Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
LtKenFrankenstein, watch Faust. I've only seen parts of it, but I love that whole era of German cinema, so I think you'll really like it if you liked Nosferatu.

So...uh...Eraserhead.

:gonk: :psyduck:

But seriously, I can definitely say that the lighting and sound were absolutely perfect; the lighting really helps that creepiness, and the constant wind and the amplification of sounds like the radiator and those puppies really added to that. As for the story, I noticed that the creepy "baby" reminded me a lot of how embryos look, so I was thinking that Lynch was going towards some commentary on life and birth and babies and parenthood, though I can't exactly make heads or tails out of that.

Onto more concrete things, my updated list:

1. Chinatown Eraserhead Goodfellas - Let's get more Scorsese in here.

2. Solaris - The plot sounds really interesting, but I'm wary about the length.

3. Bullitt Dog Day Afternoon The Fountain - It's the only Aronofsky film I haven't seen, and he's one of my favorite directors.

4. Sunset Boulevard - Another classic I haven't seen. (I replaced Imitation of Life because I realized that I don't like Sirk as much as I thought I did.)

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I caught For a Few Dollars More on Turner Classic last week and loved it, so I really want to see the first one.

6. Badlands Reservoir Dogs - I really like Tarantino, but I still haven't seen this.

7. North by Northwest Psycho - I've seen probably the first 20 minutes or so, and besides, I've got to (hopefully) redeem myself for North by Northwest.

8. The Player Perfect Blue - I've never seen a Satoshi Kon film, and it seems right to see it now.

9. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Let the Right One In Apocalypse Now - It's a classic, so of course I should see it, but I really got interested after I read that Coppola said that Aguirre, Wrath of God inspired him while making this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Vertigo Ambrosia, you get Goodfellas.

Forbidden Planet was a fun trip. I went in expecting just a 50s pulp science fiction story, but was surprised to find deeper themes about power and progress explored. You can definitely see that Star Trek owes a lot to this movie. A fun film.

1) Bonnie and Clyde- one of the last new Hollywood films I've yet to see
2) Bullet in the Head- I like early John Woo, this is supposed to be his best
3) Le Samourai- I'm a novice on French film and this interests me
4) Le Cercle Rouge- same as above
5) Once Upon A Time In The West- I'm catching up on my westerns
6) Days of Heaven- the only Malick film I haven't seen
7) Night of the Living Dead- time for some early horror
8) Jackie Brown- this slipped through the cracks on me, no excuse
9) Blue Velvet- I'm not a Lynch fan but want to give this a try
10) Stagecoach- never seen a John Ford western

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

7) Night of the Living Dead- time for some early horror

This is the only movie on your list that I've seen. I don't think too highly of it but it's certainly worth watching if you are interested in movies that were highly influential. Not that it's bad or anything, of course.

North by Northwest was pretty drat silly, it felt like a precursor to the James Bond movies. It was very entertaining, although I definitely prefer the more serious Hitchcock films. Mmmmm, hot train on tunnel action.

1. Seven Samurai - I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca - It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this. I guess it just seems...sappy.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront - The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Adaptation - Seems like a logical replacement for Eternal Sunshine.

6. The Trial - I'm just Super Gay for Orson Welles, I guess.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights - I have never seen a silent movie and I'm curious to see if I could like one.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas - I watched some of this on basic cable once, but watching this movie that way seems like putting a steak in a blender and then drinking it through a straw.

10. The Thin Blue Line
Harlan County, U.S.A. - Another documentary that I want to see at some point.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished watching Hard Boiled. Had some of the best action sequences ever, even if it was a little cheesy. Really enjoyed it but had to watch the dubbed version, which made some scenes which were meant to be emotional quite funny.

Atheistdeals.com go and watch Goodfellas.

Updated List:

Mullholland Drive - Never had time for this. Heard good things but it always appeared overly complex. Don't know how true that is.

Gone With The Wind - Might very well be the last of the great classics I should watch.

Psycho - Might as well replace Rear Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

The Great Escape - I'm sure I've seen it but have very little recollection. It's got Coburn, Bronson and McQueen in as had Magnificent Seven so hopefully it's a winning combo.

Infernal Affairs - Heard it's where The Departed took it's story from. Can't be a bad thing.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

The Dirty Dozen - Quite enjoyed wild bunch so thought I'd replace it with a similar 'flawed heroes' film. Kelly's Heroes next, probably.

The Killer - Enjoyed Hard Boiled so much I thought I'd put another John Woo film in.

To Kill a Mockingbird - I think I vaguely know the story. It seems everyone else was made to read this in school apart from me.

Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

Once Upon A Time In America Zatoichi Downfall Children of Men The Deer Hunter Sunset Boulevard Badlands Jackie Brown Citizen Kane The Wild Bunch Seven Samurai The Magnificent Seven Casablanca Cool Hand Luke Amadeus Rear Window 2001: A Space Odyssey North by Northwest The Graduate It's a Wonderful Life Heat Hard Boiled

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
gently caress, I'm totally in on this.

Atheistdeals.com posted:

1. Seven Samurai - I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

I hope you don't have anything pertinent planned, because you're going to be watching my (predictably) favourite Kurosawa film. While I have trouble deciding some days, Yojimbo, if not my favourite is definitely my second favourite. Toshiro Mifune is such a pleasure to watch and as much as I enjoy his character in Yojimbo and Sanjuro where he employs a level of wit and unbridled skill, rivaled only by loving Batman; he's all the better as the maniacs he plays in Rahoman and Seven Samurai. Obviously, this is vastly more than a Mifune vehicle, this is one of the amazing, beloved and influential films of all time.

Edit: Oh for gently caress sakes, way to beat me to it. You should still watch Seven Samurai though :eng101:

mikewozere, you are getting To Kill a Mockingbird, this is an American classic one should have a strong command of, not a vague remembrance. Hurry up and watch Gregory Peck's tour de force.

1. The Seventh Seal - I began watching it, but something came up and I had to run to the hospital and didn't have a chance to finish it. I just haven't got around to it since.

2. The Thin Red Line - I have seen Badlands and Days of Heaven, and while I enjoyed the latter it can't even remotely compare with my adoration of Badlands. I just picked up the Criterion bluray.

3. 12 Angry Men - I recently discovered I could rent this on iTunes, so what am I waiting for, right?

4. Stagecoach - I love westerns and I have never seen a John Ford western. The Wild Bunch is one of my favourite movies, but given the discrepancy between that and something like this, I'm fearful that I may not appreciate it as much as I ought to, and hence have been apprehensive. Its sitting on my Amazon list, I just need to pull the trigger.

5. Unforgiven - Wow, I am a terrible western fan.

6. Shogun Assassin - This definitely looks like a good time.

Silber fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 28, 2010

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Silber - watch The Seventh Seal

Watched La dolce vita yesterday. Had some brilliant segments to it, but didn't really seem to mesh quite like 8 1/2. I think I really need to rewatch this for it to set in properly.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game - Ok, I've seen Grand Illusion and a few other Renoirs but I haven't seen this one yet despite the fact it's supposed to be one of the best movies ever.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita
Through a Glass Darkly - Can never go wrong with more Bergman.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or - Old Bunuel which I haven't seen. Most importantly, though, it's nice and short.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

dotCommunism posted:

The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

There's only a couple in your list I've seen, so you might as well do this one.

White Heat - It started out ok but then seemed to drag a bit in places and the ending was somewhat lame.

1. Satya - I know absolutely nothing about this, other than it's Indian.
(NEW) 2. Broken Blossoms - Some silent movie I've never, ever, heard of.
3. Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925) - I watched the newer Ben-Hur a couple months ago. Now it's time for a much older version.
4. Coraline - I bought this on blu-ray when it came out. I've seen a little bit here and there from when the kids watched it but never sat down with it.
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - No clue about this movie.
6. Pushpak - Once again, I know nothing about this.
7. Walk The Line - Never got excited to see this even though I heard it's good.
8. Hellboy II: The Golden Army - First one was alright. Just never got around to watching this.
9. Juno - I loving hated the trailer for this for the same reasons as everyone else that hated it for. The loving dialog. I debated putting this in my list but it is on some other lists I'm trying to complete :(
10. The Kid - Discovered this Chaplin film in one of my 50 movie packs that I've never touched

Seen: The Wrestler, Witness for the Prosecution, White Heat

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Why isn't this thread gold? It's the best one we got.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
chemosh6969, please enjoy The Kid

Night of the Livind Dead, despite the overt cheesiness, was a decent horror film and easy to see why it's influential. I'm not a horror guy, but I tend to like paranoia/ claustrophobic movies, so this fit the bill perfectly.

6) Days of Heaven- the only Malick film I haven't seen
7) The Shining- staying with the horror genre, no excuse for this one

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Why isn't this thread gold? It's the best one we got.

Because no one in CineD votes on threads.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
I'm voting it up. There are a ridiculous amount of incredibly good films that I wouldn't of seen, were it not for this thread.

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
First thing's first: Mistletoe Donkey gets to watch "Days of Heaven," to finish off his set.

Anyway, FINALLY saw "Usual Suspects":

Now everybody knows the big twist at the end, but in no way does this spoil the rest of the movie. It's just twisty-turny enough to intrigue, but just less than enough to confuse. Characters were well-drawn, the action was well-paced, and it scratched every suspense-movie itch. One question I have is if everything was a ruse, and if supposedly there was no Mr. Kobayashi, then who was driving the car at the very end?. All in all this is definitely a movie I want to watch with other people, and that I would gladly watch again. *****

I'll post my updated list once I find it.

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
Found it

Soundtrack To Mary posted:

OK, I'm game, but this time, a THEME!!

I really want to see the BIG crime movies:

1: The Godfather - Only seen parts of it, but was completely entranced.

2: The Godfather 2 - Might as well go the whole hog.

3: Dog Day Afternoon - Again, don't see why I never finished it

4: Sleuth - I keep hearing great things about this, so WHY HAVEN'T I SEEN IT?

5: The French Connection - I've had a weird kind of fascination for this movie for a while, so I might as well see what all the hubbub is about.

6: Snatch - Saw "Lock, Stock..." and LOVED it, so I figure that this is at least worth a glance

7: The Usual Suspects Mean Streets

8: The Sting

9: Bonnie and Clyde

10: Chinatown

Srsly, the number of classic movies that I haven't seen is kind of depressing.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Soundtrack to Mary, watch The Godfather. Preferably on the new Blu Ray. Perfect movie. Preferably you'd follow it up with The Sting for some lighthearted fun, but that's beyond the power of this post.

Everything about The Earrings of Madame de... was pretty amazingly done. The storytelling by character interaction, editing, cinematography, everything. I really, really dislike all three characters, but I guess that's part of what it's going for. This won't rank in my all time top ten FAVORITE French films, but it's hard to find any flaws.

1. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her- Godard is usually love or "meh" for me; this was on sale for amazingly cheap so I bought it but haven't watched it yet.

2. Family Plot- Minor Hitchcock left over from the large velvet box set.

3.The Secret In Their Eyes- Won best foreign film Oscar, is crime related, and apparently it's in the top 250 at IMDB now.

4. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon- I love John Wayne/John Ford movies, just haven't gotten around to this one.

5. The Three Faces of Eve- Easily the movie I've owned the longest but haven't watched.

NEW 6. Bringing Up Baby- Next highest for me on They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? list. I'm not a big fan of oldschool comedies, but so be it.

7. Pepe le Moko- I've always wondered why Jean Gabin was such a star.

8. The Last Picture Show - Just watched and loved Lonesome Dove for the first time, so let's keep the McMurty going. The cast also looks amazing.

9. Slumdog Millionaire- Don't know anything about it, don't have THAT much interest in it, but it seems to be something a lot of people have seen and are interested in talking about, so here it is.

10. V for Vendetta- Usually when there's a movie I'm not interested in on the IMDB top 250, I assume it'll disappear as people forget about it or realize it's not that great. This one's still here. Why?

This thread has helped me get rid of: Life is Beautiful, Bonnie and Clyde, Bullitt, To Be Or Not To Be, The Earrings of Madame de...

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Brian Fellows, watch Bringing Up Baby, if for no other reason that it's Howard Hawks

Days of Heaven is now fighting Badlands as my favorite Malick movie. I know he's only directed four films, but drat if he doesn't knock it out every single time. Maybe the most beautiful film I've ever seen, the story is heartbreaking, it's just a perfect film.

6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven

Mistletoe Donkey fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 29, 2010

Nodrog
Apr 17, 2002

by angerbeet

Atheistdeals.com posted:

City Lights - I have never seen a silent movie and I'm curious to see if I could like one.
Watch the first 10 minutes; if you dont like the opening scene I doubt youll like the rest. I'd only seen one silent film before it, but the opening of City Lights really captivated me and I stuck with it and the rest was pretty cool. The end is touching, and the music throughout is really catchy.

1) Tokyo Story (never seen anything by Ozu)
2) The White Ribbon (Not got round to it yet. I have mixed experiences with Haneke; I love Funny Games and Cache, but thought Piano Teacher and Time of the Wolf were mediocre)
3) Dekalogue (I dont think I'll like this, I really hated Double Life of Véronique, and thought TC:B was only ok. Too impressionistic for me.)
4) Ran (long, but Ikiru is one of my favourite films ever).
5) The Silence (So far I prefer Bergman's later work (Shame, Persona etc) to his earlier films, not really sure how this one fits in).
6) The Godfather (Ive never watched a gangster film except Donnie Brasco, which sucked, and City of God which was decent)
7) The Bicycle Thieves (I have no idea what this film is even about, people stealing bicycles I guess)
8) Manderlay (Dancer in the Dark is one of the worst films I've seen. Dogville is one of the best. Where will this be?!)
9) F is for Fake (I dislike Orson Welles' films but apparently this is different, also Robert Anton Wilson loved it and hes pretty cool)
10) The Fountain (apparently the soundtrack is good?)

Nodrog fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 29, 2010

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
you're supposed to suggest me a movie

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Mistletoe Donkey - if Nodrog doesn't pick something for you, go with Bonnie and Clyde, since Arthur Penn died today.

Nodrog - go with Ran

So I watched The Birth of a Nation and let me start off by saying it's probably the most disgusting and abhorrent movie I've ever seen. Even the first half is filled with this revisionist white-washing attitude towards the ante-bellum South which gives me issue enough. However, the entire second half is just a big hate screed. Filled with racist caricatures and liberties with history it creates a narrative that blacks oppressed white southerners during reconstruction leading to the heroic Klan putting the blacks back into their place. What is rather interesting, though, is this sort of racist fantasy seems to have re-emerged into contemporary discourse. In fact it seems to be what the entire Tea Party hinges on.
Overall, though, I can't divorce any appreciation for the film as a work from the vile, hate-filled propaganda that it is.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation
Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game - Ok, I've seen Grand Illusion and a few other Renoirs but I haven't seen this one yet despite the fact it's supposed to be one of the best movies ever.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or - Old Bunuel which I haven't seen. Most importantly, though, it's nice and short.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
Has it really been so long?

dotCommunism posted:

I think I've actually heard of this one? Heh. I'm the sort of person who is into these "first-ever" sorts of pieces, so have at. At least you're watching something that contributed to... anything.

Vertigo was pretty good. I was actually surprised by some twists, and flat-out amazed at how Hitchcock got away with so much. There's a ton of subtle innuendo that's pretty raunchy for the times. The horror techniques employed during the tense bits sort of floor me, and I re-realized how incredibly derivative the horror market is. There were a lot of times watching the movie when I thought, every modern horror / tense / dramatic film I've ever seen really was built on Hitchcock, wasn't it? fake edit: Holy crap, where did my grammar go?

However, mega points off because Vertigo ends a half-dozen times. I started having flashbacks to A.I. The final ending is a great one, but all the other quasi-endings should have been edited to contribute to the finale. I walked away feeling the movie dragged when the bulk of it didn't. 8/10? It's sort of a 10/10 with several brief 2/10 why the hell am I watching this restarts.

I also watched Serenity. I seriosuly can't believe how many people claim this is anything other than a long episode of a Whedon TV show, although Nathan Fillion and the few other decent actors did their very best to make something of it. Star Trek, I'm calling it after the RLM review, there's no way I don't hate this movie.

-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 6/10
-The Great Dictator- I don't think I've ever seen a Chaplain film all the way through.
-Once Upon a Time in the West- Love Good/Bad/Ugly and so forth, didn't catch this one.
-Vertigo- 8/10
-Heat- Always expected to catch it on TV, never did
-Lawrence of Arabia- 9/10
-The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- Not usually a tear-jerker sort of person.
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- 8/10
-Serenity- 4/10
-Metropolis (the anime)- Adore the actual movie, hasn't seen the ahneemu.
-Raging Bull- I usually don't jive with deNiro, I didn't even like Taxi Driver.
-Inglourious Basterds- Missed it at box office, haven't caught it since.
-Brazil- I saw 12 Monkeys, so don't give me that look!
-Star Trek(2009)- 2/10
-The Fountain- No seriously why haven't I watched this yet? Requiem fan.
-Ikiru- 10/10
-M- Metropolis is my #1 movie, all-time, haven't seen any other Lang

TannhauserGate fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 29, 2010

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

dotCommunism posted:

So I watched The Birth of a Nation and let me start off by saying it's probably the most disgusting and abhorrent movie I've ever seen.

Glad you liked it ;)

Obidy
Sep 6, 2010
TannhauserGate, I was just thinking about Brazil, so you get that.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a classic. It's definitely not a typical Western, but there's a good mix of everything. Newman and Redford are hilarious and an absolute joy to watch. All in all good stuff.

THE LIST:

1. The Bicycle Thieves - This is one of the many movies on my netflix instant queue right now, and I'm familiar with the basic premise, of a man who has the bicycle he needs for work stolen. I don't know much else except for how it's generally on lists of the greatest movies of all time.

2. Do the Right Thing - My only previous exposure to Spike Lee has been the Inside Man, but I'm interested in seeing some of his earlier stuff. It was between this and Malcolm X, but Do the Right Thing is like an hour and a half shorter, so I went with this one.

3. The Last Emperor - Bertolucci isn't a filmmaker I'm all that familiar with, but for some reason I like the idea of this movie and want to see if it's as good as a lot of critics say it is.

4. The Searchers - My dad is the kind of guy who has seen every, and I mean every John Wayne film ever made. This is his favorite Western of all time, and a few years ago he sat me down to watch it. I got bored and wandered off, but now I'm much more interested in watching it than before.

5. Raging Bull I definitely need to watch more of Scorsese's work, especially from his earlier days. I don't know if I'd say I enjoyed Taxi Driver, but it enthralled me in a horrified sort of way and kept creeping into my thoughts for days. I've been interested in seeing the next of his collaborations with De Niro and Paul Schrader, and I finally got my hands on a copy of this, so, here it is.

6. The General - This supposed to be Buster Keaton's masterpiece, and one of the greatest movies of the silent era. I have yet to see any silents in general, so I wanted to start with a good one.

7. Hoop Dreams - I first became interested in seeing this when I heard it so highly recommended from Roger Ebert, and ever since then I've been meaning to watch it but never got around to it.

8. The Sting - I want more of Redford and Newman, those guys are amazing.

9. Paths of Glory - I have only a limited exposure to Kubrick's movies and want to see more, so I figured that this would be a good starting point with him.

10. Yojimbo - I've seen a bunch of Kurosawa's movies, but for some reason I've never seen Yojimbo. I couldn't tell you for the life of me how I missed this one, but it just seemed to slip through my fingers.

Already seen: Wild Strawberries: 9/10, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Obidy posted:

7. Hoop Dreams - I first became interested in seeing this when I heard it so highly recommended from Roger Ebert, and ever since then I've been meaning to watch it but never got around to it.

I'm glad I got a chance to make someone watch this because Hoop Dreams is amazing and it needs to be seen by everyone.

Goodfellas is possibly the most perfectly constructed movie I've ever seen. Every scene, every line, every piece of music, every shot just works. It didn't hit as hard as Taxi Driver emotionally but it's just a different kind of film. It's a drat shame that Ray Liotta never did anything half as good as this. "What am I, a schmuck on wheels?"

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca - It never entered my mind to seek this out until this year when I got Netflix and started to going through older movies that I missed out on. I probably wouldn't watch this unless someone on the internet told me to. I don't know why I have an irrational aversion to this. I guess it just seems...sappy.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront - The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Adaptation - Seems like a logical replacement for Eternal Sunshine.

6. The Trial - I'm just Super Gay for Orson Welles, I guess.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas
Annie Hall - Never seen a Woody Allen movie.

10. The Thin Blue Line
Harlan County, U.S.A. - Another documentary that I want to see at some point.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Atheistdeals.com - go with Casablanca. Kids these days!

Watched Man with a Movie Camera and it was outstanding. I wasn't expecting anything with so much energy. The editing was great. It really felt ahead of its time.

Updated list:

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

dotCommunism posted:

*tips hat* Enjoy!

Gojira was a lot better than I anticipated, the man in a suit stuff was minimal & now I understand why the American remake was hated so much - the comment on the horrors of the atomic bomb & weapons of mass destruction was pretty blunt. Some scenes showing the citizens after Godzilla attacked got to me, my eyes started misting up... which soundly absolutely loving mental, I know.

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
I've recently become really interested in early-cinema and although I don't have the patience to deal with Birth of a Nation I realise that D.W. Griffith was pretty important to the development of cinema and would like to see at least one of his films, Intolerance seems to have a message which is the polar opposite of Birth of a Nation so it seems to be a natural choice.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
I like the synopsis of the story and want to see as much Lang as I can.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
Until very recently I had this and Casablanca lumped into the same "old romantic film I don't really need to see" box in my head - after watching the greatness that is Casablanca I fear that this may not actually be worth my time. It's like the Danny DeVito to the Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins... or is it?

5. The Grapes of Wrath (1940, John Ford)
I don't know much about this film or John Ford, I'd like to change that.

8. A Streetcar Named Desire (1951, Elia Kazan)
Kazan and Brando - it's got to be great. I really enjoyed an amateur production of Tennessee Williams' play Suddenly Last Summer earlier this year & if this film captures the same sort of wry, brilliant Southern patter than I'll really love it.

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

12. Un Chien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog) (1929, Luis Buńuel)
I became aware of it a few years ago when I was looking back at milestone moments in horror & the eye-cutting scene is still with me, iconic. I'd like to experience the whole film though.

13. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (The Passion of Joan of Arc) (1928, Carl Theodore Dreyer)
As far as 1920's films this one is probably in the higher tier of 'must see'. The iconic imagery is already in my head, it's just a matter of watching the film now!

14. Bronenosets Potyomkin (Battleship Potemkin) (1925, Sergei M. Eisenstein)
I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy it if what I read is correct but I'm more than willing to give it a chance considering how highly regarded it is.

15. Shadow of a Doubt (1943, Alfred Hitchcock)
I mean to watch every Hitchcock film.

Seen:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Gojira (Godzilla) - 7/10.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

BisonDallah, you're getting A Streetcar Named Desire.

So I just started college and hadn't had any time to watch movies. But now that I've settled in I sat down and watched Dr. Strangelove this morning and while I wasn't in hysterics necessarily, Peter Sellers is a genius. His scenes as Mandrake were my favorite parts. 7.5/10

#1 Eraserhead - I've never seen a David Lynch film before. I've had this one on my hard drive for awhile now and I've always been curious about it.

#2 Apocalypse Now - I started watching it about a year ago. I got about thirty minutes in and got too tired to stay up. Never finished it.

#4 The Maltese Falcon - I like noir and my grandpa told me it was great.

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#8 American History X - Same reason as everything else here.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#12 Barton Fink - I'm a big Coen Brothers fan but still haven't gotten around to this one. I've heard good things.

#14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? - This one doesn't get mentioned a lot but is supposed to be a classic. Willing to give it a watch and it's on Netflix instant.

#15 The Godfather - It's on Netflix instant now, I really have no excuse for this one.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

TrixRabbi posted:

#8 American History X - Same reason as everything else here.

Put your mouth on the curb, TrixRabbi.

The Kid - Well worth the $12, or so, I paid for the set that included that.

1. Satya - I know absolutely nothing about this, other than it's Indian.
2. Broken Blossoms - Some silent movie I've never, ever, heard of.
3. Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925) - I watched the newer Ben-Hur a couple months ago. Now it's time for a much older version.
4. Coraline - I bought this on blu-ray when it came out. I've seen a little bit here and there from when the kids watched it but never sat down with it.
5. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - No clue about this movie.
6. Pushpak - Once again, I know nothing about this.
7. Walk The Line - Never got excited to see this even though I heard it's good.
8. Hellboy II: The Golden Army - First one was alright. Just never got around to watching this.
9. Juno - I loving hated the trailer for this for the same reasons as everyone else that hated it for. The loving dialog. I debated putting this in my list but it is on some other lists I'm trying to complete :(
(NEW) 10. The Last Emperor - I think I saw part of this a long time ago and wanted to come back and watch it in full

Seen: The Wrestler, Witness for the Prosecution, White Heat, The Kid

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Just in case FFD makes another List of Further Shaming, I just wanted to note that I'm going to try and make it through all of Rohmer's films rather than just Bakery Girl of Monceau before I post in here again. And, for the record, Bakery Girl was quite good.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
chemosh6969 - watch Juno. Try not to let yourself get bothered because the dialogue is idiosyncratic because if you let yourself get hung up on the dialogue you'll miss out on appreciating a good movie.

L'age d'or was very weird, which I suppose is to be expected for Bunuel. Definitely felt similar to a silent film with very sparse dialogue and use of intertitles.

So for October, all of the movies which I add to my list are going to be horror movies.

Updated list:

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now

Z

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek - More Herzog.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita

Audition
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or
Bride of Frankenstein - I've seen Frankenstein and this one's supposed to be a lot better.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dotCommunism watch The Rules of the Game, but don't go in with the idea of "best film ever," no film can live up to that hype.

drat, work has really slowed down my progress in this thread. Anyway, Kanal was pretty great, though harrowing. The first half of the film is a solid introduction to the characters and setting and very well done, but it's the second half in the sewers that really makes this a classic. Even watching it at home on DVD it really imparts the sense of claustrophobia, desperation and filth. The whole thing is heart-wrenchingly effective.

Updated list:

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters The Criterion cover looks really cool.

Novecento OK, I've decided I want to watch the top 600 TSPDT films by the end of the year. With only 17 left it shouldn't be too hard , but there's a handful I'm reluctant to watch and this one tops the list.

Days and Nights in the Forest Why did I stop watching Ray films? Maybe this'll start me back up again.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

The War of The Worlds Bought this a few years ago, never got around to it.

Floating Weeds Along the "directors I like and need to see more from" lines, I haven't sen some Ozu in a while.

A Face in the Crowd No reason for not watching this, it's always been near the top of my list of stuff I want to watch but keeps getting pushed down.

Field of Dreams I'm not sure the word shameful should apply to this, but it's a pretty big part of pop culture that I haven't seen.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10

Sheldrake posted:

Just in case FFD makes another List of Further Shaming, I just wanted to note that I'm going to try and make it through all of Rohmer's films rather than just Bakery Girl of Monceau before I post in here again. And, for the record, Bakery Girl was quite good.
I'm glad to hear this. Rohmer's pretty consistent so if you like his style you won't be disappointed, though you might find the occasional character that's not to your liking.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Peaceful Anarchy, you get Field of Dreams

I just finished Pyscho, waited til a weekend to watch it, as I don't like being scared, not sleeping, and then going to work the next day. It was quite interesting, it got the infamous shower scene which I was ready for... and I thought the rest of the movie was going to be about finding out what happened and catching Mr. Bates. Then the P.I. goes to talk to the mother and he gets slashed at the top of the stairs. I was not expecting any more psycho kills, that put me quite on edge for the rest of the movie. It was incredible watching a movie where I thought I knew the plot, and then promptly have my mind thrown about like a rag doll. And Hitchcock has this uncanny ability to make a scene be off-putting, no matter what is taking place.

And for my new list:

1.) Seventh Seal - Never seen Bergmen. This is supposed to be a good one to start on.

2.) Stalker - Okay maybe this one isnt' that long. But I still preceive it as being ridiculously long. (I did see Solaris and wasn't a huge fan, it's also where my idea of length of this movie comes from)

3.) King Kong (1933) - I've seen parts of this movie many times, never seen it all the way through.

4.) Lawarence of Arabia - I have no idea how/why I have not seen this yet.

5.) Once Upon a Time in the West - I like westerns, just haven't seen this one.

6.) Chinatown - I like Nicholson. I like Noir a bit, but I really like weird variations on Noir, so I'll probably like this a lot.

7.) Ragin Bull - As far as I'm concerned Rocky is the only boxing movie ever made, so I've never even given this a chance. (But I did watch Million Dollar baby.)

8.) Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck is my favorite author, and I've puprosefully avoided any movies from his books lest they taint his image.

9.) Come and See - I watched the first half and it was quite horrifying, not sure if I really should finish it or not.

10.) The Shining - Kubrick makes pretty good films, but a lot of them are fairly scary. I really don't like being scared all that much. I did watch Shutter Island this year, and have been getting more into horror, so perhaps it's time to ditch the fear factor and watch it. And then not sleep the rest of the week.

Completed: Casablanca, Pyscho

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

1st_Panzer_Div. in what will surely be a shock to no one, you get Lawarence of Arabia

Field of Dreams is the kind of ridiculous overwrought "follow your dreams" inspirational drama I expected, with eye rolling moments and unintentional comedy coming at a pretty consistent clip. I will give it credit for being pretty genuine, though, and mildly original in parts. At least the characters, while doing nonsensical things, acknowledge how ridiculous their actions are. Given that, and my childhood love for baseball, I still found myself kind of enjoying in parts. I might have enjoyed it more without Amy Madigan, she's a terrible actress.

Updated list:

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Novecento OK, I've decided I want to watch the top 600 TSPDT films by the end of the year. With only 17 left it shouldn't be too hard , but there's a handful I'm reluctant to watch and this one tops the list.

Days and Nights in the Forest Why did I stop watching Ray films? Maybe this'll start me back up again.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

The War of The Worlds Bought this a few years ago, never got around to it.

Floating Weeds Along the "directors I like and need to see more from" lines, I haven't sen some Ozu in a while.

A Face in the Crowd No reason for not watching this, it's always been near the top of my list of stuff I want to watch but keeps getting pushed down.

Sans toit ni loi I bought the Criterion Varda boxset the week it came out, all excited after loving Cleo from 5 to 7 and then proceeded to not watch any of it.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams[ 6/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Is that the Spielberg War of the Worlds or the Byron Haskin/George Pal version on your list?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Is that the Spielberg War of the Worlds or the Byron Haskin/George Pal version on your list?

The original. I've seen the Spielberg one, it was forgettable.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The original's such a childhood favorite of mine. I haven't seen it in years, I wonder how it holds up.

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I think you should give this one a shot. I have yet to watch it (though I am a fan of Mishima as a writer) so I'd definitely be interested in knowing your thoughts on this. I actually thought it would be a documentary.

My shameful list:

Wild Strawberries--I have seen two Bergman films and loved them both; this is also considered to be one of his finest works. I have to be in specific moods to watch them though, which is probably why I have neglected to watch this.

Ikiru--Considering the classic Kurosawa films that I have seen, I really have no excuse to not have watched this.

Paths of Glory--Sounds like the type of film that I'd love, but I've been catching up on the great films mentioned here and haven't gotten around to this one. I'm looking to rectify that.

Rear Window--I remember trying to watch Hitchcock films as a child and couldn't get into them at all. Then I watched North By Northwest as a teen and thought it was great. Still I had no desire to watch more. I've had a strange sort of ambivalence towards Hitchcock's films, but I think I'm ready to dive in again now.

Gandhi--I don't mind really slow-moving epic films at all (they tend to be my favorites) but time usually gets in the way of watching them.

Aguirre, The Wrath of God--I can't explain why I haven't seen this.

Brazil--It sounds pretty interesting. I'm a little worried that I may not be able to get into it for some reason though.

Das Boot--This is another film I tried watching really young and failed to get into. I think I'd like it a whole lot more if I watched it now.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre--This really sounds like a great film but I'm pretty behind on my 40's-50's Hollywood classics. To be honest I never even heard of this film before it popped up in my Recommended list.

Ashes and Diamonds--I absolutely adored Kanal and this is considered to be as good or better? Sign me up!

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you
Villain's Mask you get Wild Strawberries. If you enjoy Bergman you'll probably love it.

Continuing my horrifically slow pace I just finished Night of the Hunter. Took a bit to get going but I got quite invested in it towards the end, and I love how the tension ramped up. I almost wish Powell had even more screen time just because of how morbidly fascinating he was, and I get a kick out of the whole fake preacher thing. The music was great too.

Adhesion posted:

Touch of Evil: Welles is one of those important filmmakers that I've only seen one or no films by (guess which one in this case), which is probably going to be a recurring theme here.

Night of the Hunter
Bicycle Thieves: My knowledge of Italian cinema is basically nil.

M: Just saw the restored Metropolis (only Lang I've seen of course), which was great but more heavyhanded than what I remembered from when I watched it the first time. Hoping this is a bit better.

Modern Times: Haven't seen any Chaplin movies, might as well start here.

North by Northwest
Vertigo
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly: I figured I should start fixing my whole lack of western knowledge. I saw Sukiyaki Western Django and enjoyed it but felt like I couldn't get as much out of it since I was so utterly unfamiliar with the genre. Time to rectify that.

The Apartment: Haven't seen any Wilder movies either.

Amarcord or 8 1/2: Again, have yet to see any Fellini.

Ikiru
Fanny and Alexander: I love Bergman (The Seventh Seal might be my all-time favorite film), but somehow I only made it halfway through this - the theatrical version, even. I'm up for the TV version too as penance.

Pierrot le fou: Guess how much Godard I've seen! Actually now I've seen Breathless and liked it quite a bit so I'm looking forward to this.

On the Waterfront: Another well-acclaimed older film I don't know much about.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

If... was real good. English boarding schools just look like hell on earth. The black and white segments were delightfully jarring every time. The beating in the gym had some of the best acting I've ever seen. I can see the influence from Zero de Conduite and the influence on Clockwork Orange, but probably better than both. McDowall is remarkable. He's got that Kinski "I may be real-life crazy" kind of magnetism.

Adhesion, check out The Apartment.

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Bad and the Beautiful I've been meaning to get into Minnelli.

Odd Man Out Sitting on my DVR. Give me an excuse.

Partie de campagne More Renoir, why not?

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

Autumn Sonata Let's do it.

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Written on the Wind Sirk-a-thon 2010

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10)

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
penismightier, enjoy The Bad and the Beautiful

Bonnie and Clyde has maybe the best opening and closing scenes I've seen. Perfect bookends to the movie. I was actually surprised at the amount of violence in the movie, which I guess was groundbreaking for the time. I had a lot of fun with it.

1) The Big Sleep- can't go wrong with Bogart, Bacall, and Howard Hawks
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Finally watched Fanny and Alexander. It started off with some promise, I thought, but ended stale and unsatisfying. It's pretty obvious Bergman is communicating "big ideas" here, but I wasn't interested enough to grasp onto anything in particular.

Taking an extended break from the thread, so the next person should pick for Mistletoe Donkey. I'm glad that the thread took off and remains strong. Keep up the work, everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I don't like you anymore.