Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My friends and I like to make up titles for the next Indiana Jones movies.

Indiana Jones and "Where the Hell Are My Glasses
Indiana Jones and "Why Do People Drive So drat Fast All the Time"
Indiana Jones and The Enlarged Prostate
Indiana Jones and the Journey of Just Right Turns and Surface Roads

Ok, well, I don't have any friends, but I make them up to myself.

Indiana Jones and the AARP Discount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Indiana Jones and the Multimedia Empire

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Indiana Jones and the Mystery of Why He Still Has Tenure

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Indiana Jones and "What the hell is affirmative action anyways?"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Indiana Jones and the you said we wouldn't make another movie unless it was absolutely wonderful so as not to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth; Spielberg you oval office.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd rather watch an 80 year old Han Solo complain about his back and not notice when he farts than recast the character or let Shia LeBeouf touch the role.

This reminds me of a complaint I had with the FOTJ books. I'm not sure if this just started with these books, or how long they've been doing this, but what the hell is up with putting real world versions of things into the stories? It's extremely annoying to read about Jedi Mast Kenth Hamner and his cold cup of CAFF, or watching vestara read her datapad about a TEXT MESSAGE she got. I know things like refreshers and sanisteams or whatever have been pretty common but the way they mention coffee in these books makes me picture a Star(wars)bucks on every corner.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

This reminds me of a complaint I had with the FOTJ books. I'm not sure if this just started with these books, or how long they've been doing this, but what the hell is up with putting real world versions of things into the stories? It's extremely annoying to read about Jedi Mast Kenth Hamner and his cold cup of CAFF, or watching vestara read her datapad about a TEXT MESSAGE she got. I know things like refreshers and sanisteams or whatever have been pretty common but the way they mention coffee in these books makes me picture a Star(wars)bucks on every corner.
Caff has been around forever in the EU. Granted the text message is pretty dumb.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Huh, never noticed it before. Must be the way it's spoken about in the audio book. Seriously if anyone is considering reading FOTJ I suggest the audio books. This guy has a pretty wide range of voices, and they throw in music for some scenes as well. Makes the books more exciting/bearable.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Biplane posted:

Shia LeBouf as a young Han Solo would absolutely own and be amazing, what's wrong with you guys?

Reported for posting drunk/high.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Indiana Jones and the Lost...the Lost...GOD DAMMIT DORIS I COULD FIND IT IF YOU WOULD JUST STOP NAGGING FOR A MINUTE

Indiana Jones and the Large Bowl of Werther's Original

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 1, 2010

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

It's a message in text format. What's so terrible about that?

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Indiana Jones and the sex offenders register

quote:

Lucas also wanted to make Indiana Jones a pedophile who had sex with Marion when she was 12. That explains the line "I was a child. It was wrong and you knew it!" when Jones meets Marion in Nepal. Spielberg and Lawrence Kasdan had to talk Lucas out of providing too many details to the audience about their relationship.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3352674&pagenumber=3#post382705544

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
That explains the 8-year-old Anakin and 14-year-old Padme

Sperg Edit: I know I may have the ages wrong but you know what I mean.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
George Lucas what the gently caress.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Ok, George is a strange guy with a profoundly damaged view of romantic relationships but I think I'm gonna need a citation on that one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Ok, George is a strange guy with a profoundly damaged view of romantic relationships but I think I'm gonna need a citation on that one.

Lucas wouldn't be that crazy would he?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lucas wouldn't be that crazy would he?
Skywalker Ranch
Neverland Ranch

Same number of letters, both are ranches :tinfoil:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If anyone saw that Justin Lee Collins Reunion attempt on British TV, he was talking with Billy Dee and Billy recalled the scene with the Sarlacc in ROTJ and kept saying George Lucas was kinky.

That and the creepy rumours of him flirting with Fisher with ANH really is unsettling now.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

McGregor's Obi-Wan is one of the few things I like about the prequels. Sure, his dialogue was poo poo, but he had a lot of Sir Alec's mannerisms down pat.

McGregor's Obi-Wan, Liam Neeson's Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu in the book version of RotS are the only good parts of the prequels.

I'd rather watch my laser disc version of the OT then any 3-D version. :bang:

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

gohmak posted:

Greedo will not only shoot first in 3D, his blast will ricochete back and kill himself.

:smith:

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Captain von Trapp posted:

It's from the Raiders of the Lost Ark story conference.

http://mysterymanonfilm.blogspot.com/2009/03/raiders-story-conference.html

Lucas is really weird.

Wasn't Leia like 16 in the New Hope screenplay?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Aratoeldar posted:

I'd rather watch my laser disc version of the OT then any 3-D version. :bang:
I'd rather pull out my scratchy tapes.

One Last Time

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SeanBeansShako posted:

That and the creepy rumours of him flirting with Fisher with ANH really is unsettling now.

This doesn't even remotely surprise me.

Maybe I'm cynical, but frankly hearing that directors are sleeping with their starlets isn't surprising. I'm fairly certain the REAL reason Megan Fox got removed from Transformers is she stopping sleeping with Michael Bay.

This is a pretty common common thing, I mean even Star Trek had this. Roddenberry was a HUGE horndog and was actively sleeping with every female cast member. And this trend continued, do you guys remember Seven of Nine, the Star Trek babe? She was sleeping with the producer at the time.

Just how Hollywood works.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

I'm fairly certain the REAL reason Megan Fox got removed from Transformers is she stopping sleeping with Michael Bay.

I'm sure this is the only way she gets work. Michael Bay was probably just not worth it, screaming "AAAAND IT'S LIKE BRAAAAAAAH" during orgasms.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah if you want to whine about something like that, how about whining about "Battlesun Odyssey" or whatever the gently caress in LotF?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'm not sure what you're talking about, I didn't read LotF. I guess my problem might be based on the fact I'm hearing the words instead of reading them. The delivery sounds like there's an emphasis on the specific words that make them stand out to me.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about, I didn't read LotF. I guess my problem might be based on the fact I'm hearing the words instead of reading them. The delivery sounds like there's an emphasis on the specific words that make them stand out to me.

Pretty sure its supposed to be a Battlestar Galactica knockoff/insert/whatever. Or at least that's what I interpreted it as, leading to a massive "are you loving serious?" moment.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LOTF also had characters using fake curse words from both BSG and Farscape (frak, frell). Or Jacen/Caedus reusing quotes from Tony Blair speeches. Of course those only happened in books written by one of the three authors, I'm sure I don't have to say which one.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

LOTF also had characters using fake curse words from both BSG and Farscape (frak, frell). Or Jacen/Caedus reusing quotes from Tony Blair speeches. Of course those only happened in books written by one of the three authors, I'm sure I don't have to say which one.

Oh gross, please don't tell me Star Wars has even been tainted by him :(.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has it ever been established if humans in the Star Wars universe age slower or live a lot longer than real world humans?

The aging thing can be explained away with science or the magic of myth but I don't remember it ever being mentioned in the books. I'm really just curious because Han Solo looks like he's in his 40's on some of the newer books when he's in his early 70's. Same goes for Luke and the rest of the group. They really need to retire the characters, literally.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

How can this kind of poo poo get past any measure of review or quality control?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Has it ever been established if humans in the Star Wars universe age slower or live a lot longer than real world humans?

The aging thing can be explained away with science or the magic of myth but I don't remember it ever being mentioned in the books. I'm really just curious because Han Solo looks like he's in his 40's on some of the newer books when he's in his early 70's. Same goes for Luke and the rest of the group. They really need to retire the characters, literally.

Its probably more just bad book cover renditions. Also, yes they need to retire the characters.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Its probably more just bad book cover renditions. Also, yes they need to retire the characters.

The EU was in perfect position to retire the big 3 right after the NJO finished. By loving up that chance they are now perpetually stuck with finding themselves unable to retire them.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

I liked that they started making Luke look older because for the longest time he just looked like he did in the movies. They just did 20 years too late.

I kind of wish the fiction people would give a big send off, they should have done this at the end of NJO and then just focused on fleshing out Knights of the Old Republic era or Legacy comic era stuff. Then they wouldn't be able to write about how badass Boba Fett is so that will never happen.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

It is probably safe to say that while humans may not age more slowly, the vastly superior medical care available means everyone is generally in much better shape for far longer. I mean, Pellaeon was still going strong in his early 90s.

That (plus bad writing) just means we're stuck with all the old farts for that much longer though. :geno:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Basically, after they hit 40 in Star Wars years subtract 10-20 years to get their real world age.

Han is 70 in universe, 50 in ours. Luke is 60 in universe, 45+ in ours. Etc, etc.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Torael_7 posted:

It is probably safe to say that while humans may not age more slowly, the vastly superior medical care available means everyone is generally in much better shape for far longer. I mean, Pellaeon was still going strong in his early 90s.

That (plus bad writing) just means we're stuck with all the old farts for that much longer though. :geno:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Basically, after they hit 40 in Star Wars years subtract 10-20 years to get their real world age.

Han is 70 in universe, 50 in ours. Luke is 60 in universe, 45+ in ours. Etc, etc.

It really doesn't bother me that much. It's more of a just a "Really?" type deal. I think the stories would be a million times better if the characters had to deal with their age and the world they built collapsing around them. Instead they're still running around like it's the early post Endor years because a great deal of the Star Wars writers lack imagination.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The human aging thing has actually gone back and forth. In the really early EU (stuff like Marvel, the 80's WEG stuff, and even the Thrawn Trilogy and Truce at Bakura) it's assumed that advanced technology means that humans live far longer than they do today - there are a number of humans from then who are a century or two old.

Then when the EU got a bit more established under Bantam it basically became that SW humans aged the same as real-life humans, with characters like Mon Mothma dying from old age in their 70s for example.

Then as of a few years ago it's swung back around again, literally for the sole purpose of explaining how the Big Three could still be around and active. Denning was actually the one who reintroduced this retcon to justify how active Han and Leia were in his LOTF books with the typical Denning quote "In the GFFA 70 is the new 40"

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

Then when the EU got a bit more established under Bantam it basically became that SW humans aged the same as real-life humans, with characters like Mon Mothma dying from old age in their 70s for example.

There was that nano-machines thingy that the Caridan ambassador infected her with. Its not exactly outside the realm of imagination that it could have done enough damage, super medical technology aside, to have shortened her life expectancy?

(Why the gently caress am I devil's advocating this?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Torael_7 posted:

There was that nano-machines thingy that the Caridan ambassador infected her with. Its not exactly outside the realm of imagination that it could have done enough damage, super medical technology aside, to have shortened her life expectancy?

(Why the gently caress am I devil's advocating this?)

Didn't the Mon Calamari Jedi heal her though?