Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

JazzFlight posted:

Gabriel Knight 3? Even with the cat hair mustache puzzle?

The cat hair mustache puzzle is bad, yes. But the Le Serpent Rouge series of puzzles are bar none the best puzzles I have ever come across in a video game, period. GK 3 manages to be simultaneously the death rattle and the swan song of the adventure game genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kreeblah posted:

Oh, God drat it. I thought that was a wall. Apparently I'm retarded.

To be fair, sometimes is hard to tell. And it get worst, there´s some areas where you can hardly tell were you are supposed to walk.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

macnbc posted:

Journeyman Project 2 says no. :colbert:

:argh: Journeyman Project!

I played JP3 ages ago. Now I don't want to play JP2 until I've had a chance to play JP1, but the first one is impossible to find and I'm starting to doubt that the remake, Pegasus Prime, ever even existed.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

The cat hair mustache puzzle is bad, yes. But the Le Serpent Rouge series of puzzles are bar none the best puzzles I have ever come across in a video game, period. GK 3 manages to be simultaneously the death rattle and the swan song of the adventure game genre.

Nah, that's The Longes Journey.

GK3 is really good though. The cat hair moustache was just too funny not to mock, the game was fine.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

Well said. The importance of the little cat puzzle is exaggerated to unbelievable proportions and while it's one of the worst examples of adventure game logic, it hardly ruins the game. I have to say that the cuckoo clock / clubhouse puzzle in GK2 bothered me a lot more.

I have to admit I've never played Planescape, a fact which should be corrected soon, but the Gabriel Knight series can't be far from having the best story-writing in the history of video games.

Zat fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 29, 2010

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Step 1: Cause internet high-and-mighties to bitch along the lines of 'I'M NEVER BUYING FROM THEM EVER AGAIN AND IF I DO I'LL POST A VIDEO OF ME SUCKING MY PET DOG OFF TOXX TOXX TOXX'.
Step 2: Re-release one of the most infamous pieces of abandonware in computer game history.
Step 3: Laugh maniacally.

These guys are either very clever or very lucky. First, people buy like crazy because they never know when GOG.com might go down again, with the reasoning being that the guys behind it are clearly willing to take it down for stupid reasons. Then, this is combined with one of the most improbable re-releases in history. Other companies have wet dreams about this sort of situation.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 29, 2010

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

ToxicFrog posted:

I played JP3 ages ago. Now I don't want to play JP2 until I've had a chance to play JP1, but the first one is impossible to find and I'm starting to doubt that the remake, Pegasus Prime, ever even existed.

Pegasus Prime was Mac only, if that makes a difference. It also just finished being LP'd over here. Haven't read through the whole thread but it'd probably be a good place to look for it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Zat posted:

Well said. The importance of the little cat puzzle is exaggerated to unbelievable proportions and while it's one of the worst examples of adventure game logic, it hardly ruins the game. I have to say that the cuckoo clock / clubhouse puzzle in GK2 bothered me a lot more.

I have to admit I've never played Planescape, a fact which should be corrected soon, but the Gabriel Knight series can't be far from having the best story-writing in the history of video games.

I will defend to my dying day the Gabriel Knight series as having excellent plot, storytelling, and characters. I will also give it huge ups for Gabriel Knight 3 beating The DaVinci Code to the punch and never getting the credit for it.

Planescape, however, is something entirely different. If GK is a drat solid mystery, PS:T is a philosophical treatise on the nature of existence, with the benefit of a talking skull for a sidekick.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Prediction of the remaining five Atari-Hasbro properties (with no claim made concerning release order):

Icewind Dale and expansions (Published by Interplay, which GOG.com's also signed with)
Baldur's Gate II and expansion
Icewind Dale II
Neverwinter Nights and expansions
Temple of Elemental Evil

So yeah. Although GOG.com undoubtedly isn't allowed to make overt reference to Dungeons and Dragons, this could turn out to be an epic DnD-fest.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 29, 2010

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
gently caress yes, Planescape! Finally!

Now bring on these bad boys:

BiggerJ posted:

Icewind Dale and expansions (Published by Interplay, which GOG.com's also signed with)
Icewind Dale II
Temple of Elemental Evil

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Elias_Maluco posted:

To be fair, sometimes is hard to tell. And it get worst, there´s some areas where you can hardly tell were you are supposed to walk.

I've found that viewing the map will show you where stairs and (to a degree) doors and poo poo are. It's not the best method, but when I'm clicking around and getting fed up with The Nameless One commenting on every step, it helps to see where I might want to go. You can also add comments to the map, so if there's a locked cabinet, you can mark it down and come back to it when you have something big and angled.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

BiggerJ posted:

Prediction of the remaining five Atari-Hasbro properties (with no claim made concerning release order):

Icewind Dale II
Temple of Elemental Evil

So yeah. Although GOG.com undoubtedly isn't allowed to make overt reference to Dungeons and Dragons, this could turn out to be an epic DnD-fest.
NwN 1 runs just fine on windows 7 for me? Same for Temple of Elemental Evil.

Batham fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 29, 2010

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Batham posted:

NwN 1 runs just fine on windows 7 for me? Same for Temple of Elemental Evil.

Uh, what are you talking about? GOG.com isn't just about compatibility with current systems. It's also about DRM-free releases, and sometimes, games getting re-released at all. Not everyone wants to track down copies on eBay, and some people are uppity about DRM.

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Eagerly awaiting BG2 because I've yet to play more than like an hour of it.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

BiggerJ posted:

Uh, what are you talking about? GOG.com isn't just about compatibility with current systems. It's also about DRM-free releases, and sometimes, games getting re-released at all. Not everyone wants to track down copies on eBay, and some people are uppity about DRM.
Ah, didn't know that, sorry. However, there are still a few issues with the games you mentioned.

Didn't Atari halt NwN1 sales and pull down all the available DLC to promote NwN2? I don't think you can even download the DLC anymore, let alone buy it. People kept flocking towards NwN1 but not so much towards NwN2 from what I understand. Still, a lot of time has passed since NwN2 has been released. I hope however, that if it's released on GoG that they bundle the DLC with it since I missed out on it. :(

Then there's Temple of Elemental Evil. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I don't think they'll add this one to their collection. It has some of the best combat out there but it is a very, very buggy game even with patches. Only after installing some fan mods it's somewhat stable. Unless they've released games in a similar state before, ofcourse.

Batham fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 29, 2010

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Batham posted:

Then there's Temple of Elemental Evil. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but I don't think they'll add this one to their collection. It has some of the best combat out there but it is a very, very buggy game even with patches. Only after installing some fan mods it's somewhat stable. Unless they've released games in a similar state before, ofcourse.

GOG.com doesn't bundle fanmade patches with downloads for obvious publisher-related reasons but they have been known to make and sticky threads containing links to particularly vital fanmade patches in the forum.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

a japanese pop icon posted:

Eagerly awaiting BG2 because I've yet to play more than like an hour of it.

Well if you've done that then the first thing you'll want to do is download Dungeonbegone to get rid of that loving first hour.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

BiggerJ posted:

Although GOG.com undoubtedly isn't allowed to make overt reference to Dungeons and Dragons, this could turn out to be an epic DnD-fest.

Both Baldur's Gate's and PST's title cards have the D&D logo at the bottom of them on the site. Based off of that, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually required them to make reference to them being Dungeons and Dragons games.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

pyrotek posted:

Both Baldur's Gate's and PST's title cards have the D&D logo at the bottom of them on the site. Based off of that, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually required them to make reference to them being Dungeons and Dragons games.

Didn't notice that. Since it's likely that more DnD games are on the way - and entirely possible that the Hasbro Seven might all be DnD games, it's odd that they're not making more reference to it. Probably because it's not an overly computer-game related brand - the identities of the individual games sell better than the brand.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 29, 2010

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BiggerJ posted:

Didn't notice that. Since it's likely that more DnD games are on the way - and entirely possible that the Hasbro Seven might all be DnD game - , it's odd that they're not making more reference to it. Probably because it's not an overly computer-game related brand - the identities of the individual games sell better than the brand.

I think anyone who cares already knows what's coming.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
My wife is going to absolutely hate me by the end of this month. I think this is all another huge trolling effort by GoG to ruin non-single relationships by forcing them to shell out money every week and then constantly play intensive RPGs.

I can't wait to see what's next. I bought BG1 even though I have the discs (no more swapping!). Playing through with the old interface proved much less painful than I thought too.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
GOG has a wishlist feature :ssh:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I know it's technically been released for free anyway and this isn't strictly gog.com news but:

http://twitter.com/thatbarnettblok

:woop:

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I know this is liable to get me lynched around here, but I'm really disappointed with Fallout. I never got to play it back in the day. The amount of hype it gets led me to believe it was going to be incredible, but I just found it slow, clunky and frustrating.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Have you had the satisfaction of targeting a raider's arm and crippling it so that he cannot shoot properly, then finishing him off with a shot to the eyes?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gasmask posted:

I know this is liable to get me lynched around here, but I'm really disappointed with Fallout. I never got to play it back in the day. The amount of hype it gets led me to believe it was going to be incredible, but I just found it slow, clunky and frustrating.

Solution: restart game. Go unarmed. Nutpunch everyone.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

rt4 posted:

Have you had the satisfaction of targeting a raider's arm and crippling it so that he cannot shoot properly, then finishing him off with a shot to the eyes?

Can't you do that in Fallout 3?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yes, but for some reason I found it less fun than in the original. Probably because in Fallout 3 I ended up really powerful pretty quickly. No need for strategy when you're killing every human in one shot already.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bat Ham posted:

Pegasus Prime was Mac only, if that makes a difference. It also just finished being LP'd over here. Haven't read through the whole thread but it'd probably be a good place to look for it.

Being Mac only didn't stop me from playing Pathways into Darkness or Iron Helix. :colbert: Although that loving robot prevented me from ever finishing Iron Helix.

I'll check out the LP; worst case, I can always watch that, then get Buried in Time from GOG.

EDIT: Or I guess I could play JP1 Turbo, I've just wanted to play Pegasus Prime since I heard about it.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 29, 2010

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ToxicFrog posted:

I still have my original CD somewhere. It came as a gift with my "multimedia kit" (that was what we called those kits with a CD-ROM drive, a soundboard and speakers, which where sold back in the days CD-ROM drives for PCs were just starting to get popular).

It was a good game, I still remember it very well. Interesting plot and beautiful scenarios. Never played the sequels, though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Gasmask posted:

For me it was game as a whole that made it one of the best games I've ever played. I played a demo back when it was released but never even got out of the first cave. I though it was slow and clunky back then too. I recently played it and stuck with it and honestly, I can't remember much of the gameplay but I remember my story clearly, as if I'd read a really fun and compelling book.

My story of getting out of the Vault meeting up with a dog and a bodyguard, finding a horrific torture/operation room underground, having my eye ripped out by the doctor there, having my dog lunge at said doctor's throat and my friend opening fire on his henchmen, losing them both in a battle against giant mutants while trying to blow up a facility, having nothing left to lose and infiltrating a church wearing an invisibility device, getting caught and brought before some abomination with delusions of grandeur, refusing to join him and getting completely destroyed by his gun-turrets and henchmen...

That was my story.

I played through it once, and it's one of my favorite gaming memories.

I don't know where I was going with this. Stick with it, I guess.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

BiggerJ posted:

GOG.com doesn't bundle fanmade patches with downloads for obvious publisher-related reasons but they have been known to make and sticky threads containing links to particularly vital fanmade patches in the forum.

MoO2 is bundled with a fan patch:
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/master_of_orion/moo2_already_1_40
http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

I'm bad at adventure and RPG games and so when I started out playing PST last night I got stuck and read a walkthrough that said that I needed a bone charm to open a portal near Deionarra...which is locked up in some random third-floor cabinet that has no key that I need to force open with a crowbar, all while avoiding the dustmen that start a fight with me if I hang around too long. Surely there is a better way out of the Mortuary than this?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Emo Businessman posted:

I'm bad at adventure and RPG games and so when I started out playing PST last night I got stuck and read a walkthrough that said that I needed a bone charm to open a portal near Deionarra...which is locked up in some random third-floor cabinet that has no key that I need to force open with a crowbar, all while avoiding the dustmen that start a fight with me if I hang around too long. Surely there is a better way out of the Mortuary than this?

There are several. Convince a dustman you are lost. Steal a key off the gatekeeper. Dress up like a dustman and see if you can get out. These are all possible ways iirc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gasmask posted:

how to beat fallout:

Step 1: 10 Luck
Step 2: Jinxed

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

synertia posted:

There are several. Convince a dustman you are lost. Steal a key off the gatekeeper. Dress up like a dustman and see if you can get out. These are all possible ways iirc.

Also disguise yourself as a zombie, or just run like a little bitch (I've resorted to that a few times :downs:)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, PST doesn't have the "you must gather your companions" thing, so if all else fails in combat areas, just make a mad dash for the exit

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Emo Businessman posted:

all while avoiding the dustmen that start a fight with me if I hang around too long. Surely there is a better way out of the Mortuary than this?

You did a dumb thing and didn't max out Wisdom and Intelligence at character creation, didn't you?

(Other people have already pointed out the seventeen zillion different solutions for leaving the Mortuary.)

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Batham posted:

Ah, didn't know that, sorry. However, there are still a few issues with the games you mentioned.

Didn't Atari halt NwN1 sales and pull down all the available DLC to promote NwN2? I don't think you can even download the DLC anymore, let alone buy it. People kept flocking towards NwN1 but not so much towards NwN2 from what I understand. Still, a lot of time has passed since NwN2 has been released. I hope however, that if it's released on GoG that they bundle the DLC with it since I missed out on it. :(

Well, with the SE of NWN2 you got a dvd of NWN1 + Expansions, so i highly doubt it, i think just like any older pc games it became fairly hard to track down. At one point I had like 5 copies though, they kept giving the game away with other packs here for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or was NWN just totally soulless?