Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

BigHead posted:

Fun fact: Alaska's version of Rudy Giuliani doesn't just pack heat, he packs a loving assault rifle. Dude has four guns (that I saw) in his office. Two huntin' rifles, one hand gun for protection, and one assault rifle "just 'cause."

Therefore, Alaska is superior Denny Crain.

Our former AG had an entire armory in his personal office (his family runs the gun stores), and went around with two investigator/bodyguards at all times.

The AG that won the subsequent election entered the office at 12:01 AM and changed the locks, since there were rumors of an impending armed standoff. Many people at the office called in sick that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Abugadu posted:

Our former AG had an entire armory in his personal office (his family runs the gun stores), and went around with two investigator/bodyguards at all times.

The AG that won the subsequent election entered the office at 12:01 AM and changed the locks, since there were rumors of an impending armed standoff. Many people at the office called in sick that day.

If 90% of America has never heard of your tiny quasi-American island, then your island don't count.

Seriously though you had a nice contribution to the psycho-MI-AAG thread.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

BigHead posted:

If 90% of America has never heard of your tiny quasi-American island, then your island don't count.

Don't you ever, ever speak ill of Guam.

Not only is it the place of my people, it is our thread's totem homeland, where Law Is Good; Abugadu is its prophet.

Petey fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 1, 2010

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Petey posted:

profit.

heh...

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Petey posted:

Abugadu is its profit.

:shepface:

Re: the University of Laverne and Shirley Law School

Please please please dissuade your friend from attending that lovely provisionally accredited law school. There's people in this thread who have no legal employment and went to law schools that barely hang onto their ABA accreditation who would look down their nose at this place. And its not even just a matter of "prestige" (which means literally nothing outside the largest firms), it's a matter of practicality. As others have said, California with its wacky anti-establishment bar exam rules, has fostered an environment where anyone with enough capital to rent out a storefront in a strip mall can open a law school. There's more "lawyers" graduating California law schools than there are clients needing legal help. (well that's not entirely accurate, I guess I should qualify that by saying paying clients)

In short, your friend will only be worse off if he goes to Laverne and Shirley because he'll be in the same situation he is now after he graduates, only he'll have wasted 3 years of opportunities and have a $200K albatross of debt around his neck. Even worse, he'll now be "overqualified" for anything he applies for since law firms won't touch him, and he will resort to leaving his JD off his resume entirely and instead claiming he spent the last 3 years in a fugue state where he thought he was Mickey Rourke racing Winston Churchill around the world.

It really can't be put any more succinctly than that. These places are profit centers, they are specifically designed to trick people who think they're smarter than they are into paying for something that is essentially worthless. They manipulate statistics and data in very slimy ways and they are just bad bad bad.

I also noticed the "employment" pie chart for the school that was linked earlier displays categories such as "Family Law" and "Estates Law". What that tells me is almost all their graduates are self-employed solos doing what self-employed solos do (family law, estates, "employment/labor")... so your friend better be an entrepreneur on top of being a dipshit because that is the only way he'll be doing legal work with a degree from that place.

And if he's an entrepreneur he should just open a taco stand. But not in SoCal, too much competition. Maybe in Wyoming or something.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

the legal market has never actually changed since the 1930s: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/09/back-to-the-future-what-the-j-d-class-of-2011-can-learn-from-indian-law-students-in-1930/#more-38081

I actually can't tell if this is a joke or not

Mr Gentleman fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 1, 2010

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Rural Alaskan clerkship update part deux.

Here's a protip for all you future lawyers out there: If your state abides by Daylight Savings Time, then your State Standard Time may be one hour different than your State Daylight Savings Time, especially if your State is located in two timezones. Why is this important? Because failure to recognize this could lead to a malpractice lawsuit if you don't realize that laws come into effect at 12:01am of Standard time instead of Savings time. Dude successfully got his felony conviction overturned too, which is impressive.

I think that case wins for the most inane lawsuit ever by the way.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 1, 2010

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

Defleshed posted:

I also noticed the "employment" pie chart for the school that was linked earlier displays categories such as "Family Law" and "Estates Law". What that tells me is almost all their graduates are self-employed solos doing what self-employed solos do (family law, estates, "employment/labor")... so your friend better be an entrepreneur on top of being a dipshit because that is the only way he'll be doing legal work with a degree from that place.

And if he's an entrepreneur he should just open a taco stand. But not in SoCal, too much competition. Maybe in Wyoming or something.

Yeah, my friend really is a dipshit and all these posts washed over him (showed them to him), but I think a lot of it has to do with ingnorant cultural attitudes too.

He comes from an upper upper middle class family, drove an M3 during high school and college (UC Riverside), and generally partied his way through school, which probably explains why he's at La Verne as opposed to Yale or whatever.

His parents are both wildly successful lawyers, and he's indian. In indian culture, if you're not a doctor, lawyer, or engineer, you're loving worthless. God knows this guy isn't anywhere near qualified to handle living breathing human beings, so the doctor thing is out and given that he can't realize why going to law school is so lovely, he obviously doesn't have the mental capacity to handle engineering.

But I am sure this is just a product of his parents forcing him to do something that fits the traditional indian One-True-Path. I guess it's not so big of a deal because his parents are financing the entire gig and will still be able to afford law school (and BMWs) for his sisters after the fact.

Maybe I can take solace in the fact that he'll inherit his family's wealth but have no sense of accomplishment or satisfaction? Whatever though, at least I get to occasionally hang out and get driven around in an M3. What a life.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

BigHead posted:

Here's a protip for all you future lawyers out there: If your state abides by Daylight Savings Time, then your State Standard Time may be one hour different than your State Daylight Savings Time, especially if your State is located in two timezones. Why is this important? Because failure to recognize this could lead to a malpractice lawsuit if you don't realize that laws come into effect at 12:01am of Standard time instead of Savings time. Dude successfully got his felony conviction overturned too, which is impressive.

That's pretty amazing. Good (I guess) for him.

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003
Anyone have any recommendations for good Business Organizations/Corporations/Business Associations or Immigration supplements?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mr Gentleman posted:

the legal market has never actually changed since the 1930s: http://abovethelaw.com/2010/09/back-to-the-future-what-the-j-d-class-of-2011-can-learn-from-indian-law-students-in-1930/#more-38081

[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/dd3bf800aa327ca35adfe6465cd4ad5ed68e092f
replace entire OP with this image

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mr Gentleman posted:

replace entire OP with this image

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

BigHead posted:

That's not even the most inane suit in Alaska history: take some time and acquaint yourself with the work of the legendary Daniel DeNardo.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Totally Negro posted:

His parents are both wildly successful lawyers, and he's indian. In indian culture, if you're not a doctor, lawyer, or engineer, you're loving worthless. God knows this guy isn't anywhere near qualified to handle living breathing human beings, so the doctor thing is out and given that he can't realize why going to law school is so lovely, he obviously doesn't have the mental capacity to handle engineering.

If his parents will get him a job it doesn't really matter if he goes to a poo poo school.

He'll still hate his life though!

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
Passed the IL bar :unsmith:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Totally Negro posted:

If his parents are successful lawyers they should know that LaVerne sucks.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Lykourgos posted:

Good on ya. Go pursue the noblest calling of law so I do not have to.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

echopapa posted:

That's not even the most inane suit in Alaska history: take some time and acquaint yourself with the work of the legendary Daniel DeNardo.

Bar Association
Marxist-Leninist Kriminals imposing Kommunist Korporate feudalistic perpetual Usury servitudes destroying Common Law Republic. God-Man declared Satan attorneys' father: Eternal Punishment. Insane for Alaskans to allow continued existence.

Sounds sane enough to me.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BigHead posted:

*brings a professional negligence claim without expert witnesses as to the standard of care even after being warned by the judge against it*

*is a huge tool*

*appeals*

*still a huge tool*

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
gently caress all of you who get results before November.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Lykourgos posted:

Congrats buddy!

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
thanks for the congrats, everybody in the office passed it seems. One girl was crying so I figured she failed, but no, they were tears of relief.

SWATJester posted:

literally the first avatar/post combination I have appreciated.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

SWATJester posted:

Why do you all stay around after the bar?

I took the bar and the next weekend, I was in Sydney, NSW. I did two months in Australia and New Zealand. Didn'5t think about the bar. Got drunk. Did poo poo.
(Came back and still had to wait a month)
Yes, it costs money, but if you're $200k in debt, what's a few more grand?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

nm posted:

Why do you all stay around after the bar?

I took the bar and the next weekend, I was in Sydney, NSW. I did two months in Australia and New Zealand. Didn'5t think about the bar. Got drunk. Did poo poo.
(Came back and still had to wait a month)
Yes, it costs money, but if you're $200k in debt, what's a few more grand?

Some of us couldn't leave because we had to go to work. Even with the results in hand I am not going out, because I have bond court early tomorrow morning. Also :laffo: at sydney siders, wrong city mate do not pass go do not collect 200

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Lykourgos posted:

Some of us couldn't leave because we had to go to work. Even with the results in hand I am not going out, because I have bond court early tomorrow morning. Also :laffo: at sydney siders, wrong city mate do not pass go do not collect 200
That isn't the only place I went. It had a big airport though.

Work? Work is for the low classes. I pay someone to do my job for me.

edit:

Lykourgos posted:

Gotta say, I didn't recognise Miyamoto, and I'm afraid that he's pretty much the dunce of the lot. Let's not pretend that Mario is on the same level as Alone in the Dark, or Molyneux's Populous II. Miyamoto's creations are just childish, simple diversions that have no history or great moral worth. Really don't know why they ever considered pinning a medal to his chest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.

Stop posted:

Duke Priority Track?

Yup.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

BigHead posted:

Maybe Stewart can sue his current malpractice attorney for failing to put on expert testimony at trial even after being warned by the judge that such testimony was necessary for him to prevail. :q:

It could be the first meta-malpractice case in Alaskan history.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Defleshed posted:

Maybe in Wyoming or something.

Certain places in Wyoming actually have the taco thing nailed down. Laramie, for example, has like 8 Mexican food restaurants. There was a taco truck that used to be parked right off of campus selling tiny burritos at like $5 a pop.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
Ended up hanging out with some Temple Law 3Ls last night - like 20 of them. Not a single one of them had a job lined up. What was crazy was how A-okay they all were okay with this fact - like I mean generally positive, happy and optimistic that they would get a job after they graduated and passed the bar. No anger what so ever. A few didn't want to be lawyers and were all excited about moving into politics but didn't really have any plans on how to do that or seem to care that they'd just gone $50k+ into debt (Temple's actually pretty cheap for Pennsylvanians) for no reason.

It was ridiculous. Two people told me I was depressing because I couldn't stop badgering them about their lack of jobs and how it was you know, a bad thing. I am seriously incapable of hanging out with law students.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

HooKars posted:

Ended up hanging out with some Temple Law 3Ls last night - like 20 of them. Not a single one of them had a job lined up. What was crazy was how A-okay they all were okay with this fact - like I mean generally positive, happy and optimistic that they would get a job after they graduated and passed the bar. No anger what so ever. A few didn't want to be lawyers and were all excited about moving into politics but didn't really have any plans on how to do that or seem to care that they'd just gone $50k+ into debt (Temple's actually pretty cheap for Pennsylvanians) for no reason.

It was ridiculous. Two people told me I was depressing because I couldn't stop badgering them about their lack of jobs and how it was you know, a bad thing. I am seriously incapable of hanging out with law students.

My friend used to cheat on her boyfriend with a Temple 2L and said pretty much the same thing, their optimism seems to be both unfounded and immutable. There's probably something in the water (even more than what's usually in Philly water).

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

HooKars posted:

Well jeez they're out drinking what do you want them to do just mope around crying in their beer? Let people put on a brave face jesus.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

J Miracle posted:

Well jeez they're out drinking what do you want them to do just mope around crying in their beer? Let people put on a brave face jesus.

I don't know - I would have expected some sort of "Nah, tough market" or "Nope, gently caress the economy" from at least one or two people I talked to. But nobody seemed concerned in the slightest and it's not like they were avoiding the subject - they were happy to talk enthusiastically and optimistically about the jobs that they did not have but of course, would have after passing the bar or graduating and moving to DC or whatever (this is usually the part where I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut - having just been on the job hunt for a year and a half). It just seemed crazy to meet 10-20 3Ls, with no jobs but tons of smiles and hope.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
post your gooniest lawsuits here

43 Colo. App. 525; 608 P.2d 364; 1979 Colo. App. LEXIS 896

Hasen v. Hansen

lexis posted:

The child had been suspended from school for smoking and selling marijuana, and he subsequently quit school. His mother punished him for his suspension from school by requiring him to cut weeds in the backyard. His mother also sent him to a private school in Italy, where he remained for three months until he was expelled. He resided with his mother for short periods thereafter, and she conditioned further support on his either attending school or seeking employment. The child brought suit against the mother, claiming these actions and others constituted willful and wanton neglect and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The trial court granted summary judgment to the mother, and the court affirmed. It rejected the child's claim that there were genuine issues of fact as to the mother's conduct and state of mind and that conflicting inferences could be drawn about her state of mind.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onccb/doc/2004/2004canlii57381/2004canlii57381.html

quote:

The issue before the Board related to the patient’s capacity to manage his own property.

Mr. R. was a 40 year-old single gentleman diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome.

Dr. Ng explained the disorder ranged from mild to severe in patients and he was of the opinion Mr. R. suffered from a “barely discernible type” . The health practioner acknowledged that the patient’s “intellectual ability” was not specifically affected and there was no “automatic” correlation between the existence of the syndrome and incapacity to make financial decisions.

The evidence established Mr. R. had lent money in the past to a neighbour and co-workers. He lent $ 8,000.00 to the neighbour. This upset his mother as she believed her son had not received adequate proof of the loan.

Both patient’s mother and Ms. Phone were of the view Mr. R. had no sense of the need for or the value of money. Mr. R. had been unemployed for a number of years after his uncle’s business terminated and patient refused to apply for governmental assistance to which he was entitled. In the view of the health professionals and Mr. R’s mother this was because the patient:

➢ lacked insight into his disorder

➢ lacked insight his entitlement to such assistance

➢ was unable on his own to deal with the application procedure; and,

➢ was unwilling to seek anyone’s help.

In the opinion of the majority, Mr. R’s Asperger’s Syndrome left him quite disordered. He could not weigh the need for money nor how such need applied to him in his circumstances. He refused help in the process and would not consider applying for assistance to which he might be entitled.

For all of the above reasons, the majority of the Board ruled the attending physician had met the test of the legislation and Mr. H. R. was found incapable of managing his own property.

EDIT because searching for "asperger*" is a goldmine

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/2001/2001canlii24054/2001canlii24054.html

quote:

[3]Tracy Chan was 19 years old when, at 3:00 a.m. on March 7, 1997, she parked her car in the underground parking lot of her apartment building and began walking toward the elevator. The appellant, a security officer in the building’s garage, hit her on the head with a rock and began dragging her toward his office. She eluded his grasp and ran outside to a doughnut shop where she called the police. The police found the appellant sitting in his office, arrested him, and subsequently charged him with assault causing bodily harm and assault with a weapon. Ms. Chan suffered a minor abrasion on her head, which was treated with dressings, and a few days later she was symptom-free.

[4]A few weeks later another security guard in the building was cleaning out the office and found a duffel bag, which he turned over to the police. Among other things, the bag contained writings authored by the appellant which can only be described as horrific. These writings included “incident reports” on preprinted forms of the employer describing in the first person the disabling of a woman in the parking garage, taking her to the security office, raping and torturing her and killing her with a knife. Some of the accounts described cutting out the victim’s vagina and eating it after she is dead. Four of the accounts specified an Asian victim. One of them described going to the apartment number where Tracy Chan lives and dragging a Chinese woman down to the garage with the described above sequellae. The bag also contained knives, pieces of rope and black leather string. The above is only a partial description of the contents, sufficient to explain why, upon their discovery, the Crown issued a new information charging the appellant with attempted murder and aggravated sexual assault, along with the two original assault charges which were later withdrawn.

[32]Dr. Fedoroff is a forensic psychiatrist with a subspecialty in sexual paraphilias and an international reputation in that field. He diagnosed the appellant as suffering from Asperger’s Syndrome, a developmental delay syndrome, which Dr. Federoff has experience treating.

[33] In cross-examination Dr. Fedoroff testified:

Q. In terms of danger to the public, you feel there is a significant risk he may re-offend again in terms of violence against woman?

A. Without treatment, yes.

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 2, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't remember the name of the case but there was a case where a guy got in trouble for offering to hire "the best hooker in argentina" with company funds or something like that

I guess that's not goony but still kinda awesome

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

EDIT because searching for "asperger*" is a goldmine

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/2001/2001canlii24054/2001canlii24054.html

This is strangely appropriate from IRC today:

<@ian> Entertainment: 50 Cent DEFENDS Telling Men Who Don't Perform Oral Sex To Kill Themselves
<@ian> "If you a man and your over 25 and you don't eat pu**y just kill your self drat it. The world will be a better place. Lol," he tweeted on Thursday.
<Devoar> One day someone is going to be walking around backstage
<Devoar> and literally come into the green room and see Fitty Cent on the floor, blood smeared all over his mouth, literally eating a corpse from the vagina
<tau_> Sup duders
<HiddenReplaced> talking about fifty cent eating corpses

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

more IRC chats, post them

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Having just come from laughing at the guys in the E/N forum bitching about their roommmates and stuff rather than dealing with it like a normal person. this was funny to read

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Ugh that opinion format....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poop Faerie
Jun 22, 2009
I apologize if this kind of thing has been discussed before, I've looked through the FAQ and tried to scan the thread for stuff about this, but haven't really seen anything.

I've been thinking about going back to law school for a couple years now, and have decided to finally make the jump. I've taken the LSAT and did OK (166). I have a couple big questions.

I read in the FAQ that admission is very numbers-based, and I've kind of known that. I haven't really been able to find anything that outlines what time out of school will do to that. My undergrad grades weren't great (3.0 from Duke) but i've now been out of school for 4 years, 5 by the time i actually go back to school. My work experience is solid - promoted everywhere, work for a fortune 500 company and I'm now a corporate director with 3 teams reporting to me, a total of ~35 people. How much would you think my work experience will counter my GPA? I'll have solid work-based references, but as I"m looking at schools and looking at the numbers, I'm trying to realistically gauge where I'll get in.

My second thing is, as I'm writing my application essays, I of course want to tailor them to the specific school, but for some schools that are T1 but not well-known for anything in particular, what should I be working at highlighting as to why I want to go there? One school in particular (Southern Methodist) is a great school to go to if I'm staying in Dallas, which I'm OK with at least for a while, and I've seen the opportunities the school can offer through my wife (just finished, she was heading up law review, she's clerking at the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg right now and starts at a large corporate firm with a great salary in January - no I'm not basing expectations on this, I know the statistics on salaries, etc). I can talk specifically about the opportunities I've seen through her and her friends, but I want to keep it as much about me and the school itself as I can. How much should I look to talk about what I've seen through them, in terms of professor relationships, developmental opportunities, etc? What else is there to focus on if the school isn't stand-out for any specific field?

With no real diversity in my pocket (I'm white, I'm American though I did spend my entire pre-University life in Europe, I didn't have any economic hardship growing up), is it worth the extra money for me to make stabs at top 14? I was thinking about Duke just because I went there undergrad and have a strong family connection to the school (both my parents and both sisters went, but none to law school so nothing big), but is it worth the stab at something else?

Thanks for the guidance, and sorry for making GBS threads up the thread if none of this is relevant.