Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

OGB posted:

Worth noting that it's missing all the extra features on disc 2 of the 3 disc set. (Disc 3 is a DVD/Digital Copy).

Disc 2 contains:

Personally, I really want to see the making of doc, so I'm sticking with the 3-disc version.

Ah, I missed it was the single disc version. Thanks for clearing that up, I'll edit my original post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

screenwritersblues posted:

I have netflix and I can't decide what ones to buy.

Look through your watching history, and any movie that makes you think "I want to see that again someday" - put it on the "buy" list.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new Guillermo del Toro box set from the UK looks sweet.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

doctor thodt posted:

The new Guillermo del Toro box set from the UK looks sweet.

"The Devil’s Backbone, Pan’s Labyrinth and his debut feature Cronos are featured here with new picture masters supervised and approved by Guillermo himself."

£55, though? Ouch.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dr. Strangelove is on sale for $12.99. If you don't already own this and still don't bite at this price, well, gently caress you.

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!

doctor thodt posted:

Dr. Strangelove is on sale for $12.99. If you don't already own this and still don't bite at this price, well, gently caress you.

but is the blu ray a significant enough visual upgrade from the dvd?

edit: dvdbeaver says yes so i pulled the trigger. thank thodt!

Shalkore fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 25, 2010

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

also picked it up... thank you sir!

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Man, people on blu-ray.com are losing their goddamn minds because the upcoming Grindhouse release has lossy audio. Even those who locked in at $13.99 are cancelling their pre-orders over this. I don't know what these people cancelling expect to get in the way of a solution, though. I can't see them doing a double dip (triple, if you count the initial, separate releases) just to release it with lossless. I mean, nobody has to really justify why they are or aren't spending money on something, but the forums there are simply going apeshit over this, like how people faced with a REAL injustice act.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 25, 2010

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Space_Butler posted:

Man, people on blu-ray.com are losing their goddamn minds because the upcoming Grindhouse release has lossy audio. Even those who locked in at $13.99 are cancelling their pre-orders over this. I don't know what these people cancelling expect to get in the way of a solution, though. I can't see them doing a double dip (triple, if you count the initial, separate releases) just to release it with lossless. I mean, nobody has to really justify why they are or aren't spending money on something, but the forums there are simply going apeshit over this, like how people faced with a REAL injustice act.

Video/Audiophiles are giant loving babies, much like every other hobby's obsessive sperglords.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space_Butler posted:

It sucks but I'm sure as hell not canceling my $14 pre-order over it, as it's the only comprehensive set we're ever likely to get on BD.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Crackbone posted:

Video/Audiophiles are giant loving babies, much like every other hobby's obsessive sperglords.

There's a guy at HTF who's upset because the title card on (The) Seventh Seal says "SJUNDE INSEGLET" instead of "DET SJUNDE INSEGLET". He uses the word "idiot" a lot in his rants about it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space_Butler posted:

It's even worse because they seem to be unable to comprehend that Grindhouse is a different experience than watching the separate, standalone releases.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crackbone posted:

I've never thought of videophiles being on the same level though. There doesn't seem to be a lot of options to optimizing video quality, at least not compared to audio. All audiophiles though can burn in hell.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So if I understand right, the movie that's grainy and lovely to look like old 70's 42nd street exploitation has moderately good audio...

And these babies are collectively soiling their 60x30 cotton Dockers?

I loving hate nerds.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Tony Danza Claus posted:

So if I understand right, the movie that's grainy and lovely to look like old 70's 42nd street exploitation has moderately good audio...

And these babies are collectively soiling their 60x30 cotton Dockers?

I loving hate nerds.

I'm not as pissed off about it as a lot of people seem to be, but it's still goddamn ridiculous to be putting DVD-quality audio on a Blu-Ray disc. I know there's no point in bitching and moaning about it because this is the product we're stuck with, but regardless, it's stupid and kinda sucks. Lossless audio is just as important a component of the high-definition experience as 1080p video, for a lot of people.

The Human Centipede reviewed :quagmire:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Oh, yeah-

screenwritersblues posted:

I've got a question for you guys.

I've had my Blu-ray player since Christmas and I've only brought one Blu-ray with it, Bullit.

I have netflix and have had a bunch of Blu-rays, but I can't decide what ones to buy.

Does anyone have a site that has the essential Blu-rays to own or can someone give a list of decent titles?

doctor thodt posted:

That movie, at that price, I'd say, is must-own.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
The lossy audio really doesn't make a difference for me. When I saw it theaters, I specifically chose to see it at the ancient, awful theater that was virtually falling apart as opposed to the brand new one specifically to enhance the viewing experience. Everyone I know, I think, hit up the old dive as opposed to the new theater and given that I did that, I would have to be totally hosed in order to whine about the audio.

Put Dr. Stragelove on my order with Thin Red Line.

Is that del Toro box set Region B?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

:j: Honey this theater has roaches and I can see the springs in our seats...
:smug: Don't worry babe, that's just going to enhance our viewing experience. :smug:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
To be fair, seeing Grindhouse in a beat-up old theater could be considered an enhancement.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
The theater was in a once-prosperous mall. Every place of business within the mall, has since closed up save of course, for the theater. The theater is the only thing still operating in the complex, there is literally nothing else there; it is a failed mall. There's this really eerie, walk down a long hall, through an empty food court (the restaurants are all boarded up) to get to the theater at the opposite end of the entrance. The building's decor and colours have not changed since the late eighties.

On certain days, ticket prices are as low as $2. I have no idea how the place is still open.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Silber posted:

On certain days, ticket prices are as low as $2. I have no idea how the place is still open.

From the way you're painting it, 'sheer spite' might be the answer.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm heading from Australia to the US in a few months around March; I'm wondering, if I get a Sherwood BDP-5004 (the region free player that DVD Beaver uses), that means I can play region A, B and C Blu Rays, correct? What about DVDs? There's a few cult films that only seem to get an R1 release, hoping to raid stores while over there to grab some goodies.

As an aside, can anyone recommend good places to buy DVDs and Blus in Austin and San Francisco? Preferably in the city areas.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I, Butthole posted:

I'm heading from Australia to the US in a few months around March; I'm wondering, if I get a Sherwood BDP-5004 (the region free player that DVD Beaver uses), that means I can play region A, B and C Blu Rays, correct? What about DVDs? There's a few cult films that only seem to get an R1 release, hoping to raid stores while over there to grab some goodies.

As an aside, can anyone recommend good places to buy DVDs and Blus in Austin and San Francisco? Preferably in the city areas.

I have a Momitsu BDP-799 which Sherwood cloned from and as long as you have their unlock code, you can make it region free for DVD as long as you don't have the most recent firmware which disabled it (it can be reversed although some discs may not play)

Amazon's page should help further:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AQ51VK/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B002AQ51VK&creative=373489&camp=211189

Can't help you with the cities unless New York was a stop.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

I guess I can't put off seeing this movie any longer

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

Has anyone started watching the Spartacus Blood and Sand blus yet? I'm seeing some serious lip sync issues on the first disc. Anyone else getting that?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Volcasarus ReX posted:

Has anyone started watching the Spartacus Blood and Sand blus yet? I'm seeing some serious lip sync issues on the first disc. Anyone else getting that?

Nope. Got the latest firmware for your player?

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

doctor thodt posted:

Nope. Got the latest firmware for your player?

I updated two months ago but haven't checked recently, normally it just tells me as soon as I turn it on. It's not anything completely off, but it is noticeable if you are looking at their mouths.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
3:10 To Yuma dropped to $7.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XRO3MQ?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000XRO3MQ

I'm not a fan of it but alot of other people enjoyed it and the PQ was good.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sporadic posted:

3:10 To Yuma dropped to $7.99 on Amazon.

Welp. I just impulse bought it.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Alright, I want to see people's purchase lists for October 5, which appears to be the biggest date for Blu-Ray so far this year. You can also list stuff that you won't be purchasing on that day, but eventually plan on getting down the line. Here's what's coming out:

30 Days of Night: Dark Days
Baseball: The Tenth Inning (Ken Burns doc)
Beauty and the Beast
Bones: The Complete Fifth Season
Delgo
The Exorcist
Grindhouse
The Human Centipede
The Karate Kid (2010)
The Last of the Mohicans
Mad Max
The Maltese Falcon
The Mission (Amazon exclusive)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
Peanuts Holiday Collection
Robocop Trilogy
The Secret of Kells
Splice
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Troll 2

I'll be honest: mainly I'm just interested in who's buying The Human Centipede and/or Troll 2 :3:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is a loaded day, but with a lot of junk. I'm only really looking forward to The Exorcist, Beauty and the Beast, Sierra Madre and Last of the Mohicans (though I'll inevitably get a few more). October at large is going be huge though with 5 unmissable Criterions, The Alien Anthology, Back to the Future, Psycho, How to Train Your Dragon, Apocalypse Now, the Luhrmann movies, Winter's Bone (seriously please buy this), and Rocky Horror if you're into that sort of thing - not to mention some of the good stuff coming out in the UK (Spirits of the Dead, Straw Dogs, Amores Perros, Make Way for Tomorrow, etc)

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 27, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

doctor thodt posted:

That is a loaded day, but with a lot of junk. I'm only really looking forward to The Exorcist, Beauty and the Beast, Sierra Madre and Last of the Mohicans (though I'll inevitably get a few more). October at large is going be huge though with 5 unmissable Criterions, The Alien Anthology, Back to the Future, Psycho, How to Train Your Dragon, Apocalypse Now, the Luhrmann movies, Winter's Bone (seriously please buy this), and Rocky Horror if you're into that sort of thing - not to mention some of the good stuff coming out in the UK (Spirits of the Dead, Straw Dogs, Amores Perros, Make Way for Tomorrow, etc)

Are you not interested in The Maltese Falcon for taste reasons, or do you have issues with the disc?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't seen The Maltese Falcon since I was a young teen, thus too stupid to get a good handle on the film. I'll be picking it up, but it's essentially a blind buy at this point.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
I'm definitely getting Beauty and the Beast, Mad Max and The Exorcist, probably more. I actually watched Human Centipede a few days ago. Well I probably watched twenty minutes of it, I did a lot of fast forwarding. I was sort of hoping it would be a 'The Room' of horror movies, sadly it was just stupid. Stupid enough to be funny in general but not :psyduck: enough that I would routinely subject my friends to it. I at least hope the reviews are entertaining.

Man, the deals on Amazon become so terrible once I change the .com to .ca I always get so excited then I find out that like Dr. Strangelove is actually still $37 CND. And no that isn't like sixty cents in :911:, its more like $36 USD. I saved $10 by canceling my preorder and just picking up Thin Red Line at my local shop. I also really hope they release Badlands, and soon.

I can't wait to see Seven Samurai unboxed, I bet its fantastic. I don't know if I want this under the tree or in my hands immediately. The most equitable solution would be to move Christmas to October.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

I haven't seen The Maltese Falcon since I was a young teen, thus too stupid to get a good handle on the film. I'll be picking it up, but it's essentially a blind buy at this point.

It's one classic that holds up flawlessly. Great cast, perfect script, and not a wasted second. The digital restoration was handled by Lowry Digital, so it should look terrific. Too bad the BluRay doesn't include the 1931 version since it's quite good, even compared to Huston's film.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My apologies if this has already been posted in here but I'll do it anyway.

Through the Disney Blu-Ray Club, you can get 9 BR's for $89.70.

1. Go to disneyblurayclub.com
2. Input code 14366
3. Pick 5 BRs for $1. ($0.20 each)
4. Pick 1 BR for $11.95 (counts toward 3 BR commitment)
5. Pick 1 BR for $7.95 (doesn't count toward commitment)
6. Get those 7 BRs now for $21.90
7. Buy 2 more BRs over the course of 24 months at $29.95 each to complete commitment
8. Cancel club

As with any club like this, you have to opt out of that featured disc whenever they try to send it, but I guess they send you a mailing with the title indicated, then you send something back if you want to opt out. If you don't opt out in time, they mail you the disc and charge you.

I normally hate these club things, but I can buy two movies over the course of 2 years in addition to the 7 I'm getting right off the bat, so I figured gently caress it, I'll let you guys know.

I picked up:
Up
Monsters Inc.
Cars
A Bug's Life
Ratatouille
Wall-E
Sin City

Hope at least one of you can get good use of this deal like I did.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Egbert Souse posted:

It's one classic that holds up flawlessly. Great cast, perfect script, and not a wasted second. The digital restoration was handled by Lowry Digital, so it should look terrific. Too bad the BluRay doesn't include the 1931 version since it's quite good, even compared to Huston's film.

So basically, it's just like Sierra Madre. I'm glad to hear that. Did Lowry restore both films? They do drat good work.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

My apologies if this has already been posted in here but I'll do it anyway.

Through the Disney Blu-Ray Club, you can get 9 BR's for $89.70.

1. Go to disneyblurayclub.com
2. Input code 14366
3. Pick 5 BRs for $1. ($0.20 each)
4. Pick 1 BR for $11.95 (counts toward 3 BR commitment)
5. Pick 1 BR for $7.95 (doesn't count toward commitment)
6. Get those 7 BRs now for $21.90
7. Buy 2 more BRs over the course of 24 months at $29.95 each to complete commitment
8. Cancel club

As with any club like this, you have to opt out of that featured disc whenever they try to send it, but I guess they send you a mailing with the title indicated, then you send something back if you want to opt out. If you don't opt out in time, they mail you the disc and charge you.

I normally hate these club things, but I can buy two movies over the course of 2 years in addition to the 7 I'm getting right off the bat, so I figured gently caress it, I'll let you guys know.

I picked up:
Up
Monsters Inc.
Cars
A Bug's Life
Ratatouille
Wall-E
Sin City

Hope at least one of you can get good use of this deal like I did.

If this deal is available when The Incredibles is released, I may just go for it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Red posted:

If this deal is available when The Incredibles is released, I may just go for it.

You could always buy now and use The Incredibles to cover your full price requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

morestuff posted:

You could always buy now and use The Incredibles to cover your full price requirement.

Yeah, but... I don't think there are 5 Blu-Rays on the site (for $1) that I want. I might be able to pick 5 if Incredibles is one of them.

• Locked thread