Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Neito posted:

Is there a long-running joke about halflings with pebbles I'm missing, or am I trying to read too deep into it?

If I remember correctly there's a scene in Lord of the Rings (Extended) where two halflings take out like half a dozen upgraded orcs by throwing small stones at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Halfling Skip-Rock thrower is one of the time honored character optimization builds, where a halfling with nonmagical, specially made rocks can do berzerker class damage at range to multiple targets with touch AC attacks against targets potentially around corners.

How does it measure up to the War Hulk/Hulking Hurler build that involves throwing a lead sphere that's seven feet in diameter?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

inthesto posted:

How does it measure up to the War Hulk/Hulking Hurler build that involves throwing a lead sphere that's seven feet in diameter?

Poorly, but the Hulking Hurler can hit anyone on a touch ac attack against 5 and destroy planets. You've set the bar a little high here.

Also, that was an iridium sphere.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Also, pebbles are abundant and portable in mass quantities.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Lord Commissar posted:

Also, pebbles are abundant and portable in mass quantities.

Well, if you're going to judge a build by how effective it is without enormous piles of magical geegaws, I guess wizard comes out on top. Exactly the same as with enormous piles of magical geegaws.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Renoistic posted:

If I remember correctly there's a scene in Lord of the Rings (Extended) where two halflings take out like half a dozen upgraded orcs by throwing small stones at them.

Yeah the whole halflings are great with slingstones/thrown rocks comes from Bilbo going to town on the giant spiders in The Hobbit. Although to be fair Tolkien put that in because he wanted a David vs. Goliath allusion.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
New Comic

Apparently that's Oliver J. Dragon, from Kukla, Fran and Ollie, a TV puppet show that ran from 1947 to 1957.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Now this video makes slightly more sense!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1avf8jlAsU

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Meh, if he wanted to make a pop culture reference he totally missed out on making a crescent fresh one.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Gassire posted:

Meh, if he wanted to make a pop culture reference he totally missed out on making a crescent fresh one.

Thats Ollie the dragon, from Kukla, Fran and Ollie. When we broadcast television in black and white it was popular. It ended in 1957, but when I was a little boy we saw reruns through the 1960s on one of the two television stations we could receive in the mountains. (Yeah, get off my lawn)

The two gladiators are OLD thats the joke.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Ze Pollack posted:

Word-lich: like a regular lich only his phylactery is a book which he keeps updated. Also he can edit himself via changing the wording of the book. Also he doesn't count as undead for purposes of turning/smiting/etc.

"Updated my Journal."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

New comic!

So many Sending gags.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Man. Chaotic chickpeas. Wait till breakfast. Lawful waffles.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

sansuki posted:

Man. Chaotic chickpeas. Wait till breakfast. Lawful waffles.

I'll get the tennis racket.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
:siren:Hey guys! New strip!:siren:

Now someone explain the joke to me?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

CapnAndy posted:

I think it's from first edition: Certain races/classes could only advance to a certain level before they could no longer gain experience. That was how they were balanced.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

:siren:Hey guys! New strip!:siren:

Roy knocked Belkar back so hard he went back to the D&D Basic Set(1977) rules.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

CapnAndy posted:

In 1st and 2nd edition, the longer lived races like Elf and Dwarf eventually experienced a limit cap on certain classes, like an Elf could only become, max, a level 12 wizard. This was to explain that the reason the entire universe isn't ruled by level 100 elderly elves is because they hit some inexplicable wall of knowledge and never move past it.

Humans didn't have this. Human supremacy.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

In 1st and 2nd edition, the longer lived races like Elf and Dwarf eventually experienced a limit cap on certain classes, like an Elf could only become, max, a level 12 wizard. This was to explain that the reason the entire universe isn't ruled by level 100 elderly elves is because they hit some inexplicable wall of knowledge and never move past it.

Rule Most Likely To Be Houseruled Away, in my experience. Doubling and then tripling XP required per level was popular.

Although I think at some point in the flood of 2nd Ed addon books, probably in the High Level Campaigns book, they decided that 30th level was the cap for everyone, even humans. That's just As Good As Ya Can Get.

Meanwhile publishing daily spell tables up to 32 in the Complete Wizard's Handbook. TSR.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Oh he stuck his tounge out! How rude!

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

crime fighting hog posted:

I believe in 1st edition basic the elf could only be the equivalent of a fighter/mage, and limited to level 9(?). Dual classes weren't invented then - you couldn't choose a race and a class, the class determined the race. 'Elf' and 'Halfling' WERE classes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Yeah, in Basic D&D, the fighter, cleric, mage, and thief classes were all automatically humans, and they could reach the 36th-level epic cap. Elves topped out at 12th, dwarfs at 10th, and halflings at 8th, or something like that, and if you wanted to improve beyond that there were some weird rules in the book.

At this point, we're talking about the 1977 rules and the old-school red D&D box with the Larry Elmore art all over it.

Jeet
Jul 12, 2001

Wanderer posted:

At this point, we're talking about the 1977 rules and the old-school red D&D box with the Larry Elmore art all over it.

Which if you haven't seen yet is out on the shelves again but with a cut-down version of 4th Edition in it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
:siren: Update! :siren:

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Is it just me, or does Haley look really oddly drawn in that last panel?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

IMJack posted:

:siren: Update! :siren:

I realize that this strip isn't technically the dictionary definition for Chaotic Good, but it really loving ought to be.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

CapnAndy posted:

I realize that this strip isn't technically the dictionary definition for Chaotic Good, but it really loving ought to be.

See, 4th edition? It's not that hard!

I wonder if future Mrs. Tarquin X has Mysterious Circumstance Insurance.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Looks like things are coming to a head. I've enjoyed the strip since they arrived at the city, but Haley and V action leave me all atwitter :allears:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I like how shocked "future Mrs Tarquin #10" looks when she exits the chamber and how fast she is actually running away when the General is busy talking to Elan.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

Nosy_G posted:

Is it just me, or does Haley look really oddly drawn in that last panel?

Unibrow.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
:siren:#750 Order Up:siren:

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
What is it that Durkon is trying w/ that scroll/parchment? Is that something related to Draketooth I dont remember?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Elan really does have the best dad ever.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

The Werle posted:

What is it that Durkon is trying w/ that scroll/parchment? Is that something related to Draketooth I dont remember?

I think he's editing down a sending to be the right amount of words.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Cliff Racer posted:

I think he's editing down a sending to be the right amount of words.

If you only follow Durkon in the very, very confusing left to right order he seems to ask the lizard cleric for advice on the spell after his first attempt, so I imagine it was something a bit more complicated than that.

Manyorcas fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 13, 2010

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I really like the (nearly) wordless strips like these.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Loving the Ball Pit of Death. :3:

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Man, I see one of two things happening with Durkon here, and both are depressing as hell.

1) He develops a true and deep friendship with this cleric, then realizes he has to kill him. It tears him apart.

2) He has a crisis of faith and does something seriously dick like V did a few arcs back. It tears him/others apart.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Manyorcas posted:

very, very confusing left to right order

Yeah, I didn't notice the sun at the top first dictating time. Probably should have had thicker vertical and thinner horizontal dividers or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This is a terribly messy layout. An interesting experiment, but let's not do it again eh?