Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MadScientistWorking posted:

Flour bombs are piddly? Dust bombs have actually killed people. Also, you would have to be a loving idiot to try and improvise a shotgun.

A failed improvised shotgun is just a successful improvised pipe bomb. Its Armageddon man, lets at least try to look on the bright side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

Flour bombs are piddly? Dust bombs have actually killed people. Also, you would have to be a loving idiot to try and improvise a shotgun.

You should probably have some idea of what you're talking about.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Scarecrow411 posted:

You should probably have some idea of what you're talking about.
The same goes to you buddy. The same applies to you..
http://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib073105.html

Solice Kirsk posted:

A failed improvised shotgun is just a successful improvised pipe bomb. Its Armageddon man, lets at least try to look on the bright side.
No it isn't even close.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

The same goes to you buddy. The same applies to you..
http://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib073105.html

No it isn't even close.

If Vlads flour bombs behaved anything like that, they would have been worth while. As stated, Vlads flour bombs were piddly and he destroyed perfectly good shotgun shells to make them.

How dangerous is a home made shotgun? Would you say it's more dangerous, less dangerous or as dangerous as an improvised flame thrower?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEpwefP6sE4

No, this isn't even close.

:fuckoff:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Scarecrow411 posted:

If Vlads flour bombs behaved anything like that, they would have been worth while. As stated, Vlads flour bombs were piddly and he destroyed perfectly good shotgun shells to make them.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Discovery actually censored that show. One minor change to the flour bombs and it would have been more dangerous than the flamethrower.

quote:

How dangerous is a home made shotgun? Would you say it's more dangerous, less dangerous or as dangerous as an improvised flame thrower?
Actually they both have the penchant to blow up in your face. I'd rather combine both into a flour bomb cannon. Either that or modify the flower bombs with the ability to blind.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 7, 2010

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No it isn't even close.

Also, you would have to be a loving idiot to try and improvise a shotgun.

A tube, a nail, and a hammer can improvise a shotgun. As long as the tube isn't aimed towards your face most likely the worst you will come away with is mild/moderate burns and a bigger set of balls.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

A tube, a nail, and a hammer can improvise a shotgun. As long as the tube isn't aimed towards your face most likely the worst you will come away with is mild/moderate burns and a bigger set of balls.
Actually at worst you would end up with pieces of the tube lodged in your face or maybe a nail lodged inside of your body. When the apocalypse comes I really hope people do tend to abandon common sense like you seem to be advocating because it makes survival of the fittest so much easier.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 10, 2010

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I actually watched The Colony last night - it was worse than the poo poo my girlfriend watches on Bravo and VH1.

Oh well, new Bear Grylls tonight.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Bear should have kept trying for a shark. :black101:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I wonder how Pitchmen is going to do tonight with just Sully around. My guess is that they'll focus a lot more on the inventors coming to them rather than background camaraderie.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Anyone else going to check out Les Stroud's new show this Friday? Looks like he's still doing the "survival" stuff. He's just got a crew and will instead focus on learning stuff from indigenous peoples.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/beyond-survival/about-show.html

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous
Sounds like it's a re-vamp of that one show, Going Tribal. Which I liked, so I'll check it out for sure.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I would say "Man Woman Wild" is my new guilty pleasure, but I don't think it's even guilty anymore.

They've made some great platforms and water containers, and the show has also drawn attention to a few things I haven't seen in similar series -- like avoiding internal parasites in reptiles they've captured -- but mostly it's just entertaining.

I was initially annoyed by Ruth because she kept making friends with their meals and freaking out over snakes, but as soon as one made a strike at her husband she was all THAT SNAKE TRIED TO BITE YOU, MYKE. I HAVE TO PROTECT YOU, then lops the head off. She does want to learn (and sometimes makes valuable contributions) but her persona being the opposite of every other survival host is actually what makes their dynamic awesome. Hawke will be trying to do the macho growling expert thing, then Ruth chimes in with AND LOOK AT HOW CUTE HIS BUTT IS IN THOSE SHORTS. LOOK EVERYONE :v:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Also she has nice boobs.

Les Stroud show was pretty interesting.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I know Swords: Life on the Line is supposed to be the off-season replacement for Deadliest Catch, but it is really the most exciting form of fishing they could find for that time of the year? It's hard to get all :ohdear: when a boat breaks down or tempers flare when they're surrounded by perpetually calm waters.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 22, 2010

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Last year it wasn't much better with the Maine Lobster fishermen.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

Looks like Discovery is suing the Hillstrands:

Some Yahoo news item posted:

Discovery is seeking $3 million in damages after two stars of "Deadliest Catch," Jonathan and Andy Hillstrand, allegedly failed to live up to an agreement to complete a spin-off project.

According to the breach-of-contract lawsuit, filed last week in Maryland Circuit Court, the Hillstrands were to film a one-time special called "Hillstranded." The duo was coming off five seasons of "Deadliest Catch," one of the most popular programs on any Discovery-affiliated network. The special was to document the team's various adventures in Alaska; work unrelated to their jobs as crab fisherman. Two weeks of principal photography was shot in June, but there was still work to do.

http://tv.yahoo.com/deadliest-catch/show/41661/news/tv-news.en.reuters.com/tv-news.en.reuters.com-20100921-us_discovery

I'm sure they'll be really open to allowing the cameras back on their ship for the next season of Deadliest Catch.

Hillstranded!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Crisco Kid posted:

I would say "Man Woman Wild" is my new guilty pleasure, but I don't think it's even guilty anymore.

They've made some great platforms and water containers, and the show has also drawn attention to a few things I haven't seen in similar series -- like avoiding internal parasites in reptiles they've captured -- but mostly it's just entertaining.

I was initially annoyed by Ruth because she kept making friends with their meals and freaking out over snakes, but as soon as one made a strike at her husband she was all THAT SNAKE TRIED TO BITE YOU, MYKE. I HAVE TO PROTECT YOU, then lops the head off. She does want to learn (and sometimes makes valuable contributions) but her persona being the opposite of every other survival host is actually what makes their dynamic awesome. Hawke will be trying to do the macho growling expert thing, then Ruth chimes in with AND LOOK AT HOW CUTE HIS BUTT IS IN THOSE SHORTS. LOOK EVERYONE :v:

Seconding all of this, and I love how they aren't afraid to show when things gently caress up. A few episodes ago they were stranded in the Moab desert and about 3/4 of the episode was poo poo just not working at every turn, and then in Alaska they had to get bailed out by rescue choppers after hiking across the tundra for a few days with literally no food. It's probably the most honest survival show now that Survivorman's off the air.

E: why hello there thread necromancy!

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

McSpanky posted:

Seconding all of this, and I love how they aren't afraid to show when things gently caress up. A few episodes ago they were stranded in the Moab desert and about 3/4 of the episode was poo poo just not working at every turn, and then in Alaska they had to get bailed out by rescue choppers after hiking across the tundra for a few days with literally no food. It's probably the most honest survival show now that Survivorman's off the air.

E: why hello there thread necromancy!

It's a much better show than the premise would suggest. The couple, crew and producers succumb to almost no reality show nonsense and so you really do get that Les Stroud vibe from the show - they seem to stay somewhat stationary and interact with the environment and they show that sometimes there is no way to survive.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous
It's not really honest, or good. I mean, really. The guy's name is Myke Hawke, he's ex special-forces, and married to a hot international reporter, add to that his fake tough-guy voice, and douchebag armband tattoo, and this fucker is just a character from a really bad action movie.

I refuse to believe that he's anything but a fictional character.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
So what happened to Pitchmen? They aired two episodes, then it disappeared. Was it canceled that quickly, or are they taking the "V" approach of airing the first few episodes then going on hiatus for 6 months?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Karthillion posted:

It's not really honest, or good. I mean, really. The guy's name is Myke Hawke, he's ex special-forces, and married to a hot international reporter, add to that his fake tough-guy voice, and douchebag armband tattoo, and this fucker is just a character from a really bad action movie.

And thats why its SO loving GREAT. He keeps trying to be this badass and his wife keeps ruining it at every turn. Its hilarious.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Guy Compton posted:

Looks like Discovery is suing the Hillstrands:

http://tv.yahoo.com/deadliest-catch/show/41661/news/tv-news.en.reuters.com/tv-news.en.reuters.com-20100921-us_discovery

I'm sure they'll be really open to allowing the cameras back on their ship for the next season of Deadliest Catch.

Hillstranded!

Its gotten worse, I really doubt we'll have another (recognizable) season of Deadliest Catch if Discovery doesn't drop their lawsuit.

quote:

A trio of stars of Discovery's hit reality series "Deadliest Catch" have left the show.

Capts. Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand (right) -- who were sued earlier this month by Discovery for allegedly not performing work on a planned spinoff special -- as well as Capt. Sig Hansen, issued a statement to the Hollywood Reporter this afternoon saying they are "unable" to continue on the hit adventure series due to the litigation.
Full article: http://thresq.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/09/deadliest-catch-stars-kicked-off-show.html

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

Its gotten worse, I really doubt we'll have another (recognizable) season of Deadliest Catch if Discovery doesn't drop their lawsuit.

Looks like next season (if there is one) will be the last.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Party Plane Jones posted:

Who the hell's left? The Wizard? The next first time boat that says "gently caress this" after the season? This blows, I enjoyed following those two boats. Maybe I'll watch if they just stick with the Harris boys trying to rebuild, but even then it's a stretch.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Minto Took posted:

Looks like next season (if there is one) will be the last.

They shouldn't even do one at this point.

I really do wonder what the real story is behind all this poo poo though.

e: I really want to know because with the season so close to starting Sig is very possibly breaching contract as well. Gotta be more to it than the Hillstrands flaking out.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 29, 2010

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What happened with the Jake on the Northwestern who left to try and find his dad?

This really sucks, because the season ended with Edgar wanting out, the Harris boys rebuilding, and the Hillstrands about to hand the boat over to a new captain. I want to know what happened. :ohdear:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It honestly sounds like a normal breach of contract lawsuit and Discovery forgot that they were dealing with very loyal-to-each-other folks and it kind of got a bit bigger than it normally does. If everyone just takes a step back, I'm sure they can figure it out.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Palleon posted:

So what happened to Pitchmen? They aired two episodes, then it disappeared. Was it canceled that quickly, or are they taking the "V" approach of airing the first few episodes then going on hiatus for 6 months?

Wikipedia says it's slated to return later this year, which I hope is correct because it was still interesting.

I just saw a commercial for new episodes of Mythbusters starting next Wednesday, so that's a nice surprise. I hope Dirty Jobs comes back soon from their hiatus.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What happened with the Jake on the Northwestern who left to try and find his dad?

This really sucks, because the season ended with Edgar wanting out, the Harris boys rebuilding, and the Hillstrands about to hand the boat over to a new captain. I want to know what happened. :ohdear:

Still looking. Pretty much looks like his dad went to buy drugs and the deal went bad. It's too bad they'll probably never find out what happened.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

LordOfThePants posted:

Wikipedia says it's slated to return later this year, which I hope is correct because it was still interesting.

I just saw a commercial for new episodes of Mythbusters starting next Wednesday, so that's a nice surprise. I hope Dirty Jobs comes back soon from their hiatus.

mythbusters signed a contract that gives them a guaranteed 7 more seasons. or maybe 5. 7 or 5.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Discovery has to learn they're not dealing with TV execs and actors and the Hillstrands need to learn they're not dealing with ex-cons and junkies. Any network that has a pair is coming after you with both guns blazing if you flake on a deal with them, regardless of who you are. Andy and Jon probably thought something along the lines of "we're their stars, gently caress 'em" and thought they could do whatever.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I can take or leave the Hillstrands, but losing both Phil and Sig for next season is nearly a dealbreaker for me.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think everyone, the fishermen and Discovery make far too much money on this show for them to not be able to eventually settle this somehow.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

kefkafloyd posted:

I can take or leave the Hillstrands, but losing both Phil and Sig for next season is nearly a dealbreaker for me.

Doesn't Sig also have a producer credit on the show, or something like that? I think he was the captain who was the heaviest into promoting the show as well. If that sticks, it just about kills the show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, Sig is one of the executive producers and serves as the show's technical advisor.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Isn't Sig also behind the video games? There's another one coming out.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

BonoMan posted:

It honestly sounds like a normal breach of contract lawsuit and Discovery forgot that they were dealing with very loyal-to-each-other folks and it kind of got a bit bigger than it normally does. If everyone just takes a step back, I'm sure they can figure it out.

I agree. At certain levels of business, entities seems to communicate with each other only through lawsuit. It's nothing personal, it's just business.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

Karthillion posted:

I remember seeing Hawke on Science of Survival years ago, I think just before Bear and Stroud started the show fad. It was an I Shouldn't Be Alive mini spin-off about what to do if you were stranded ____, and Myke was the jungle environment expert. I only know this because he was the only memorable host aside from Les Stroud, plus he showed the audience how to dig a hole by standing water then let it filter through the sand. And because his name is loving Myke Hawke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

LordOfThePants posted:

Dirty Jobs is back on the 19th along with Ghost Lab. Storm Chasers is back on the 13th as well.

• Locked thread