Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I have hit some sort of wall lately in my photography. It's purely a hobby thing for me (with the rare "oh hey come shoot this DJ Party thing and we'll give you $100"). I think that every one of my pictures lately is objectively terrible and I want to sell all my gear and never do it again.

I could pay off my LASIK, credit cards and about 6 months of my car payments if I dumped my gear.

I don't know. I can't get motivated to take pictures of anything, and when I do go out, they're bad. Blah. I'm just being a whiny babby.

I don't really want to do that, but sometimes I dream about it.

And this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Then sell all your gear and pick up a cheap film slr, only take pictures when the mood really strikes you.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

dunkman posted:

I don't know. I can't get motivated to take pictures of anything, and when I do go out, they're bad. Blah. I'm just being a whiny babby.

Yeah... that "Dammit, I suck" phase is pretty hard to get through.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I can't imagine shooting with a film camera. I mean, I did it in high school for a photo class, but now it doesn't seem like something I'd do.

I'm just not going to take any photos for a month and see how I feel after that.

I am definitely, definitely past gearfaggotry.

And by past, I mean...in a year:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
The awesome part of the gearfaggotry phase is that if you're loving broke as hell it only lasts for 3 days while you read about $6,000 Hasselblad lenses and sulk.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

The awesome part of the gearfaggotry phase is that if you're loving broke as hell it only lasts for 3 days while you read about $6,000 Hasselblad lenses and sulk.

yeah my big splurge was a chinese battery grip and a used 55-200 non-vr.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

dunkman posted:

I can't imagine shooting with a film camera. I mean, I did it in high school for a photo class, but now it doesn't seem like something I'd do.

I'm just not going to take any photos for a month and see how I feel after that.

I am definitely, definitely past gearfaggotry.

And by past, I mean...in a year:

At least you can take a decent photo of your gear. It's kind of poignant, to see the typical terrible photo of the world's finest gear that people have on flickr.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm trying hard to avoid falling into the gear faggotry hole, because that'd be really expensive. Because I'm still eyeing hard towards a FF camera, and I do really want it, and it is going to be loving expensive.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

dunkman posted:

I have hit some sort of wall lately in my photography. It's purely a hobby thing for me (with the rare "oh hey come shoot this DJ Party thing and we'll give you $100"). I think that every one of my pictures lately is objectively terrible and I want to sell all my gear and never do it again.

I could pay off my LASIK, credit cards and about 6 months of my car payments if I dumped my gear.

I don't really want to do that, but sometimes I dream about it.

And this:

Seconding 'get a film SLR'. It's great fun, it makes you plan your shots, and the little gear there is (film and manual lenses) is cheap.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

It's easy to geek out about cheap gear too. What's the best upgrade I can get for $xxx, how little can I spend on a ___________, etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

How long of a warranty does Henry's offer? Some guy is trying to sell me a D200 that still has two years of warranty from Henry's. I'm a little skeptical unless Henry's has some kind of 5 year warranty and he bought it in 2008 or something, at which point they might have still sold the D200 I guess. I don't know :v:

Anyway, the two years warranty along with a price that's only $25 more than what I see D80s going for is making me a little cautious. I'm going to go take a look at it this week so I can tell if it's a dud but v:)v

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

This is cool. Ability to change focus on an image AFTER you've taken it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/23/adobe-shows-off-plenoptic-lenses-that-let-you-refocus-an-image-a/

dunkman posted:

You literally own exactly the same gear as me. NICE WORK BRO

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Fists Up posted:

This is cool. Ability to change focus on an image AFTER you've taken it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/23/adobe-shows-off-plenoptic-lenses-that-let-you-refocus-an-image-a/

I have to wonder how this affects sharpness etc.

Regardless, that is loving cool.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I think it helps to take a break from whatever you normally do photo wise. Ditching everything and shooting film is not a bad idea at all.

When I get stuck I go shoot film and it helps. When I get sick of doing stuff in the dark in the studio I go outside and shoot something else. I think changing the process a little helps you get perspective on what you were doing before.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

Yeah... that "Dammit, I suck" phase is pretty hard to get through.
I can't afford much gear, but I went through my HDR phase back in the point and shoot days and am hitting "damnit, I suck" early.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got lucky, I started reading here before I hit the HDR phase.

So now I'll never have one.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

xzzy posted:

I got lucky, I started reading here before I hit the HDR phase.

So now I'll never have one.

I like to take HDR photos and improve the tonality of the images and show them to people and when they say they like the photo, inform them that it is HDR and then very calmly, reach out and pick their nose with my little finger and make them eat whatever I dig out.

EDIT: also, it kinda pisses me off that people hate certain things, but have so much trouble identifying what they supposedly hate so much, unless it's all sliders to the right extreme.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 27, 2010

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

dunkman posted:

What strap you got?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Helmacron posted:

I like to take HDR photos and improve the tonality of the images and show them to people and when they say they like the photo, inform them that it is HDR and then very calmly, reach out and pick their nose with my little finger and make them eat whatever I dig out.

EDIT: also, it kinda pisses me off that people hate certain things, but have so much trouble identifying what they supposedly hate so much, unless it's all sliders to the right extreme.

I hate you and your god drat sliders. :argh:

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

ease posted:

What strap you got?

It's custom made out of an old seatbelt with felt-like embroidery down one side of it in 3 colors, orange white and blue.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Being a photographer is loving awesome.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Whitezombi posted:

I hate you and your god drat sliders. :argh:

I get annoyed at sliders too, it's like every time I turn around, another restaurant has more tiny hamburgers on their menu.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Why do people care so much about straps?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

guidoanselmi posted:

Why do people care so much about straps?

Because they keep your camera attached to you!

I feel like disaster is looming whenever I walk around with a camera that isn't strapped to me. The woman I assist usually shoots without one, and I don't know how she does it.

EDIT: I just got a sweet wrist tether strap for my Contax G. Now the safety is just as light and unobtrusive as the rest of the camera!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Why do people care so much about their clothes?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the deal with airline peanuts?

e: Also some straps from the 70s and 80s are loving terrible. My Mamiya came with this plastic thing with spikes that digs into your neck at the very top of the strap. Right out of the Spanish inquisition.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

McMadCow posted:

Because they keep your camera attached to you!

I feel like disaster is looming whenever I walk around with a camera that isn't strapped to me. The woman I assist usually shoots without one, and I don't know how she does it.

EDIT: I just got a sweet wrist tether strap for my Contax G. Now the safety is just as light and unobtrusive as the rest of the camera!

Kai does it all the time in DigitalRev videos, it's so nerve wracking when he's shooting with one camera and just tucks a second one casually under his arm.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
A nice camera strap is right up there next to having a lens with a red ring on the end of it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
If I'm not wearing my camera all day I don't see a reason to use a strap.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Sometimes I use two straps. One on the body, the other on the lens.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

What's the deal with airline peanuts?

e: Also some straps from the 70s and 80s are loving terrible. My Mamiya came with this plastic thing with spikes that digs into your neck at the very top of the strap. Right out of the Spanish inquisition.

I saw some great ones with rainbows and stuff on them at the camera show I went to earlier this year.

Actually, my two Op-Tech straps just arrived from Adorama this afternoon. They're smaller than the one I meant to get, but will do just fine for rangefinder and Sony NEX. They're really nice; my boss has one for the 5D2 and it feels like wearing a cloud.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
My K10's current strap is just a length of cheap brown woolen yarn that I tripled back over itself and knotted off at the lugs. gently caress year

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

ease posted:

A nice camera strap is right up there next to having a lens with a red ring on the end of it.

I miss my 5d strap, I used it till it was nice and worn in and comfy on my wrist. My 5d2 one is all creased and stiff. I hate it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This is kind of amusing

Basically, someone on Reddit posts this link to a poorly done HDR. The guy freaks out and sends him this message:

quote:

"Dear Mr. xxxxxx:
Please note that you have published a work I authored (the untitled photograph which you apparently think is "tacky") on reddit.com (http://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/djp8s/i_was_called_a_dick_for_pointing_out_this_is_not/). I have reserved rights to said photograph. Using my work without my permission and attribution is an infringement on my copyright.
Now, as you failed to receive permission to use the Work and did not receive permission to make or distribute copies, [including electronic copies,] you have infringed my rights under 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $150,000 as set forth in Section 504(c)(2).
I demand that you immediately cease the use and distribution of my photograph, and remove it from https://www.reddit.com . Further, you are to desist from reproducing my Photograph or any other infringement of my rights in the future.
Also, please note, I am an attorney and intend to pursue all rights available at law if the photograph is not removed with 7 days. Otherwise, when you return from your little school trip, there will be a federal law suit waiting for you in Florida.
On a side note, maybe you should think before you are intentionally rude to people you don't know. You might think the internet is anonymous, but I certainly have garnered all the information I need to file my suit. Take the photo down"

Of course, he posts the thing to reddit, and now that photo has 70+ negative comments (though it looks like he may be deleting them) and 25k views.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

This is kind of amusing

Basically, someone on Reddit posts this link to a poorly done HDR. The guy freaks out and sends him this message:

Of course, he posts the thing to reddit, and now that photo has 70+ negative comments (though it looks like he may be deleting them) and 25k views.

I love how the comments on the photo go from "Great shot! This gets an AMAZING ART AWARD!! GOOD JOB!!" to "Hey look! Some asshat is learning how to fake HDRs."

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Don't sue me bro.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to get a bunch of these printed up. It's like mad-libs.

Dear [name]:

It has come to my attention that you have made an unauthorized use of my copyrighted work entitled [name of work] (the "Work") in the preparation of a work derived therefrom. I have reserved all rights in the Work, first published in [date], [and have registered copyright therein]. Your work entitled [name of infringing work] is essentially identical to the Work and clearly used the Work as its basis. [Give a few examples that illustrate direct copying.]

As you neither asked for nor received permission to use the Work as the basis for [name of infringing work] nor to make or distribute copies, including electronic copies, of same, I believe you have willfully infringed my rights under 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq. and could be liable for statutory damages as high as $150,000 as set forth in Section 504(c)(2) therein.

I demand that you immediately cease the use and distribution of all infringing works derived from the Work, and all copies, including electronic copies, of same, that you deliver to me, if applicable, all unused, undistributed copies of same, or destroy such copies immediately and that you desist from this or any other infringement of my rights in the future. If I have not received an affirmative response from you by [date give them about 2 weeks] indicating that you have fully complied with these requirements, I shall take further action against you.

Very truly yours,

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many stupid people you could get with that.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I didn't realize how bad the HDR problem really was until I looked into the ghettos of Flickr and found this group

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hdr/ :gonk:

It's like all these people are shifted or see in a different type of color spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

geeves posted:

I didn't realize how bad the HDR problem really was until I looked into the ghettos of Flickr and found this group

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hdr/ :gonk:

It's like all these people are shifted or see in a different type of color spectrum.

I think these people hate shadows or any kind of darkness, and think Fuji Velvia is too subtle.