Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Halp! I'm knitting Bitterroot as my first lace pattern and I'm confused about the instructions.

It says

quote:

Set-up Row [RS]: K3, place marker, yo, k3, yo, place marker, k1, place marker, yo, k3, yo, place marker, k3. 17 sts.

Next Row [WS]: K3, p to last 3 sts, k3.

Important: When working Charts A, B, C, E, and F, work as follows:

RS Rows: K3, slip marker, work chart row (odd-numbered row) to next marker, slip marker, k center st, slip marker, work chart row to last marker, slip marker, k3.

WS Rows: K3, slip marker, p to last 3 sts (even-numbered row of chart), slip marker, k3.

Work Rows 1-8 of Chart A once, then work Rows 9-28 three times. 153 sts.

So, I did the set-up row and it looks like I'm ready to move onto Chart A...

But where the hell do I start? Do I start at Row 1? Why does it have 7 stitches when I have 17 on my needles? What the hell do I do?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Shnooks posted:

But where the hell do I start? Do I start at Row 1? Why does it have 7 stitches when I have 17 on my needles? What the hell do I do?!

I think you're meant to knit those five stitches between the markers. So anywhere where you yo k3 yo, that is where you do row 1 of Chart A. The k3s should be worked plain. Row one of chart A only requires five stitches--two of those yarn overs do not have a matching decrease.

If I'm totally wrong, someone feel free to correct me, but that's what I would expect.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

FelicityGS posted:

I think you're meant to knit those five stitches between the markers. So anywhere where you yo k3 yo, that is where you do row 1 of Chart A. The k3s should be worked plain. Row one of chart A only requires five stitches--two of those yarn overs do not have a matching decrease.

If I'm totally wrong, someone feel free to correct me, but that's what I would expect.

This is what I was thinking it was supposed to be:

K3, [work chart], slip marker, K, slip marker [work chart], K3

But I end up with not enough stitches at least somewhere.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Shnooks posted:

This is what I was thinking it was supposed to be:

K3, [work chart], slip marker, K, slip marker [work chart], K3

But I end up with not enough stitches at least somewhere.

k3, slip marker, yo, ssk, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, yo, slip marker, k1, slip marker, yo, ssk, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, yo, slip marker, k3.

The part in bold is row 1 of chart A, which knits 5 stitches, but because of the yarn overs you end up with 7 stitches. So you have your set up row which is:

3 st - marker - 5 st - marker - 1 st - marker - 5 sts - marker - 3 sts = 17 sts

and that turns into

3 st - marker - 7 sts - marker - 1 st - market - 7 sts - marker - 3 sts = 21 sts

... which adds up because in row 3 of chart A you knit 7 stitches and end up with 9 because of the yarn overs.

Hope that helps!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

elbow posted:

k3, slip marker, yo, ssk, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, yo, slip marker, k1, slip marker, yo, ssk, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, yo, slip marker, k3.

The part in bold is row 1 of chart A, which knits 5 stitches, but because of the yarn overs you end up with 7 stitches. So you have your set up row which is:

3 st - marker - 5 st - marker - 1 st - marker - 5 sts - marker - 3 sts = 17 sts

and that turns into

3 st - marker - 7 sts - marker - 1 st - market - 7 sts - marker - 3 sts = 21 sts

... which adds up because in row 3 of chart A you knit 7 stitches and end up with 9 because of the yarn overs.

Hope that helps!

I definitely get it now. Now I can continue on!

Thanks

Klams Jam
Sep 8, 2007
I have to share my pain.

Moths have got into my winter woolies box. I could cry. The one nice thing I've knitted for my self - a gorgeous purple rowen wool scarf? Infested. My favourite gloves? Full of holes. Hideous scratchy wool scarf my gran got me for Christmas? Untouched.

gently caress you moths. gently caress you.

I've washed as much as I can and woolies I can't wash are in the freezer. What else can I do? Of course I discover this JUST before I want to go to bed after a lovely Monday of rain, cold and meetings...

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Klams Jam posted:

I have to share my pain.

Moths have got into my winter woolies box. I could cry. The one nice thing I've knitted for my self - a gorgeous purple rowen wool scarf? Infested. My favourite gloves? Full of holes. Hideous scratchy wool scarf my gran got me for Christmas? Untouched.

gently caress you moths. gently caress you.

I've washed as much as I can and woolies I can't wash are in the freezer. What else can I do? Of course I discover this JUST before I want to go to bed after a lovely Monday of rain, cold and meetings...

Oh no! I have no advice really since this has never happened to me but oh my god, that is awful. :(

Maybe get a cedar box or something and some moth balls for future storage? Gah, I should probably do that too.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Oh no! I have no advice really since this has never happened to me but oh my god, that is awful. :(

Maybe get a cedar box or something and some moth balls for future storage? Gah, I should probably do that too.

I hang up cedar blocks in closets and put cedar rounds or balls into drawers and storage containers. They do need to be refreshed every year or so, but better than the little buggers eating your favorite woolies.

I'm in need of a decent men's scarf pattern. I looked through ravelry but there aren't too many(free patterns) that caught my interest other than this one because it doesn't appear to be too bulky. I'd love any suggestions if you've got 'em.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Windy posted:

I'm in need of a decent men's scarf pattern. I looked through ravelry but there aren't too many(free patterns) that caught my interest other than this one because it doesn't appear to be too bulky. I'd love any suggestions if you've got 'em.

This is the exact same scarf I knit my boyfriend last season, with a seed stitch border to keep it flat. Took forever to finish because you keep switching up stitches, but it was easy enough. He likes it :)

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I wish my boyfriend would let me knit hims stuff, but I think he's embarrassed by my "grandma crafts".

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I've done two of the Cerus Scarves for my boyfriend and my dad and gotten positive responses. It's a pretty easy pattern but lengthwise projects always feel like they take longer.

Since we're hosting Kaffe Fassett on Friday my boss decided to rush order his Colorscape Chunky yarns and pattern books and has commissioned us all to make a project from it so she can have a Kaffe themed window display in time (this right after the impromptu Japanese themed one she threw together for Takako from Habu).

This is what she picked for me to do.

It doesn't look like too hard a pattern (basically a big circle) and I'm flattered she has confidence that I can do it by Friday, but still...eek. Carpal tunnel here I come.

Drei fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 28, 2010

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Drei posted:

Since we're hosting Kaffe Fassett on Friday my boss decided to rush order his Colorscape Chunky yarns and pattern books and has commissioned us all to make a project from it so she can have a Kaffe themed window display in time (this right after the impromptu Japanese themed one she threw together for Takako from Habu).

This is what she picked for me to do.

It doesn't look like too hard a pattern (basically a big circle) and I'm flattered she has confidence that I can do it by Friday, but still...eek. Carpal tunnel here I come.

I wish you speed, no carpal tunnel, and best of luck.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.

Windy posted:

I'm doing this one in alpaca for the red scarf project, and it is so squishy and nice I'm going to do another for me and another for my husband when I finish it.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

That cable scarf is lovely, but I'm just so clumsy and slow with cables. I think I'm going to try the Cerus scarf since it looks like I can whip it up faster than the first one I linked. I just need to pick up some longer needles since my only pair is half the recommended length. I might try the other one for my brother since I'll have right up until Christmas to try and finish.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
I'm going crazy trying to stick with knitting. I taught myself to crochet just a few months ago, and I'm really good at it already. However, I wish I had learned to knit first, because I'm having a much harder time. It's really frustrating when you want to learn, and spend two hours doing two rows of a k2p2 hat, and it's full of mistakes and saggy stitches. I can finish a crocheted hat in that same amount of time, and it looks great.

I guess I just need to vent. I must still be in the learning curve stage....right?
:smith:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

It's really frustrating when you want to learn, and spend two hours doing two rows of a k2p2 hat...

I promise it won't always take this long. Eventually you'll get the motion down and be whipping through projects like mad.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

I'm going crazy trying to stick with knitting. I taught myself to crochet just a few months ago, and I'm really good at it already. However, I wish I had learned to knit first, because I'm having a much harder time. It's really frustrating when you want to learn, and spend two hours doing two rows of a k2p2 hat, and it's full of mistakes and saggy stitches. I can finish a crocheted hat in that same amount of time, and it looks great.

I guess I just need to vent. I must still be in the learning curve stage....right?
:smith:

Just give them a little tug after each stitch, especially when going from a knit to purl. Just snug, not too tight. And the one thing I found when I started was that ribbing (and eventually cables if you get to them) is that it takes a couple rows for it to start looking "right". Just don't lose count and keep going.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
I will try that, thank you. I will just keep at it. It's so tempting to take the easy way out and just crochet all the time, but I looove the look of knitted garments so much more.

Thanks to everyone that posts their projects here, it's really inspirational.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I need a sweater pattern.

A very, very tiny sweater pattern.

One with sleeves about an inch long, the sweater itself about three inches long, and the sweater two inches across.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I need a sweater pattern.

A very, very tiny sweater pattern.

One with sleeves about an inch long, the sweater itself about three inches long, and the sweater two inches across.

Have you looked at the miniature sweater patterns on Ravelry, like for Christmas ornaments? I did a few small ones for my son's teddy bears, but they're much bigger than the ones you seem to need.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I would just do a teeny-tiny top down raglan; you could take a regular pattern and adapt it really easily. Basically, you'd just have to decide how large of a circumference you want for the neck, then increase stitches for the raglan until the armholes are big enough, and voila! Mini-sweater!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Cheers!

Even has instructions for a mini coat hanger.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
I think I just needed some encouragement! I worked on this yesterday for about an hour and a half, and got all of this done.

I made a few mistakes...and fixed them! Something I couldn't do properly before. Thanks, knittas. :neckbeard:

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
I just started this pattern today: Andrea's Shawl

I'm making the largest size. Nothing like a gigantic shawl for my first knitting project in many months! :woop:

The pattern starts with the edging, minus the very outermost bit which I believe may be crocheted on after the fact (I don't read ahead on patterns so don't quote me). You knit the edging part end to end and then pick up a million stitches to start knitting the lace section. So I have a question. In order to start the edging, you're supposed to provisionally cast on 7 stitches. I was too lazy to do a provisional cast on, so I just did a regular cast on and started knitting away...is that going to screw me later?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Aardvarklet posted:

I'm making the largest size. Nothing like a gigantic shawl for my first knitting project in many months! :woop:

The pattern starts with the edging, minus the very outermost bit which I believe may be crocheted on after the fact (I don't read ahead on patterns so don't quote me). You knit the edging part end to end and then pick up a million stitches to start knitting the lace section. So I have a question. In order to start the edging, you're supposed to provisionally cast on 7 stitches. I was too lazy to do a provisional cast on, so I just did a regular cast on and started knitting away...is that going to screw me later?

Oh, that's a cute one!

As to the provisional cast on...it sort of depends? Sometimes the whole point of the provisional is to make it so you don't have to pick up stitches along that edge, they're just already there. When you pick up stitches along a cast on (or cast off, or whatever) edge, there's kind of a small ridge of stitches along the wrong side. If that doesn't bother you or anything you can just pick up stitches along that edge and go on with your life!

If you're meant to graft the provisional cast on edge to some other bit of live stitches, that's another thing. In that case I might just try to pick out the CO edge.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Aardvarklet posted:

depends on what you're supposed to do with the provisional cast on. if you're supposed to do a tab, not really. if you're supposed to pick up the stitches to complete an opposite edge, yes.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Sup Andrea's Shawl buddy. I'm trying to use up 3 different types of lace yarn and hoping I have enough to do the medium size. I'm using a fluffy cashmere silk lace for the edgings, a variegated teal merino silk for the body, and a purple silk for the stripes. I have no idea how it will turn out but yay stashbusting!

The provisional cast on is for doing the top edging at the very end (basically the edge that goes along your shoulders and neck (which is knit, by the way, no crocheting involved. Basically with the provisional cast on you will end up with two sets of seven live stitches on either end, so you knit the first set, pick up and knit across the top edge, and then knit the other set so it's seamless on either end. I think having to pick up one of the stitches is going kind of pull the fabric around that corner, so if you haven't gotten that far ahead I would go back and redo the cast on.

Drei fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 30, 2010

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

I think I just needed some encouragement! I worked on this yesterday for about an hour and a half, and got all of this done.

I made a few mistakes...and fixed them! Something I couldn't do properly before. Thanks, knittas. :neckbeard:

As a beginner working in rib, I'm very impressed by how even your stitches are- well done!

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
When binding off and getting to the last stitch is there a better/more effective way of knotting the end other than actually leaving an unattractive knot at the end? Also these knots have the risk of them coming undone. I haven't been able to find anything better about finishing :(

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Spiteful posted:

When binding off and getting to the last stitch is there a better/more effective way of knotting the end other than actually leaving an unattractive knot at the end? Also these knots have the risk of them coming undone. I haven't been able to find anything better about finishing :(

Believe it or not, you can actually just pull the tail all the way through!

I know, it seems like it would unravel. Try it on a swatch, I didn't believe it either.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Believe it or not, you can actually just pull the tail all the way through!

I know, it seems like it would unravel. Try it on a swatch, I didn't believe it either.

And it's super neat looking too. :3: (I, too, was an unbeliever)

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
Thanks y'all, I've been working away at it so I don't think I'm going to bother ripping back and starting over at this point. I'm making it for myself so a few wonky stitches won't bother me too much. Plus I figure a lot of things like that can be solved with blocking, weeee!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Spiteful posted:

Instead of pulling the tail through the last stitch, pull that stitch in the opposite direction (in other words, undoing the loop). I just discovered this a few months ago and haven't looked back.

Similar revelation - you don't have to make a slip knot to start the long tail cast on. My work is now knot free!

We had Takako Uemi (founder of Habu Textiles - if you're not familiar with her yarns, check them out! The silk and stainless steel yarn is so frickin cool) at my store yesterday, and she brought a trunk show of the most amazing samples! She was taking custom orders for all the various kits she had and I ended up getting Kit #116 which is a very simple, cropped short sleeved cardi made of Silk Gima (100% silk with a linen texture) that, unlike some of the things I make I can definitely see myself incorporating into my everyday wardrobe.

There was another really cool sample called the Infinite Loop which I almost got but didn't. It's a bit like those magic scarves you can buy at mall kiosks but it has a vest like back and arm holes. Here's a video demonstrating the ways you can wear it/ I'm still considering making it, to be honest, but I'd have to think on the yarn choices.

Also, this is currently blocking on my bed:

My arms and back are still tingling.

VV
Nope, just drape the yarn over the needle so the two tails are hanging down, then proceed as usual.

Drei fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 30, 2010

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Drei posted:

Instead of pulling the tail through the last stitch, pull that stitch in the opposite direction (in other words, undoing the loop). I just discovered this a few months ago and haven't looked back.

Similar revelation - you don't have to make a slip knot to start the long tail cast on. My work is now knot free!

What do you do just a backwards loop kinda thing for the first stitch, or?

Man, a few months back I was all set to start a project and I'd taken a little break from knitting and I sat there and tried to start and realized I'd FORGOTTEN HOW TO CAST ON. I do this thing to make the slipknot where I wrap the yarn around two fingers and cross it in the back and reach through with the needle, who the hell knows where I even came up with that poo poo - I actually woke my roommate up to tell her that I couldn't remember how to cast on. It was nuts. Like forgetting how to breathe or something.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
My boyfriend has requested a Masonic scarf for his birthday, so I've been busily trying to chart up esoteric symbols. Thank god I made him pick some easy, graphic ones.

Keystone and Triple Tau charts, both are symbols associated with the group he's joining (holy royal arch)

Keystone so far, I really hate the wool, it's very...poofy and I feel like it gets in my mouth as I'm working. But he picked it out, it's soft.

And the back, with the black and white checkerboard. The whole body of the scarf will be in this, and it's already driving me crazy.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
On the subject of knitting questions: Does anyone know how I managed to stab myself in the thigh with a knitting needle without ripping a hole in my pants? :byodood:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

On the subject of knitting questions: Does anyone know how I managed to stab myself in the thigh with a knitting needle without ripping a hole in my pants? :byodood:

Hmm. Maybe teeny tiny needle went right through a hole in the fabric? Like, if it's knit fabric or something. I could see that.

Also, ow. :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Hmm. Maybe teeny tiny needle went right through a hole in the fabric? Like, if it's knit fabric or something. I could see that.

Also, ow. :(

No, it's a size seven that was SLAMMED into my thigh. All I can figure is that these are drat fine pants that simply covered the tip of the needle as it went in. :byodood:

I'm just sharing this because I'm still in shock. Ow.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

No, it's a size seven that was SLAMMED into my thigh. All I can figure is that these are drat fine pants that simply covered the tip of the needle as it went in. :byodood:

I'm just sharing this because I'm still in shock. Ow.

Knitting is definitely a contact sport!

At least it wasn't one of those Addi lace turbos? You'd probably be in the hospital getting a tetanus shot or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Knitting is definitely a contact sport!

At least it wasn't one of those Addi lace turbos? You'd probably be in the hospital getting a tetanus shot or something.

Or a Signature stilleto.

I got myself a set of DPN's for a "yay I survived/belated bday present" and those could kill a person. I seriously fear for my hands when I pick up stitches and then try to pull the waste yarn out.

And even size 7s have teeny tips. I would hope. KnitPicks has nice tips, I know. Still, that's kind of impressive.