Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

T-1000 posted:

How could you miss at that range? They were probably close enough to touch.

You could touch at that range, which is why the scene is so stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noi Albinoi
Nov 4, 2008

Mister_Eel posted:

Assuming you're actually serious they changed it with the special editions that came out in the late 90s.

The reason people hate it is because when Han shot first it said something about the character. It showed that he was a ruthless smuggler that did whatever he felt was necessary to survive. When they made it so Greedo shot first it turns Han into a regular good guy that was just defending himself. Besides, the whole set up before the shots were fired shows you that Han intends to shoot Greedo. It's just stupid that Greedo's all "PEW!!!! OH poo poo I MISSED!!!" and then gets blasted.

That makes much more sense. Thanks.

Raccoon Leaf posted:

Greedo never shot in the original.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1YbFnkZwZk
I think it somehow works better without the subtitles

Original, Hans shot first. Special edition, Greedo. Still a stupid debate.

Noi Albinoi fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 26, 2010

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
Continuing on the Han/Greedo Topic...

When those special editions came out I remember getting so incredibly pumped about it. I love all the changed they made up until the cantina scene. When Greedo shot first something in my changed. I think I was too young to actually understand why that scene bothered me so much. A little bit of me died that day. When the ESB special edition came out I was just like "Meh, I guess I'll go see it." Good thing ESB had the least amount of changes cause I don't think I would have even bothered to see ROTJ.

I can see it now! The Wampa has a lightsaber!

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Noi Albinoi posted:

That makes much more sense. Thanks.

Yeah it is stupid. But not as stupid as the changes Jorge made. Some people see the original versions as the only true Star Wars. I myself pick and choose what I think is Star Wars. The rest gets ignored or packed into the dark room of my brain along with all the things I'd like to forget.

The OT, Heir to the Empire, X-wing books, pre 2000 video games, that's my Star Wars.

The Clone Wars, the PT, The Force Unleashed, that poo poo all goes in the dark room never to be released.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

Noi Albinoi posted:

I was just pointing out that there is no debate the way you originally framed it (as a factual issue of who shot first). That's like me pointing out that it's "Han" and not "Hans" and someone calling that a "debate" ;)

Noi Albinoi
Nov 4, 2008
I'm not arguing that. I just remembered this particular 'debate' and went to refresh my memory on what happened. To my surprise, there were still people arguing over the issue with such passion so I had to ask on here.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

T-1000 posted:

I think it was retconned in some EU garbage that he was a really lovely bounty hunter.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I think it was retconned in some EU garbage that he was a really lovely bounty hunter.

Don't think that's much of a retcon when said evidence of shittiness is pretty much on screen.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Mister_Eel posted:

Continuing on the Han/Greedo Topic...

When those special editions came out I remember getting so incredibly pumped about it. I love all the changed they made up until the cantina scene. When Greedo shot first something in my changed. I think I was too young to actually understand why that scene bothered me so much. A little bit of me died that day. When the ESB special edition came out I was just like "Meh, I guess I'll go see it." Good thing ESB had the least amount of changes cause I don't think I would have even bothered to see ROTJ.

I can see it now! The Wampa has a lightsaber!

I felt the same until I watched the DVD version.

CGI that looked fine when the SE movies came out now looks like total poo poo next to the old special effects. It's always really obvious when something wasn't originally in the movie.

And I didn't even watch the DVD version of RotJ. I hear it has Gungans.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Minorkos posted:

Oh man

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCTfMlAMn5M

"This is Jedi Mind Trick, it's a brand new Force power, and just like all of our other Force powers, we've completely re-envisioned it from the films...

... and on higher levels, they'll (mind tricked enemies) actually explode, they'll turn into like roaming smart bombs and they'll run into packs and explode"

"We took the Force pull power and made some enhancements. Now at higher levels you can literally make the air around you explode. We also took Force jump and gave it the ability to turn you into a rocket"

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

(Cross-posted from the Clone Wars TV thread.)

IIRC the Lucasfilm continuity people, mindful that Jorge is all up in this poo poo and liable to flip everything on its head due to any whim arising from a random burr up his rear end at a given time, and that there's already been pretty heavy saturation of books, comics, and games from before the show came out, won't really try to resolve any Clone Wars timeline questions until after the show runs its course.

I'd actually like for them to expand that timeline. Have the Clone Wars last upwards of six years instead of just three and it gives a little more room to play around with the passage of time believably. It also helps mitigate against minor spergy fan stuff like the old retcon of the Clone Wars being way earlier (from the Thrawn books) or Obi-Wan being old as gently caress in ANH.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I am surprised Lucas didn't make Obi-Wan get a non-lethal wound from Dooku or Anakin. Something like his leg getting a massive gash, but not requiring prosthetics.

Solves any fan rage about why Obi-Wan is so much slower and hobbling 19 years later.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Silver Brushes posted:

It's the Dex's Diner waitress droid from AotC, don't recognize the other one from anything though

I didn't notice because I'd deliberately forgotten about the diner scene. :shobon:

Mister Roboto posted:

I am surprised Lucas didn't make Obi-Wan get a non-lethal wound from Dooku or Anakin. Something like his leg getting a massive gash, but not requiring prosthetics.

Solves any fan rage about why Obi-Wan is so much slower and hobbling 19 years later.

Dooku does wound Obi-Wan after frying Anakin with lightning.

Then Anakin gets better, fights Dooku with two lightsabers, gets one cut in half right away, gets an arm chopped off, and then Yoda shows up for some awful CGI combat.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The existence of the Yoda lightsaber battles pretty much would render ridiculous any attempts to explain away the tameness of the Episode IV duel.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Minorkos posted:

Oh man

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCTfMlAMn5M

Aaaggh, Starkiller running around with two lightsabers behind his back still looks stupid as gently caress and makes me go "whyyyyyy" every time I see a TFU2 video. It's just so mind-bogglingly horrible. And I even liked the first game!!

e: I can't even get worked up about the MIND TRICK FORCE BOMBS and other stuff since the basic premise of the game is "hey guys look look HE HAS TWO LIGHTSABERS NOW how cool is that" and it's dumb enough to make me not care anymore

ALLAN LASSUS fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 26, 2010

hellsy
May 8, 2005
enjoy badger bleeding
This just came out a week ago How the empire strikes back should of ended, I loved his new hope one too. Its pretty funny.

http://www.howitshouldhaveended.com/ (its on the front page)

See what you think!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The obi-wan injury post made me remember the dooku fight in EP3. Right when Obi-wan is taken out of the fight dooku drops an entire deck level on his legs and it doesn't seem to shatter every bone below his waist. Anyone else bothered by that?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Kingtheninja posted:

The obi-wan injury post made me remember the dooku fight in EP3. Right when Obi-wan is taken out of the fight dooku drops an entire deck level on his legs and it doesn't seem to shatter every bone below his waist. Anyone else bothered by that?

The only true injury in Lucas' world is the broken heart.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

:colbert: Sundered heart.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
In fact, in the new SW MMORPG the ingame classes will be; Trooper, Jedi, Bounty Hunter and Heart Surgeon. The HS will be a wholly original creation, a mix between a medical droid and a divorce attorney.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Kingtheninja posted:

The Vong war really interests me, but isn't it a lot of books for that series?

The entire series is over 20 books. I read just the 3 or 4 hardcovers because it's all my library had and it pretty much covers all the major issues of the series. You can google the other smaller books to get summaries.

JihadforChrist
Mar 19, 2010
I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me what I'm talking about here or if its some fever dream I had once.

When I was young before I saw even my 1st Star Wars movie I read some Star Wars book with pictures in it.

It appeared to be based on Return of the Jedi but something was different. Luke was fighting Vader on a planet possibly Endor and there was something where Vader was defeated and Luke wants to kill him and Vader says "I deserve to die" or something along those lines. There was an explosion in the facility and I don't think vader made it.

I remember the walls being pure white with those distinctive star wars pipes/tubes and stuff and everything was just huge photos.

Or am I just crazy? I swear its real.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

T-1000 posted:

I could have swore they edited the scene so Han does a :nyd: to dodge the shot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Drighton posted:

That was on the DVD. It was George's way of "fixing" it. The shots happen closer together, and Han does a ridiculous CGI sideways shift before the shot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

The entire series is over 20 books. I read just the 3 or 4 hardcovers because it's all my library had and it pretty much covers all the major issues of the series. You can google the other smaller books to get summaries.

The Vong War books was were i just couldn't go on after a certain point. The first few books (besides the moon dropping) seemed ok, but the plot just kept getting stupider, and it basically seemed like the authors were just inventing new super powers for them and making the fight one sided. At least that is what it seemed to me.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Has one of these things ever been a Jedi? This is important.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Drighton posted:

His neck moves in a way that no neck moves in reality.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

His neck moves in a way that no neck moves in reality.

It actually looks shittier then when he steps on Jabbas tail. God. I still remember the first time I saw it back in the theatre in, what was it, 97? It looked like Han was walking up a flight of stairs.

abscr
Aug 3, 2004

All hypocrites should die . . . except for me.

thrawn527 posted:

That was on the DVD. It was George's way of "fixing" it. The shots happen closer together, and Han does a ridiculous CGI sideways shift before the shot.

I remember the CGI shift being in both, with the DVD version looking marginally less retarded than the SE version.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

abscr posted:

I remember the CGI shift being in both, with the DVD version looking marginally less retarded than the SE version.

You may be right. It's been so long since I've seen the Special Edition VHS version, that I'm probably wrong.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well I just found the only redeeming part of TFU II.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Casimir Radon posted:

Well I just found the only redeeming part of TFU II.

Sold.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

http://heatvision.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/09/star-wars-movies-coming-in-2012.html

Oh dear.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Is anyone surprised? I'm not.

Look for a Starkiller cameo.

The Article posted:

Each conversion takes at least a year to complete, with Lucas personally overseeing the process to make sure each one is as perfected as possible.

Yep. "Perfected".

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

:ughh: I would watch the films in theaters again, but not this 3-D bullshit. (But then, I don't have binocular vision.)

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Sure am tired of all these star wars.

--me, 2013, after watching Anakin and Padme frolic in the grass in MIND-BLOWING 3D

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The death star trench run is gonna look so awesome. :D

Also looking forward to R2-D2 sticking his scomp link into various orifices in 3D.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I distinctly remember posting about the 3d Star Wars remakes in this thread, multiple times. How could anyone be surprised at this?

Fat Slut
Feb 24, 2010
Hello friends!!!!
[img]https://wi.somethingawful.com/fa/fa4d4ef5024534bc6ac146d480d9f27f19f0c48b.jpg[/im]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

sniper4625 posted:

Is anyone surprised? I'm not.

Look for a Starkiller cameo.

Yep. "Perfected".

Article posted:

Part One, “The Phantom Menace,” would be first out of star-dock in the early months of 2012. After that, each of the films would be released in order at the same time each consecutive year, depending on how well the first re-release does.

I'm sure they planned it this way, so they won't have to do 2-6 :v: