Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
Dropped it onto a jack stand for about $800 in damages :downsgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Beach Bum posted:

What brakes are those?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Lightbulb Out posted:

What brakes are those?

Im going to take a wild guess and say wilwoods

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kill me now posted:

Im going to take a wild guess and say wilwoods

I specifically rolled the car back a bit to get a good pic of the brand name :smug:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Turned the BMW from this:

Into this:

It's getting sold tomorrow, and the M3 wheels are going up on CL or eBay.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 24, 2010

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Turned the BMW from this:

Into this:

It's getting sold tomorrow, and the M3 wheels are going up on CL or eBay.

Wait did you get it painted a slightly different shade of green or did you just wash it and the camera's white balance changed a little?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

davebo posted:

Wait did you get it painted a slightly different shade of green or did you just wash it and the camera's white balance changed a little?

One was a cell phone camera, the other a regular digital camera, so hence the co,or difference. I actually just swapped the 15 inch wheels back on it to sell it. The pictures were taken a month or two apart, accounting for the different cars in the background.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Went to the dealership and got them to take off my locking lug nuts, to which I lost the key. They did it for free. At first the guy was trying to ask me if I had an appointment, but I think he realized the entire process would take perhaps 90 seconds.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Ditched the lovely runflat tires on my Cooper S, because one of them popped like a balloon.

Replaced the power steering pump fan that was noisy due to a bad bearing. Mini wants nearly $200 for this part. I found their OEM supplier of the fan, and got it from them for half, and mounted it to the bracket. Some bolts and some solder, heat shrink tubing, and some high temperature tape and I saved half, like the cheap jew I am.

sourpuss solstice
Sep 22, 2008
Tested my new tires today! Went exploring along some really overgrown roads. Hauled rear end on some nice off season logging roads in middle of national forest. (I like to pretend I am Ken Block, an unhealthy fantasy I've realized)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Couldn't find a smaller breaker to get these those lug nuts off.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Lightbulb Out posted:

Couldn't find a smaller breaker to get these those lug nuts off.

Maybe it's you?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Maybe it's you?

:iceburn:

:golfclap:

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Replaced a t-bolt clamp on one of my intercooler pipes. It was broken and not applying enough pressure so I had a bad boost leak. Tomorrow I need to put more clamps on hoses that don't have any.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Did an oil change on the Spaceship Subaru and found a ripped boot on a CV axle, I'll have to order a good rebuilt one from the Subaru axle rebuilders in Colorado. When that arrives I'll replace the pads and rotors, since the axle nut has to be removed to change rotors anyway.

Washed the Benzo and reglued some interior wood, this car really hasn't needed much this summer.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Mr.Peabody posted:

Dropped it onto a jack stand for about $800 in damages :downsgun:

I just did that the other day on my truck and put a(nother) hole in the rocker panel :(

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

eddiewalker posted:

Maybe it's you?

Don't judge me.

A shop put those wheels back on with an impact, so it definitely wasn't me.

On my other car that is torqued to 80 ft/lbs I have no problem getting them off with hand tools. :colbert:

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Lightbulb Out posted:

Don't judge me.

A shop put those wheels back on with an impact, so it definitely wasn't me.

On my other car that is torqued to 80 ft/lbs I have no problem getting them off with hand tools. :colbert:

God gave you a foot for a reason.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I did my first autocross at McTinkerson's rotary event.

It smelled like a lawnmower convention with all the high-powered rotaries kicking around. I must've been the slowest (or near-slowest) driver out there, with frequent stupid overbraking attempts and gate misses on the back stretch. On the plus side, I didn't hit any cones and have to get out and exchange insurance information with them.

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck
Cranked my ITB class Rabbit GTI and changed/checked all the fluids in preparation for the Crow Mountain Hill Climb this weekend.

Also renewed my license at the last minute as usual:
License Last Physical Date Last Renew Date Expiration Date
Time Trial Driver 08/26/2009 09/27/2010 09/30/2011

Gotta pick up a 16 foot trailer tomorrow or Thurs and get my car tech inspected Friday for the race Sat & Sun

Anyone near N Alabama come to Scottsboro and watch the scariest loving thing ever (seriously, if you gently caress up it's either plowing into rocks, or sailing into trees). I'll be in the red #47 Rabbit.

http://crowmountainhillclimb.org/entrants/gary-harris/

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
I recently bought a crafstman 1/2" impact and 3/8" air wrench set for $48 bucks so I decided to do some suspension work. I had a set of bilstiens I've been wanting to install and I now have a reason to do so.

(funny note: My dumbass had the spring perch upside down and was wondering why I needed a spring compressor to get the top hats on. Didn't realize this until I was finished and the car had a 5 inch wheel gap on one side.)

New Optima red top to replace a crappy Kragen no-name generic

obligatory illest hellafush JDM picture

I posted this in ClubLexus and didn't realize that it was a mistake until I received suggestions ranging from slamming my suspension, getting spacers and stretching tires. I now hate that place with a passion.

Not Pictured:
-Fuel filter replacement. This drat thing was bullshit and I don't want to talk about it.
-Distributor cap and rotor.
-Fog bulbs replacement. It actually gets pretty drat foggy here in the SF bay area peninsula.

Do do list:
oem blank rotors + pads
junkyard hunting for a fan shroud
50mm spacers + stretched tires on deep dish rimz

Duckjob fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 27, 2010

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Duckjob posted:

I recently bought a crafstman 1/2" impact and 3/8" air wrench set for $48 bucks

Used? Didn't think those could be had for less than 200ish yet?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Piano posted:

Pawn shops. Problem is, they only have those deals when I'm already broke.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Went to change the oil. Started raining while I was under it.

While I was trying to get the filter off, I found out I was downhill from both the building's overflowing gutters and the leaky open-topped dumpster that I had just dumped my used oil in. So the top of me stayed dry but I was laying in a oily garbage river, slowly crushing the filter without spinning it, in the dark.

Got angry and defeated and gave up, tried to get out from under and discovered that the air dam on the front of the car only bends inward, not outward, so my fat belly has made me trapped. Got my wife (standing there watching) to call the cavalry (Casnorf) to bring a jack and a light.

Smoked wet cigarettes on my back under a car in three inches of rancid water until he arrived. He jacked it up to let me out and as soon as I was out, the jack collapsed.

Eventually I triumphed.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Splizwarf posted:

Went to change the oil. Started raining while I was under it.

While I was trying to get the filter off, I found out I was downhill from both the building's overflowing gutters and the leaky open-topped dumpster that I had just dumped my used oil in. So the top of me stayed dry but I was laying in a oily garbage river, slowly crushing the filter without spinning it, in the dark.

Got angry and defeated and gave up, tried to get out from under and discovered that the air dam on the front of the car only bends inward, not outward, so my fat belly has made me trapped. Got my wife (standing there watching) to call the cavalry (Casnorf) to bring a jack and a light.

Smoked wet cigarettes on my back under a car in three inches of rancid water until he arrived. He jacked it up to let me out and as soon as I was out, the jack collapsed.

Eventually I triumphed.

Sounds like a good time, however is it not more prudent to take the used oil to Walmart or Autozoo so it'll be used as bunker oil to feed cargo ships? Also, Harbor Freight sells some great locking oil filter pliers for future endeavors.

billybob88
Dec 29, 2005
I like running cars
Paid the drat thing off!

(piece of crap grand prix)

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices

Piano posted:

I bought them from sears. The tag was marked at $59 but when I was rung up, the total was $48. Not going to argue there

edit: here's a picture of the box:

Click here for the full 537x720 image.

edit 2: Found the link:
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10...=6&blockType=L6

Duckjob fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 28, 2010

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I need to get my grandfather's ancient air compressor working again. My uncle gave it to me and I haven't touched it since it started living in my garage.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Sounds like a good time, however is it not more prudent to take the used oil to Walmart or Autozoo so it'll be used as bunker oil to feed cargo ships? Also, Harbor Freight sells some great locking oil filter pliers for future endeavors.

No room for anything but a strap socket bar or a plate, and the plates usually slip and injure me. You have a point with the oil. Is that all it gets used for?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Splizwarf posted:

No room for anything but a strap socket bar or a plate, and the plates usually slip and injure me. You have a point with the oil. Is that all it gets used for?

This wrench may be the one he's talking about. Even if it's not, its awesome: http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-3-jaw-adjustable-oil-filter-wrench-99629.html

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

This wrench may be the one he's talking about. Even if it's not, its awesome: http://www.harborfreight.com/universal-3-jaw-adjustable-oil-filter-wrench-99629.html

I have one but it's a bastard to get set up right in a tight space.

I use one of these. If I'd brought a light with me in the first place, it would have worked nicely like usual. This will take off any filter I've run into and it can go anywhere.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

I have one but it's a bastard to get set up right in a tight space.

I use one of these. If I'd brought a light with me in the first place, it would have worked nicely like usual. This will take off any filter I've run into and it can go anywhere.

I didn't know how it worked at first. After looking at it, and figuring out how it worked, I literally jaw-dropped at how drat clever that is.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I could have used that working on a goons car the other day. The oil filter is in a lovely spot on the AHU TDIs. Luckily my extremely strong man hands saved the day.

ninja edit: still gonna buy one so thanks for the heads-up.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

I could have used that working on a goons car the other day. The oil filter is in a lovely spot on the AHU TDIs. Luckily my extremely strong man hands saved the day.

ninja edit: still gonna buy one so thanks for the heads-up.

Pep Boys carries them. Sorry for turning this into the Tools! thread. :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Decided to rotate my tires since it's been about 7k. Should have done them about 2k ago.

Didn't think too much of the three or four drops on the driveway - wait a sec, I don't usually park on that side.. so this is a bit more than it should be leaking from the timing cover.

Well, my left strut is worn to death, and that little dribble of oil isn't just from the crank seal anymore.. it's a gentle burble there, ok.. but also seems to be coming from the oil pump seal, and harder from the timing cover.

All in about 3,000 miles. gently caress me and my winter beater.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Finally got ambitious and took the bed off my lowrider so i could start bodywork. I was dreading it because it had a platform built into the rear of the truck and since i didn't put it there i didn't know how it was secured. Luckily it was easier to take out than it looked. The truck cap was held on by eight bolts so the impact took care of that and the body bolts in the bed came right out no problem. I was amazed everything went very smooth so all i have to do now is get safelite to come out and remove my windshield. I need a new one so they are going to pull the old one for body/paint and install the new one when it's done.

Here's what a walk through truck looks like without its bed.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Put the cover on the Shelby which is in the garage, because we're supposed to get a typhoon or something today.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Toucan Sam posted:

Finally got ambitious and took the bed off my lowrider

I really need to do that with my IH pickup. I want to notch the frame so I can get some more drop out of it.

Instead, I filled it with more couches.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Duckjob posted:

I recently bought a crafstman 1/2" impact and 3/8" air wrench set for $48 bucks so I decided to do some suspension work. I had a set of bilstiens I've been wanting to install and I now have a reason to do so.
Did you put on the "gixxer_drew" Bilstein/Hyperco home made coilover setup? I put that setup on my 1995 SC400 almost two years ago and it has been pretty awesome.

If you're messing with brakes anyway consider the 95 LS400 front brake upgrade. You just need a set of 95+ LS400 calipers, rotors and pads. It bolts on except that the dust shield needs to be cut or bent. The 95+ LS400 has rotors that are an inch larger and the calipers have four pistons and the caliper bracket is part of the caliper. I think you might also need the caliper bolts from the LS400. I don't remember. I think I paid something like $100 for a set of used calipers and rotors, then had the rotors machined.

You need to have bigger than stock wheels (95 LS400 16" wheels fit, not all 17" aftermarket wheels fit, most 18" are fine). I have a set of 16" LS400 wheels for my snow tires and some 17" Konigs for the rest of the year.

Is your SC300 a five-speed? Congrats if it is. I want one of those five-speed conversion kits for my 400 really bad, and I have the money for it. The previous owner of the car even converted the car to a five-speed. He swapped it using a custom bell housing adapter he had made, blew up two Tacoma clutches and swapped the car back to an auto trans. The five-speed pedal box is still there, the clutch master cylinder is still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

trouser chili posted:

I really need to do that with my IH pickup. I want to notch the frame so I can get some more drop out of it.

Instead, I filled it with more couches.

Wow. I think my parents got rid of a set of couches just like those.

In 1987.