Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I don't think I will ever be able to tell what is the correct spelling of Baldur's Gate without looking it up myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Hakkeshu posted:

I have both of them and really wanted to like them, but no matter what in combat my rogue would die cause the enemies would attack them first.

Icewind Dale is really less role playing and more DnD based Hack and Slash and a lot more back to the roguelike roots than Baldurs Gate. Basically, you need to really prepare a lot for fights, cheese the terrain if you can and absolutely do use all your consumables. Unlike most other dialogue heavy RPGs potions are not just something you convert into gold when you get to the next shop.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Why isnt there shadow warrior on this poo poo yet? I've never played but understood it was the game back in the day. Actually I think the only build engine games I played back in the day were Duke Nukem and like some game called 'Nam which sucked but owned..

edit: while I realize that they're no XCOM, are the UFO games any good just as tactical games? I played JA2 since release and all that so I'm familiar with the genre and don't want incredibly half assed poo poo

DEVILDOGOOORAH fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 28, 2010

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

404notfound posted:

Last I heard, though, the Ultima series is in some weird legal limbo where neither EA nor Garriott really have the rights to do anything with it.

I could be wrong but I believe that Garriott owns the characters but EA has rights to the franchise and legally owns the previously released games so they probably could release the Ultimas if they wanted too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

404notfound posted:

I still have my box of the original PC game, complete with the blueprints for the four ships and the Tiger's Claw magazine/manual :smugdog:

I know I posted a picture of it all here some number of months back, but I'm too lazy to go dig it up. But it and Ultima 7 were probably my first major PC gaming experiences. Last I heard, though, the Ultima series is in some weird legal limbo where neither EA nor Garriott really have the rights to do anything with it.
My first experiences with CD-ROM were Wing Commander and Ultima 6 ... bought them on a single-disc dual-pack with my brand-new double-speed drive. They also came with the manuals/maps/blueprints :)

Turned me into a life-long Ultima/western RPG fanboy. U6 just completely wowed me compared to the Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy I'd been playing up to then.

Of course the franchise died since. I think only The Witcher has come close to recreating the experience for me since.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SilkyP posted:

EDIT: Also, I have some FPS's I bought on GOG but mouse and keyboard aint doing it for me, anyone know of some good controllers out there to use?

Old FPSs you'll want to just use the keyboard if they're not set up for easy mouselook. A controller won't help you any, if they'll even work period.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
They make some xbox controller emulator thing that if you plug in your xbox controller it just emulates your entire keyboard. You can set anything, including the mouse movements to any controlstick. It works really well, I even set it up with dosbox and play older games with it.

I forgot the full name of it, but I can look at it when I get home.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

They make some xbox controller emulator thing that if you plug in your xbox controller it just emulates your entire keyboard. You can set anything, including the mouse movements to any controlstick. It works really well, I even set it up with dosbox and play older games with it.

I forgot the full name of it, but I can look at it when I get home.

That would be xpadder. It's a paid program now (or was the last time I checked), but there's still a free version floating around out there that works perfectly fine.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Old FPSs you'll want to just use the keyboard if they're not set up for easy mouselook. A controller won't help you any, if they'll even work period.

Is there a way to change the layout for Blood, its just feels so clunky....

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010

gently caress YES BATTLEZONE! The first PC game i ever played... the nostalgias too much to handle :3:.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

SilkyP posted:

Is there a way to change the layout for Blood, its just feels so clunky....

You can customize all the keys within the game's menus. If you want to rebind the mouse buttons (like to make 0 fire and 1 alternate fire), you need to edit BLOOD.CFG, which is in your Blood folder.

MouseButton0 = "Weapon_Fire"
MouseButton1 = "Weapon_Special_Fire"

Pay attention to what you set for the mouselook toggle button (Mouse_Aiming) so you can use the mouse to aim up and down. You won't want it on all the time, because like all these old engines, the geometry distorts like crazy when you look up and down so it can make you want to hurl.

Sadly, there's no equivalent to EDuke32, because Blood made enough changes to the engine that the Blood source would need to be released, and blah blah, not happening.

At least there are voxels!

edit: Oh, you can also edit the mouse axes, so it won't move you forward and back when you don't want it to. Mouse and keyboard is always the superior input method for these games, it just takes some tweaking sometimes.

(Just delete values for things you don't want having an effect, like so: JoystickAnalogAxes1 = "")

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 28, 2010

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

AxeManiac posted:

I don't think I will ever be able to tell what is the correct spelling of Baldur's Gate without looking it up myself.

One of the few times I watched a video game review show on television, a woman on the show reviewed Baldur's Gate. She started off by talking about how you play as Baldur. Considering you choose your character's name before you even start the game...

Also, the city of Baldur's Gate is named after the hero Balduran (there is no Baldur), to whom your character has no relation.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

tentaclesex posted:

You can customize all the keys within the game's menus. If you want to rebind the mouse buttons (like to make 0 fire and 1 alternate fire), you need to edit BLOOD.CFG, which is in your Blood folder.

MouseButton0 = "Weapon_Fire"
MouseButton1 = "Weapon_Special_Fire"

Pay attention to what you set for the mouselook toggle button (Mouse_Aiming) so you can use the mouse to aim up and down. You won't want it on all the time, because like all these old engines, the geometry distorts like crazy when you look up and down so it can make you want to hurl.

Sadly, there's no equivalent to EDuke32, because Blood made enough changes to the engine that the Blood source would need to be released, and blah blah, not happening.

At least there are voxels!

edit: Oh, you can also edit the mouse axes, so it won't move you forward and back when you don't want it to. Mouse and keyboard is always the superior input method for these games, it just takes some tweaking sometimes.

(Just delete values for things you don't want to do something, like so: JoystickAnalogAxes1 = "")

Cool cool, thanks. I'll work on this because blood seems like it is kickass once u get the controls down.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

SilkyP posted:

Cool cool, thanks. I'll work on this because blood seems like it is kickass once u get the controls down.

I'm playing it for the first time, and it's really a kickass game that I can't believe I passed over back in the day.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
How randomized is the loot in Icewind Dale? I feel like I would give it more of a chance if I knew there was some roguelike randomness in it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Farquar posted:

How randomized is the loot in Icewind Dale? I feel like I would give it more of a chance if I knew there was some roguelike randomness in it.

I've never played it, but if it's set up like BG2, and I can't imagine it's not, then just about everything is hand placed.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Farquar posted:

A lot of it is random. Trash and chests will often drop entirely random stuff (though it is frequently random within categories, eg a random stack of ammo, and there are plenty of containers which have specified loot). Bosses frequently drop certain specified items and 1 or 2 random powerful items. There are very few static items just lying around (a Holy Avenger is one of those few).

John McCain fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 28, 2010

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

John McCain posted:

Almost everything is random. Trash and most chests will drop entirely random stuff (though it is frequently random within categories, eg a random stack of ammo). Bosses frequently drop certain specified items and 1 or 2 random powerful items. There are very few static items just lying around (a Holy Avenger is one of those few).

Excellent. Now I hope they release that next. I played Baldur's gate way back when, and while I liked it, I got kind of burned out by the end. I never gave any of the other Infinity Engine games the chance they deserved.

Edit: Wait, no, I played and love Torment.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Also, IWD1 has way superior music compared to all the other D&D games. Hopefully the soundtracks come as additional goods when you buy them from GoG.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Something about GoG really stimulates my poor decisions gland. I bought Phantasmagoria and A Puzzle of Flesh. Those games weren't even good when they were new!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

AxeManiac posted:

Wow dude. Probate yourself. Duke Nukem can mod in your stead.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
Anyone know if/when there'll be oldschool EA games?

I want need for speed II. :smith:

My oooooold install disc won't work, it doesn't want to play nice with Win7 64.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

tentaclesex posted:

Something about GoG really stimulates my poor decisions gland. I bought Phantasmagoria and A Puzzle of Flesh. Those games weren't even good when they were new!

I think the main reason to own Phantasmagoria was so that you can claim that stack of discs was one loving game.

GOG takes all the fun out of that.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Armor-Piercing posted:

One of the few times I watched a video game review show on television, a woman on the show reviewed Baldur's Gate. She started off by talking about how you play as Baldur. Considering you choose your character's name before you even start the game...

Also, the city of Baldur's Gate is named after the hero Balduran (there is no Baldur), to whom your character has no relation.

Then why is it called Baldur's Gate? :psyduck:

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Anyone know if/when there'll be oldschool EA games?

I want need for speed II. :smith:

My oooooold install disc won't work, it doesn't want to play nice with Win7 64.

No one has any idea if EA will jump on board, but everyone is praying that it will happen. Getting old Need for Speed titles would be amazing (as would pretty much every game we get if they did sign on).

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Speaking of signing with publishers, I wonder what current and prospective signed publishers thought of the fake shutdown stunt. Could it have hurt GOG.com's chances of signing with further publishers like EA?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Drox posted:

Then why is it called Baldur's Gate? :psyduck:

No idea. If I had to guess, I'd say Forgotten Realms has so much source material that Balduran and Baldur were both in the notes somewhere and it wasn't a big enough deal to bother retconning. I did just check the page for Baldur's Gate on the FR wiki though just to make sure that the info in the game matched what was considered canon.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Armor-Piercing posted:

No idea. If I had to guess, I'd say Forgotten Realms has so much source material that Balduran and Baldur were both in the notes somewhere and it wasn't a big enough deal to bother retconning. I did just check the page for Baldur's Gate on the FR wiki though just to make sure that the info in the game matched what was considered canon.

No, I mean, wasn't Baldur's Gate a place in FR prior to the game? Why it wasn't originally named Balduran's Gate is what I want to know.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BigJoe posted:

No one has any idea if EA will jump on board, but everyone is praying that it will happen. Getting old Need for Speed titles would be amazing (as would pretty much every game we get if they did sign on).

I'd love to see EA sign on. They own Westwood, which means they own the Kyrandia games. I really, really want to see those be made available again, especially DRM-free.

BiggerJ posted:

Speaking of signing with publishers, I wonder what current and prospective signed publishers thought of the fake shutdown stunt. Could it have hurt GOG.com's chances of signing with further publishers like EA?

That probably depends on what it does to sales. Speaking for myself, it's not going to change any of my purchasing habits, but the same might not be true for other people.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

That's what I mean. As far as I know, both Baldur's Gate and Balduran were the established names well before the game was created. There hasn't ever been an explanation (that I'm aware of) as to why the city isn't and doesn't seem to ever have been Balduran's Gate.

What I was suggesting was that when originally creating the history/geography of the area for sourcebooks or novels or whatever, whoever wrote that part might have had notes that said Baldur in one place and Balduran in another. Like if you were writing a novel and halfway through the story you start using an alternate name you'd picked out for the main character, forgetting you'd gone with a different one instead.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Drox posted:

No, I mean, wasn't Baldur's Gate a place in FR prior to the game? Why it wasn't originally named Balduran's Gate is what I want to know.

Baldur was probably the shortened version of Balduran. Like someone named Matthew. You can call them Matt. If I, a Matthew, had a gate I'd not mind if it was called Matt's Gate.

It's not like places named after people don't have a history of being changed. Look at America. It's not called Amerigo.

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
I have a complete near mint copy of Wing Commander 3 sitting in a box.

I would buy it and the first two games in a heartbeat if we get them on GOG.

:10bux::10bux::10bux:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Paul Barnett is a cool guy.

Entorwellian posted:

- Some others here recommend waiting for Baldur's Gate II to be released so you can play them in BGTutu, but Baldur's Gate 1 by itself is just fine when I went through my playthough ages ago.

Playing BG1 in the BG2 engine also adds the ability to find containers and doors by holding down tab which tends to completely break the game because the best items in BG1 are hidden in 1px-size areas in the wilderness, which normally require precise cursor coordinates to find. There's a Ring of Wizardry I and a +3 suit of Ankeg plate hidden around before you even go to the mines in Nashkel which pretty much make your party rape the beginning of the game.

Plus, playing through BG2 with a kit removes the joy of loading your BG1 character and being greeted by the delightful surprise of the existence of kits. :3:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hey guys, one of the sites I write for is running a competition to win a copy of Baldur's Gate from GOG.com.

News24Games posted:

...if you want to win you've got to get all Dungeons & Dragons on us and tell us what magical charm, spell or whatever that you would add to the game. Again, as usual the most entertaining answer will win.

It's a South African site but the GOG compo is open to everyone. You don't need to register on the site as it uses Wordpress comment stuff. Just make sure to use a genuine email address in case you end up winning it...

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Ansob. posted:

Playing BG1 in the BG2 engine also adds the ability to find containers and doors by holding down tab which tends to completely break the game because the best items in BG1 are hidden in 1px-size areas in the wilderness, which normally require precise cursor coordinates to find. There's a Ring of Wizardry I and a +3 suit of Ankeg plate hidden around before you even go to the mines in Nashkel which pretty much make your party rape the beginning of the game.
Isn't this added by Tales of the Sword Coast anyway?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Threep posted:

I still remember using coordinates to find certain items when I played vanilla BG1+TotSC a couple years ago. So... I'm not really sure.

Farquar posted:

To expand on this: certain mobs and chest/containers have random item(s) alongside guaranteed drops. For example, here's the lootlist for the first elite mob you encounter (taken from Dan Simpson's excellent IWD FAQ).
code:
      Knucklehead Trout
      Short Bow
      12gp
      Dagger
      RANDOM ITEM      - High Quality Morning Star
      (any 1 of these)   High Quality Dagger
                         Potion of Healing
                         Splint Mail
It's no Diablo, but it definitely adds a random element to the game.

Edit: also, GOG status report: Operation Flashpoint GOTY Edition is again downloadable for those that purchased it.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 28, 2010

Light-headed Fool
May 17, 2009

Where did my head go?

Threep posted:

It was added in Throne of Bhaal.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Quick question for fans of the Age of Wonders games. I bought AOW2 back when it came out. I really like it but for whatever reason over the years I've played the first few levels before stopping, probably about three times.

I'd really like to play again, and am thinking of getting part one so I don't have to play those first few levels again. Is AOW1 interestingly different enough to warrant buying? Or, is it missing to many of the features from part 2 to be playable?

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
So today's big surprise is...an interview?

Or is it like 2 am in Poland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Industrial posted:

So today's big surprise is...an interview?

Or is it like 2 am in Poland.
It's 2pm. I guess the lack of surprise is surprising?

Light-headed Fool posted:

It was added in Throne of Bhaal.
Heart of Winter actually. But I was thinking of the wrong expansion.