Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Susan Calvin
Oct 20, 2008

But how does that make you feel?
I have a reputation at work as the LEGO girl. Which is fine with me, cause sometimes my coworkers come in and give me poo poo.

Sorry for the cell-phone quality, but I was just given these:

Click here for the full 960x720 image.

My coworkers. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

InfinEight posted:

I've managed to get decent pictures with just a roll of white paper and regular overhead lights w/o diffusion:

But there would always be shadows
IMO, you want shadows. Helps avoid the 'floating in a void of nothingness' effect. Here's a lego thing and a non-lego thing. These were shot on a piece of white foamboard with natural indirect lighting, no flash.

sam.freak
Nov 21, 2004

That's it baby just a bit to the left. Perfect. Now show us your tits.
You might want to look into a light source with better spread. If you put a frame around the light source and put some paper or linen in front of it it might give you that. You also might want to look into a stronger light source, like a 1000W halogen building site thing. (no idea what they're called, here's a pic:

A standard lightbulb won't cut it I think.

Don't come blaming me if that thing melts your Lego or burns your house down though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Our local Argos had the minifigures in the back so I couldn't check the barcodes without being really awkward to the poor bastard behind the counter. I got a ringmaster, two lifeguards, a skier, a disco dancer and a mexican who I already had.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Carbohydrates posted:

IMO, you want shadows. Helps avoid the 'floating in a void of nothingness' effect. Here's a lego thing and a non-lego thing. These were shot on a piece of white foamboard with natural indirect lighting, no flash.

This is really the kind of effect I'm looking for. In the pics I posted you can see the shadows are a lot sharper and show where the light is coming from, because they were done with directional/uncovered ceiling lights and no diffusion.

And yeah I might have to go with brighter lights too, those housings can handle up to 150 watts, and the lights I used were compact fluorescent at only 23 watts, meaning I can get quite a lot more light if needed. I'm hoping to avoid a lot of heat output if I can though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Hey, something new in the CITY line:

I would have preferred a black limo, though.

Carbohydrates posted:

And here I was hoping those guns were really bitching LEGO creations.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
I really hate you guys.. Now I want to run to my grandma's and see if she's still got my LEGO sets floating around somewhere. She never throws away anything, so I'm sure she does, but I don't know if my cats would ever let me play with them anymore..

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They are really getting mileage out of that loving airplane nose.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Captain Invictus posted:

That is one part that makes me refuse to buy a set.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Okay... I think it may be true love.

This girl I've been seeing for a couple of weeks is a serious LEGO hobbyist. She also spins, dyes and knits/crochets her own wool products and sells them.

A couple nights ago, she showed me her latest project; an incredibly detailed knit yarn doll of a lego minifig (about 8 inches tall and fully poseable) with interchangable heads patterned on popular minifig faces. It was one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. I very nearly came in my pants when she showed it to me.

And that's only one tiny facet of her awesomeness, and she's beautiful too. She also seems to have feelings for me, which is bizarre.

So yeah... If being an AFOL actually helps me get laid, I will declare AFOL a religion and try to get it a tax-exempt status. I will bow down and worship the Danish gods who helped improve my life.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Captain Invictus posted:

It gets... even worse, actually. It doesn't even look remotely appropriate there.

On a related note, when I went looking for that pic, I found more 2011 catalog scans. Looks like Adventurers is back (under a new name but it totally looks like Adventurers to me)!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54191445@N03/

e: and the vintage motorcycle mold that was only in one set previously is back:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54191445@N03/5016203116/

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 27, 2010

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Carbohydrates posted:

It gets... even worse, actually. It doesn't even look remotely appropriate there.

Why do you want to hurt us Lego? We've been such good friends... I've had you at birthdays and Christmas, we've gone on all night binges-- my family has seen us together! And now this? I just don't understand.

On a serious note the Egyptian stuff looks awesome and so does the next wave of Atlantis. I'm pretty excited about those.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

This girl I've been seeing for a couple of weeks is a serious LEGO hobbyist. She also spins, dyes and knits/crochets her own wool products and sells them.

A couple nights ago, she showed me her latest project; an incredibly detailed knit yarn doll of a lego minifig (about 8 inches tall and fully poseable) with interchangable heads patterned on popular minifig faces. It was one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. I very nearly came in my pants when she showed it to me.

And that's only one tiny facet of her awesomeness, and she's beautiful too. She also seems to have feelings for me, which is bizarre.

So yeah... If being an AFOL actually helps me get laid, I will declare AFOL a religion and try to get it a tax-exempt status. I will bow down and worship the Danish gods who helped improve my life.

It goes without saying, but... there's a keeper.

I'm fortunate my SO enjoys my hobby because not every AFOL I know is so lucky.

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah, that. Someone on one of the flickr pages where it was posted figured it out. It's not just the use of that piece, it's how it clashes so horribly with the angular, studdy wings. Terrible.

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 27, 2010

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

AstroZamboni posted:

I have a wife who's a nerd and an AFOL. 99% of the time it's awesome. I never get 'the look' when I ask to go to the toy department, I'm not lectured about wasting my time playing video games and I don't have to hide any of my nerdy poo poo. My gaming PC is in the living room (with hers next to it) and from my desk I can see probably a couple grand worth of Lego sets on display.

The 1% is the fact that right now she's hogging a lot of the round 2x2 bricks for that concrete pump truck she's working on. I'm not going to complain though, after all, marriage is all about sharing.

It's early to say this but if possible you need to marry this girl.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

EvilJoven posted:

I have a wife who's a nerd and an AFOL... It's early to say this but if possible you need to marry this girl.
Nerd girl who enjoys your nerd hobbies? That's the very definition of "Keeper" right there.

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh
A lot of my friends are convinced I only married my husband because he's Danish and I'm trying to marry into the Danish Lego Royalty.. not true. I don't even get a drat discount. :mad:

I do seem to get lucky with Lego, though. We now have 3 complete sets of series 2, one of which is going out to Carbohydrates in a trade. My Target is full of the S2 minifigures constantly (in Howell, NJ, if there's any central NJ AFOL goons) so we wanna spread the wealth. If anyone wants the other set, or just separate minifigures, I'll be happy to trade em or sell them for what I paid: $2.99 each. I don't want to be like the jerks on eBay trying to get $6 in profit off of one rare minifigure. If there's no takers, we'll just be happy making bizarre scenes where pop stars, ring masters and pharaohs co-exist peacefully.

Is it lame that I'm really looking forward to the Winter Village Bakery? http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=10216&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US Probably, and it might just be the baker in me getting excited, but drat if I'm not going to grab it when I can.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Bophf posted:

Is it lame that I'm really looking forward to the Winter Village Bakery? http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=10216&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US Probably, and it might just be the baker in me getting excited, but drat if I'm not going to grab it when I can.

Not at all. The Toy Shop was a great set. I'm really looking forward to this one, and I hope they keep making more.

Bophf
Sep 10, 2006

well I oh

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Not at all. The Toy Shop was a great set. I'm really looking forward to this one, and I hope they keep making more.

Yeah, it's a decent value for money, too. You even get a crying child:

Nothing completes the retail Christmas mood better than that!

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER

InfinEight posted:

This is really the kind of effect I'm looking for. In the pics I posted you can see the shadows are a lot sharper and show where the light is coming from, because they were done with directional/uncovered ceiling lights and no diffusion.

And yeah I might have to go with brighter lights too, those housings can handle up to 150 watts, and the lights I used were compact fluorescent at only 23 watts, meaning I can get quite a lot more light if needed. I'm hoping to avoid a lot of heat output if I can though.

The trick to cutting out shadows is to use reflectors. You can reflect with a regular piece of pure white cardboard.

In this example there is a regular floodlight behind a diffusing sheet of fabric on the left of the image. On the right, just off camera there is a white piece of card, then no card, then black card. These shots were all taken with the same camera settings.

You can see the way it's possible to light up areas that are otherwise in shadow.

The subject can be made completely shadowless with a brighter light and/or bringing the reflecting card closer to the subject.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Carbohydrates posted:

On a related note, when I went looking for that pic, I found more 2011 catalog scans. Looks like Adventurers is back (under a new name but it totally looks like Adventurers to me)!

Okay, I really need a job. I've been collecting old Adventurers stuff off EBay but almost everything in that new line looks like a must-have.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Carbohydrates posted:

Ninjas are back too!
The giant scarab impulse thing looks great. :3: Gonna have to get a bunch. And those cool mummy guys with scarab shields and kopeshes. Hell yeah.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Ninjas are back too!
The giant scarab impulse thing looks great. :3: Gonna have to get a bunch. And those cool mummy guys with scarab shields and kopeshes. Hell yeah.

Not merely ninjas, NINJAGO!

The most interesting thing for me are those weird spinning? platforms the ninjas sit on. I wonder if they're like tops or something.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Not merely ninjas, NINJAGO!

The most interesting thing for me are those weird spinning? platforms the ninjas sit on. I wonder if they're like tops or something.

They're gaming bases of some kind. The ninjago minifigs all come with stat cards to make them into a collectible fighting game.

What I wasn't expecting was the larger sets in the same theme, I thought it would be more of a spinoff of the collectible minifigs rather than a full theme.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Oh god my wallet is going to hate me next year. I now have three Pharohs from the Series 2 minifigs to go along with the new Adventures line. I just need more Spartans to fill up a pre-sunk Atlantis set.

Does anyone know how they will be inventorying Series 3? Have they gotten rid of the barcode? It really doesn't matter as they all look better than Series 2.

Evek fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 28, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Evek posted:

Oh god my wallet is going to hate me next year. I now have three Pharohs from the Series 2 minifigs to go along with the new Adventures line. I just need more Spartans to fill up a pre-sunk Atlantis set.

Does anyone know how they will be inventorying Series 3? Have they gotten rid of the barcode? It really doesn't matter as they all look better than Series 2.
Yep, no more barcodes after series 2. Good luck!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's a good price per pound on bulk legos?

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
My mom knows I love Lego, so even though I am a 28 year old man child, she sent me a $50 check, with a note to use it just for Lego's. Went and got the Technic Motorbike. They also have the Mobile Crane, and truck crane, and its agonizing oing in there. I seriously just want to buy everything. I'm not sure what to get next. I really want the Emerald Night, or Imperial flagship, all teh Modular city blocks, the Carousel, and all teh big Technic sets. Man I need to hit the Lotto.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Emerald Night is an awesome addition. I bought the train and some track to display on my shelf.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I just bought the Green Grocer, Grand Emporium and Fire Brigade to build a ridiculously awesome and elaborate city block. Now I need to track down a Cafe Corner and Oh GoD The COMpuLsION IS kilLINg ME!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I got my order of Roman crapola from Brickforge today. I know, I know, we all hate non-official "lego" stuff like Megabloks but this stuff is so nice it might as well be "real". I can't recommend the sticker sheets, they are utter crap compared to other third party sticker sheets like those at Reprolabels, but the gladiuses, shields, helmets, and little red cresty things are all insanely nice. If worries about quality are keeping you from trying them, I'd just go for it. They are currently invading the persian castle from Battle of Almut, and it's not going well for the persians!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

What's a good price per pound on bulk legos?

Depends. Plain bulk bricks, I probably wouldn't pay more than $5/pound. A properly 'mixed' lot that hasn't been picked through that has minifigs tops out around $10/pound.
Specialized lots can obviously go for more. At Brickcon last year, I saw ziplocs of random old gray pieces being sold for $50. A mixed lot of old sets from the 80s or early 90s could certainly go for more, too. If the seller says the lot is a bunch of complete sets in good condition, it's worth more, too. A 'Star Wars Seller' selling all the sets he got after scalping the minifigs are probably worth 50% MSRP--the seller certainly paid for the sets with the figs (I just saw a guy on Craigslist post a minifig-free Clone Wars collection worth $1115 MSRP for $500).

VVVVVVVV

Carbohydrates posted:

How serious are ya? I might part with mine. :)

I'd love to get a Cafe Corner...for a reasonable price.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 28, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ireladd posted:

Now I need to track down a Cafe Corner and Oh GoD The COMpuLsION IS kilLINg ME!

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh good lord, my lego money spending is at ridiculous levels. How much were you thinking, because I'm definitely interested. :)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ireladd posted:

Oh good lord, my lego money spending is at ridiculous levels. How much were you thinking, because I'm definitely interested. :)
Here, email me so we don't clutter up the thread: redacted

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 28, 2010

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Bophf posted:

If anyone wants the other set, or just separate minifigures, I'll be happy to trade em or sell them for what I paid: $2.99 each. I don't want to be like the jerks on eBay trying to get $6 in profit off of one rare minifigure. If there's no takers, we'll just be happy making bizarre scenes where pop stars, ring masters and pharaohs co-exist peacefully.

If you don't get any takers of a more local nature, would you be willing to ship a complete set of series 2 to the UK? :)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I honestly wish LEGO had reprints. I'm sure if they re-released cafe corner it would be a huge hit. drat the secondary market I say.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pyroclastic posted:

Depends. Plain bulk bricks, I probably wouldn't pay more than $5/pound. A properly 'mixed' lot that hasn't been picked through that has minifigs tops out around $10/pound.
Specialized lots can obviously go for more. At Brickcon last year, I saw ziplocs of random old gray pieces being sold for $50. A mixed lot of old sets from the 80s or early 90s could certainly go for more, too. If the seller says the lot is a bunch of complete sets in good condition, it's worth more, too. A 'Star Wars Seller' selling all the sets he got after scalping the minifigs are probably worth 50% MSRP--the seller certainly paid for the sets with the figs (I just saw a guy on Craigslist post a minifig-free Clone Wars collection worth $1115 MSRP for $500).

I just got a 10 lbs lot with 7153 Jango Fett's Slave I, and 7143 Jedi Starfighter and 7111 Droid Fighter for about $100, so cool.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

djfooboo posted:

I honestly wish LEGO had reprints. I'm sure if they re-released cafe corner it would be a huge hit. drat the secondary market I say.

A few years ago Lego would release "Legends" sets, like the original Redbeard pirate ship. I was sad when they stopped the series.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54191445@N03/5016202400/

A halftrack with a mounted machine gun! This can't be real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sair posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54191445@N03/5016202400/

A halftrack with a mounted machine gun! This can't be real.

looks like indiana jones without a license