Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Foxy posted:

1.) Health. Most of the cats we're looking at are over 5 years old and some have dental issues. The shelter will give us 2 years of discounted vet care, so money isn't a worry, nor is time invested in care, but how do I acclimate an adult cat to brushing its teeth without using treats and getting the teeth more dirty? Are there good dental health treats out there?

And yes, I will post a veritable Pakistan-sized flood of pictures.

I wound up with a relatively younger cat with dental issues, so you just never know.
Some one posted this recently
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/Brushing-Your-Cats-Teeth/Entire-Video to get cats used to brushing teeth, I haven't tried it yet, but it looks worth a shot.
I love Tuxedos, If you go with one you should start a tux picture thread. I'm sure some one with more experience than me will answer your other questions, good luck who ever you pick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Yeah I'd go to the vet. Any sudden changes like that are usually bad. I'm not sure what it could be, maybe impacted anal gland? Either way something's clearly bugging him so I'd get him to the vet.

Thanks Honda.

Just after I posted this, the kitty did a couple of little pees on the carpet, while making a really weird yowling crying sound. I rang the vet straight away, and they told us to bring him down immediately.

Turns out he has a urinary blockage because of crystals in his bladder - the poor bugger is in hospital for at least 3 days with a catheter, a drip and medication. Luckily we got him to the vet very early, so it is likely he will pull through - touch wood - but it can be potentially fatal. Poor Mister Chow!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

riichiee posted:

Thanks Honda.

Just after I posted this, the kitty did a couple of little pees on the carpet, while making a really weird yowling crying sound. I rang the vet straight away, and they told us to bring him down immediately.

Turns out he has a urinary blockage because of crystals in his bladder - the poor bugger is in hospital for at least 3 days with a catheter, a drip and medication. Luckily we got him to the vet very early, so it is likely he will pull through - touch wood - but it can be potentially fatal. Poor Mister Chow!

Poor kitty! :( Please let us know how it turns out, hopefully your quick action will give him a good chance of turning out OK.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

ChairmanMeow posted:

Some one posted this recently
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/Brushing-Your-Cats-Teeth/Entire-Video to get cats used to brushing teeth, I haven't tried it yet, but it looks worth a shot.

Yes! Exactly what I needed, thanks. :)

Emailed a rescue today about a deaf 8 year old tabby DLH mutt....we will see how this pans out.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Captain Foxy posted:

Emailed a rescue today about a deaf 8 year old tabby DLH mutt....we will see how this pans out.

Deaf cats are awesome.

PS Your avatar is awesome, I miss that show. :(

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007
Going from winter to summer, both my cats are moulting at the moment. I brush them daily but it isn't enough to keep up. Every day I come home from work and find the carpet covered in fur. As I vacuum it again, I can't suppress the thought that a more efficient way to do things would be to just vacuum the cats.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

...followed shortly thereafter by vacuuming your flesh off the carpet.

EDIT: where do you live that you're currently ENTERING summer?!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SunknLiner posted:

...followed shortly thereafter by vacuuming your flesh off the carpet.

EDIT: where do you live that you're currently ENTERING summer?!

...The entire southern hemisphere?

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

drunk asian neighbor posted:

...The entire southern hemisphere?

...yeah that was pretty stupid of me.

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
I found this little guy and his sister wandering the vacant, overgrown lot behind my house.

The tabby is very friendly and is eating, his black/white sister isn't coping so well. She won't leave the back of the carrier and won't eat at all. Any ideas on how I can at least get her to eat?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

wootmachine posted:

I found this little guy and his sister wandering the vacant, overgrown lot behind my house.

The tabby is very friendly and is eating, his black/white sister isn't coping so well. She won't leave the back of the carrier and won't eat at all. Any ideas on how I can at least get her to eat?

Take both cats to the vet asap. What are you trying to feed the other one? Get some really smelly wet food and try to get her to lick it off your fingers. If she doesn't eat, she WILL die very quickly.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 28, 2010

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
I've got the smelliest, wettest food I've ever been around. She just plain won't leave the back of the carrier. My wife found a friend at work that has raised cats like this, we're going to hand her off later this evening.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You put the food in the carrier and left it in a quiet place so far?

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
My wife just talked to the coworker that picked her up and I guess she just didn't like tuna, because she's chowing down on some turkey flavored food now.

This little tabby is a go-getter. I like his personality. Really chatty and curious, I never expected he would get comfortable so quickly.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

wootmachine posted:

My wife just talked to the coworker that picked her up and I guess she just didn't like tuna, because she's chowing down on some turkey flavored food now.

This little tabby is a go-getter. I like his personality. Really chatty and curious, I never expected he would get comfortable so quickly.

Yay she's eating! :dance: They should both still probably go to the vet but it's not quite so urgent obviously.

So you still have the little tabby? Is that because you are keeping him? ;)

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
Yeah, the Tabby is staying with me. If he's not on a shoulder or a lap, he's not happy.

Only questions now are what to name him, and how long it's going to take our Olde English Bulldogge puppy to get used to him.

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007
I've had my cat Gilly for awhile, and I'm trying to trim her claws. However, she hates being held at all, and especially gets uppity when you touch her paws. Is there any recommendation for a good cat bag or something else I can use to keep her restrained? I have been using other people, but they dislike helping out because they were of the opinion she should be declawed to begin with.

Picture:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Kitty burrito with a towel. :) Or, have you thought about softpaws? Your vet office can put them on your cat for you if you have too much trouble with it.

Also cute black cat club :respek:

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007
I've got softpaws, but the problem isn't her scratching, I just thought it was basic care to trim their nails. I'd like to avoid giong to the vet to take care of it because mine charged like $20 or $40 for it last time.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Nope, cats pretty much take care of their nails on their own. I assume you mean her back ones? You can leave them be, most people only bother trimming front nails anyway.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Burnings87 posted:

I've got softpaws, but the problem isn't her scratching, I just thought it was basic care to trim their nails. I'd like to avoid giong to the vet to take care of it because mine charged like $20 or $40 for it last time.

As long as she has some good tough stuff to scratch on she should be fine. I have seen lazy rear end in a top hat cats that don't scratch enough to keep their claws worn down but you'd probably know if your cat was that way.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Burnings87 posted:

I've had my cat Gilly for awhile, and I'm trying to trim her claws. However, she hates being held at all, and especially gets uppity when you touch her paws. Is there any recommendation for a good cat bag or something else I can use to keep her restrained? I have been using other people, but they dislike helping out because they were of the opinion she should be declawed to begin with.

Cat burrito is the general recommendation, but I'd recommend just trying to get her more comfortable with being handled over time (a loooooooong time, longer still since you've had her a while; you'll need to be persistent). I tend to trim back claws occasionally, since that can scratch up stuff when they do their "revvin' up" motions when getting ready to run off somewhere.

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007
Ya, she's been loving the rope on that scratching post, and at least when I'm there, she doesn't really work on anything else.

duckfarts posted:

Cat burrito is the general recommendation, but I'd recommend just trying to get her more comfortable with being handled over time (a loooooooong time, longer still since you've had her a while; you'll need to be persistent). I tend to trim back claws occasionally, since that can scratch up stuff when they do their "revvin' up" motions when getting ready to run off somewhere.

I've been trying. :( If I don't try to physically hold her, she'll jump on my shoulders or sit in my lap. But as soon as I grab her she gets all pushy to get away. She wasn't really a kitten when we found her in the truck, so I never knew if she had any training or was just a stray somewhere. Is there anything I can do to have her more comfortable with at least being held, so I can work on handling other parts?

waar
Sep 29, 2001
I've had cat allergies all my life. I'd come to homes with cats and after a few minutes would start getting puffy eye and runny nose. Now I have come in contact with a certain cat who I literally do not feel any negative reaction against. This is a short haired cat. Could it be that all my life prior I have only been chillin with long haired cats? Could it be I am not allergic to short hair cats? Or is there something possibly specific to this one cat that makes my body like her? Please advise, thank you.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

waar posted:

I've had cat allergies all my life. I'd come to homes with cats and after a few minutes would start getting puffy eye and runny nose. Now I have come in contact with a certain cat who I literally do not feel any negative reaction against. This is a short haired cat. Could it be that all my life prior I have only been chillin with long haired cats? Could it be I am not allergic to short hair cats? Or is there something possibly specific to this one cat that makes my body like her? Please advise, thank you.

How long has it been between this new cat and the old ones? If it's been awhile you might've outgrown it a little. Otherwise, it's not too common but stuff like this does happen. Cat allergies are generally a reaction to proteins in the saliva, dander, etc. rather than hair, so hair length isn't technically a factor. It's possible that her dander/proteins are just some version that doesn't bother you so much. Either way, it is clearly destiny that you be friends with this cat. :colbert:

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
A few questions about food.

I'm gonna cook some chicken for the cat and I, it's dark meat with skin and bones chicken breasts but I was going to just cut a few slices off it after its cooked and give it to him.

I know I should feed him any bones, but what about the skin?

How cold should it be before I let him at it?

What fruits and vegetables are okay for him to eat? I'm assuming things with low to no citrus (Apples, bananas, carrots, potatoes?).

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

A few questions about food.

I'm gonna cook some chicken for the cat and I, it's dark meat with skin and bones chicken breasts but I was going to just cut a few slices off it after its cooked and give it to him.

I know I should feed him any bones, but what about the skin?

How cold should it be before I let him at it?

What fruits and vegetables are okay for him to eat? I'm assuming things with low to no citrus (Apples, bananas, carrots, potatoes?).

Firstly, all this stuff is just being used as treats right? Chicken isn't bad for him but it's not nutritionally complete for a cat.

Anyway, cooked bones are bad like you said. I can't see why skin wouldn't be OK. You can give it to him when it's warm but he might not like it. As long as it's not boiling hot it should be fine.

As far as fruits and veggies, onions, garlic, avocado, green/unripe potatoes and tomatoes, grapes and raisins are the poisonous ones off the top of my head. Never give them or anything containing them. However you're probably going to have a hell of a time getting your cat interested in any fruits or veggies. v:shobon:v

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

HondaCivet posted:

Firstly, all this stuff is just being used as treats right? Chicken isn't bad for him but it's not nutritionally complete for a cat.

Anyway, cooked bones are bad like you said. I can't see why skin wouldn't be OK. You can give it to him when it's warm but he might not like it. As long as it's not boiling hot it should be fine.

As far as fruits and veggies, onions, garlic, avocado, green/unripe potatoes and tomatoes, grapes and raisins are the poisonous ones off the top of my head. Never give them or anything containing them. However you're probably going to have a hell of a time getting your cat interested in any fruits or veggies. v:shobon:v

Yeah just a treat, I'm making myself dinner right now and I was going to make him a little plate with some chicken, fruits and veggies. I heard some cats go apeshit for apples, so I want to try to give him some of that.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Yeah just a treat, I'm making myself dinner right now and I was going to make him a little plate with some chicken, fruits and veggies. I heard some cats go apeshit for apples, so I want to try to give him some of that.

Ha, really? Apples are fine as far as I know, it's weird that cats would like them. Now I wanna see if my cats like them too. They sorta liked cantaloupe for a bit but they got over that.

That reminds me, be careful with milk/dairy too. Adult cats are usually, like most adult animals, lactose intolerant, so it might make your cat not feel too good. They will drink it anyway of course because cats are dumb, but strictly speaking it's not usually good for them.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Oh god, I need some advice.

The landlady of the house I live in (I rent a room from her) is getting a 3 month old kitten tomorrow -- I got a text from her as I was leaving to work. Quick backstory: She had two cats. They both died a while back. She was planning on getting another cat eventually, adult... and this came out of the blue.

Problem is, neither of us are going to really be around during the weekday, and this kitten is going to be here all by himself with nobody to supervise, teach or entertain him. For reasons I hope are sound, I think this was an insanely bad idea. Landlady says it'll be fine and I should stop worrying.

- Am I just overreacting?
- If this was really a bad idea... since I'm stuck with it, what can I do to hopefully make the kitty's life bearable?

If it's really fine and I'm worrying for nothing, I'll just follow the PI kitten FAQ and get a couple things to entertain him when I'm around.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Try to talk her into 2.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Anaxite posted:

Oh god, I need some advice.

The landlady of the house I live in (I rent a room from her) is getting a 3 month old kitten tomorrow -- I got a text from her as I was leaving to work. Quick backstory: She had two cats. They both died a while back. She was planning on getting another cat eventually, adult... and this came out of the blue.

Problem is, neither of us are going to really be around during the weekday, and this kitten is going to be here all by himself with nobody to supervise, teach or entertain him. For reasons I hope are sound, I think this was an insanely bad idea. Landlady says it'll be fine and I should stop worrying.

- Am I just overreacting?
- If this was really a bad idea... since I'm stuck with it, what can I do to hopefully make the kitty's life bearable?

If it's really fine and I'm worrying for nothing, I'll just follow the PI kitten FAQ and get a couple things to entertain him when I'm around.
Honestly, it will be okay... but it will be much much better if she got 2 kittens. Like 1000+% better. But not the end of the world if there is only 1 poor kitten (as long as you are both patient, and attentive).

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yeah, two kittens would be much better and they aren't any more work than one. Heck, they are so good at entertaining each other that it'd probably be less work.

Also make sure the place is kitten-proofed really well since there won't be anyone around to keep an eye on them. This mainly revolves around putting away things that they shouldn't play with/chew on like hairbands, electrical cords, paper clips, etc. Make sure they have lots of real toys to play with instead. Prevent access to places you don't want them going. This includes desktops, shelves, sofas, etc.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Thanks for the responses. I'll calm down. :)

2 is not happening, sadly. I posed that idea and she kinda laughed and said "what, do I look crazy?" Yeah.

Meow Cadet posted:

Honestly, it will be okay... but it will be much much better if she got 2 kittens. Like 1000+% better. But not the end of the world if there is only 1 poor kitten (as long as you are both patient, and attentive).

I'll try to be patient and attentive, I'm worried she won't be as much. Her job leaves her stressed and worn out by the end of the day... not a good thing when you have a new bundle of fur around the place, which brings me to...

HondaCivet posted:

Also make sure the place is kitten-proofed really well since there won't be anyone around to keep an eye on them. This mainly revolves around putting away things that they shouldn't play with/chew on like hairbands, electrical cords, paper clips, etc. Make sure they have lots of real toys to play with instead. Prevent access to places you don't want them going. This includes desktops, shelves, sofas, etc.

This place is not at all kitten-proof. Cords can be dealt with by closing the door to the computer room (except ethernet across the house to my room), but there're books and various bits and scraps strewn around the floor. I'll certainly try my best, but there's no way she's going to be cleaning up all the junk in the household.

I'm also concerned since the last cats that were here developed cancer and diabetes, respectively, and it took more than a week for her to actually take the time to bring them to the vet to get them diagnosed. :( When nobody in the household has a car and finances suck...

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 1, 2010

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Burnings87 posted:

Ya, she's been loving the rope on that scratching post, and at least when I'm there, she doesn't really work on anything else.

I've been trying. :( If I don't try to physically hold her, she'll jump on my shoulders or sit in my lap. But as soon as I grab her she gets all pushy to get away. She wasn't really a kitten when we found her in the truck, so I never knew if she had any training or was just a stray somewhere. Is there anything I can do to have her more comfortable with at least being held, so I can work on handling other parts?
If she's not biting-you-violent when you try to handle her and she just tries to run away and such, what I do with my jerkier cat is pick her up and flip her over on her back(one hand cradling chest with 2nd/3rd fingers going around neck, thumb behind a front leg, other hand supporting the back as you flip the cat), lay her down between my legs(oooo dirty, but it prevents the cat in one place and from rolling/running off) back down and belly facing up; this is normally how I trim my cats' nails(and win kitty MMA fights). What I do is pretty much force her to stay there(keep bringing her back if she tries to run away) until I tap her twice to let her know she can go. I'd do this for short periods of time at first, then gradually kept her there longer and longer until I got to the point where I could trim her nails without her growling too much at me. You can give her a treat before/after too and maybe that will help(my cats aren't big on treats, oddly). Also, if your cat gets too feisty, let her go and try again later. Just keep trying, basically.

If your cat's too bite-happy or gets crazy angry at being held at all, then this might be too difficult, and you might be relegated to burritos and vets. Your cat seems to not mind being around you though(up on your lap), so you should prooooobably be able to do this.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Anaxite posted:

Thanks for the responses. I'll calm down. :)

2 is not happening, sadly. I posed that idea and she kinda laughed and said "what, do I look crazy?" Yeah.

I'll try to be patient and attentive, I'm worried she won't be as much. Her job leaves her stressed and worn out by the end of the day... not a good thing when you have a new bundle of fur around the place, which brings me to...

This place is not at all kitten-proof. Cords can be dealt with by closing the door to the computer room (except ethernet across the house to my room), but there're books and various bits and scraps strewn around the floor. I'll certainly try my best, but there's no way she's going to be cleaning up all the junk in the household.

I'm also concerned since the last cats that were here developed cancer and diabetes, respectively, and it took more than a week for her to actually take the time to bring them to the vet to get them diagnosed. :( When nobody in the household has a car and finances suck...

Maybe you could try explaining to her how 2 would be less stressful than 1? Why does she even want a kitten if she's strung out all the time anyway? I'm guessing she's never had to deal with one before? Maybe you can convince her to get an older cat if she wants a single cat? If she just wants a CUTE WIDDLE KITTEH and isn't going to really think things through then there isn't much you can do I guess.

Some junk laying around is OK, it just might take some time for it to be apparent what naughty things the cat likes to get into. My cats mostly ignore cords but love small things like hairbands, twisty ties, etc. so I have to put those away right away or they'll get them. We didn't figure this out until they'd puked up several hairbands and bits of ribbon of course. I'm just happy nothing worse happened. Sometimes people get unlucky and they have to come home to their cat strangled in a curtain cord and poo poo like that. :\

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Well, I'll keep trying to convince her. Least I can do.

In the meantime... time to get a laser pointer, and thanks for the suggestions.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Welp, meet Pearlpanda (with someone not me)

3-month old female kitten, mellow as heck. Maybe she's just apprehensive, but she certainly doesn't hate being held. And apparently, within the first hour of arriving here, she already figured out the litter box. One crisis averted! I'm also told she started doing some hiding behind the furniture in the bit she's explored, so it's time to get some cardboard boxes for her!

She maybe already responds to catnip, as she also came with a mouse toy. It's time to get me some :catdrugs: and help her feel welcome!

She's got mites, but nothing else; she'll also need to get spayed. Yeah, it's not my cat, but she's drat cute and I'm in this household too. This may end up being okay.

Edit: Aaaaaand 45 minutes later, the kitty ADD and energy kicks in. Mellow? Yeah right.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 2, 2010

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007

duckfarts posted:

If she's not biting-you-violent when you try to handle her and she just tries to run away and such, what I do with my jerkier cat is pick her up and flip her over on her back(one hand cradling chest with 2nd/3rd fingers going around neck, thumb behind a front leg, other hand supporting the back as you flip the cat), lay her down between my legs(oooo dirty, but it prevents the cat in one place and from rolling/running off) back down and belly facing up; this is normally how I trim my cats' nails(and win kitty MMA fights). What I do is pretty much force her to stay there(keep bringing her back if she tries to run away) until I tap her twice to let her know she can go. I'd do this for short periods of time at first, then gradually kept her there longer and longer until I got to the point where I could trim her nails without her growling too much at me. You can give her a treat before/after too and maybe that will help(my cats aren't big on treats, oddly). Also, if your cat gets too feisty, let her go and try again later. Just keep trying, basically.

If your cat's too bite-happy or gets crazy angry at being held at all, then this might be too difficult, and you might be relegated to burritos and vets. Your cat seems to not mind being around you though(up on your lap), so you should prooooobably be able to do this.

Yea, she isn't too bad, as long as it's on her terms when to be cuddly or not. I just tried doing this, except I didn't hold her in my lap, just held her like a baby for a bit. After half a minute she was already struggling to get out. Looks like it's going to be daily fights for awhile now. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
We haven't adopted a new kitty yet, so here have some pictures of my two morons!

Today we let them outside for a (heavily supervised) tour of our backyard. They're getting fat and lazy indoors, and being outside is a treat for them, so we'll keep it up as long as the two idiots don't wise up and realize they can easily jump up the wall.

Tillie was ecstatic.

She couldn't shut up about it.

Thomas wasn't so sure..

But then he discovered the jingle ball.

And Tillie was there for moral support.

Tom eventually discovered warm concrete, which he also enjoyed.

DO NOT EAT PAINTCHIPS YOU IDIOT :argh:

:3:

All in all, a grand adventure.