Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Ridonkulous posted:

either very helpful or an elaborate burn.

either way thanks.

You're welcome. When I want to be snarky (which granted is most of the time) I'm a lot more obvious about it. In related news, I just realized the forums search actually works now. Since when?? It seems to be a bit buggy in Safari though (not deselecting subforums when it should).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Anyone having trouble creating smart playlists that reference other playlists in the new iTunes. Running on Windows 7, and smart playlists with the rule "Playlist is" is resulting in an empty list.

Not directly related, but I'm also irritated that I can't just play a playlist folder with a Touch the way that I could with my iPod Classic. It would largely eliminate the need for the first question.

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885

Choadmaster posted:

iPods/iPhones/iPads do not need to be authorized, only computers do. It is possible his computer isn't authorized because he's run out of his 5, but technologically retarded retard or not I'd expect he'd have noticed the obvious error message he'd get in that case.

So assuming he did authorize his computer, he should double-check to confirm he authorized it with the correct account. Perhaps (for example) a friend logged into their own account on his iPod to download some app, and ever since then he's been downloading those free apps under that account and not his own. however, I don't understand why it would be removing apps even in that case. I have an app on my phone that isn't authorized for my computer (downloaded by a friend like the above example) and while iTunes refuses to back it up, it doesn't just wipe it every time I sync. I'd obviously lose it if I wiped the phone and reinstalled from backup though.

He should go to "Apps" tab in his his iPod's sync settings and see what the gently caress is up. Perhaps it is set to sync checked apps and they're all unchecked for some reason. Whether or not that's the case, unchecking "Sync Apps" will probably solve the problem.

Yeah it's only authorized on 2 machines, including this one so that isn't the issue. Despite going to store - authorize, it says it's already authorized on this computer.

I did what you recommended and unchecked sync apps - so much for trying to use something that would be more useful...thanks for the advice, seems to be fine now and at least I'm not constantly losing my apps.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Amish Retard posted:

Yeah it's only authorized on 2 machines, including this one so that isn't the issue. Despite going to store - authorize, it says it's already authorized on this computer.

I did what you recommended and unchecked sync apps - so much for trying to use something that would be more useful...thanks for the advice, seems to be fine now and at least I'm not constantly losing my apps.

Did all the apps that have been disappearing show up in the list of syncable apps? I'm really curious as to what was going on to make y our apps just disappear. If you go to Preferences -> Advanced and hit the "Reset Warnings" button, do you get any warnings when you try to sync?

vladimir
May 29, 2003

We're caught in a flat spin!
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I had a question about correcting all my songs/albums/etc.

Is there a de facto "gold standard" program to use to have it automatically go through to recognize songs and label their artist/year/album/etc. correctly? I recently picked up and used one called 'Tune Up'. My problem with this (and other similar) programs is that it identifies a bunch of stuff wrong. For example, a bunch of my Beatles songs are identified as "Best of the 60's #17!" or something like that. I realyl don't care how long the program takes to run, if it listens to each song and identifies (like Shazam or something), but I just want something that will place accuracy above all else. Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Has anyone tried to use a Pogoplug with iTunes? I've got one and moved all my media to an external drive on the Pogoplug thinking I would be able to sync it on multiple computers, even at work. However, with the number of files whenever I get iTunes to start importing the library from the pogoplug it just shits the bed and locks up. Anyone tried this or figured out a solution. I don't understand why it has to be so loving hard.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I downloaded an album on my iPad, and this keeps happening on my computer:

Click here for the full 1401x282 image.

It pops up an error everytime I start iTunes and at random intervals while it's open. How can I stop it? I don't even care about the drat file, I'd be happy just removing it, but right-click > delete doesn't work. I tried deleting it from purchases as well, no luck there either.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Krakkles posted:

I downloaded an album on my iPad, and this keeps happening on my computer:

Check your downloads folder inside the iTunes library folder, move aside or delete any files that look broken.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Is there any way to have Sound Check set an average volume per album instead of per song? Because the one thing that's made me swore off using it is that if I'm playing an album with songs that go right into each other (like oh, I dunno, Abbey Road), there's an awkward volume shift between tracks. Seems like the kind of thing that you wouldn't be able to do, but I was just wondering.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Not by itself, but you can use iVolume to get album normalization.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Anyone else lately having trouble with purchased music? The last two times I've started my computer and launched iTunes, it pops up a "iTunes has stopped working" error message when I start playing a purchased song. Last time, signing out and back into my iTunes account seemed to resolve, trying that again now.

Edit: This time it started playing the song without having to sign out and back in.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

mistermojo posted:

Umm so does anyone else see this ping thing in their library? I haven't turned Ping on and I'm pretty sure this started with todays (10.0.1) update and I don't see any way to turn it off

also there was an arrow you could click on to go to just that album in the library instead of the ping thing

code:
defaults write com.apple.iTunes hide-ping-dropdown 1
defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-link-arrows -bool TRUE
If you've previously set whatever default you need to get the arrows to jump in your library rather than the store that'll be in effect.
Unfortunately it's still switching from Album List to Song List view every time I click an arrow. If anyone can suggest a fix for that it'd be awesome.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

vladimir posted:

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I had a question about correcting all my songs/albums/etc.

Is there a de facto "gold standard" program to use to have it automatically go through to recognize songs and label their artist/year/album/etc. correctly? I recently picked up and used one called 'Tune Up'. My problem with this (and other similar) programs is that it identifies a bunch of stuff wrong. For example, a bunch of my Beatles songs are identified as "Best of the 60's #17!" or something like that. I realyl don't care how long the program takes to run, if it listens to each song and identifies (like Shazam or something), but I just want something that will place accuracy above all else. Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.

You could try Jaikoz, I hear the new version has the option to prevent/enable labeling according to compilation albums.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

vladimir posted:

Is there a de facto "gold standard" program to use to have it automatically go through to recognize songs and label their artist/year/album/etc. correctly?
I use MusicBrainz Picard. It does both tag-based detection and acoustic fingerprinting. It also allows you to inspect the detection results and correct any errors before it saves anything to disk.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hirvox posted:

I use MusicBrainz Picard. It does both tag-based detection and acoustic fingerprinting. It also allows you to inspect the detection results and correct any errors before it saves anything to disk.

This program is awesome. When it detects a file, it brings up a Norton commander like interface that brings up the album with slots for the other songs, and you can drag and drop files that you know are the same album, making it easy to clean up a directory that's organized in an album/artist tree.

It's better done a little bit at a time. I did about 5000 tracks with Picard. I did a couple hundred a day for a month and it went really well. There's a weird issue where it doesn't tag them by default in a Window's friendly format, but I'm don't specifically remember what it was.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I'm having a problem with album artwork. Specifically, Itunes sometimes decides to suddenly change the artwork to this:

Things i've tried to fix it:
- Removing it through Itunes' rightclick menu does nothing.
- removing it by editting the tags and telling itunes to keep the artwork blank doesn't work either
- tried manually removing the artwork from each song. Itunes will just reinsert the broken artwork as soon as i click on OK.
- Tried adding new artwork from my harddrive. This works sometimes, but some albums refuse to change.
- removed all artwork itunes kept in the Documents & Settings/Itunes map. this cleared all artwork, except the ones which are like in the picture.

So, i'm really out of things to try. :negative:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Charlie Mopps posted:

I'm having a problem with album artwork. Specifically, Itunes sometimes decides to suddenly change the artwork to this:

Things i've tried to fix it:
- Removing it through Itunes' rightclick menu does nothing.
- removing it by editting the tags and telling itunes to keep the artwork blank doesn't work either
- tried manually removing the artwork from each song. Itunes will just reinsert the broken artwork as soon as i click on OK.
- Tried adding new artwork from my harddrive. This works sometimes, but some albums refuse to change.
- removed all artwork itunes kept in the Documents & Settings/Itunes map. this cleared all artwork, except the ones which are like in the picture.

So, i'm really out of things to try. :negative:

Re-import the songs(?), and then try to work on the artwork? It seems like for me, for video, that there is a video or two that just won't accept artwork, and my next step was going to be to try to re-encode the video.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

IUG posted:

Re-import the songs(?), and then try to work on the artwork? It seems like for me, for video, that there is a video or two that just won't accept artwork, and my next step was going to be to try to re-encode the video.
Ah yes, tried that as well, forgot to mention. The artwork stays the same even after re-importing. The weird thing is that itunes did show the artwork correct, but suddenly decided to corrupt it. I guess ripping the albums again is the only solution.

9-Volt Assault fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 11, 2010

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

Ah yes, tried that as well, forgot to mention. The artwork stays the same even after re-importing. The weird thing is that itunes did show the artwork correct, but suddenly decided to corrupt it. I guess ripping the albums again is the only solution.

That looks like an image file that it's having trouble decoding, maybe find a new copy of the artwork from the Internet somewhere, and use that instead? Also, have it rewrite the ID3 tags to make sure they're not causing problems.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

I guess it was an ID3 problem yes. Removing the Id3-tags completely with Foobar seems to solve it so far, as Itunes was apparently unable to remove the tags completely.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Okay, so, just finally got the new iTunes yesterday. Got two new albums yesterday. Try to add them, doesn't work.

I reset my default music folder to where it is, and I can add one of the albums. Cool. I still can't add the second album.

I restart iTunes, attempt to add it like 4 times, quit iTunes, open the music without iTunes open, it adds it to my library. Kinda. It shows up in recently added but not in my regular library.

iTunes 10 is weird, man. I don't know what the hell.

e: also ping seems pointless and annoying, maybe I'm wrong there

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
This is a really basic embarrassing question but even after a lot of searching I can't find the answer and I'm starting to get stupidly frustrated.

How the heck do I simply add my own mp3s to my first generation ipod shuffle using itunes?

I plugged the ipod into my usb port, installed itunes 10, and then tried to drag and drop some mp3s into the already existing library contents. But I keep getting the same message "The Ipod is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this ipod and sync with this iTunes library."

No, I don't want to erase what's already on there and I don't want to sync with anything, I just want to add some mp3s to my mp3 player.

The only answer I've found so far was this hilariously long process.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong because it can't seriously be this hard to do something so simple.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

This is a really basic embarrassing question but even after a lot of searching I can't find the answer and I'm starting to get stupidly frustrated.

On most iPods, there's a 'manually manage this iPod' checkbox, try checking that, then you might be able to add songs from different libraries. I think your Shuffle might not have that ability, in which case you need to get a program that extracts songs from iPods, extract the music into your iTunes, then erase and sync it all at once. (If all your songs are purchased from the iTunes Store, there's a menu option called 'Transfer Purchases from ...' that will do this automagically)

iTunes has a different philosophy from what you might be expecting for mp3 players. (and don't worry, lots of people run into this conflict) Basically, iTunes is designed for you to have all your music in iTunes, and then sync a subset of it to your iPod. It doesn't deal well with using an iPod Shuffle as your lone repository for songs.

Fake edit: Apple's shuffle tech support says:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2018 posted:

Can I take a friend's iPod shuffle and browse or play its content on my machine (like I can with other iPods)?

No, there is no manual mode that allows you to view or play the content from a friend's iPod shuffle on your computer. This also means that you cannot load music from multiple computers or iTunes libraries onto iPod shuffle like you can with other iPods.

Basically, you can do what you want with a more advanced iPod, but not with a Shuffle. Check for a manually manage checkbox and hope that it lets you do what you want, but if it's not there, you'll have to pull the songs into iTunes then erase and re-sync the Shuffle.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That article is slightly misleading. True, you can't take the music off, as that would be the onslaught of the RIAA on Apple's rear end for filesharing music with their portable hard drives or something. However, if you manually manage the shuffle, you should be able to add or delete songs from the iPod Shuffle, just not move the files from the shuffle onto the hard drive, just delete to get more space.

EDIT: Wait, just read the above helpdesk thing, when did that change? I could have sworn I did something like this for older Shuffles.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I got Tuneup a while ago and it has organized most of my library pretty well - album art and cleaned up tags.

However, I loaded the music on my ipod before I got Tuneup. Is there any easy way to get the new album art and tag data on my ipod without deleting and re-importing the music?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

I got Tuneup a while ago and it has organized most of my library pretty well - album art and cleaned up tags.

However, I loaded the music on my ipod before I got Tuneup. Is there any easy way to get the new album art and tag data on my ipod without deleting and re-importing the music?

No. Even assuming you've got one of those bazillion-gig iPods and a bazillion gigs of music, just wipe it and set it to sync before you go to bed, it'll be done by morning...

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

clockworkjoe posted:

Whenever I change album art or track info in iTunes, it'll automatically resync the songs that changed onto my iPhone. As long as you're using automatic sync, it should just work when you sync again.

subl1me
Feb 2, 2008

Tried searching the thread and forums to see if this has been asked already, but couldn't find anything:

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I know iTunes stores ratings for tracks in it's own database. Is there a program/script that can be used to export these ratings and put them into the id3 tag on the mp3 itself?

subl1me fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 13, 2010

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I've been having a problem with iTunes and the way it syncs apps. I have an iPhone 3GS and an iPad. Back when I just had the iPhone, iTunes just installed all of my apps and whatever I didn't want I deleted from the phone itself and all was well.

Now that I've got my iPad, I want to be picky about it. There are certain universal apps that I only want on one device. So I go into Apps and check off the apps that I want per device. The problem comes when I upgrade iOS versions. When I update, it goes through everything and then finally syncs the device, but it doesn't save my selected apps. This results in me having to manually check all the apps again, and then recreate all my folders so I don't have 20 pages of poo poo.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thank god it seems to store the app data so when they do sync I don't lose anything, but it's annoying as hell. I've been running the iPad OS beta so I've been updating more than usual.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

subl1me posted:

Tried searching the thread and forums to see if this has been asked already, but couldn't find anything:

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I know iTunes stores ratings for tracks in it's own database. Is there a program/script that can be used to export these ratings and put them into the id3 tag on the mp3 itself?

The ratings aren't a valid field on the ID3 tag, so there's nowhere for them to go. However, if you're just moving the mp3 files without the library that stores the ratings, you can use an unused field to move them. I've done this once in the past where I sorted everything by rating, selected all my 5 star songs, and changed the Comment field to say "5". If you're already using the comments for songs, you could use something like the BPM, or some other ID3 field that you don't normally use.

subl1me
Feb 2, 2008

IUG posted:

The ratings aren't a valid field on the ID3 tag, so there's nowhere for them to go. However, if you're just moving the mp3 files without the library that stores the ratings, you can use an unused field to move them. I've done this once in the past where I sorted everything by rating, selected all my 5 star songs, and changed the Comment field to say "5". If you're already using the comments for songs, you could use something like the BPM, or some other ID3 field that you don't normally use.

Thanks for this, I never thought about trying to sort it this way. I'll give it a try.

stupid ugly retard
Dec 30, 2009

by T. Finn
Is there anyway to tell itunes that when it's on shuffle it should never play Prologue by the Electric Light Orchestra without playing Twilight by the Electric Light Orchestra right after?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I really wish, but no. I would do this for a lot of Pink Floyd's The Wall album. However, if you don't mind your tags/playlists/etc, you can re-rip the songs from the CD, but select the two songs and join them. I did this for one song that was something like "Quality Control Intro" and "Quality Control", and made them into one track from the two on the CD. Built into the program at least.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

stupid ugly retard posted:

Is there anyway to tell itunes that when it's on shuffle it should never play Prologue by the Electric Light Orchestra without playing Twilight by the Electric Light Orchestra right after?

You can say 'never play this track while shuffling', and just never hear Prologue. There might be a hidden feature having to do with gapless album stuff, but I don't think there's a way to do that properly (besides the merged track stuff that IUG talked about).

You can also shuffle by album, which will get those songs together at the cost of getting everything else in the same album together. There's also 'shuffle by grouping' which, if you put those songs in a grouping, maybe it'll always play them together...

chimz fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 22, 2010

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Is there a way to import a playlist from an iPhone or iPod Video to iTunes (for Windows)?

I have all the songs in iTunes, but iTunes lost the actual playlist files. Both devices have the playlists, but if I sync with iTunes, they'll be lost.

I can't seem to find a free third-party program that can handle it. I've tried half a dozen and they either don't work or want a ton of money to transfer songs, which isn't even what I'm trying to do.

I'm thinking there has to be a way to get it from the iPod, since it is in Hard Disk mode and I can get to all the songs, right?

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
I was hoping to get some help with two specific problems -

1: I store all my doanloaded music in my "Music" folder. Whenever I've downloaded a new album, I'll open itunes, File -> Add folder to library. 95% of the time this works fine, but there are a few albums which just refuse to get copied over into my itunes library. Any ideas why?

2: There are a few tracks (this mostly seems to happen with songs from the same album) that always skip before they've finished, onto the next track. The download doesn't seem to be corrupted. Any ideas?

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
Try running the files through http://www.gromkov.com/faq/repair/mp3_validator.html, they should add fine afterwards.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Quick question -

I spent aaaaaaaages sorting out my itunes library earlier in the year. I keep all my music on an external drive. I manage it all myself

I now have a new laptop with a decent sized hard drive, so I am going to move all my music on to that. I will not be copying over the whole iTunes library, though - just the files

I want to know if all the artwork I added in iTunes will follow the tracks from the external drive, to the new laptop. If not, is there a way to force iTunes to embed artwork in every MP3? I use MP3 Tag It, too, so some stuff will have the artwork embedded already

Reasons for not wanting to move whole library:

Funny location can't be replicated easily on new laptop,
Want a fresh start,
Using BPM workaround to carry over ratings in ID3 tags

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Amphigory posted:

I spent aaaaaaaages sorting out my itunes library earlier in the year. I keep all my music on an external drive. I manage it all myself

I would test this before doing the whole library, but:

If you manually add album art to files, it goes inside the MP3 rather than into the album art database, so it should transfer over. There are scripts that will force album art to live inside the id3 tags and scripts to tell you which files have art inside them and which don't.

I would make sure all id3 information is committed to the files by doing a 'Convert id3 Tags' to the latest version so that you're sure iTunes got all its info stored in the files. In the past I've seen information changed inside iTunes not getting to the id3 tags if they're in an old and busted format, though they may have fixed that in recent versions.

I'd do the work to migrate the whole library including the iTunes database, then you will have no issues at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a way to force a scan of my library?