Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I definitely think it's Nocturne. The scene you're describing is right out of the beginning of that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Sanford posted:

I doubt anyone will get this, but it's worth a try. Game for the Amiga from the early 90's. Text based adventure with static pictures for each new area. I don't have much to go on because I don't remember progressing more than 3 or 4 screens into the game. It started with you on the bus on Endless Street, where you lived. You had to get off at the right stop because if you missed it or got off somewhere else, you just went up and down the endless street for ever and ever and could never progress any further. If you did get off at the right place, you could go to your house. Shortly after arriving the phone rang and someone screamed down it about "things" attacking her, or trashing her house, or something? It may have been your house that was trashed when you went in, actually. And that's it, all I remember. Anyone got any idea?

This is the excellent Jinxter, by Magnetic Scrolls.

Wharghoul
Sep 17, 2010

infact you I'm not even here
I'm looking for a circa 1997 point and click adventure game for the PC. The details are foggy aside from an eerie atmosphere and a flesh toned demon that would try to steal a baby.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

IXCE posted:

Is it Alone of the Dark: The New Nightmare?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VC6bC1m7b0

Or maybe Alone in the Dark 3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH4-UE-on00

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
I've never actually played this game, but I remember watching the trailer on a Game Empire disc or something and it involved dinosaurs and artifacts and had Ice MCs "Think About the Way" playing

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Orgophlax posted:

This screenshot is very similar to what I'm seeing in my head, I just don't ever remember playing this game.

Was there a demo or anything released for it on a cover disk for a magazine?

There was a demo for it that was on some magazine discs back in the day. I thought of Nocturne when you first posted that description too.

edit: And the demo was the road section from the start!

Hal Incandenza fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 19, 2010

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I remember a coin-op game from the early or mid 90's. It had an overhead 3/4 isometric view, and the main area was rocky 'islands' hanging in space. You could enter sub-areas from there, and go back freely. The overall theme was swords and sorcery, in fact it looked and felt a lot like Gauntlet Legends. The graphics were very good for the time.

I went to The Arcade Museum (formerly KLOV) and did a search for 'isometric', which turned up Dark Seal II and Light Bringer, which aren't it.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Hal Incandenza posted:

There was a demo for it that was on some magazine discs back in the day. I thought of Nocturne when you first posted that description too.

edit: And the demo was the road section from the start!
You know which case the road starts? I got a hold of the game to see if it's what I remember but when I start the first case you begin inside a building.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Orgophlax posted:

You know which case the road starts? I got a hold of the game to see if it's what I remember but when I start the first case you begin inside a building.

I think it is the third scene in the first case...

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Gynovore posted:

I remember a coin-op game from the early or mid 90's. It had an overhead 3/4 isometric view, and the main area was rocky 'islands' hanging in space. You could enter sub-areas from there, and go back freely. The overall theme was swords and sorcery, in fact it looked and felt a lot like Gauntlet Legends. The graphics were very good for the time.

I went to The Arcade Museum (formerly KLOV) and did a search for 'isometric', which turned up Dark Seal II and Light Bringer, which aren't it.
Can you describe the gameplay a bit more? It's reminding me of Legendary Wings, but I have a feeling you're looking for something else.

Furril
Apr 26, 2003

by Ozmaugh
I'm trying to remember a game I played in an arcade once.

you played one of two (you could Co-op with a friend) surfer dude secret agents where wear scuba gear and shoot sharks, swimming underwater and into the secret lair of some vampy female evil villain.

The guys would have canned "dude" statements when they got hit like "How Rude!"

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

duckfarts posted:

Can you describe the gameplay a bit more? It's reminding me of Legendary Wings, but I have a feeling you're looking for something else.

Unfortunately, that's about all I know. I didn't get a chance to play it, and only saw it a few times. The gameplay was a lot like the Gauntlet Legends series, running around and whacking baddies with swords and stuff. Legendary Wings is a topscrolling shooter, that's not it.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I've been playing Master of Magic and Age of Wonders today, and they've reminded me of a game I used to play but I can't put my finger on it at all. I remember that it was a turn based strategy game (I'm 99% sure it was turn based but it might have been RTS) and it was fantasy, so, orcs and elves and poo poo like that. I remember there were quite a few factions to choose from and you could customize the banner that you used - This is a huge thing that I remembered for some reason - then you went around a map that was pretty big trying to conquer/ally with everyone. I'm pretty sure it was turn based since I remember playing it with my brother and us taking it in, well, turns controlling different races and allying together.

I looked through a list on Gamespot of turn based strategy games for PC but couldn't find it. It's gotta be pretty old, older than say 2003 for sure I think. I'm pretty sure all the world was 2d so no 3d games.

Ugh, if anyone can help with this i'll be really grateful, it's bugging me.

Edit - Warlords 3 : Reign of Heroes. I think. Now I just need to find it.

Thievery fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 23, 2010

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Stumbled across this screenshot today, I've got no idea what game it's from:

Sorry about the tiny size, that's the original size of the picture.

Anyone know what it's from?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

From a pseudo-Xcom sort of game called Silent Storm, they're called panzerkleins.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Awesome, thanks!

Automatic Jack
Aug 6, 2010
Maybe this only exists in my head but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned... somewhere. It has to do with the voice actor of Deadly Premonition's Agent York, Jeff Kramer, who was also the voice of Seaman. I heard somewhere that he did voice work for another game- Japanese, I believe- and I think the entire game was escaping from an earthquake. More than that I cannot recall.

I guess any game revolving around getting out of an earthquake is probably the one I'm thinking of, but I'm not that familiar with Japanese titles. If it was indeed Japanese. Oh boy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Automatic Jack posted:

Maybe this only exists in my head but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned... somewhere. It has to do with the voice actor of Deadly Premonition's Agent York, Jeff Kramer, who was also the voice of Seaman. I heard somewhere that he did voice work for another game- Japanese, I believe- and I think the entire game was escaping from an earthquake. More than that I cannot recall.

I guess any game revolving around getting out of an earthquake is probably the one I'm thinking of, but I'm not that familiar with Japanese titles. If it was indeed Japanese. Oh boy.

Well, there're the Disaster Report games as well as Disaster: Day of Crisis. Aren't that many other earthquake games out there.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Psychorider posted:

That sounds a lot like Shadowcaster.

yea this is it... thanks!

Automatic Jack
Aug 6, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, there're the Disaster Report games as well as Disaster: Day of Crisis. Aren't that many other earthquake games out there.
Yes! I do believe that's the one. Zettai Zetsumei Toshi. Thanks.

cplagge
Sep 2, 2008
I remember playing this game on my aptiva desktop in like 94 or something. The game is the same age as Cyberia, but it is all live action adventure style, and I believe you play as the captain, and like every scene is a list of options ( For instance, you start out fast asleep and you are called to the bridge, and you have to chose whether you want to make him shower first, or just grab some coffee). Its one of those games where every tiny decision changes the outcome of the game.

cplagge
Sep 2, 2008

Thievery posted:

I've been playing Master of Magic and Age of Wonders today, and they've reminded me of a game I used to play but I can't put my finger on it at all. I remember that it was a turn based strategy game (I'm 99% sure it was turn based but it might have been RTS) and it was fantasy, so, orcs and elves and poo poo like that. I remember there were quite a few factions to choose from and you could customize the banner that you used - This is a huge thing that I remembered for some reason - then you went around a map that was pretty big trying to conquer/ally with everyone. I'm pretty sure it was turn based since I remember playing it with my brother and us taking it in, well, turns controlling different races and allying together.

I looked through a list on Gamespot of turn based strategy games for PC but couldn't find it. It's gotta be pretty old, older than say 2003 for sure I think. I'm pretty sure all the world was 2d so no 3d games.

Ugh, if anyone can help with this i'll be really grateful, it's bugging me.

Edit - Warlords 3 : Reign of Heroes. I think. Now I just need to find it.

that sounds a lot like warlords 3 Dark Lords rising to me. Not sure if thats the same as Reign of Heroes

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
There's this cyberpunk vampire adventure pc game? .. innit Van Helsing was a vampire, bit the main character, who had a chip in his brain keepin him from turning to vamp.. had a cyberpunkish name that I cant recall.. so halp?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kemmler posted:

There's this cyberpunk vampire adventure pc game? .. innit Van Helsing was a vampire, bit the main character, who had a chip in his brain keepin him from turning to vamp.. had a cyberpunkish name that I cant recall.. so halp?

Would this be BloodNet?

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
I've got several here I've been trying to remember...

1) NES game. It was a side-scroller shooter, I seem to remember the character being a futuristic space person, and you could upgrade your guns. Similar to Metroid, but mixed with Contra. I specifically remember moving left in one level, I think the floor was a bluish green color, there were stars in the background and the gun I had shot a star in a wavy pattern. It wasn't Mega Man. Captain Comic

2) Another NES game. It was similar to Dragon Warrior graphically from what I remember, but the fighting was very different. I think it was basically a button mashing-fest, each press would be a turn and you'd do damage, the enemy would do damage. There was no battle screen, and I seem to remember a blue worm-slime thing, and a vampire you had to fight. Hydlide

3) Genesis game. It was basically Diablo before Diablo, random dungeons, you'd go in and try to find your way up a tower, I think to fight a dragon. It'd be different every time you played, and there were colored potions and scrolls whose effects would also be randomized each playthrough. I think every five levels the palette changed and the enemies got significantly more difficult. I think I remember there being a food/hunger stat and if you got too full you'd slow down significantly, and if you starved you'd die. Fatal Labyrinth

4) PC? game. It reminded me of Contra, all I remember though is you were some sort of robot guy maybe? I think each level you beat you'd upgrade your weapons. Sounds a lot like Mega Man, but it's definitely not anything Mega Man related. I think I also played it, or a sequel/knockoff/something on the Genesis. The name, I THINK, started with T, and there was a c in there, but I'm not sure on that at all. Turrican

5) PC game. It was along the lines of King's Quest (and indeed possibly part of the series), where you met with I think a princess or maiden of some sort, possibly at night and she may have been wearing a pink dress. There was voice acting, and I know for sure it was after King's Quest V. I don't THINK it was VI, but it may have been. King's Quest VII

6) PlayStation game. I remember horribly long loading times, and fighting dogs. The game was absolutely terrible, and the controls were like Resident Evil gone bad. I know, very descriptive. It seemed like it was trying to be a beat-em-up game. I think there were only 4 levels, but I never managed to beat even one. Perfect Weapon

7) Another PlayStation game. It was like Dragon's Lair, in that it was cinematics where you'd press a button at the right time. I remember a rocket wheel chair in the hospital, three discs, and incredibly big save files even though there was a password system only three characters long. Fox Hunt

8) PlayStation 2 game. I saw my cousin playing this one, it was like a real time strategy game, where you deployed 4 characters onto a battle field. You could change their types from infantry to cavalry to a couple others. There'd be advantages and disadvantages to each. You had to capture the enemy's base, and if you encountered an enemy it'd go into a fighting game scene. There were also towers you could capture that had to be defended.

9) PC? game. It was along the lines of Age of Wonders, and Lords of Magic. There was a fire spell in it called Point Flare, which reminded me a lot of Chrono Trigger's Flare spell. That's all I remember.

Bargain bin Laden fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 1, 2010

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.

HereticSenility posted:

Would this be BloodNet?

Yup bloodnet it is, now google actually found something :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bargain bin Laden posted:

2) Another NES game. It was similar to Dragon Warrior graphically from what I remember, but the fighting was very different. I think it was basically a button mashing-fest, each press would be a turn and you'd do damage, the enemy would do damage. There was no battle screen, and I seem to remember a blue worm-slime thing, and a vampire you had to fight.
Pretty sure this is (big piece of poo poo) Hydlide

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

Pablo Gigante posted:

Pretty sure this is (big piece of poo poo) Hydlide

That's it. Now I remember why I don't remember it, and can quickly forget it again, thanks.

VV That's it as well. Woo, childhood.

Bargain bin Laden fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 29, 2010

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X

4) PC? game. It reminded me of Contra, all I remember though is you were some sort of robot guy maybe? I think each level you beat you'd upgrade your weapons. Sounds a lot like Mega Man, but it's definitely not anything Mega Man related. I think I also played it, or a sequel/knockoff/something on the Genesis. The name, I THINK, started with T, and there was a c in there, but I'm not sure on that at all.

You're probably thinking of one of the Turrican games. There was a spinoff called 'Mega Turrican' for the Genesis.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

6) PlayStation game. I remember horribly long loading times, and fighting dogs. The game was absolutely terrible, and the controls were like Resident Evil gone bad. I know, very descriptive. It seemed like it was trying to be a beat-em-up game. I think there were only 4 levels, but I never managed to beat even one.

This is almost certainly the same game I was trying to remember some time ago—Perfect Weapon.

7) Another PlayStation game. It was like Dragon's Lair, in that it was cinematics where you'd press a button at the right time. I remember a rocket wheel chair in the hospital, three discs, and incredibly big save files even though there was a password system only three characters long.

The only animated FMV game for PS1 I even know of is Brain Dead 13. From what little I've seen of the game, I think that may be it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 29, 2010

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

1) NES game. It was a side-scroller shooter, I seem to remember the character being a futuristic space person, and you could upgrade your guns. Similar to Metroid, but mixed with Contra. I specifically remember moving left in one level, I think the floor was a bluish green color, there were stars in the background and the gun I had shot a star in a wavy pattern. It wasn't Mega Man.

Journey to Silius?

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

Cidrick posted:

Journey to Silius?

Nope. It's pretty close though, just think a bit lower quality, almost mickey mousey in the design.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

3) Genesis game. It was basically Diablo before Diablo, random dungeons, you'd go in and try to find your way up a tower, I think to fight a dragon. It'd be different every time you played, and there were colored potions and scrolls whose effects would also be randomized each playthrough. I think every five levels the palette changed and the enemies got significantly more difficult. I think I remember there being a food/hunger stat and if you got too full you'd slow down significantly, and if you starved you'd die.

The Immortal?

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

5) PC game. It was along the lines of King's Quest (and indeed possibly part of the series), where you met with I think a princess or maiden of some sort, possibly at night and she may have been wearing a pink dress. There was voice acting, and I know for sure it was after King's Quest V. I don't THINK it was VI, but it may have been.

Was it King's Quest VII?. I know this game had Princess Rosella as the protagonist, and there are a few segments where it's night time (I think in the desert, as well as the Bogeyman encounter in the graveyard). It had voice acting and a Disney-esque animation style in-game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

3) Genesis game. It was basically Diablo before Diablo, random dungeons, you'd go in and try to find your way up a tower, I think to fight a dragon. It'd be different every time you played, and there were colored potions and scrolls whose effects would also be randomized each playthrough. I think every five levels the palette changed and the enemies got significantly more difficult. I think I remember there being a food/hunger stat and if you got too full you'd slow down significantly, and if you starved you'd die.

This is probably Fatal Labyrinth. That game's been rereleased recently, and I think is coming to PSN with trophies and stuff.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

yanthrax posted:

Was it King's Quest VII?. I know this game had Princess Rosella as the protagonist, and there are a few segments where it's night time (I think in the desert, as well as the Bogeyman encounter in the graveyard). It had voice acting and a Disney-esque animation style in-game.

Rollersnake posted:

This is probably Fatal Labyrinth. That game's been rereleased recently, and I think is coming to PSN with trophies and stuff.
Yes, and yes. Thanks! No clue how I didn't know VI wasn't the last KQ game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

1) NES game. It was a side-scroller shooter, I seem to remember the character being a futuristic space person, and you could upgrade your guns. Similar to Metroid, but mixed with Contra. I specifically remember moving left in one level, I think the floor was a bluish green color, there were stars in the background and the gun I had shot a star in a wavy pattern. It wasn't Mega Man.

Air Fortress? Power Blade? The Krion Conquest stars a witch but the game is literally a rip off of Mega Man right down to the health bars.

quote:

7) Another PlayStation game. It was like Dragon's Lair, in that it was cinematics where you'd press a button at the right time. I remember a rocket wheel chair in the hospital, three discs, and incredibly big save files even though there was a password system only three characters long.

Fox Hunt. I could never get past the third disc where you have to fight these rear end in a top hat secret agents that stalked you the entire game. One of the better FMV games I played, though. Rather humorous.

quote:

8) PlayStation 2 game. I saw my cousin playing this one, it was like a real time strategy game, where you deployed 4 characters onto a battle field. You could change their types from infantry to cavalry to a couple others. There'd be advantages and disadvantages to each. You had to capture the enemy's base, and if you encountered an enemy it'd go into a fighting game scene. There were also towers you could capture that had to be defended.

Wrath Unleashed

quote:

9) PC? game. It was along the lines of Age of Wonders, and Lords of Magic. There was a fire spell in it called Point Flare, which reminded me a lot of Chrono Trigger's Flare spell. That's all I remember.

Rage of Mages? Magic and Mayhem?

al-azad fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 30, 2010

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

al-azad posted:

Air Fortress? Power Blade? The Krion Conquest stars a witch but the game is literally a rip off of Mega Man right down to the health bars.
None of those. It was one of the first NES games I played and it looked like absolute rear end from what I remember, even for early NES standards.

al-azad posted:

Fox Hunt. I could never get past the third disc where you have to fight these rear end in a top hat secret agents that stalked you the entire game. One of the better FMV games I played, though. Rather humorous.
That's it! I never managed to get past the showgirls, but I love it anyway.

al-azad posted:

Wrath Unleashed
Close, but it was more medieval times, not futuristic. The battle field was also just basically an overhead view, and you could only move along paths.

al-azad posted:

Rage of Mages? Magic and Mayhem?
I think it was Magic and Mayhem, but I don't notice anything about a Point Flare spell anywhere about it.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm getting the list narrowed down at least

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

None of those. It was one of the first NES games I played and it looked like absolute rear end from what I remember, even for early NES standards.

The only other side-scrolling game I can think of where you have a wavy weapon was Batman: Return of the Joker, but that game had really good graphics for the time.

Edit: Totally Rad sort of fits your description except for the wave weapon, I think.

Do you remember anything else about this game? What kind of character you had, for example? A dude in a space suit? A robot?

Cidrick fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haiQt
Nov 4, 2009
I'm looking for shooter on the PC (and possibly other platforms). I saw a video of it, it had a guy shooting and flying around with a jetpack (not Global Agenda) and he could switch between first and third person.

His mission was to defend some kind of mining driller that came from the sky, when it landed it was drilling resources for him (to complete the objective). It looked like a giant missile. I think he "requested" it with some kind of laser targeting/homing beacon/whatever).

I think there was another NPC who was there to help him defend it, they were being attacked by creatures who were attracted by the earthshocks the drilling machine made. Oh, and the reload animation of a particular gun was kind of wonky like it wasn't done yet.

TLDR; Dude with a jetpack shooting things in first and third person defending a mining driller as his objective.