Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Good
Aug 9, 2009

I've never seen so many men wasted so badly.

greasyhands posted:

Yes, follow this guys advice. It's extremely easy to parlay 1k into a milllliiion dollars if you learn how to trade options! so easy, why didnt I think of it??

I think he's just trying to say that you have more buying power with options. But yea, go ahead speculate with some long out of the money calls.

Anyways, buying NVDA at $9 turned out to be a wise decision.

The Good fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kru
Oct 5, 2003

greasyhands posted:

Yes, follow this guys advice. It's extremely easy to parlay 1k into a milllliiion dollars if you learn how to trade options! so easy, why didnt I think of it??

Because you are dumb I guess :stare:

If you have a limited amount of capital, then the margin on an options trade will provide the most bang for your buck in the shortest time - no more, no less.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

kru posted:

Because you are dumb I guess :stare:

If you have a limited amount of capital, then the margin on an options trade will provide the most bang for your buck in the shortest time - no more, no less.

You give terrible advice based on terrible reasoning and use terms like 'margin' incorrectly.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Plastic Jesus posted:

You give terrible advice based on terrible reasoning and use terms like 'margin' incorrectly.

he meant leverage right guys?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
^^ I pretty sure he meant profit margin, although that isn't the best use.

There's more than one context from it but yes, 1-2k will pretty much take you nowhere unless you "punt" repeatedly and win to the tune of multiple "baggers".

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

^^ I pretty sure he meant profit margin, although that isn't the best use.

There's more than one context from it but yes, 1-2k will pretty much take you nowhere unless you "punt" repeatedly and win to the tune of multiple "baggers".

With my demo account, I started with a realistic amount ($1000). If I manage to obtain 20 pips a day for a few months, which is definitely obtainable, I should climb the ladder rather quickly, wouldn't I? I am quite new to this, but it shouldn't take terribly long if I know what I am doing. Correct?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

xzoto1 posted:

With my demo account, I started with a realistic amount ($1000). If I manage to obtain 20 pips a day for a few months, which is definitely obtainable, I should climb the ladder rather quickly, wouldn't I? I am quite new to this, but it shouldn't take terribly long if I know what I am doing. Correct?

If you can make 400 pips/month you should be charging 2 and 20.

BTW there's a forex thread, though its traffic is bubble/bust (think CHF/JPY). Mostly it's filled with people asking to become members of a site with less posting than the thread itself. That said, I like reading about forex people's thoughts and would like to see more posting there.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Plastic Jesus posted:

I meant profit margin as you could have gathered from my post!

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system
Why the hate on WDC recently?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dlink posted:

Why the hate on WDC recently?
If you worked in an industry were cost/performance (in this case, $/GB) were falling 50% every 2 years, a space that has been completely commoditized by Hitachi on the laptop side and Seagate on the desktop side, wouldn't you be worried too?

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

Josh Lyman posted:

If you worked in an industry were cost/performance (in this case, $/GB) were falling 50% every 2 years, a space that has been completely commoditized by Hitachi on the laptop side and Seagate on the desktop side, wouldn't you be worried too?

Ah, i was under the impression that they produce the best HDDs amongst major HDD producers.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

dlink posted:

Ah, i was under the impression that they produce the best HDDs amongst major HDD producers.

And I was under the impression that SDDs and other flash type memory are quickly expanding, while massively huge plate-based HDDs are quickly going the way of the dinosaur.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

ayekappy posted:

And I was under the impression that SDDs and other flash type memory are quickly expanding, while massively huge plate-based HDDs are quickly going the way of the dinosaur.
Not really.

SDDs are much faster and consume less energy, so they're popular in high-end laptops and gaming systems. But they're also very expensive and very small; an 80GiB SDD costs $200, while a 1500GB HDD costs $80.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
bidu - 100 P/E
sohu - 19
sina - 7

They are all in the same space. I know baidu is killing the others in terms of volume, but its not like there is any sort of barrier to gain market share or anything.

Also compared to

goog - 22
yhoo - 23
msft (I know not really comparable but still) - 11.6

And even our recently crazy tech companies

nflx - 66
amzn - 65
aapl - 22

I wouldn't short Bidu even if i could get the shares, don't want to get in front of that train, but holy poo poo I can't believe how hot it is.

I might buy some SINA though on a pullback.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
BIDU at a 32 billion market cap is getting a bit pricey. Not that anything in the nasdaq could be considered anything else. I thought the nasdaq was bubbley back when CRM was 90. It's downright frothy here.

NFLX and MELI are really the only momentum growth companies that I'd go long and feel somewhat comfortable in. MELI probably more so than NFLX.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jack posted:

BIDU at a 32 billion market cap is getting a bit pricey. Not that anything in the nasdaq could be considered anything else. I thought the nasdaq was bubbley back when CRM was 90. It's downright frothy here.

NFLX and MELI are really the only momentum growth companies that I'd go long and feel somewhat comfortable in. MELI probably more so than NFLX.
NFLX feels a bit long in the tooth. I would like to see it pull back 8% before jumping back in.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

NFLX feels a bit long in the tooth. I would like to see it pull back 8% before jumping back in.

I agree that it's over-extended, though I'm not sure what it would take for me to get in. The only clear play I can see right now is selling any long stock position (if you have one) and buying long-dated ATM calls.

Of course, the entire loving market is baffling me right now so perhaps I'm not the best source of advice.

Eco RI
Nov 5, 2008

NOM NOM NOM OM NOM

Anyone looking at playing XRTX earnings next week? I'm going to try another straddle/strangle depending on where the price might be on Wednesday afternoon.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

EDU today :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Don't ignore enterprise or anything, which was once dominated by Seagate but has since lost ground to WD.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
I am glad I have a demo account. I "predicted" the Euro to continue to drop but it's on a nice uptrend. I basically lost everything I gained, haha.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

xzoto1 posted:

I am glad I have a demo account. I "predicted" the Euro to continue to drop but it's on a nice uptrend. I basically lost everything I gained, haha.

EUR/USD or EUR/???

USD is going to go down longer unless something amazing happens with the dollar supply. EUR or YEN is the safe money!

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Dr. Jackal posted:

EUR/USD or EUR/???

USD is going to go down longer unless something amazing happens with the dollar supply. EUR or YEN is the safe money!

Yeah they haven't been doing massive QE in the Eurozone or anything. What's PIIGS again? Oh nm, old news. Maybe I'm just looking at the weekly too much.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

ayekappy posted:

Yeah they haven't been doing massive QE in the Eurozone or anything. What's PIIGS again? Oh nm, old news. Maybe I'm just looking at the weekly too much.

Who's the 2nd I? I was pointing out EUR and YEN is viewed as a currency to run from the dollar not that they were actually safer, if I wanted to argue that we should be talking about shorting the dollar and long on commodities (like corn?). Personally, I am in for stocks.

f2a
Feb 17, 2005

the pound is stronger than the dolla, holla

Dr. Jackal posted:

Who's the 2nd I?

Portugal/Ireland/Italy/Greece/Spain

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
..Nothing to see here, move along.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The markets have been rigged for over a year probably, I don't know why anyone would keep a sizable amount of money in them.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

abagofcheetos posted:

The markets have been rigged for over a year probably, I don't know why anyone would keep a sizable amount of money in them.
Thank you for your insightful and reasonable contribution to this thread.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Even worse, NASDAQ is DKing all trades that took place more than 15% from the NBBO. There are going to be some very angry people somewhere.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Janin posted:

Thank you for your insightful and reasonable contribution to this thread.
How would you describe that Bloomberg screen, then?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

abagofcheetos posted:

How would you describe that Bloomberg screen, then?

A reason to always use limit orders.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Hobologist posted:

A reason to always use limit orders.

You aren't going to get a fill when a stock drops 90% in a minute.

However I have no idea how a hiccup in 1 stock is indicative of wide-spread price fixing, or why the core basis of retirement savings should be changed because of it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Plastic Jesus posted:

However I have no idea how a hiccup in 1 stock is indicative of wide-spread price fixing, or why the core basis of retirement savings should be changed because of it.

I think Hobo was saying use limit orders to be sure you don't get hosed by something random like this when you are doing your regular buying/selling.

Although I'm tempted to set up a few standing limit buy orders on big stable companies at like 50% or less of their current values to catch another market wide flash crash. Although didn't those trades get DQ'd? I made something like 15% on a relatively small order that I managed to squeeze in, which held up.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Plastic Jesus posted:

Because the market is broken? How is this is any way evidence contrary. Remember, the SEC already "fixed" the flash crash problem. Clearly the SEC lacks either the ability or will to properly govern the markets, and a market without oversight is not one to rest your retirement on.

What kind of bizarro world are we in where we are discussing trading strategies around market breakdown?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What they should do is let every single trade stand.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

abagofcheetos posted:

Because the market is broken? How is this is any way evidence contrary. Remember, the SEC already "fixed" the flash crash problem. Clearly the SEC lacks either the ability or will to properly govern the markets, and a market without oversight is not one to rest your retirement on.

What kind of bizarro world are we in where we are discussing trading strategies around market breakdown?

It was 1 dip in 1 stock for 1 minute and I have no idea what you're on about so I'm just going to stare uneasily.

:stare:

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I guess you forgot about May 6?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

The HFT trades get DK'd also. I'm more concerned with the fact that the SEC has no loving clue what the hell is going on. Their statement about the flash crash was hysterical.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What do you mean the SEC has no loving clue what is going on

SEC Chairman Mary Schapiro posted:

"I think they will feel confident, and they'll feel confident that the SEC and the CFTC staffs have a very deep understanding of the markets as a result of this inquiry, and that we have some ideas on how to go forward."
See! Wait, it flash crashed again? Those "circuit breakers" didn't work? poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

abagofcheetos posted:

I guess you forgot about May 6?

This isn't the slightest bit similar to May 6th. Again, it was 1 stock mispriced for 1 minute and it corrected itself almost immediately (my broker never even got a print below 41.50 so it wasn't even a pervasive dip). It was certainly a fuckup of some sort, but a gently caress up is the exact opposite of a gamed market, isn't it?