Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004
I have a math related question. This is from a GRE study book thing and I'm kinda lost about the books answer to this question and its validity.

quote:

If -7 <= x <= 5 and -3 <= y <= 4, what is the greatest possible value of (y-x)(x+y)?

Solution:The correct answer is 99. Because you are looking for the greatest value of (x-y)(x+y) your goal is to make x+y as big as possible and y-x as big as possible. Therefore, use x=5 and y=4 to get x+y=9, and x=-7 and y=4 to get y-x=11. The greatest value of (y-x)(x+y) is (9)(11) = 99.

Now, is that allowed? I thought a variable had to have the same value throughout an equation?

Conartist fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Conartist posted:

I have a math related question. This is from a GRE study book thing and I'm kinda lost about the books answer to this question and it's validity.

I have a degree in math and I have never seen this in an academic setting. It's way out of the box at the very least. Are you sure the x and y didn't have little subscripts on them? That would make more sense.

It's a "meh" brainteaser, or a terribly written math problem.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I don't think you'd ever see that on the actual GRE. That's very misleading.

I assume it was from a third party study book?

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I don't think you'd ever see that on the actual GRE. That's very misleading.

I assume it was from a third party study book?
Yes, it's from a third party book.

baquerd posted:

I have a degree in math and I have never seen this in an academic setting. It's way out of the box at the very least. Are you sure the x and y didn't have little subscripts on them? That would make more sense.

It's a "meh" brainteaser, or a terribly written math problem.
No subscripts that i can see. This is the first time i've even seen a question like this with regard to the GRE, or that kind of answer for a question of this type, so I was just not sure what to take away from it. Thanks for both of your insights.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm an ESL teacher in Korea. I have a student who lived in the US for 4 years and she says "I cut my hair at the weekend". To me that isn't what she meant and it should be "I got my hair cut". Is it an American v British difference or is she wrong?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sad Panda posted:

I'm an ESL teacher in Korea. I have a student who lived in the US for 4 years and she says "I cut my hair at the weekend". To me that isn't what she meant and it should be "I got my hair cut". Is it an American v British difference or is she wrong?

Americans would generally say "during" the weekend, not "at", though your version is more correct if someone else cut her hair and not herself.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Sad Panda posted:

No, that does not sound quite correct in American English either. There are any number of different ways to phrase that. Your version is the simplest, but "I got my haircut over the weekend" would work if you still want to specify the time. I don't know if that phrasing comes up in British English, but it's quite common to say something happened "over the weekend."

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Sad Panda posted:

I got my hair cut this weekend. (Somehow past tense)
I had my hair cut on the weekend.
I cut my hair on the weekend.

"On" or "during" is correct.

(The way it's phrased "I cut my hair" can be ambiguous. It can mean she cut her own hair, or she decided to have her hair cut by someone else.)

Of course, as a natural American English speaker, I'll have to say being grammatically incorrect is appropriate.
If someone is teaching English, I wonder how appropriate it is to teach someone to speak in sentence fragments?

And that's the silly part. You can say "at 3 o'clock", but you don't say "at the weekend". 'At' and 'weekend' shouldn't be paired. On Monday is good too. At for times, on for days. I'm not sure why.

Which reminds me of German class. English speakers live ON the street. German speakers live IN the street. Both should get the hell off of the street.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples
My number of friends on Facebook seems to randomly increment by one, and then go down again a few hours later. I don't get "X has confirmed you" messages when it increases. Any idea what it could be?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Sad Panda posted:

It's funny what is legal if you are a native speaker, and what isn't if you are not. My non-native English speaking friend worked with locals in Hawaii (if you have never lived here in Hawaii, it's hard to explain just how not American English sounding the English here can get), and she ended up saying all kinds of things that I would start to correct her on, but then I would hear a local say the same thing, and when they said it it sounded fine. I ended up just correcting her timing and pronunciation only. In a few years, she ended up fooling people into thinking she was born in Hawaii, because she was an excellent mimic, and fully immersed, and I stopped confusing her with unhelpful corrections.

To me, what your person said is dead wrong, but if someone said it with a British accent, I would never think it was wrong, because the British simply don't speak the same language as Americans in some pretty interesting ways.. I frequently have no idea what is going on in certain scenese with British TV shows I watch the first time through.

Where did this person live in the US? If it was Hawaii, expect a lot more 'incorrect' English.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kobalt posted:

And that's the silly part. You can say "at 3 o'clock", but you don't say "at the weekend". 'At' and 'weekend' shouldn't be paired. On Monday is good too. At for times, on for days. I'm not sure why.
"At the weekend" is common in British English. "We can do it at the weekend," "I'll see what happens at the weekend." The period of Saturday through Sunday is at the week's end.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

Conartist posted:

I have a math related question. This is from a GRE study book thing and I'm kinda lost about the books answer to this question and its validity.

Yeah your study book is flat-out wrong. Rewrite (y-x)(x+y) as y²-x² and the answer should be pretty obvious.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Someone posted a site once somewhere here on SA that could translate any youtube-like flash video site into a stream that most mobile phones could play. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I think you opened this website on your phone, told it the url or something of the video you wanted and then it sent a stream starting up your media player.

I used to use this on my windows phone but haven't ever since I go the skyfire browser. I know someone with a dumb-phone that could benefit from this.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

The Geoff posted:

Also, some vinegar slopped on the (laminated wood) coffee table and it's stained parts of the table a whitish colour. Can I reverse this?

Check hardware stores/ craft stores or Wal Mart kinds of places for furniture markers. Usually you can find sets of them or them being sold separately. Get one that matches the color and basically you just "color" over the stained parts then let it dry and buff with a cloth. If you can't find any of them, get some colored markers and try to match the color as best you can. The furniture ones are really just industrial strength permanent markers anyway, so there's not a whole lot of difference between them.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

kapalama posted:

I have heard that Preview did this before, but it has never worked for me. Does this do permanent highlighting? Does it highlight in non-OCR documents?

Yes, it is permanent, at least as of 10.5's version (which is the only one I've highlighted in). Yes, I've used it for highlighting non-OCR docs - be aware that with those you're going to be dragging a box and highlighting within it, since Preview has no way of knowing what is and isn't text.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So my friend is probably going to prison/jail for violating his probation, I want to do something for him but I don't know when to plan it... when you're sentenced to one of the above do you go straight from the courthouse or do you get a day or two to "say goodbye"?

I always assumed you went straight from the courthouse or something I guess but after seeing 25th Hour a few months ago (AMAZING movie if you haven't seen it, highly recommend it) I'm not so sure.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Mr. Crow posted:

So my friend is probably going to prison/jail for violating his probation, I want to do something for him but I don't know when to plan it... when you're sentenced to one of the above do you go straight from the courthouse or do you get a day or two to "say goodbye"?

I always assumed you went straight from the courthouse or something I guess but after seeing 25th Hour a few months ago (AMAZING movie if you haven't seen it, highly recommend it) I'm not so sure.

Once he appears in court, they will officially revoke his probation, meaning he is now officially in state custody. He will not be released.

If he is on probation he has already plead guilty/been convicted of his crime. So there's no bail, etc.

Depending on what he's been convicted of and if he has any priors, will depend on whether he goes through intake and is released on ankle monitor, or sent to do some county time, etc. If he was on probation (as opposed to parole), and he didn't violate his probation with another convition, its likely he'll only do county time (if the sentence is less than 1 year and 1 day).

All that said, have the party before he goes in to report to the revocation hearing. You won't see him again 'til hes been processed and assigned a facility.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Once he appears in court, they will officially revoke his probation, meaning he is now officially in state custody. He will not be released.

If he is on probation he has already plead guilty/been convicted of his crime. So there's no bail, etc.

Depending on what he's been convicted of and if he has any priors, will depend on whether he goes through intake and is released on ankle monitor, or sent to do some county time, etc. If he was on probation (as opposed to parole), and he didn't violate his probation with another convition, its likely he'll only do county time (if the sentence is less than 1 year and 1 day).

All that said, have the party before he goes in to report to the revocation hearing. You won't see him again 'til hes been processed and assigned a facility.

Thanks. He got a DUI and then failed a drug test (toked a little during his birthday and got nailed two weeks later or some such), any idea how that would turn out (Time/location etc.)? He's saying he's probably gonna be in jail and get out around December.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Mr. Crow posted:

Thanks. He got a DUI and then failed a drug test (toked a little during his birthday and got nailed two weeks later or some such), any idea how that would turn out (Time/location etc.)? He's saying he's probably gonna be in jail and get out around December.

It really depends on the length/time of his probation, where you live, etc. For instance, here in California, if you get your probation revoked for almost any reason other than an additional crime/DUI, etc, You'll do about a week in jail due to overcrowding.

Other states, 90 days means 90 days. But oh boy does county time suck. Really really sucks. Prison is so much better.

Write letters, make girls write him letters. Visit when you can, put some money on his books if you can afford it so he can get coffee, have stuff to barter with, etc.

But it'll be over before he knows it. Make sure he knows everything he ever learned in movies is absolutely loving false. Just stand up for himself if provoked, fight back if attacked, don't snitch, but he needs to lay low and do his time.

Make sure you make him a cake before he goes in, and sing "Happy Buttrape To you" :)

When he gets out, get the man a steak and a blowjob, stat.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Many years ago, a good friend of mine was going off to Prison and we had a nice send off for him. I gave him a "Get out of Jail, Free" card from Monopoly, and he's kept it in his wallet ever since, haha.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
What the heck was this little SOB crawling on my arm?

besides an arachnid. I gathered that much.

Edit: after a search on Google it looks an awful like a brown house spider, but I can only find references to that on Australian websites. I live in the Pacific Northwest.

Edit 2: This little SOB jumped off of me too what the christ :gonk: (landed in my frittata and died, the little indignant bastard)

Edit 3: Im going to take a ten hour long shower with bleach.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 28, 2010

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

But oh boy does county time suck. Really really sucks. Prison is so much better.

Wait, what? :psyduck:

I always thought prison was were the bad poo poo happened and jail was :airquote: OK :airquote: if not crowded... I worked with a guy who was in prison for a few years and I didn't bring it up to often for obvious reasons but the couple times we did talk about it, it seemed pretty bad... Never heard or asked about rape or anything, again, for obvious reasons, but it seemed like it was pretty horrible.

And he was a pretty big dude. Pretty racist too, which I always attributed to his time in prison.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Miso Beno posted:

What the heck was this little SOB crawling on my arm?

besides an arachnid. I gathered that much.

Edit: after a search on Google it looks an awful like a brown house spider, but I can only find references to that on Australian websites. I live in the Pacific Northwest.

Edit 2: This little SOB jumped off of me too what the christ :gonk: (landed in my frittata and died, the little indignant bastard)

Edit 3: Im going to take a ten hour long shower with bleach.

That second one kinda looks like a bedbug/tick or something, but I might be mistaken.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What's the best/easiest way to make a comparison chart? I need to make a chart comparing a few different products, broken down by specs, pricing, etc..

This would ultimately end up for web use as a graphic. Using a Mac if it matters.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

DELETED posted:

That second one kinda looks like a bedbug/tick or something, but I might be mistaken.

Nah its not a bed bug, I did a GIS for bedbugs shortly after I got out of the shower and they seem to be flatter. I think it's just a male ant.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Do freight trains run every day of the year, or do they take holidays?

edit: I'm primarily interested in America.

erosion fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 28, 2010

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Expired Condom posted:

Worldwide? In America? The trains themselves, or the operators? I would imagine yes, freight trains do run on holidays, although certainly not as many as on other days. They're run by private companies, so if something needs to be somewhere one day rather than the next, they'll just offer extra pay for the necessary personal to be there on Labor Day or Christmas. As far as I know, there's no mandate that prevents any business from operating 365 days a year.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to remove these stupid little suggestions from the main Skype window?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Crow posted:

I always thought prison was were the bad poo poo happened and jail was :airquote: OK :airquote: if not crowded... I worked with a guy who was in prison for a few years and I didn't bring it up to often for obvious reasons but the couple times we did talk about it, it seemed pretty bad... Never heard or asked about rape or anything, again, for obvious reasons, but it seemed like it was pretty horrible.

And he was a pretty big dude. Pretty racist too, which I always attributed to his time in prison.

This depends dramatically on the facility is my understanding. Country lockup in LA, Chicago, NYC is going to be nightmarish, in a smaller town it could be uncrowded and clean. State lockup, medium to maximum is the worst place to be in the nation. Federal lockup tends to be more humane, as are minimum security prisons in general.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Mr. Crow posted:

Here's one important difference. Jail is often a big open cell with as many people as need to fit. Prison is a stable population with a legally defined (through case law suits brought by inmates, and their advocates) maximum population.

So you could have forty people in a jail cell, but not a prison cell.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

Miso Beno posted:

Nah its not a bed bug, I did a GIS for bedbugs shortly after I got out of the shower and they seem to be flatter. I think it's just a male ant.

Maybe you can ask in this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3309515

I'd scroll through it and look, but there's lots of creepy bugs in there.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Expired Condom posted:

edit: I'm primarily interested in America.

It depends on the operator, the railroad, the customers, and so on. For example, I believe some coal power plants require coal to be delivered by train every day to keep the plant running, those would have to have freights rolling on holidays.

Anecdotally, there's a rail line that passes about a mile form my house that is both for passenger and freight service. I have heard and seen freights using it on various holidays, including Christmas and Labor Day.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Miso Beno posted:

The first one is a spider of sorts. The second one looks like a beetle and not a bug or ant of any kind. Check out the Critterquest thread, someone will find an answer for you surely!

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I'm looking for a song by Queens of the Stone Age. I've only heard it like twice and one time was live- the lyrics talk about the six or seven drugs Josh Homme is currently on and he lists them out.. something like tobacco, marijuana, lithium, etc. I've checked their discographies and can't match a title to that song. (There is one called Medication, but thats not it.)

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Alderdash posted:

I'm looking for a song by Queens of the Stone Age. I've only heard it like twice and one time was live- the lyrics talk about the six or seven drugs Josh Homme is currently on and he lists them out.. something like tobacco, marijuana, lithium, etc. I've checked their discographies and can't match a title to that song. (There is one called Medication, but thats not it.)

Feel Good Hit of The Summer

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Alderdash posted:

"Feel Good Hit of the Summer" off the album R (restricted to everyone).

Just listened to this again to make sure

edit: DELETED :argh:

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
That's the one. I don't know why I find that song so funny. Thanks!

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

Mr. Crow posted:

Nah, County Jail is the worst time for a variety of reasons, foremost being that once you get to prison, you get "yard time", as opposed to an hour a day, a job, you can shower when/as desired, the population doesn't change as much, and there are far fewer people who come in who have seen too many prison movies and arrive with a lovely attitude. You can have your "own" tv as opposed to a community one, have access to a leisure library and have books and magazines sent in, etc.

By the time you get to prison, most have accepted that they're stuck until they're released and just want to do their time and go home.

Sure its bad in prison. There IS rape, murder, stabbing, bullying, etc. But it mostly happens among gangbangers and to the conspicuously weak, idiots who get themselves in debt, and child molesters so it is easy to avoid. Its no loving holiday. But it is also the best place to do time, if you gotta do it.

Further reading without putting up with all the hand wringing, fighting, and whining in the LF thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1745759

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Cultural reference question:

I am just watching Archer for the first time, and the "Waa-waa" (for lack of a better way to write it) seems to have appeared on things like 30 Rock as well. Is there a first place that appeared? And when did it appear?

(I have not had a TV in forever, so a lot of cultural references have passed me by.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
So I'm selling a set of golf irons on craigslist, and got a pretty quick email from someone:

"Kindly let me know if the above listed item is still available for sale ?"

I replied and told them that they were still up for grabs, and I got this back:

"Thank for the prompt response to my mail,my secretary will be
processing and mail a draft to cover the cost of my purchase as am
completely satisfied with the advert.I will need the details of whom &
where to mail the draft.It will be delivered by the United Parcel
Service within 2-3 days.Please note 'United Parcel Service' do not
deliver to P.O.Box addresses

1.Name to be on the check
2.Home address
3.Mobile #

Kindly delete the posting as am totally committed to buying from you
to save me cost,my mover will be coming over for the pick up right
only after the payment as been delivered and i want you to understand
that, i love to call but am a deaf and only uses a hearing-in paired
phone the relay so please send me a email you leave a message on my
voice mail 9518927140" it will be delivered as an email to me as
well,thank you.

Regards
"

Sounds like someone is trying to pull a fast one on me I think. But I am not very experienced with Craigslist, so I am not sure. What do you guys think? This person is obviously very bad at speaking English, or at least typing. I'm not sure if I even understand what they are suggesting I do? If they are suggesting that I should hand them the golf clubs in return for a check from their "mover", then this is obviously bullshit. This isn't a cheap set of irons either, they are like $1000 retail, so I'm not going to be had by some hoser. The whole hearing-in paired(lol) deaf bit also seems like a pretty big giveaway. I guess I've pretty much answered my own question, but it's nice to have a few people back me up and confirm it :). Thanks guys/gals.