Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Chris Knight posted:

gently caress DUPLO, it's all about Fabuland and you know it :gay:

I still have my very first lego sets, the Fabuland pig and monkey. I dont care what anyone says, they are awesome. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Each one of these is funnier than the next. My next Bricklink order's going to include "White Duplo Food Steak", that's for drat sure.

Edit: Maybe Veggiepunk or Fruitpunk could be a fun direction to take this. The Duplo Carrots would make a ridiculous green buzzcut head for a mech.

Sexual Lorax fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 29, 2010

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

question re: those ball turrets from the star wars sets: do they take technic axles or only pins? LDD says an axle will fit whereas a pin won't, but I'm not sure that a) that's right given instructions that say use pins and b) it's not clear whether the axle engages anything so it can be held in.

I just tried it to make sure, and they only take pins; its weird that LDD only allows axles (unless there's been a design change?). Though it has an x-shaped hole, an axle will just spin and not be held at all while a pin will click in, and then if you spin it, it will spin roughly because of the weird hole. Why they designed it this way, :iiam:.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 29, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Chris Knight posted:

gently caress DUPLO, it's all about Fabuland and you know it :gay:
Fabuland has an non-ironic following on Eurobricks for some reason. I don't really get it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

InfinEight posted:

I just tried it to make sure, and they only take pins; its weird that LDD only allows axles (unless there's been a design change?). Though it has an x-shaped hole, an axle will just spin and not be held at all while a pin will click in, and then if you spin it, it will spin roughly because of the weird hole. Why they designed it this way, :iiam:.

Yeah, that's how it looks like in LDD. Totally dumb.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I keep on having problems of getting somewhere in a design and then just giving up.

I'm making some dumb mecha-APC right now, and I feel like I can't be bothered to finish it.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 29, 2010

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

These two ships are both huge and amazing. Especially the second one.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
OK, what part is that? I can't find it on Bricklink.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I keep on having problems of getting somewhere in a design and then just giving up.

I'm making some dumb mecha-APC right now, and I feel like I can't be bothered to finish it.

At least it's easy to make lots of doodles in LDD, they don't take up space or consume parts. So just hang onto it and do something else for awhile, you'll get inspired to finish it/convert it to something else in the future. If it helps, I think it looks pretty neat so far and has plenty of potential.

Torael_7 posted:

These two ships are both huge and amazing. Especially the second one.

That Vexillum is giving me a strange fizzy sensation :fh:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

einTier posted:

OK, what part is that? I can't find it on Bricklink.

Quotin' mahself ITT:

Sexual Lorax posted:

My next Bricklink order's going to include "White Duplo Food Steak", that's for drat sure.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I parsed those seats as hands and thought you were making a Transformer for a minute there.

So I pasted a picture in the last thread of a Final-Fantasy-esque airship I made out of one and a half Spanish Armada Flagships. Well, after buying some cool baseplates and structural crap from Bricklink I decided that any good FF airship needs a castlepunk base of operations.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

There's a ticket counter up front (shamelessly stolen from the Medieval Market Village) a waiting area with benches and luggage racks, an observation terminal, a tower with warning lights and a spotlight, a crane and a moving catwalk. For maximum action figure playsetness, all the buildings but the tower have hinged ceilings that let you reach inside.

Click here for the full 878x670 image.

A shot with the ceilings hidden.

Click here for the full 873x657 image.

I had some of these cool octagonal pieces from the Aquanauts line lying around and decided to make a small network of steam tunnels with them. All technology is powered by steam and crystals.

In proper RPG town fashion, there's also a treasure chest you can only get by exiting a hidden door and walking along the very edge of the map.

Here's what the base looks like when it's occupied. The catwalk over the bow opens and closes so minifigs can cross without getting on board the ship. Ignore the chains poking through the geometry, I'm too lazy to do limp chains in MLCAD.

I'll probably have some embellishments to make when I convert the CAD file into .irl format, and I don't know what the balance of the crane is like, but this isn't bad for four weeknights' work. The only things I might still do are add a playset hinge to the tower and make a bucket crane for the repair minifigs to reach the engines with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Series 2 figures have hit the shelves here in Australia.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Series 2 figures have hit the shelves here in Australia.

Holy poo poo holy poo poo, where, for gods sake man? WHERE?

I actually spoke at great length to a very nice salesperson at Myer Indooroopilly last week, and he had no idea when/if they would be coming. He also mentioned that the regular Lego rep hadn't shown up for a few months which he thought was unusual. I'll have to swing by Myer or a Toyworld tomorrow and see what's what.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This was in Melbourne's CBD Target. The minifig shelves have been ransacked!

It was pretty neat though, kids and adults and guys in full business suits frantically going through the packets, feeling them up or yelling about a find.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 30, 2010

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've seen them in plenty of Toyworlds in Adelaide - Rundle Mall, Blackwood, Harbour Town but they do move quickly. Series 2 was at Harbour Town.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
My friend went and bought me three of the figures :3:

Two were the Pop Star, so I gave one of them to her, the other was the Karate Champ. I got the bar codes printed and plan to hit the Walmart after work. I want a Spartan dangit.

sam.freak
Nov 21, 2004

That's it baby just a bit to the left. Perfect. Now show us your tits.
Thanks to my lovely girlfriend I have finally all 16 series 1 in my pssession. Now I only need the singer from series two and I have all of those as well. Might as well catch em all.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Sorting bricks to see what I need to actually build that thing. I forgot how ugly the Dark Stone color really is.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Speaking of sorting, I decided today to tackle the rest of our collection. Most of it's finished and stored in these things:

Heh.

After sorting the hinge bucket, which I had to make stacks for until we get another tackle box, I decided to finish the last of our collection...

When God gives you Bionicle, you seriously consider throwing it all out.

At least the Technic assault droid will make for some interesting pieces. I don't know if it's complete, came with the Bionicle which we only bought because it was mixed in with a ton of normal stuff.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

EvilJoven posted:

After sorting the hinge bucket, which I had to make stacks for until we get another tackle box, I decided to finish the last of our collection...

When God gives you Bionicle, you seriously consider throwing it all out.

At least the Technic assault droid will make for some interesting pieces. I don't know if it's complete, came with the Bionicle which we only bought because it was mixed in with a ton of normal stuff.

My friend's kid loves that Bionicle stuff and they are always going on about how he builds the 'wildest things' with them. Is it just me or does the very nature of Bionicle hold back a great deal of creativity? I've seen Lego guns that fire bricks, Lego tanks and cars that actually work, loads of great Lego sculpture; but Bionicle is just Bionicle, goofy robot things that are really no different than action figures. Am I just becoming a grumpy old man, or do I actually have a valid point? What say you thread?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You may have a point about the more recent sets, but the older ones were perfectly fine and ALL of the Rahi Beasts had engineering gimmicks to them that gave them special attacks and stuff, like the extending necks for the Bahrag Twins, hell the Manas, two radio-controlled crabs, had tread systems and stuff in'em to drive around with. They weren't super complex, but they weren't meant to be. It's like hating Duplo for being for toddlers, Bionicle was made to push into the action figure market while still retaining Lego roots. This is a good reason why Galidor was a catastrophic failure, because it wasn't really Lego at all.

Basically, if you're hating on older Bionicle, it's not really justified because it's exactly what they set out for it to be: buildable action figures.

The newer ones almost completely eliminate the "build" part of it. If you're hating on newer Bionicle, it's justified because it's a total mess.

That being said, if you're planning on throwing out those Bionicle things, I'll take'em. Lots of pieces of specific colors can only be found in Bionicle sets.

Also, this set is totally awesome. I mean seriously, it's a giant transforming ridable robot scorpion with tank treads for legs that transforms into a tank/snowmobile thing. It's awesome. I bought two of them on sale on Lego S@H for parts. Not ALL the new sets are awful, I guess.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 30, 2010

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

BrainWeasel posted:

I parsed those seats as hands and thought you were making a Transformer for a minute there.

So I pasted a picture in the last thread of a Final-Fantasy-esque airship I made out of one and a half Spanish Armada Flagships. Well, after buying some cool baseplates and structural crap from Bricklink I decided that any good FF airship needs a castlepunk base of operations.

There's a ticket counter up front (shamelessly stolen from the Medieval Market Village) a waiting area with benches and luggage racks, an observation terminal, a tower with warning lights and a spotlight, a crane and a moving catwalk. For maximum action figure playsetness, all the buildings but the tower have hinged ceilings that let you reach inside.

Click here for the full 878x670 image.

A shot with the ceilings hidden.

Click here for the full 873x657 image.

I had some of these cool octagonal pieces from the Aquanauts line lying around and decided to make a small network of steam tunnels with them. All technology is powered by steam and crystals.

In proper RPG town fashion, there's also a treasure chest you can only get by exiting a hidden door and walking along the very edge of the map.

Here's what the base looks like when it's occupied. The catwalk over the bow opens and closes so minifigs can cross without getting on board the ship. Ignore the chains poking through the geometry, I'm too lazy to do limp chains in MLCAD.

I'll probably have some embellishments to make when I convert the CAD file into .irl format, and I don't know what the balance of the crane is like, but this isn't bad for four weeknights' work. The only things I might still do are add a playset hinge to the tower and make a bucket crane for the repair minifigs to reach the engines with.

I like this, it's a good use for those plates and it fits together well.

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, this set is totally awesome. I mean seriously, it's a giant transforming ridable robot scorpion with tank treads for legs that transforms into a tank/snowmobile thing. It's awesome. I bought two of them on sale on Lego S@H for parts. Not ALL the new sets are awful, I guess.

I got the same deal, and it is a really great set even if its only for the pieces you get. When I get around to it I wanna make some tanks with those treads.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 30, 2010

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
At least 3/4 of that thing is 'normal' Technic pieces that aren't in colours so horrid you wouldn't be put off using them for something else.

I'm almost through disassembling the Bionicle. After this I'm going to challenge myself to build something using some of the pieces that I haven't pretty much automatically tossed in to the Bionicle reject bucket.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Yeah it seems the bigger sets - vehicles and what have you - have a reasonable amount of technic elements in them. The same seems to be true of the new "hero factory" line, which pretty much looks like Bionicle II to me. Though I think just buying a technic set would be more worthwhile, unless you could get them cheap on a clearance.

That said, I've heard Bionicle was a really good seller for Lego, so I can hardly complain if it kept the company solvent and producing the stuff I do like.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Is it just me or do the Bionicle ball sockets break really easily? I have a hard time assembling or disassembling them without a tab popping off, so I almost never use the pieces I have.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BrainWeasel posted:

Is it just me or do the Bionicle ball sockets break really easily? I have a hard time assembling or disassembling them without a tab popping off, so I almost never use the pieces I have.

How exactly are you trying to pop them out? Propping them against one of the sides while lifting works for me, never had a piece break.

Hobnob posted:

That said, I've heard Bionicle was a really good seller for Lego, so I can hardly complain if it kept the company solvent and producing the stuff I do like.
Bionicle saved Lego. They were in extremely bad shape at the turn of the millenium, I believe there was the potential of being bought out by Tyco or Mega Bloks. Bionicle EXPLODED onto the scene, back in those days the mask packs(two to three masks of random colors for like 2.99 or 3.99) would sell instantly upon hitting shelves. The canisters would constantly be sold out, about the only non-sellers were the brown and black Toa, and the Bahrag Twins. Bionicle was hugely influential for Lego, most kids these days know of it.

I will praise it if for nothing else that it gave us the ball and sockets in great quantities. Those make many joints and such for Lego mechs much easier to build, and much stronger than most other types of joints.

edit: not everything made using Bionicle is awful. If you get creative, they can be useful. They are Lego pieces, after all. Though admittedly the head on this one is half-assed.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 30, 2010

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

BrainWeasel posted:

While they're probably the first pieces to break, I wouldn't say they break too easily... I dug on that stuff for years and only ended up breaking a few. My biggest problem is the little black ball pieces with the axle hole, none of them hold an axle well enough to carry much weight without falling apart. Almost all I build is technic transformers and those pieces have been relegated to wrist and neck joints only because they simply will not hold well enough to be shoulders or knees, etc.

By the by, anyone know anyone interested in buying a bunch of Bionicle masks? I have no use whatsoever for them. Could make an inventory if there's any interest.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Some of the older Bionicle masks can be useful for MOCs. PM me with pics of what you have, I might be interested in a few.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I loved technic as a kid, so when Throwbots and Bionicle came out every penny I earned went toward it. For a kid, it's the best thing. Lego, Technic, and action figures.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

:siren: DOUBLE VIP POINTS AT LEGO DOT COM :siren:

Bought Tower Bridge and Imperial Flagship :coolfish:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Was at the Borders in Tacoma today, and I wandered to the toy section. They had two pristine boxes of S2 minifigs; didn't look like they had been touched.
On the back, though, they had the Borders barcode sticker. They were priced at $3.99 apiece. I just laughed and walked off to pay for my Octopus Pie book.

Anyone else going to BrickCon this weekend? It'll be kinda a long day for me, but my goal is to get in on the after-hours trip to the Lego Store on Friday.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: not everything made using Bionicle is awful. If you get creative, they can be useful. They are Lego pieces, after all. Though admittedly the head on this one is half-assed.

Colour me impressed. I guess I'm just jaded because everything this kid comes up with is just the same random, bashed-together stuff every kid does; except that his parents gush about it like he's going to be some kind of genius engineer because of it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Pyroclastic posted:

Anyone else going to BrickCon this weekend? It'll be kinda a long day for me, but my goal is to get in on the after-hours trip to the Lego Store on Friday.
I wish. I planned to, but I'm in California for a relative's wedding until late Sunday. I was hoping to see about potential new Brickarms stuff, since my cowboys need lever guns.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Indolent Bastard posted:

Colour me impressed. I guess I'm just jaded because everything this kid comes up with is just the same random, bashed-together stuff every kid does; except that his parents gush about it like he's going to be some kind of genius engineer because of it.

That's because a LOT of more recent Bionicle figures look a hell of a lot more involved than they actually are. Tons of details that mean absolutely nothing, horrible greebliness. When you pile a bunch of poo poo like that together, it LOOKS like it could be kinda complicated, but it totally isn't.

I will freely admit ball sockets take out some of the engineering aspects of the hobby. But sometimes you want to build something that can just stand up without jumping through hoops. The rubberized ball sockets are heavenly for this, I built an Evangelion Unit 02 figure about seven years ago that's over a foot tall and has only two rubberized ball sockets for hip joints, that support the entire thing's weight(about 5 pounds).

Man, seeing that picture makes me want to build an updated version, with more of an even Technic-Bionicle-Brick ratio.

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy

SynthOrange posted:

This was in Melbourne's CBD Target. The minifig shelves have been ransacked!

It was pretty neat though, kids and adults and guys in full business suits frantically going through the packets, feeling them up or yelling about a find.

Is there anywhere left in melbourne to get the minifigs? :negative:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well, there are still some packs on the shelf, and there's a tray next to the checkout. They're rapidly dwindling though. I went through today trying to get the last few I'm missing, but no luck.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Indolent Bastard posted:

Are you seriously complaining that a child does not play with his toys in a sufficiently impressive fashion?

Look, I'm not going to poo poo on this hobby, because I get the appeal and I love coming here to see people's massive creations, but I don't think you should forget that these are children's toys first and grownup hobby materials a far-distant second. Didn't most of you fall in love with this stuff when you were children? How would you have liked it if some manchild got all huffy about how you were just playing like a kid?

Look what model trains turned into. Do you want that to happen to Lego?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He's Indolent Bastard, it's what he does.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

That's because a LOT of more recent Bionicle figures look a hell of a lot more involved than they actually are. Tons of details that mean absolutely nothing, horrible greebliness. When you pile a bunch of poo poo like that together, it LOOKS like it could be kinda complicated, but it totally isn't.

I will freely admit ball sockets take out some of the engineering aspects of the hobby. But sometimes you want to build something that can just stand up without jumping through hoops. The rubberized ball sockets are heavenly for this, I built an Evangelion Unit 02 figure about seven years ago that's over a foot tall and has only two rubberized ball sockets for hip joints, that support the entire thing's weight(about 5 pounds).

Man, seeing that picture makes me want to build an updated version, with more of an even Technic-Bionicle-Brick ratio.

Man, that brings me back. A friend and I started on a massive Eva about ten years ago. Basically, we decided to build a Technic skeleton and then apply the armor plating to it. We never really decided which one we were building, although Unit 02 would have been the easiest color. The skeleton was about 3 feet tall and self-supporting. This was just when Throwbots had come out, so we had access to the first ball joints, which I believe we used for the shoulders. The whole thing was motorized, but the old Lego motors really sucked. With PF I might actually be able to get it to work. The best part is that the wires for all the motors just came out the back in proper Eva style. We never really finished it, though.

I should really try to build that skeleton again. Back then we actually managed to get it to take like 2 steps before falling over, which I thought was pretty impressive. I doubt I could ever actually get it to walk, but juist being able to fully pose it with motors would be pretty freaking cool.

We were inspired by this thing originally:

the "Perfect Grade" model, which is constructed the same way. You build the skeleton, then actually wrap it in black rubber, and then apply all the armor. It also served us as a really good model for scaling all the different pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm trying to figure out the best way to motorize the tram from 8404 public transport with powerfunctions poo poo. The IR receiver shouldn't be too hard to fit in somewhere, and I'm sure I could probably use a geared m-motor to drive the wheels if I don't feel like using the normal train motor, but jesus the battery packs are HUGE.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 1, 2010