-90s.

Could this be Where the Day Takes You? I haven't seen that movie since the '90s myself but I know that many scenes take place under a bridge like that, and for some reason that just popped in my head when I read your post.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Does anybody remember this movie?

• probably french
  • probably from the 60s-70s
  • set in a city bustling with technological exhibitions and showrooms
  • I remember a clear blue sky throughout/in some parts of the movie
  • if I remember right it's not really a movie with a plot, it's a showcase of what at the time was thought to be the technological apex
  • it is rather slow paced, taking its time to show things with slow panning shots

Oh and also I think I remember a scene with a woman riding automatic stairs looking outside towards the city packed with high risers

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

necroid posted:

Does anybody remember this movie?

• probably french
  • probably from the 60s-70s
  • set in a city bustling with technological exhibitions and showrooms
  • I remember a clear blue sky throughout/in some parts of the movie
  • if I remember right it's not really a movie with a plot, it's a showcase of what at the time was thought to be the technological apex
  • it is rather slow paced, taking its time to show things with slow panning shots

Oh and also I think I remember a scene with a woman riding automatic stairs looking outside towards the city packed with high risers

Playtime?

necroid
May 14, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Playtime?

Yesss thanks!

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
This is really vague but the mental image is stuck in my mind..

It's likely? a horror movie, where a person spots and uses his fingers to open an eye on a wall or some other vertical surface. Not sure if the eye was pupil-less or not, but certainly organic-like, and the person opened it like someone would try to open a sleeping or passed-out person's eye or put on contact lenses, i.e. with some care, without touching the eyeball. It could've also been some sort of a spy movie, but it wasn't a typical camera that was uncovered, but eye-like at least.

The movie must've been from the 80ies at the very latest considering I was a kid when i saw it, but it could possibly be a lot older.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

pigdog posted:

This is really vague but the mental image is stuck in my mind..

It's likely? a horror movie, where a person spots and uses his fingers to open an eye on a wall or some other vertical surface. Not sure if the eye was pupil-less or not, but certainly organic-like, and the person opened it like someone would try to open a sleeping or passed-out person's eye or put on contact lenses, i.e. with some care, without touching the eyeball. It could've also been some sort of a spy movie, but it wasn't a typical camera that was uncovered, but eye-like at least.

The movie must've been from the 80ies at the very latest considering I was a kid when i saw it, but it could possibly be a lot older.

This sounds like the scenes in The Gate right before the eyeball appears on the kid's hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOX6-Rw5PWc

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I'm not completely assured it's not.. but I don't think that's it, sadly. Forgot to mention that the wall, or whatever surface, was black or very dark in color.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 28, 2010

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
OK, this one has been bugging me for a while, and I'm sorry if this has been brought up before.

It's a horror movie, from the 80's, believe it takes place in a major city and what I remember most is the ending. The hero (white guy, light brown hair, possessed by a demon, blood red eyes) is fighting the villain (white guy, pale, dark hair, also possessed by a demon) on top of the building (church?). The villain is defeated (stabbed, thrown off the building, disintegrated by the power of holy, whatever) and the hero is no longer possessed. He walks away, his arm around his girlfriend, we pan over to a black hobo, who was featured earlier in the movie, and now he has the creepy blood red eyes, and he leers at some random woman. cut to black.

I'm sorry that the details are scarce, but I remember this movie from my childhood and have never know the name of it. Saw it multiple times on Cinemax, might have been from an off the TV recording of Back to the future and this was the lead in 15 minutes. TIA

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Woke up in the middle of the night. Wrote this down:

"80s movie-- dead dad reincarnated as vacuum cleaner -- what was it ???"

It wasn't Jack Frost.

Good luck!

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

CzarChasm posted:

OK, this one has been bugging me for a while, and I'm sorry if this has been brought up before.

It's a horror movie, from the 80's, believe it takes place in a major city and what I remember most is the ending. The hero (white guy, light brown hair, possessed by a demon, blood red eyes) is fighting the villain (white guy, pale, dark hair, also possessed by a demon) on top of the building (church?). The villain is defeated (stabbed, thrown off the building, disintegrated by the power of holy, whatever) and the hero is no longer possessed. He walks away, his arm around his girlfriend, we pan over to a black hobo, who was featured earlier in the movie, and now he has the creepy blood red eyes, and he leers at some random woman. cut to black.

I'm sorry that the details are scarce, but I remember this movie from my childhood and have never know the name of it. Saw it multiple times on Cinemax, might have been from an off the TV recording of Back to the future and this was the lead in 15 minutes. TIA

I think this might be My Demon Lover.
Check out the pictures and video clip here, see if it's familiar.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Popcorn posted:

It wasn't Jack Frost.

Good luck!

Gotta ask... Are you sure you're not thinking of the "Tales from the Darkside" episode called "Hush"?

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...

Popcorn posted:

It wasn't Jack Frost.

Good luck!

I think this is "And You Thought Your Parents Were Weird" which has a really weird flirting/hinting at sex scene between the mom and the robot that Alan Thicke's soul has inhabited.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101343/

Also holy poo poo IMDBs new layout sucks.

PonchtheJedi fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 29, 2010

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I think I'm remembering this right. It's just one image I can remember.

An eyeball in a fortune cookie. It was alive because it moved around and looked at all the main characters. I think a bunch of blood appears as well.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Was it Stephen King's IT?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PonchtheJedi posted:

Also holy poo poo IMDBs new layout sucks.

Not to derail, but tell me about it. There's an option in your account to switch to the original way, but even that's sketchy since most of the pages I visit wind up being the new layout anyway until I click a few times.

gently caress the new layout. What was wrong with the old simple layout?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
All I can remember is two guys joking about the fact that another dude in the diner/whatever they're in looked a lot like Nigel from Spinal Tap. I think that they were long-time friends who'd had a falling out, and this was their making-up moment.

Might have been a movie, might have been tv.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Was it Stephen King's IT?

Hey, it is! Thanks! Now I'm remembering a lot from this movie.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

MachineryNoise posted:

I think this might be My Demon Lover.
Check out the pictures and video clip here, see if it's familiar.

Holy poo poo you guys are good, thanks. Wow, that movie looks terrible.

palmy
Jan 24, 2007

Somebody at work told me about this Canadian zombie movie about a group of college students working at a radio station. Then zombies attack, blah blah, turns out the virus is spread by the English language so they start talking in broken french-Canadian that they learned in school.

Google isn't coming up with much for results.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

palmy posted:

Somebody at work told me about this Canadian zombie movie about a group of college students working at a radio station. Then zombies attack, blah blah, turns out the virus is spread by the English language so they start talking in broken french-Canadian that they learned in school.

Google isn't coming up with much for results.

Pontypool.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I'm trying to remember a movie or tv show, I can't remember which it was, I saw it a few years ago I think on TV. Basic plot was a plane had passed through something and disappeared and reappeared and crazy stuff happened to everyone on board from their greatest fear happening to their greatest dream. Ones I remember was someone burning to death, and being autopsied and then when the effects reversed she died. The other was a paralyzed woman being able to talk and record a video for her husband and a black woman that was one of the investigators who had metal in her (bullet?) being able to pass through the metal detector with the video tape.

This has been bugging me for months and my brother told me about this thread so I decided to try it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Apocadall posted:

I'm trying to remember a movie or tv show, I can't remember which it was, I saw it a few years ago I think on TV. Basic plot was a plane had passed through something and disappeared and reappeared and crazy stuff happened to everyone on board from their greatest fear happening to their greatest dream. Ones I remember was someone burning to death, and being autopsied and then when the effects reversed she died. The other was a paralyzed woman being able to talk and record a video for her husband and a black woman that was one of the investigators who had metal in her (bullet?) being able to pass through the metal detector with the video tape.

This has been bugging me for months and my brother told me about this thread so I decided to try it.

Awww yeah! This is episode 2 of the show Miracles. It's called "The Friendly Skies". Terrific show, cancelled because the Iraq War kept cutting into its timeslot.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

penismightier posted:

Awww yeah! This is episode 2 of the show Miracles. It's called "The Friendly Skies". Terrific show, cancelled because the Iraq War kept cutting into its timeslot.

Thank you so much, this has been bugging me for forever.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I've been trying to get people to watch that loving show for years.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Thought of another one my dad was telling me about. It was a remake of either Hamlet or Macbeth done in more modern times, with the story taking place in a Mafia family. In essence Godfather meets Shakespeare. The story and characters were Shakespeare, but the speech was modern.

In the same vein, any other re-imaginings of Shakespeare plays would be cool (already seen the "modern" Hamlet with Ethan Hawke and Romeo and Juliet for the MTV generation)

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

CzarChasm posted:

In the same vein, any other re-imaginings of Shakespeare plays would be cool (already seen the "modern" Hamlet with Ethan Hawke and Romeo and Juliet for the MTV generation)

Richard III with Ian McKellan as a fascist dictator in a reimagined 1930's Britain

Oh, and you must be thinking of Men of Respect which is an adaption of MacBeth.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 1, 2010

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

CzarChasm posted:

Thought of another one my dad was telling me about. It was a remake of either Hamlet or Macbeth done in more modern times, with the story taking place in a Mafia family. In essence Godfather meets Shakespeare. The story and characters were Shakespeare, but the speech was modern.

Probably Men of Respect, from the description on imdb.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102432/

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

CzarChasm posted:

Throne of Blood is Akira Kurosawa's take on MacBeth. Toshiro Mifune plays the MacBeth analogue samurai lord.

Branagh's As You Like It takes place in some Japanese/East Asian place. Of course most of the cast either has or is faking English accents and are white/black. Kevin Kline doesn't do an accent because he kicks rear end. Also Branagh's Hamlet appears to take place in something similar to the Victorian era. Although these are both mostly just set dressings. Very little, if any, actual plot ties into either of these settings so I'm not sure if they are what you are looking for. Just thought I'd toss them in anyway.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Aki Kaurismäki's Hamlet Goes Business is pretty good too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Underflow posted:

Aki Kaurismäki's Hamlet Goes Business is pretty good too.

Agreed. It's The Bad Sleep Well (i.e., noir-ish Hamlet) with a sense of humor.

We have a nice thread on Shakespeare adaptations here.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

FitFortDanga posted:

Agreed. It's The Bad Sleep Well (i.e., noir-ish Hamlet) with a sense of humor.

We have a nice thread on Shakespeare adaptations here.

Wonder how I can have missed that, thanks. I was completely ignorant of some of the adaptations listed there as well; especially the post-'70s ones.

Now I wish Kaurismäki would do A Midsummer Night's Dream.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

nevermind

ballistics statistics fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 2, 2010

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I doubt this will work due to vagueness, but I'll try it.

So I watched Big Trouble in Little China tonight, and afterward I told my friend that there was some relatively big name movie that was originally written as the sequel to Big Trouble in Little China, but ultimately was re-written as something else. Now that I'm home, apparently I'm wrong. But does anyone know what I am thinking of? Like I said, it was a relatively well-known movie that turned out to have originally been planned as a sequel, and I was thinking it was something kind of cheesy/tongue-in-cheek, like Buckaroo Banzai, Big Trouble in Little China, Flash Gordon, or the like.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

ClydeUmney posted:

I doubt this will work due to vagueness, but I'll try it.

So I watched Big Trouble in Little China tonight, and afterward I told my friend that there was some relatively big name movie that was originally written as the sequel to Big Trouble in Little China, but ultimately was re-written as something else. Now that I'm home, apparently I'm wrong. But does anyone know what I am thinking of? Like I said, it was a relatively well-known movie that turned out to have originally been planned as a sequel, and I was thinking it was something kind of cheesy/tongue-in-cheek, like Buckaroo Banzai, Big Trouble in Little China, Flash Gordon, or the like.

Perhaps you had seen this?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Glass Joe posted:

Perhaps you had seen this?

I think that might well have been it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Okay, I'm looking for this weird film I saw in my band class in middle school. It's about this young girl who's talking to her grandmother about this famous classical composer/musician. The little girl then ends up traveling back in time somehow and ends up meeting said famous composer/musician. And I'm pretty sure only he can see her for some reason.

I think the title may have had the guy's name in it, but for the life of me I can't remember it. It was probably made no earlier than the early nineties, but I don't know for sure.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. It was Rossini's Ghost. :)

Diet Conan Doyle fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 4, 2010