Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh, they had one of those slimpack DVD re-releases?

I remember having to resort to getting a big-box version on eBay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rirse posted:

I bought a copy of that from Half-Price Books a few months ago... doesn't work on Window 7 X64 :smith: Also I need to get Planetscape, I always heard great things about this game.

Runs fine on Win 7 for me. Videos are messed up, but once I alt-tab out of the game and back in, it works fine.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Probably because you're American. The DVD version was never released stateside.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

There was a fairly low-key boxed rerelease by Atari in the UK only last year, but that's it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have to wonder why those things aren't popular in the US (I bought Richard Burns Rally and Grand Prix Legends from one of those DVD rerelase packages overseas)

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ansob. posted:

There was a fairly low-key boxed rerelease by Atari in the UK only last year, but that's it.
Which all seem out of stock now.

Light-headed Fool
May 17, 2009

Where did my head go?

Ansob. posted:

It is still being sold in Finland, by - at least - one company. The price tag has doubled from what I paid: 39,99 loving euros. Jesus Christ. But yeah, it was really, really low-key re-release.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I have to wonder why those things aren't popular in the US (I bought Richard Burns Rally and Grand Prix Legends from one of those DVD rerelase packages overseas)

Honestly I almost always import UK packaged old games, where we here in the US get boxes, they have been having DVD cases on their games for many years now. I bought the hideously overcrowded DVD case (cds) version of Emperor: Battle For Dune on the cheap that way, speaking of which, that game is awesome and should have a GOG release since it has way too many glitches on current systems.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
This is annoying - I get tons of stuttering when playing the game normally, but when I put the game in Virtualbox it suddenly runs smoothly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Threep posted:

I don't think a lot of people gush over Torment's plot. It's the storytelling that's special, because it wouldn't have worked in any other medium. That's also why it's not relevant to compare Torment to Le Morte d'Arthur or whatever just like you wouldn't compare Poker Face to Metropolis.
Storytelling is definitely a better way to put it. There's so many ways to go through the dialog trees and each way progresses in a special way instead of a dialog tree where each choice just expounds on X part of the story.

The game interface and some of the progression flow is rear end backward and I've never been able to get very far to be honest. I am literally the worst Games Forum poster for this reason.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Wooo planescape torment, finnaly. I've held myself back from buying GOG stuff, but im going to get this ASAP.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

tentaclesex posted:

I wonder if they'd have the rights to publish

:fap:

It'd be a pain in the rear end to get working, especially with all the clocking issues. I remember I had to underclock my really old laptop to get it to work so some timed event wouldn't instantly explode.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Planescape: torment :dance:

Crank up wisdom and intelligence, and prepare to be blown away by one of the most awesome stories in a cRPG ever.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

GoldenNugget posted:

It'd be a pain in the rear end to get working, especially with all the clocking issues. I remember I had to underclock my really old laptop to get it to work so some timed event wouldn't instantly explode.

That's exactly why I want GoG to do it, because maybe they can get it sorted. I don't want to deal with it myself.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GOG.com posted:

Planescape: Torment

:awesome:

Won't be buying this right off, since I still have my hardcopy and there's a lot of good games on GOG that I don't have.

But it makes me happy to see it there nonetheless.

zedprime posted:

The game interface and some of the progression flow is rear end backward and I've never been able to get very far to be honest. I am literally the worst Games Forum poster for this reason.

I think that happens to a lot of people. It took me something like six tries to actually finish PS:T - the first five times I always got bogged down in the first combat-heavy section (the Weeping Stone Catacombs, Drowned Nations, and Warrens of Thought). The combat's not hard (especially with four party members and seven levels in Mage), but it's just so annoying.

The sixth time, though, I finally got past that and kicked myself for not sticking with it before. The game really takes off once you hit the Upper Ward. Get back in there and get your amnesia on.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Planescape: Torment: Officially no longer rarer than hen's teeth.

I've got this game in physical format (my brother got it off TradeMe.com [NZ eBay]), and I've already clocked it. I've still bought it on Gog, though.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Gah finally broke down and got it. Maybe I'll finally beat it this time. I got to Ravel but I wanted to do that one quest with that machine you commissioned in your former life. The item to finish it got bugged and I really didn't want to go through all that talking again...

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 28, 2010

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is Baldurs Gate combat considered better than Planescape combat? Because I just started playing it (Baldur´s Gate 1, with bg1tutu) for the first time and it seems to me as bad as I remembered Planescape combat to be.

But then, I hate real-time combat in party-based RPGs, all of then (I do kinda enjoyed it in KOTOR, though). Ive learned to accept it, since turn-based combat is nowdays considered evil, but to me, everything would be better of in turns, so I always think it sucks.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Planescape Torment on GoG is awesome. Is there any way to put it in windowed mode? I changed Fullscreen=1 in Torment.ini to Fullscreen=0 but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Windows 7 64-bit

Also any mods or suchlike to get to improve the game more?

Edit: I guess I'll just get the widescreen mods from the last page.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 28, 2010

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Xachariah posted:

Planescape Torment on GoG is awesome. Is there any way to put it in windowed mode? I changed Fullscreen=1 in Torment.ini to Fullscreen=0 but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have any ideas?

Windows 7 64-bit

Also any mods or suchlike to get to improve the game more?

Edit: I guess I'll just get the widescreen mods from the last page.

I've been told to get the latest fixpatch and the cut content mod. What is this person referring to?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is Baldurs Gate combat considered better than Planescape combat? Because I just started playing it (Baldur´s Gate 1, with bg1tutu) for the first time and it seems to me as bad as I remembered Planescape combat to be.

But then, I hate real-time combat in party-based RPGs, all of then (I do kinda enjoyed it in KOTOR, though). Ive learned to accept it, since turn-based combat is nowdays considered evil, but to me, everything would be better of in turns, so I always think it sucks.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I hate both BG1 and PS:T combat. However, PS:T has a few things going for it that BG1 doesn't:

- PS:T has the "Auto Pause: At End Of Round" setting, allowing you to fake turn-based combat in it (since you can issue orders while paused)
- PS:T has way less combat and way more :words: than BG1
- PS:T's :words: are better

Leaving me with the conclusion that (a) PS:T combat is better than BG1 combat, but they both suck and (b) PS:T is by far a better game than BG1.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

xarph posted:

I've been told to get the latest fixpatch and the cut content mod. What is this person referring to?
http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/pst-fixpack

ToxicFrog posted:

- PS:T has the "Auto Pause: At End Of Round" setting, allowing you to fake turn-based combat in it (since you can issue orders while paused)

I'm almost 100% sure that Baldur's Gate has this setting as well, though both games let you pause any time you want by hitting the spacebar so who cares?

Elmo Oxygen fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 28, 2010

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Go here for all your Planescape modding needs

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

It's a thorough overview on how to mod Planescape in the best possible way, with links to the best mods.

You can probably skip to step 3a.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 28, 2010

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Is that different to: http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=647 ?

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Xachariah posted:

Is that different to: http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=647 ?

^^^ That looks more up to date so go with that one I guess.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Jesus Planescape!

I might actually complete it this time.

I believe in Gog.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

theblackw0lf posted:

Go here for all your Planescape modding needs

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html

It's a thorough overview on how to mod Planescape in the best possible way, with links to the best mods.

You can probably skip to step 3a.

This all works great by the way. Can't complain so far.

Winepumpkin
Mar 27, 2004

I'm just, you know... I'm just the guy who does the thing.
Here's a wordy guide to getting the most out of Torment. Many of the steps are obviously unnecessary because it's a digital copy. Some of the mods/patches may have newer versions by now so be sure to visit the sites that are linked in the guide and look for them manually. Also, some mods/patches may need more work to be compatible with the GOG version of the game so you may have to wait a while for some dedicated fan to work it out. Good luck!

EDIT: Eh, beaten :(

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
*strokes all four CDs sitting next to him in their cardboard folding pseudo-jewel case thingy*

*:smug:*

loving GoG, getting me more excited about games that came out 10+ years ago than games that are coming out nowadays.

-Commentary on the modern games industry.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I'm almost 100% sure that Baldur's Gate has this setting as well, though both games let you pause any time you want by hitting the spacebar so who cares?

It does, I was just playing it sunday.

Cooter Libby
Jul 30, 2004

by angerbot
I've never played a Jagged Alliance game before and bought Jagged Alliance 2. Should I get the expansions before I start a game?

Also, wicked pumped for Planescape!

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

XausF1 posted:

*strokes all four CDs sitting next to him in their cardboard folding pseudo-jewel case thingy*

*:smug:*

loving GoG, getting me more excited about games that came out 10+ years ago than games that are coming out nowadays.

-Commentary on the modern games industry.

I have the CD's but I still bought it from GoG. Now I can download it whenever and I've a handy installer. Plus it's guaranteed to run.

Though I do have a weird issue. The character animation walk sideways half the time. Does this happen for everyone or is it just me?

Edit: If anyone else has this issue, turning on Software Mirroring in the video options fixes it.

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 28, 2010

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Nah, the expansions are stand-alone and vanilla JA2 is the best, pick them up later if you love the game. One thing to mention is the 1.13 fan patch. Personally I don't care that much for the new equipment nor some aspects of the gameplay overhaul, but most people love it and you can pick and choose what aspects of it you want enabled (make sure that the Drassen assault thingie is turned off).

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cooter Libby posted:

I've never played a Jagged Alliance game before and bought Jagged Alliance 2. Should I get the expansions before I start a game?

Just install the 1.13 fan made patch.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm going to burn through Planescape's dialogue at breakneck speeds, by which I mean I'll be snapping necks whenever possible. Harvest the spines! :black101:

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Has no meaning posted:

I'm going to burn through Planescape's dialogue at breakneck speeds, by which I mean I'll be snapping necks whenever possible. Harvest the spines! :black101:

That's always fun, but if you put the points into Dex to snap necks you have less points to put into Int, Wis or Cha for those glorious dialogue entries.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I started a Planescape thread a good while ago here, when it was first rereleased. Suffice to say, I'm a big fan. Anyone even remotely interested in RPGs, or just something a little different, should really give it a try. The closest thing in recent years was Mask of the Betrayer but they really don't make them like Planescape anymore. Absolute bargain for $10.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Xachariah posted:

That's always fun, but if you put the points into Dex to snap necks you have less points to put into Int, Wis or Cha for those glorious dialogue entries.

Not if you cheat. THough, doing an all 25 run is pretty bleeeh.
On the other hand it does make the combat slightly less annoying, but it is more enjoyable overall if you are not a maxed out bastard.

(I did it in my second run)

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Cooter Libby posted:

Like many people said before me, get the 1.13 mod. You don't need anything else. It adds like 50 pages of guns and attachments, redos the whole inventory system and ai, and it's just a lot funner than vanilla. You get 81mm mustard gas rounds for a mortar!

If you do this, you should probably turn off the drassen attack in the ini file because it's ridiculous to beat especially if it's your first time playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GoldenNugget posted:

Like many people said before me, get the 1.13 mod. You don't need anything else. It adds like 50 pages of guns and attachments, redos the whole inventory system and ai, and it's just a lot funner than vanilla. You get 81mm mustard gas rounds for a mortar!

If you do this, you should probably turn off the drassen attack in the ini file because it's ridiculous to beat especially if it's your first time playing the game.

It also adds pretty much all of the content (weapons, mercs) from the expansions save for the missions themselves (which aren't really that big a deal, the base game is much more interesting), meaning there's even less reason to get the expansion.