Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

rt4 posted:

Is it just me, or was NWN just totally soulless?

not just NWN, NWN2 as well

MOTB owned, though, as long as you could get around the lovely interface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

rt4 posted:

No, thatīs what I felt too. They (NWN 1 & 2) were supposed to be good, I tried to like then, but there was something missing, and I guess it was that: soul, personality.

It always seemed to me like I was just playing with a game engine, where the game itself was just to demonstrate the engine. I could not get a tiny bit interested for any character, location, anything.

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

Elias_Maluco posted:

No, thatīs what I felt too. They (NWN 1 & 2) were supposed to be good, I tried to like then, but there was something missing, and I guess it was that: soul, personality.

It always seemed to me like I was just playing with a game engine, where the game itself was just to demonstrate the engine. I could not get a tiny bit interested for any character, location, anything.

At least for NWN 1 I believe that's very much how the game was deisgned : IIRC Bioware initially wanted to just release the engine and toolkit, the very decision to make a game ship with them came quite late.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Does anyone have a starting guide for MoO2? I'm pretty good at most 4x games, but the lack of tutorial is killing me :(

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

rt4 posted:

NWN1 and 2 are both this and also poo poo.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Ansob. posted:

NWN1 and 2 are both this and also poo poo.

IIRC, the user made mods and quests are what made the game a blast to play. Even still, single player was half-way decent. I'll buy it either way :colbert:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Boondock Saint posted:

IIRC, the user made mods and quests are what made the game a blast to play. Even still, single player was half-way decent. I'll buy it either way :colbert:
It'll largely be dependent on if the expansions are bundled with them. NWN1's expansions are very much worth playing (if only the final one, Hordes of the Underdark), as is NWN2's MoTB if you like a good story and good writing.

The OC in both cases simply are not worth investing the time. Read the NWN2 Let's Plays if you want to skip over the whole thing, they are very well done.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Boondock Saint posted:

Does anyone have a starting guide for MoO2? I'm pretty good at most 4x games, but the lack of tutorial is killing me :(

So awesome more people are getting into this game, it is definitely one of the best. I was overwhelmed when I first started playing, but I just watched a few Let's Play videos off Youtube. This isn't the best way to learn by any means but it taught me a lot about swapping workers and scientists to build/research faster. After that a good understanding of your research tree's which you can have handy via the reference card GOG provides.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Am I the only one who doesn't really like Planescape: Torment that much? Sure, it's wonderful, weird, and has enough text to fill several novels, but I just can't get into it. Too much text and not enough combat (yes, I know PS:T is not about the combat), I guess. The main reason why I like to play RPGs is to watch my guys evolve from puny weaklings into unstoppable badasses, the story is just an added bonus. If I wanted to do some heavy reading, I'd go read a book.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Warlords Battlecry 3 is bundled with a fan patch too. It's also not as benign as MoO2's, which are mostly bugfixes with a few optional gameplay alterations turned off by default--nearly all the units and quite a few core gameplay rules are different, with no way to change them back. Was a real bummer when I fired up my old save game to find my character totally worthless because the fan patch nerfed the hell out of all his skills. :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't really like Planescape: Torment that much? Sure, it's wonderful, weird, and has enough text to fill several novels, but I just can't get into it. Too much text and not enough combat (yes, I know PS:T is not about the combat), I guess. The main reason why I like to play RPGs is to watch my guys evolve from puny weaklings into unstoppable badasses, the story is just an added bonus. If I wanted to do some heavy reading, I'd go read a book.

The reasons you dislike it are the same reasons most people like it, I suspect - certainly the same reasons I personally like it. If I want to build a party of unstoppable asskickers, there's no shortage of games that will let me do that (hell, including Torment - the final boss lasted two turns against my party when I decided to do it combat-style). Games with a unique and well-written story are much rarer, and personally, I like that more than I like watching the numbers on the stats screen gradually tick upwards.

And a lot of the stuff PS:T pulls either wouldn't work as well, or wouldn't work outright, in book form.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

Starhawk64 posted:

PST totally does what you want it to do tho, it's just a slightly different way of having that same character progression that you are looking for. If you aren't down for some heavy reading, it's not gonna work tho, this game is moreso about talking your way out of a battle and then getting mad exp for it.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
So hopped on the PS:T band wagon. Pretty impressed so far, but it really should be called Planescape: Watch The Nameless One Run Around Backwards. Unless I've gimped my copy of the game somehow. Nameless One really likes to run towards stuff backwards.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

.Ataraxia. posted:

So hopped on the PS:T band wagon. Pretty impressed so far, but it really should be called Planescape: Watch The Nameless One Run Around Backwards. Unless I've gimped my copy of the game somehow. Nameless One really likes to run towards stuff backwards.
Try "software mirroring" in the options.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Follow this guide, pretty sure either the widescreen patch, UI patch, or unofficial giant patch fixes this.

Failing that, go into the options and change "sprite mirroring" from software to hardware or vice versa.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Starhawk64 posted:

This is why PST is super cool. You can go grind levels, OR, you can just TALK your party members stronger. Without giving anything in specific away, I'm pretty sure everyone has side-quests/dialogue options that just poof them stronger or extra levels or whatever.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Thanks Blodskur and Toxic Frog. Issue fixed! Although I'm going to unfix it and pretend I'm playing Nameless One: Moonwalker, because that is awesome. Still not very far into it, but as soon as I dismantled the skeleton dudes in the mortuary solely using my massive intelligence/wisdom (dunno which one because it doesnt really let you know) I was hooked.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

I'm actually with you on this one--it's got a cool plot, and it's really nice to see a game where most of your experience is gotten through quests and actual decisions rather than just killing an army of mooks. Plus the setting is great and a great breath of fresh air from your typical cookie-cutter Tolkienesque fantasy world. The problem is with so little combat (and what little of what there is being so subpar) there isn't a whole lot of point to character progression. What good is gaining levels and cool new abilities/equipment when for the most part there's not that much of an opportunity to use it? It defeats a lot of the purpose and drags the game down IMO.

The irony is that for a P&P RPG campaign PST would be almost perfect, with the focus on being able to solving problems and quests in multiple unique ways rather than on being a dice-roll fest of killing stuff and taking their poo poo. It just doesn't translate as well to a single-player CRPG for me, I dunno.

I still think it's a decent enough game and will probably buy it again from GOG eventually, but I'm not a huge fan of it for the same reason.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Genpei Turtle posted:

I'm actually with you on this one--it's got a cool plot, and it's really nice to see a game where most of your experience is gotten through quests and actual decisions rather than just killing an army of mooks. Plus the setting is great and a great breath of fresh air from your typical cookie-cutter Tolkienesque fantasy world. The problem is with so little combat (and what little of what there is being so subpar) there isn't a whole lot of point to character progression. What good is gaining levels and cool new abilities/equipment when for the most part there's not that much of an opportunity to use it? It defeats a lot of the purpose and drags the game down IMO.

The irony is that for a P&P RPG campaign PST would be almost perfect, with the focus on being able to solving problems and quests in multiple unique ways rather than on being a dice-roll fest of killing stuff and taking their poo poo. It just doesn't translate as well to a single-player CRPG for me, I dunno.

I still think it's a decent enough game and will probably buy it again from GOG eventually, but I'm not a huge fan of it for the same reason.

Thatīs why I love Fallout 1 & 2. Their balance between great combat and great dialogue is yet to be rivalled by any RPG Ive ever played (including Fallout 3).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

The problem is with so little combat (and what little of what there is being so subpar) there isn't a whole lot of point to character progression. What good is gaining levels and cool new abilities/equipment when for the most part there's not that much of an opportunity to use it? It defeats a lot of the purpose and drags the game down IMO.

Only if you think the purpose of an RPG is by definition using your cool abilities and equipment to crush anything that gets in your way. Going by that, PS:T is either not an RPG, or a really lovely one.

Personally, however, I think that the essence of an RPG is, you know, the roleplaying aspect; crafting a unique character and making decisions that have far-reaching consequences and alter the outcome of the story. And when it comes to that, PS:T kicks the poo poo out of the competition.

IMO, if you're just in it to gear up and kill stuff, why even bother with RPGs in the first place when you could be playing Diablo? After all, a game that focuses on combat to the exclusion of all else is probably going to do it better than one that waters it down with dialogue and branching plotlines and nonviolent solutions to problems.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

.Ataraxia. posted:

Thanks Blodskur and Toxic Frog. Issue fixed! Although I'm going to unfix it and pretend I'm playing Nameless One: Moonwalker, because that is awesome. Still not very far into it, but as soon as I dismantled the skeleton dudes in the mortuary solely using my massive intelligence/wisdom (dunno which one because it doesnt really let you know) I was hooked.

Dude! DUUUDE! Same goddamn thing. Tho turns out the first time I encountered them I had killed one of the Robed guys before so they auto aggroed and murdered my rear end. I came back and they were inert and then I was like *interact* and bam, hello wis/int check passed what are all these awesome options I have? Love it!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ Same here. Solving problems with your silver tongue and HUGE, THROBBING BRAINMEATS is the best part of the game. Combat is for scrubs who can't talk their enemies to death. :smug:

Then I hit the first stretch of game where combat is mandatory, two maps where the only puzzle is "a wild monster appears!" and the only solution to the puzzle is > HIT ENEMY WITH WEAPON. :(

I got through that in the end, though, and it was so worth it.

leebenningfield
Dec 11, 2004

This is Leviathan? This is your fucking guy?
So I take it I shouldn't try to play the main character in Torment as a fighter/thief with high STR and DEX? I guess I will save that for Icewind Dale when it comes out then. I haven't even made it past the 2nd floor yet, so I don't mind starting over.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

leebenningfield posted:

So I take it I shouldn't try to play the main character in Torment as a fighter/thief with high STR and DEX? I guess I will save that for Icewind Dale when it comes out then. I haven't even made it past the 2nd floor yet, so I don't mind starting over.

You could do that, and there's nothing stopping you from doing it. But that'd be like playing chess while wearing boxing gloves; you can do it, but the game is really meant to be played other ways.

Besides, you're goddamn immortal, why are you worried about kicking rear end? Hell, you can crush a guy's entire worldview by snapping your own neck in front of him and then coming back to life to prove that there's nothing after death. You can talk so eloquently, you can convince a man he doesn't exist and cause him to vanish from reality. You can BELIEVE a man into existence.

And yet some people just wanna punch stuff. Sigh.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
You guys gotta stop telling people how to play the game. That's the best part about it, is that you can play it any way you want. There are no 'wrong' ways to play Torment and anybody that thinks so is wrong. :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Farquar posted:

You guys gotta stop telling people how to play the game. That's the best part about it, is that you can play it any way you want. There are no 'wrong' ways to play Torment and anybody that thinks so is wrong. :colbert:

you probably should try to use a character that emphasizes the game mechanics that don't suck, though

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Torment's best spell. Don't watch if you don't want to see what endgame spells look like.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKZZEPoVb4c

That red swirly thing is a dimensional portal.

Edit: Fair enough, Ansob.

Lord_Pigeonbane fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 29, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Torment's best spell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKZZEPoVb4c

That red swirly thing is a dimensional portal.

Don't watch this if you want the high-level spells to not be spoiled for you, they're really more like Final Fantasy summons in terms of the effort put into them.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Can we go back to talking about GoG itself instead of focusing on one game where some people who haven't played through it, even though they've had it for more than 10 years now, have some critical plot points "accidentally" spoiled by over-excited goons, please? *breathe*

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

XausF1 posted:

Can we go back to talking about GoG itself instead of focusing on one game where some people who haven't played through it, even though they've had it for more than 10 years now, have some critical plot points "accidentally" spoiled by over-excited goons, please? *breathe*

sure

once GOG releases BGII

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I had never played Baldur's Gate beyond the Nashkel mines before, and now I'm trying it again and getting really frustrated.

How do I stop my guys from getting stuck on random pieces of the world and deciding they no longer want to follow my orders?

When someone offers to join my full party, how do I kick someone else out but keep their gear?

After killing the boss of the Nashkel Mines I looted a pretty cool looking sword from him but it is no longer in my inventory and I don't know why. I suppose there's no way to know what the gently caress happened to it. Is it worth going back in there for?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Ansob. posted:

Don't watch this if you want the high-level spells to not be spoiled for you, they're really more like Final Fantasy summons in terms of the effort put into them.
Fun fact: The credits include a thank you to FF7/8 for inspiration.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Industrial posted:

I had never played Baldur's Gate beyond the Nashkel mines before, and now I'm trying it again and getting really frustrated.

How do I stop my guys from getting stuck on random pieces of the world and deciding they no longer want to follow my orders?

You can edit one of the ini files and increase the amount of search nodes to 400,000 which should help some. I think it's baldur.ini

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Industrial posted:

When someone offers to join my full party, how do I kick someone else out but keep their gear?

Give all their stuff to another character before taking the new character. There's no way to automatically transfer from the person you're kicking to the person joining.

Industrial posted:

After killing the boss of the Nashkel Mines I looted a pretty cool looking sword from him but it is no longer in my inventory and I don't know why. I suppose there's no way to know what the gently caress happened to it. Is it worth going back in there for?

That sword belongs to Xan, the NPC in the rooms with the boss. He can join you (he's an enchanter, so no evocation spells), and he's the only one who can use that sword.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Armor-Piercing posted:

Give all their stuff to another character before taking the new character. There's no way to automatically transfer from the person you're kicking to the person joining.

How am I supposed to know if some random NPC I am talking to is going to join me?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Industrial posted:

How am I supposed to know if some random NPC I am talking to is going to join me?

They get a little picture in the dialogue box, as I recall.

Or maybe that's BG2?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Industrial posted:

You talk to them. It's an RPG, man.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

If you actually want to know ahead of time, most FAQs include a list of NPCs that can join you. Pretty sure as far as BG1 is concerned, knowing their names ahead of time doesn't actually spoil anything, so you identify them that way ahead of time.

On the other hand, if that was a rhetorical question and you don't want to use a guide, you could always just turn them down, then transfer the equipment, then talk to them again and ask them to join (this is what I meant by what I originally said). Or if you really want to be safe just in case there are NPCs that only give you one chance (I can't remember if this is the case with any of them or not), you can let them join right away, kicking your equipment-laden character out of the party, then ask them back into the party right away, kicking the just-joined party member, transfer the equipment, and then make the switch a third and final time.

Bonus option: accept the new party member, kill the old one and take your poo poo back

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Bonus option: accept the new party member, sell the old one into slavery and take your poo poo back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

XausF1 posted:

After that stupid stunt I've had enough talking about GoG itself for a while. Let's keep talking about games here. :)