Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unclemuscles
Mar 10, 2008
Do companies really pay for Blood Plasma? If so has anyone done this in Southern CA, and where? Also how do they do it? I understand they take your blood but I want to know how they separate blood from plasma and return it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

unclemuscles posted:

Do companies really pay for Blood Plasma? If so has anyone done this in Southern CA, and where? Also how do they do it? I understand they take your blood but I want to know how they separate blood from plasma and return it to you.

A lot of places buy plasma, but they don't really pay much. Back in college I used to get $25 per visit with some occasional promotion bonuses thrown in and I could do it twice per week. It's been a while, and I seem to remember hearing that the payments have actually gone down on average. I'm not in California though, so your mileage may vary.

The process is simple; they stick a big needle in the crook of your arm and suck out a bunch of blood. The blood goes to a machine that spins it in a centrifuge to separate the plasma from the blood, and then the machine pumps the (cold) blood back into your body. This process repeats four or five times and then you're done and free to partake of free cookies and punch. Whole process takes about an hour after your first visit, which will take about four including a medical exam.

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

How does a temp agency work? I go in, give them my info, and they find me a job. Then what? Do I have to pay them? Am I still connected to the agency in some way? How long do these jobs tend to last?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

wheres my arm posted:

I go in, give them my info, and they find me a job.

Sort of.

wheres my arm posted:

Then what? Do I have to pay them?

The company pays the agency, your agency pays you a bit less.

wheres my arm posted:

Am I still connected to the agency in some way?

Well, you work for them.

wheres my arm posted:

How long do these jobs tend to last?

Sometimes days, sometimes months. Occasionally longer.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Companies pay the temp agency to send you out to work for them. So you get paid by the agency and the agency gets paid by the company you're working for. I think a lot of places have some kind of clause that if the company wants to hire you directly after you've temped for them, they have to pay the agency a bunch of money. It sucks because the amount they're paying for your work is way higher than the amount you're actually getting paid.

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

Very helpful, thanks to both of you.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Unless you're in desperate need of work, I would recommend not relying on temp agencies. Use them, but don't rely on them.

Keep looking for work if you're a temp.

Often, the funds come out of your paycheck. It depends on the arrangement.

Also, do your damndest to not fail interviews. If you fail a couple times, the temp agency starts to "forget" about you and considers you unhirable.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Kobalt posted:

Also, do your damndest to not fail interviews. If you fail a couple times, the temp agency starts to "forget" about you and considers you unhirable.

Beacuse I don't know anything about temp agencies, I am not sure what to ask, but can you explain that?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Gravity Pike posted:

It's logitech, but I've had these for the past five or six years, and I've had no complaints. Probably not the highest quality sound, but the mic's decent quality and they're not uncomfortable.

Edit: Maybe I just got lucky, though, because the reviews on Amazon put this down as a cheap piece of crap. :iiam:

Hey, I just got these in the mail and used them for about an hour. I used to put the audio+mic jacks in the front panel of my computer, but I tried out the USB adapter in the back and now there's no static or buzzing and the microphone sounds great. May not be the headset and just due to USB, but I'm happy so far. They don't feel terrible or anything. I can't believe you've had them for 5+ years though.

I'm just going to be careful handling them because of all the negative reviews.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I never had interviews with companies when I used to work for temp agencies. The temp agency sort of screens you and if they think you can make them money (i.e. you have a pulse, pretty much), they'll send you out on assignments. If you don't perform well on assignments, I can definitely see them not offering you anymore.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

kapalama posted:

Beacuse I don't know anything about temp agencies, I am not sure what to ask, but can you explain that?

If you do badly at interviews it reflects on the temp agency since they were the ones who sent you there in the first place. Companies do not want to do business with temp agencies who send bad applicants.

That said, like TheAngryDrunk I have never been on an interview through a temp agency, I've always started work straight away.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I'm pretty sure you don't interview for the positions a temp agency sends you to. That's the advantage of hiring a temporary worker. If the company was going to go through the whole process of screening applicants and everything, they would just do it themselves and pay the $9/hour, rather than pay $12-15 an hour or whatever for $9 an hour worth of work.

I think you guys are talking about another kind of agency.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Eyeball posted:

I'm pretty sure you don't interview for the positions a temp agency sends you to. That's the advantage of hiring a temporary worker. If the company was going to go through the whole process of screening applicants and everything, they would just do it themselves and pay the $9/hour, rather than pay $12-15 an hour or whatever for $9 an hour worth of work.

I guess this is what I am thinking. An employment agency would send you for interviews, a temp agancy would send pre-screened workers stright for work.

I know nothing about either but I guess that's why temp agency and interview don't work in my head.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

I am watching a bunch of historical documentaries for school, and this is just jumping out at me.

Why do all these period pieces make every character speak with a 'Received Pronunciation' English accent, when they are in Germany, France, etc.? (Or for that matter even when they are British?)

Is this all just part of the 'Americans think smart people speak with a British accent' thing? Are all the actors in documentaries actually British?

kapalama fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 1, 2010

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 7, 2013

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Is the word 'capping' for grabbing sports broadcast for later posting with torrents an abbreviation for 'capturing'?

(Thanks).

kapalama fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 1, 2010

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

kapalama posted:

Is the word 'capping' for grabbing sports broadcast for later posting with torrents an abbreviation for 'capturing'?

Yes

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

There's a term I'm thinking of that means non-verbal communication, meaning conveyed through body language. It's not kinesics, gesticulation or gestures and I think it refers specifically to the notion of language that isn't spoken. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

put on your adventure helmet, it's time for an adventure!
Um, so now I need to come up with a really good anniversary gift. Any ideas? I'm already planning for one of his fave dinners, but other than that I'm lost.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

melaneyelia posted:

Um, so now I need to come up with a really good anniversary gift. Any ideas? I'm already planning for one of his fave dinners, but other than that I'm lost.

Just check out uncrate.com there is plenty of awesome stuff on there that would make any modern gentleman happy.

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

Just check out uncrate.com there is plenty of awesome stuff on there that would make any modern gentleman happy.

No, it's today. I'm thinking of a treasure hunt or something, but i don't have any treasures.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Anjow posted:

There's a term I'm thinking of that means non-verbal communication, meaning conveyed through body language. It's not kinesics, gesticulation or gestures and I think it refers specifically to the notion of language that isn't spoken. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Whilst continuing my search for an answer, I found out that the word I was after was paralinguistics.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

melaneyelia posted:

No, it's today. I'm thinking of a treasure hunt or something, but i don't have any treasures.

No woman (Assuming you are a woman) can ever understand just how silly this statement sounds to male ears.

melaneyelia
Apr 4, 2006

kapalama posted:

No woman (Assuming you are a woman) can ever understand just how silly this statement sounds to male ears.

Well yes ok besides that, which is certainly on the plate. Or wherever is the appropriate place for it to be.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Eyeball posted:

No, I worked for Reed temping and if the temporary position is for a certain amount of time and isn't super urgent, then you might get sent for an interview. I had one with a hospital and one with a private company. When I was hired for a different role at a hospital, even though it was ongoing, it was so urgent that they didn't interview us.

Basically you sign up with an agency and every week you have to tell them if you're available to work and they'll try and find you something. Some also offer skills workshops where you can brush up on your office skills such as using Excel or touch typing.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Anjow posted:

Whilst continuing my search for an answer, I found out that the word I was after was paralinguistics.

Sort of related to that are muscular micro-expressions or some such term. I remember reading an article about a US sheriff with an uncannily high success rate in picking out guilty suspects. I think they tested him on a broad range of non-vocal, or rather non-vocabular abilities, and the outcome was that he had both an eye for those micro-expressions and an ear for faint tonal variations. Interesting stuff.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Underflow posted:

Sort of related to that are muscular micro-expressions or some such term. I remember reading an article about a US sheriff with an uncannily high success rate in picking out guilty suspects. I think they tested him on a broad range of non-vocal, or rather non-vocabular abilities, and the outcome was that he had both an eye for those micro-expressions and an ear for faint tonal variations. Interesting stuff.

See also the TV show Lie To Me.

One of my friends claims to be able to do this, but we haven't really tested it.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Why do older cartoons highlight whatever item on screen that's about to be interacted with? You can tell right away since it looks out of place. I'm assuming it has something to do with the animation process, but I don't know the details. Like for example, if there was a boulder that was going to explode and a bunch of other boulders were not, then that one would stand out.

alan negative
Aug 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Dudebro posted:

Why do older cartoons highlight whatever item on screen that's about to be interacted with? You can tell right away since it looks out of place. I'm assuming it has something to do with the animation process, but I don't know the details. Like for example, if there was a boulder that was going to explode and a bunch of other boulders were not, then that one would stand out.

like a trap door in scooby-doo?

animations back then were done with static backgrounds, with clear painted cels over them for any characters or objects that needed to move. the cels would be the only things animated and as such, would look slightly different and have a slightly different shade.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Dudebro posted:

To save on animation budget and time, they'd try to do as much as possible on the same background. If things needed to be animated, they'd have to draw on the animated background and hence it would look different.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Living in the U.S., going to Ireland in a month. I know the voltage and wall sockets are different and so I'll need some adapters, but how exactly does it work? If I buy one adapter, can I bring an (American) power strip along and plug that in, letting me plug in a bunch of American devices?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

jackpot posted:

Living in the U.S., going to Ireland in a month. I know the voltage and wall sockets are different and so I'll need some adapters, but how exactly does it work? If I buy one adapter, can I bring an (American) power strip along and plug that in, letting me plug in a bunch of American devices?

It depends on if you need a transformer or just a plug adapter. You need a transformer for a device that only accepts 120v input and an adapter for a device that accepts 110-250v which a lot of newer electronic devices do. All electronic devices in the US have a tag that shows the required input voltage and amperage.

If you need a transformer you will have to get one that has the load capacity for the amount of devices you are connecting. Again the "UL" label will specify the maximum amperage for each device that you can add together to come up with a good floor to work from when buying a transformer.

Unless you have hair dryers and that kind of thing you probably only need a plug adapter and most decent hotels offer a ~120v outlet, although it's usually in the bathroom and fused for a few amps.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've recently been re-enjoying the Weekend Web Flash anims. And I was wondering if there is a similar site that animates/voices forum posts of a similar ilk?

They truly are more hilarious the more times you watch them, it's a real shame that there aren't many more of them.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Let's say my friend's cell number is (613)555-1234. I know that if I send an email to 6135551234@vmobile.ca, it will appear on her Virgin Mobile phone as a text message. If I wanted to send an email to someone's Rogers phone as a message, what would I put after the @? Would it be 6135556789@rogers.com?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Drimble Wedge posted:

Let's say my friend's cell number is (613)555-1234. I know that if I send an email to 6135551234@vmobile.ca, it will appear on her Virgin Mobile phone as a text message. If I wanted to send an email to someone's Rogers phone as a message, what would I put after the @? Would it be 6135556789@rogers.com?

According to this site it's 10digitphonenumber@pcs.rogers.com

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Fire In The Disco posted:

According to this site it's 10digitphonenumber@pcs.rogers.com

You want to be careful to watch the message length when you're doing this. I've been working with this at work as an el-cheapo automated notification system, and a lot of the time, messages will not go out, or will arrive blank if there are more than 160 characters total, including the subject line. Some carriers stick FRM: <your email> SBJ: <subject line> at the top of the message, and count this towards that limit. I've never dealt with Rogers (they're outside of the US?), so you'll have to play around with this to see exactly what their deal is.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Yes, they're in Canada. Thanks to both of you for your replies. :)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

This was a bit difficult to do a search for and I'm having trouble finding a concrete answer. If a voter does not vote on every issue on a ballot, is it counted any differently than a fully completed ballot?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

dantheman650 posted:

This was a bit difficult to do a search for and I'm having trouble finding a concrete answer. If a voter does not vote on every issue on a ballot, is it counted any differently than a fully completed ballot?
Nope. Your vote is recorded on the items you where you entered a vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is the actual term for top-down learning? I mean taking a large completed project and deconstructing it to learn how the elements work together, like taking an engine apart to see how it works. The opposite would be learning elementary concepts and slowly learning to put them together.