Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Sionistic posted:

I always preferred the Scott Hall tron David Flair Style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpy-A6tW2kM&feature=related

At first I didn't get it, but after reading the first comment or two that's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Sionistic posted:

Thats definatly one of the better ones. Although not much beats the look of disappointment on Ric in the original.

For actual question content. Not sure if it has been adressed before but what was the original reason for Jim Cornette's seemingly rabid hatred of Paul Heyman? Does Heyman ever rage back at Cornette because I can think on him saying much if anything about Cornette in any interviews I've read.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached
This will always be my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGHQUfae4jE
Here Comes the Shovel.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrMondayNight posted:

Thats definatly one of the better ones. Although not much beats the look of disappointment on Ric in the original.

For actual question content. Not sure if it has been adressed before but what was the original reason for Jim Cornette's seemingly rabid hatred of Paul Heyman? Does Heyman ever rage back at Cornette because I can think on him saying much if anything about Cornette in any interviews I've read.
Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70SOBBz58-s

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

El Duke posted:

This. It's just a really good example of epic main event 80's style booking. Warrior also had really good matches against Savage at WM VII and SummerSlam 92, but it was pretty much Savage carrying the entire thing. There's no Warrior match you can watch and say that it was good because of his performance. There's always another reason it was great, and he kind of happened to be there, too.

Warrior/Haku.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So I certainly won't be the last and I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, but is there any story/explanation/logic behind why Cole calls a power slam a scoop slam?

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

So I certainly won't be the last and I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this, but is there any story/explanation/logic behind why Cole calls a power slam a scoop slam?

Michael Cole isn't very good at calling moves. Or doing anything other than making GBS threads on bad television, really.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I did consider that possibility, but then I thought surely someone in all of his time broadcasting would have corrected him... I guess not.

That crazy DUB-YA EEY!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

McMahon is in his ear yelling "say scoop slam, vintage and apex predator again! I want those nerds to get lovely on that twitter thing!"

I can actually picture him telling Cole to "douche it up a little".

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

El Duke posted:

Here Comes the Shovel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTPsZUJtwPw

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Anyone know what Nitro a four-way ladder match with Scott Hall and Bret Hart being two of the participants took place on?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

ChampRamp posted:

Anyone know what Nitro a four-way ladder match with Scott Hall and Bret Hart being two of the participants took place on?

November 8, 1999 had Scott Hall v Goldberg v Sid v Bret Hart for the U.S. belt in a ladder match.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

ChampRamp posted:

November 8th, 1999.

The other two participants were Sid Vicious and Goldberg.

It lasts all of five minutes.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Thanks, just remember missing the end of the match (which apparently didn't last long).

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009
There was a spot a while ago where the ref was out, and Austin made a pin on someone I can't remember, and he used the unconscious ref's hand to count the pin for himself (and call for the bell afterward).

I've only seen this spot that one time. Does anyone remember it happening or know if it happened somewhere else?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Faxman posted:

There was a spot a while ago where the ref was out, and Austin made a pin on someone I can't remember, and he used the unconscious ref's hand to count the pin for himself (and call for the bell afterward).

I've only seen this spot that one time. Does anyone remember it happening or know if it happened somewhere else?

He knocked Vince out and used his hand to count the pin against Foley.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Moose Bigelow posted:

He knocked Vince out and used his hand to count the pin against Foley.

Yeah, this was at Over the Edge '98, where McMahon was guest referee, Patterson was guest ring announcer, and Brisco was guest time keeper.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
I think I've been watching too much wrestling lately. Had a dream Danny Davis was reffing a Cena v. Orton match, and for some reason Davis knocked Cena out and pinned him. vOv No idea why I just posted this but since I just woke up and we're talking about refs...

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Sionistic posted:

I followed the links in the sidebar and discovered this gem. The Sabu tron. Not only the funniest David Flair Style tron but possibly the funniest video on youtube. Poor Sabu. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DINxXthNRRk

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

El Duke posted:

Yeah, this was at Over the Edge '98, where McMahon was guest referee, Patterson was guest ring announcer, and Brisco was guest time keeper.

Thanks. Ever since I saw this spot as a kid, I've always wondered why no one else does this when the ref is out, since it apparently counts.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.
I don't think this has been asked, but how the hell does Sabu keep getting work? After watching the Botchamania series and numerous other videos of his matches, he seems like one of the absolute worst and most inconsistent performers around.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

A Dapper Man posted:

I don't think this has been asked, but how the hell does Sabu keep getting work? After watching the Botchamania series and numerous other videos of his matches, he seems like one of the absolute worst and most inconsistent performers around.

The appeal of Sabu has always been how unpredictable he was, which leads to him also being greatly inconsistent.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you were even a reasonably big name in the mid-late 90s in either WWE, WCW or ECW you could probably get work forever in the indies on your name alone.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Lone Rogue posted:

The appeal of Sabu has always been how unpredictable he was, which leads to him also being greatly inconsistent.

Mikey Whipwreck was on F4W Daily about a month or two ago, and he said that Sabu would often botch on purpose. Sabu's reasoning was that if the matches were real, the moves would be botched sometimes. I don't know if that's really true, or if that was just Sabu's way of saving face.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Grant DaNasty posted:

Mikey Whipwreck was on F4W Daily about a month or two ago, and he said that Sabu would often botch on purpose. Sabu's reasoning was that if the matches were real, the moves would be botched sometimes. I don't know if that's really true, or if that was just Sabu's way of saving face.

That is the funniest loving thing I have heard in a long time.

"Okay Rob, reverse whip into a botched leg lariat."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He's Sabu.

Also I always enjoyed the (occasional) botch in a Sabu match because the character struck me as a guy who just went all out, balls to the wall and it made sense that the crazy poo poo this insane little dude was pulling out would occasionally backfire on him.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Jerusalem posted:

He's Sabu.

Also I always enjoyed the (occasional) botch in a Sabu match because the character struck me as a guy who just went all out, balls to the wall and it made sense that the crazy poo poo this insane little dude was pulling out would occasionally backfire on him.

The occasional botch is fine. But when I see footage of him trying to do that run-jumponchair-to ropes and dive thing 3 or 4 times before saying gently caress it and failing hard at diving over the top, it makes me not want to watch his matches anymore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Think of a Sabu match on the card as a brief physical comedy intermission.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
Sabu is awesome and if you don't enjoy a botch, I don't know what's wrong with you

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Shadalator posted:

Sabu is awesome and if you don't enjoy a botch, I don't know what's wrong with you

I don't enjoy a botch and I don't like Sabu. Or his spiritual brother Rob Van Dam.

If I want comedy I prefer it to be intentional, like Danshoku Dino molesting people. Which means,yes, I derive more enjoyment from Dino putting a man's head in his thong and piledriving him than from Sabu acting like a yardtard.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I don't enjoy a botch and I don't like Sabu. Or his spiritual brother Rob Van Dam.

If I want comedy I prefer it to be intentional, like Danshoku Dino molesting people. Which means,yes, I derive more enjoyment from Dino putting a man's head in his thong and piledriving him than from Sabu acting like a yardtard.

is this a serious post or am I getting trolled here

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

I believe the infamous David Flair Titantron is from a brief run (like 2-3 weeks) that David Flair had in WWE. People found it hilarious at how simple and silly the video was, especially the shot of Ric who just seemed so... disappointed.

Yeah, I seem to remember a particular board taking claim to the David Flair videos but I can't remember the name at all.

Then I made a Shane McMahon one after he took down Legacy all by himself on a episode of Raw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBqQLhYNE_U

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Save Russian Jews posted:

is this a serious post or am I getting trolled here

Danshoku Dino is awesome and if you don't enjoy a man being stuffed inside a G-string and dropped on his head, I don't know what's wrong with you

:nyoron: <3 Japan :nyoron:

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
What are some good Hell in a Cells to try and find? I've only seen the first one, the Mankind/Taker one, and the Batista/HHH Vengeance 05 one.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Stanfield posted:

What are some good Hell in a Cells to try and find? I've only seen the first one, the Mankind/Taker one, and the Batista/HHH Vengeance 05 one.

In addition to those, HHH/Foley from No Way Out 2000 is really great. The six man from Armageddon 2000 is also really good, and something different for the format. Lesnar/Taker from No Mercy 2002 is pretty brutal. And Edge v. Taker at SummerSlam 08 is the last one that I'd go out of my way to see. Some others, like DX v. Legacy, are pretty good, but I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to see them.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Lex Luger's Wikipedia article posted:

After Luger won the WCW Title, he got over as champion and top heel, participating in a controversial racial angle with Ron Simmons where he asked Simmons to join his entourage, but as a chauffeur. It was also around this time he abandoned the Torture Rack and started using the piledriver, which he dubbed the "Attitude Adjustment", as his finisher.

Wonder if Cena knows about this.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Danshoku Dino is awesome and if you don't enjoy a man being stuffed inside a G-string and dropped on his head, I don't know what's wrong with you

Agreeing with you here, but Sabu's appeal (especially in the early days before his body completely fell apart) is that he's loving crazy. The botching on purpose thing makes total sense to me, because it fits with his ideas about what a good match is.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

When the WWF was forced to changed its name, was any consideration give to going back to WWWF?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Orgophlax posted:

When the WWF was forced to changed its name, was any consideration give to going back to WWWF?

None. Especially since they were already calling themselves World Wrestling Federation Entertainment and didn't care for the term "wrestling".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

WeaselWeaz posted:

None. Especially since they were already calling themselves World Wrestling Federation Entertainment and didn't care for the term "wrestling".
But their name still has wrestling in it? :confused: