Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to motorize the tram from 8404 public transport with an RC motor. The IR receiver shouldn't be too hard to fit in somewhere, and I'm sure I could probably use a geared m-motor to drive the wheels if I don't feel like using the normal train motor, but jesus the battery packs are HUGE.

Those tiny wheels probably can't be motorized, at least not well, as they don't sit on a fixed axle like other train wheels. My idea was to add a wheel with a rubber tire to the middle of the thing and just motorize that. The little wheels keep the tram on the rails, and the rubber tire drags it along. This assumes the track your tram is on is like real tram track, where the space between the rails has been built up and has tiles on top, like on my club's street standard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Slashie posted:

Are you seriously complaining that a child does not play with his toys in a sufficiently impressive fashion?

Look, I'm not going to poo poo on this hobby, because I get the appeal and I love coming here to see people's massive creations, but I don't think you should forget that these are children's toys first and grownup hobby materials a far-distant second. Didn't most of you fall in love with this stuff when you were children? How would you have liked it if some manchild got all huffy about how you were just playing like a kid?

Look what model trains turned into. Do you want that to happen to Lego?

No, I think I'm complaining about the hype his parents give his output. Kids can be kids all day every day, no worries. Just don't expect me to think that they are the next Frank Lloyd Wright or Charlie Parker just because they can draw a house or bang on a piano.

My original question was: "DO YOU THINK THAT BIONICLE FETTERS CREATIVITY MORE THAN LEGO DOES?"

That's it.

The answer was yes...sort of...

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 1, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Those tiny wheels probably can't be motorized, at least not well, as they don't sit on a fixed axle like other train wheels. My idea was to add a wheel with a rubber tire to the middle of the thing and just motorize that. The little wheels keep the tram on the rails, and the rubber tire drags it along. This assumes the track your tram is on is like real tram track, where the space between the rails has been built up and has tiles on top, like on my club's street standard:

I was just going to use this:

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Indolent Bastard posted:

No, I think I'm complaining about the hype his parents give his output. Kids can be kids all day every day, no worries. Just don't expect me to think that they are the next Frank Lloyd Wright or Charlie Parker just because they can draw a house or bang on a piano.

My original question was: "DO YOU THINK THAT BIONICLE FETTERS CREATION MORE THAN LEGO DOES?"

That's it.

The answer was yes...sort of...

All parents do that, and many times an accomplishment may be impressive coming from a child even if it would be mediocre coming from an adult, because children are smaller people who don't have as many skills or life experience. Are you the guy who complains that parents put their children's drawings up by their desks at work even though you can draw Batman way better than that?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Slashie posted:

All parents do that, and many times an accomplishment may be impressive coming from a child even if it would be mediocre coming from an adult, because children are smaller people who don't have as many skills or life experience. Are you the guy who complains that parents put their children's drawings up by their desks at work even though you can draw Batman way better than that?

Good god no, fridge art is great. And encouraging kids is important.
And I know all parents love their own kids stuff I was simply asking:

"DO YOU THINK THAT BIONICLE FETTERS CREATION MORE THAN LEGO DOES?"

but a kid making things out something that doesn't require a great deal of creativity is pushing it.

Though admittedly the thread did show that bionicle isn't as restrictive as I thought it was initally.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Indolent Bastard posted:

Good god no, fridge art is great. And encouraging kids is important.
And I know all parents love their own kids stuff I was simply asking:

"DO YOU THINK THAT BIONICLE FETTERS CREATION MORE THAN LEGO DOES?"

but a kid making things out something that doesn't require a great deal of creativity is pushing it.

Though admittedly the thread did show that bionicle isn't as restrictive as I thought it was initally.

You're still judging a child's playtime. Don't, it's "CREEPY".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Slashie posted:

You're still judging a child's playtime. Don't, it's "CREEPY".

Actually it's called my university class in social research bleeding into normal life. So still creepy, but at least it's :eng101:-creepy.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 1, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Like so:

It's more of an engine car, but I can probably have it right in the middle of the tram and not look out of place

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

'Bionicle' and 'creativity' go hand in hand.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

InfinEight posted:

Disturbing.
I know I am glad that I don't have any of those pieces used to make the ears, because if I was out of clean silverware I would use them as spoons.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn
Jessica Rabbit bot?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is this piece in LDD? I can't find it in Universe mode.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

:stare:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ted Stevens posted:

Jessica Rabbit bot?

Probably just a Playboy Bunny -bot.

Shameless. Her gear's exposed.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Probably just a Playboy Bunny -bot.

Shameless. Her gear's exposed.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

It's probably ok for something as light as that tram, but those motors really suck. The new one that comes with the new trains is better.

e: I didn't realize you planned to replace the wheels the set comes with. My suggestion implied you didn't, I guess.

Shuppiluliumas fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 1, 2010

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

PacNW goons - Fred Meyer has the Lego City Advent Calendar in stock if you haven't grabbed one yet.

Still no Series 2 Minifigs :argh:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shuppiluliumas posted:

It's probably ok for something as light as that tram, but those motors really suck. The new one that comes with the new trains is better.

e: I didn't realize you planned to replace the wheels the set comes with. My suggestion implied you didn't, I guess.

I was probably going to get the new train motor with the integrated cable off bricklink

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Yay Christmas!

For those of you that were hoping this would come back, the Winter Toy Shop is back in stock (for a short time I assume).

http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=10199&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

This was a set put out by Lego last year around this time, and this year Lego just put out the Winter Bakery, so if you like to keep the theme, this is a good opportunity to grab the Toy Shop and stick it to all the eBay'ers selling them off for twice the price.

For reference, the bakery:
http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=10216&LangId=2057&ShipTo=US

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
How dick is it to flip lego on ebay, anyway, because it looks like there's a bunch of those winter sets moving each day.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

How dick is it to flip lego on ebay, anyway, because it looks like there's a bunch of those winter sets moving each day.

If your starting bid is MSRP or less, you can't be blamed if people keep bidding higher. When you see sets like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/LEGO-Coast-Guard-Truck-Speed-Boat-Set-7726-/320596152641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa5051141 for 3x MSRP, then the seller is just being a huge dick.

Also, dis is a lot of dark blue:

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

InfinEight posted:

If your starting bid is MSRP or less, you can't be blamed if people keep bidding higher. When you see sets like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/LEGO-Coast-Guard-Truck-Speed-Boat-Set-7726-/320596152641?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa5051141 for 3x MSRP, then the seller is just being a huge dick.

I gotta say, I wouldn't have thought "paper airplane" would be a good model for a SHIP, but drat if it doesn't ever work.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

InfinEight posted:

No, poo poo like this is the problem. http://www.ecrater.com/p/8102759/lego-10184-town-plan-very-rare . This is pretty much what everyone charges for this set. It was $99.99 in stores when it was around. Same markup BS with Cafe Corner.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

InfinEight posted:

I'm getting my end-of-year bonus soon and I'm tempted to invest like $1k in ebayable lego sets. Is this a bad idea?

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
I bought the Winter Toystore a couple of days ago, my second set in 10 years (excluding the minifigs). It never actually went out of stock here in the UK so I hope it screwed over scalpers.

It's real hard to resist the urge to buy as much Lego as I can and get all my old sets down out of the loft. I just wish I hadn't given my old 12V train stuff away, those old motorised points go for a lot now.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I'm getting my end-of-year bonus soon and I'm tempted to invest like $1k in ebayable lego sets. Is this a bad idea?

It's been talked about in the old thread I think, I can't remember what kind of profits others have gotten. Basically I think, unless you buy hot sets and sit on them until they're out of production, you won't make a lot of profit after the time invested, AND ebay/paypal fees. Green Grocer, Cafe Corner, stuff like that are just expensive enough that most won't pick them up on a whim in the store, making them more rare and desirable after their run is over.

But like the examples posted, if you try and sell them for 3x MSRP, you could be sitting on them for a long time. I've never been able to justify it, personally, since I'd rather just keep the sets for myself and the profits seem too slim to bother.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Well, let's review. A friend told me of a sale at a lovely little trinket chain called Tuesday Morning that was for a variety of Lego sets, many advertised large ones. I went there and battled many old ladies and many, many, many more old Korean ladies for what I could grab and afford, resulting in a haul for about 250 dollars or so consisting of two Batcaves, two of those electric helicopter sets, a creator dinosaur set, and a few other large sets, I had a picture but lost it. The Batcaves were 30 dollars each and there were stacks of them, but I did not buy them all sadly as I was low on funds.

This is what Batcaves regularly sell for on Ebay. Bricklink is similar or worse.
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=lego+7783+sealed&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_odkw=lego+batcave&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

So basically, for 60 dollars and taking up closet space, a year later I turned them around for almost a grand, bought the entirety of One Piece and still had over half a grand left over.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Capitalism, ho! :clint:

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Well, let's review. A friend told me of a sale at a lovely little trinket chain called Tuesday Morning that was for a variety of Lego sets, many advertised large ones. I went there and battled many old ladies and many, many, many more old Korean ladies for what I could grab and afford, resulting in a haul for about 250 dollars or so consisting of two Batcaves, two of those electric helicopter sets, a creator dinosaur set, and a few other large sets, I had a picture but lost it. The Batcaves were 30 dollars each and there were stacks of them, but I did not buy them all sadly as I was low on funds.

This is what Batcaves regularly sell for on Ebay. Bricklink is similar or worse.
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=lego+7783+sealed&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_odkw=lego+batcave&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

So basically, for 60 dollars and taking up closet space, a year later I turned them around for almost a grand, bought the entirety of One Piece and still had over half a grand left over.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Capitalism, ho! :clint:

Yeah, Tuesday Morning is basically the last link in the chain of discounted merchandise. First things seem to go to places like Marshalls and TJ Maxx. The Batman sets were kind of a unique circumstance, though. They didn't sell well at all when they came out, so places like Tuesday Morning got tons of them. One of the guys in my club has about a dozen of each set that he got for essentially 75-80% off. Then, for some reason, they became hugely popular, and are now worth a fortune. The problem, if you can call it that, is that Lego in general is selling much better these days, so stores like that don't get much anymore. Finding Lego at 75% is almost impossible now, especially large sets. Very occasionally Kmart or something will have one or two sets marked down like that.

How can you predict, though, what sets are going to jump in price like that? Licensed themes are probably the safest bet, but usually you're going to have to sit on them for a couple years to turn them around. Again, the Batman example was very unusual. Most other themes were popular during their run and after. On the other hand, if you want a faster turnaround, the exclusive sets may work out. Last Christmas, people were selling (selling, not just listing) Winter Toy Shops for over $90. Guys would go to the Lego store, buy them out at $60 a piece, and sell them the same week for $90. It's possible the Bakery will work like that this year. The Toy Shop is also reappearing in some Lego stores, so you might give that a go.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Why'd I read this loving thread? Now I feel that I need to start making some purchases, and construct a giant pirate fort under my bed where nobody can see me.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Finally built something I'm proud of.

Click here for the full 1237x1367 image.

Click here for the full 1072x712 image.

Click here for the full 1877x1193 image.

Click here for the full 712x672 image.

You can't see it, but those doors lead into the captain's room with the treasure. Opposite the doors is a drummer under the deck.

Click here for the full 1072x712 image.

Overall picture

Click here for the full 890x726 image.

I hate my job

Click here for the full 1287x889 image.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Are those Warhammer Ork flags being used as sails?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That guy does seem to make nice bionicle mocs.

Well, mostly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guzwar posted:

For a short time there actually was an orc Lego line, complete with big club-wielding trolls and suspiciously similar symbols.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Guzwar posted:

Here is the base set I used for sails and a frame: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=7048-1

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Does anyone want to buy/trade for a Lego 6211 Star Destroyer? I got one cheap off Brinklink a few years ago because it was missing the instructions, but I've replaced them with color print-outs from a PDF. I'd be interested in Space Police, Castle, Atlantis, and Star Wars I don't already have, or cash.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Dead thread is dead today. I've done more tweaking with my lightbox and I'm pretty happy with the results. As others have suggested, the key is more light! I started with compact fluorescent since they'd be lighter and cooler, but they weren't working for me, so I switched to halogens:

These are un-edited and after getting another worklight and trimming the sheet, I'm pretty pleased. Obviously I can't get rid of the shadows entirely (though if the object is on a stand it helps) but this setup responds to the camera and photoshop a lot better. The 4 lights give a lot better spread as well, with two vs four:

The best thing about this is I can take the whole thing apart when I don't need it, and I can even make a half-size version for smaller stuff if I want. Hopefully I can finally get my cargo ship photographed soon.

Also, this thing is drat cool- a giant sea plane in the old technic style. Looks like it has working everything.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 3, 2010

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

Also, this thing is drat cool- a giant sea plane in the old technic style. Looks like it has working everything.

Yeah, I saw the builder demonstrating with it earlier. Flaps extend and extract, props spin, ailerons and stabilizers connected to the control sticks in the cockpits...I got some pictures of the control lines, but I don't know how they turned out on my phone yet.

Vivick
Feb 24, 2007

InfinEight posted:

Thats pretty awesome, I think there was a official set of an all yellow technic plane similar to that a long time ago, but I can't find it. May be I'm just dreaming stuff up.

EDIT: Just noticed that you can see the round spaceship from that link on the last page in the background, its huge :aaa:!

The second one shown here:

Torael_7 posted:

These two ships are both huge and amazing. Especially the second one.

Vivick fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 3, 2010

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nannanz/5040580837/in/photostream/

Oh god. Oh god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

What the hell is that even made of!?