Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Speaking of Kodachrome, how old is too old? If it expired in the 80's should I avoid it? ISO 25 seems to be the better one to buy in terms of color from what I can tell. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

non-expired 64 is probably going to be nice.

Dads
Dec 14, 2007

Delta 400 pushed 1 stop, developed in 1+1 D-76

Still trying to figure out what is up with these light leaks

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Dads posted:

Is that 120? You might not have sealed the roll up tight enough between taking it out of the camera and developing it.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

Dads posted:

Honestly they look kind of amazing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Dads posted:

That goat owns. It is a proto-goat.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
I turned 26 today and picked up a Yashica Electro 35 GSN as a birthday present to myself. It's in beautiful condition.

It's a rangefinder with a fixed 45mm f/1.7 lens that, from what I understand, is pretty drat sharp. It only shoots in Aperture Priority but it seems to have a pretty accurate light meter. Shutter speeds range from 30s - 1/500s and it seems to be pretty drat accurate. For $50 I'm very pleased.

I'm probably going to get another FED with a lightmeter at some point down the line but after that I'll probably be done with buying old rangefinders for a while.

Here's a few shots I took with it yesterday.

Neopan 400 scanned with a Canoscan 8400F (I desperately need a better scanner or a darkroom to do prints.)

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

How did you handle the battery situation for that? My aunt let me use hers a few months ago 'cause she hadn't used it in probably a decade and I ended up having to use a spring and a battery wrapped in cardboard to get the thing to light up. Probably not optimal but it worked!

I thought it took nice pictures though, this was my favorite, only did one roll. :(

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

ZoCrowes posted:

I turned 26 today and picked up a Yashica Electro 35 GSN as a birthday present to myself. It's in beautiful condition.

Sup new Yashica rangefinder buddy? That looks to be in great shape. I absolutely love walking around with such a small camera. :cool::respek::clint:

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

East Lake posted:

How did you handle the battery situation for that? My aunt let me use hers a few months ago 'cause she hadn't used it in probably a decade and I ended up having to use a spring and a battery wrapped in cardboard to get the thing to light up. Probably not optimal but it worked!

I thought it took nice pictures though, this was my favorite, only did one roll. :(

That's exactly how I handled it as well. I just used foam, a spring and a battery I picked up at Radioshack. Seems to have worked pretty well.

McMadCow Yeah it definitely beats hauling around an SLR. I'm really looking forward to taking it to Chicago with me this weekend. I've been wanting to do a photo-ethnography study for a while now and I think this is going to be my camera for it.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

ZoCrowes, were you the one who was doing photos around america on 35 mm?

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

I recently asked my father if I could borrow his Rolleiflex and that I would protect it with my life. He told me some story about his father, involving international business deals, and a German ship owner who gave my grandfather a Rolleiflex as a gift. Then my father spoke about how he acquired a Rolleiflex from someone who had one, couldn't figure out how to use it, but felt it would be a reasonable exchange for one of my fathers prints. Then he explained that I would be the third generation with a Rolleiflex, and gave me his to keep.

Now that I have a scanner that can take 120 film, I am going to start shooting with it all the time.

Unfortunately, it needs to be aligned. The focusing element is off, so it causes this darker stripe on the side that expands and contracts depending on the focus distance.

Delta 400

Anyone who has ever been to/lives in Chicago will notice Central Camera in the corner. That place has been around for 111 years!

SFX 200

I really need to get better about developing in a cleaner environment. I also need to keep vacuuming a lot more.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Ballistic Photon posted:

Delta 400

Anyone who has ever been to/lives in Chicago will notice Central Camera in the corner. That place has been around for 111 years!

That's a pretty badass story actually.

Central Camera is actually about three blocks from my apartment in Chicago. They are bit on the overpriced side but they will occasionally have weird old lenses and cameras that nobody else has.

guidoanselmi - Not me but it does sound like something I would like to do.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

If you do find yourself in Chicago, a trip to Central is worth your while. Be aware it may be expensive. But it's only money, right?

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

a charlie come a charlie come a bubble gum
I'm going to a carnival/fair next weekend but have no experience shooting night time shots on film. Can anyone reccomend me a film I should be using to take pictures in such an environment at night (without a flash). I'm aware that a lot of people shoot up to 1600/3200, would these sort of ISO's work for me at night? Also I would like to shoot in colour if that helps!

Charlie Bubblegum fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 1, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Ballistic Photon posted:

I recently asked my father if I could borrow his Rolleiflex and that I would protect it with my life. He told me some story about his father, involving international business deals, and a German ship owner who gave my grandfather a Rolleiflex as a gift. Then my father spoke about how he acquired a Rolleiflex from someone who had one, couldn't figure out how to use it, but felt it would be a reasonable exchange for one of my fathers prints. Then he explained that I would be the third generation with a Rolleiflex, and gave me his to keep.

Now that I have a scanner that can take 120 film, I am going to start shooting with it all the time.

Unfortunately, it needs to be aligned. The focusing element is off, so it causes this darker stripe on the side that expands and contracts depending on the focus distance.

Delta 400

Man, Chicago's such a badass city.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Charlie Bubblegum posted:

I'm going to a carnival/fair next weekend but have no experience shooting night time shots on film. Can anyone reccomend me a film I should be using to take pictures in such an environment at night (without a flash). I'm aware that a lot of people shoot up to 1600/3200, would these sort of ISO's work for me at night? Also I would like to shoot in colour if that helps!

Fuji Superia 1600 is pretty decent for a fast color negative.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Man, Chicago's such a badass city.

I like to think that I'm actually in Gotham City when I'm there. I'm only living there on weekends right now and I'm desperately ready to be there full time. Just waiting to hear back on some jobs.

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

a charlie come a charlie come a bubble gum

VoodooXT posted:

Fuji Superia 1600 is pretty decent for a fast color negative.

Thats cool I've seen some okay prices for that too so I'll get a couple of rolls. What do you do about light metering at night? Is it best just to set it to over expose? I only use the in built light meter on my Fujica STX-1 and I've never shot night before :)

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

ZoCrowes posted:

I have a GSN as well. You'll love it. They take great photos.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Charlie Bubblegum posted:

Thats cool I've seen some okay prices for that too so I'll get a couple of rolls. What do you do about light metering at night? Is it best just to set it to over expose? I only use the in built light meter on my Fujica STX-1 and I've never shot night before :)

I usually just set it to 1600 and use center weighted average. Seems to work alright for me.

EDIT:

Just read a little bit more about your camera, and from what I gather, it averages out the light in the lens. In your case, I'd probably recommend that if you're gonna have it at box speed, overexposure your shot by 2/3 or 1 stop if most of your scene is dark.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 2, 2010

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Selling some film equipment to make room for a baby on the way:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&pagenumber=22#post382755018

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I found an unused roll of Kodak Technical Pan in a box in my kitchen yesterday. I'd guess it's at least 30 years old. Once I'm through my Kodachrome, it's time for some B&W nostalgia.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!
I developed my first roll of film following the tips / guide on the first page. This was my favorite photo of the bunch. It was so simple and straightforward that I was surprised. I was actually expecting it to be more difficult. I also found the whole process more rewarding than the instant gratification that my DSLR provides.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

beeker posted:

I also found the whole process more rewarding than the instant gratification that my DSLR provides.

You're saying that now, but wait until you have a backlog of 15 or 20 rolls of film staring you in the face.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HPL posted:

You're saying that now, but wait until you have a backlog of 15 or 20 rolls of film staring you in the face.

Ugh thanks for reminding me of what I'm trying to avoid doing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Man I love having a pro lab that's cheap and scans great. I drop it off with instructions and pick it up the next day. :cawg:

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

HPL posted:

One or two of which may have only a few exposures on them. Why? :iiam:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I need to get a Paterson 5-roll tank so I can do 3x120 at one time. The regular tanks only fit 1x120 and doing a bunch of rolls, especially stand development, is :effort:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pwn posted:

Man I love having a pro lab that's cheap and scans great. I drop it off with instructions and pick it up the next day. :cawg:
gently caress youuuu!

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I'm looking to get a little compact rangefinder that I can carry around in my jacket for under $200. I've been trying to look for a Canonet G-III QL17 but it seems like major camera websites like BH, Keh, etc don't have them or any of the other cheaper rangefinders. I also don't want to resort to ebay as this is an older camera and I don't really trust the source. Are these cameras cheap because they're so old and aren't really the deal they seem to be? Is there any reputable place that I can get a compact rangefinder?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fiannaiocht posted:

I'm looking to get a little compact rangefinder that I can carry around in my jacket for under $200. I've been trying to look for a Canonet G-III QL17 but it seems like major camera websites like BH, Keh, etc don't have them or any of the other cheaper rangefinders. I also don't want to resort to ebay as this is an older camera and I don't really trust the source. Are these cameras cheap because they're so old and aren't really the deal they seem to be? Is there any reputable place that I can get a compact rangefinder?

I know just the thing. You want an Olympus XA, buy one at KEH because many have seen a lot of use. They don't have any right now but they should be $80-ish for a BGN grade one with A11 flash. I wouldn't risk it off eBay, they're not much cheaper there and you're much more likely to get a broken one.

(not mine, for scale)

It's an aperture-priority rangefinder with a 35mm f/2.8 lens that will fit into the palm of your hand and pumps out the same quality as a 35mm SLR. Nothing like it has been made since, unfortunately.

Or, if you want something for super low light, keep an eye out for a Yashica Lynx 14/14e, they've got a f/1.4 lens and should run <$100, watch out for messed up RF patches since the batteries tend to leak and leech into the works.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 5, 2010

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

I know just the thing. You want an Olympus XA, buy one at KEH because many have seen a lot of use. They don't have any right now but they should be $80-ish for a BGN grade one with A11 flash. I wouldn't risk it off eBay, they're not much cheaper there and you're much more likely to get a broken one.

(not mine, for scale)

It's an aperture-priority rangefinder with a 35mm f/2.8 lens that will fit into the palm of your hand and pumps out the same quality as a 35mm SLR. Nothing like it has been made since, unfortunately.

Or, if you want something for super low light, keep an eye out for a Yashica Lynx 14/14e, they've got a f/1.4 lens and should run <$100, watch out for messed up RF patches since the batteries tend to leak and leech into the works.
I forgot the one caveat: it needs to have that Leica aesthetic, chrome/black, "looks like a camera." I need to look cool you know. Also I'm looking for something fully manual that might be operational without batteries.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've got a Lynx. I love it and it does take good pictures, but it's freaking huge for a rangefinder. Certainly not small enough to fit into a coat.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

There are a bunch of Konica and/or Minolta rangefinders that are small (slightly larger than the XA) and perform really well, but I think they're all auto exposure only and use hard-to-find batteries.

A FED/Zorki with collapsible Industar-50 may be a good fit. Might even be able to fit a Leica III into your budget, though I personally don't like the separate viewfinder/rangefinder windows as much.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Fiannaiocht posted:

I forgot the one caveat: it needs to have that Leica aesthetic, chrome/black, "looks like a camera." I need to look cool you know. Also I'm looking for something fully manual that might be operational without batteries.

The Olympus 35RC, the older brother of the XA, should fit the bill other than the battery thing. To fit it in a coat pocket would be a bit of a push though. The Canonet QL17 is even bulkier because of its large lens. For a pocket camera, the XA is the best for that as far as manual rangefinders go.

Don't get too bent up about operation without batteries. The batteries in rangefinders last a long time since all they power is the meter and the shutter and the batteries are small so it's no problem to carry a spare or two.

FasterThanLight posted:

A FED/Zorki with collapsible Industar-50 may be a good fit.

They are good but they are quite heavy for their size and have no useful light meters.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The Affair posted:

I've got a Lynx. I love it and it does take good pictures, but it's freaking huge for a rangefinder. Certainly not small enough to fit into a coat.

Well, no rangefinder that "looks like a camera" is gonna fit into a coat pocket, and it does have a mechanical shutter. There's only 3 real cameras that fit, the Rollei 35, the XA, and a Minox, and those last 2 are scale focus (not rangefinders)

Fiannaiocht posted:

Realize that the innocuous appearance of the XA is actually an advantage for candid shooting. It does look like a cheap point and shoot, but it's nothing like one in operation or on the inside.

The only thing that would look cool that I can think of is the Rollei 35, and it doesn't have a rangefinder, so you guess at the distance. Also you pay quite a lot for the brand name.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
It seems like the XA is going to have to be the one since it satisfies my needs better than the other rangefinders. I'm looking for something small that I can use in similar situations to my SLR with a kind of minimalist operation philosophy. I'm pretty much looking to duplicate my DSLR/S90 combo with film. If I think of the XA as a point and shoot that actually has a good lens in it I can accept how it looks. The only problems I have with it is the lens isn't as fast as my SLR and the auto-exposure is going to be annoying in the winter. Maybe instead of looking for another camera I should be looking for a different kind of camera bag.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Fiannaiocht posted:

It seems like the XA is going to have to be the one since it satisfies my needs better than the other rangefinders. I'm looking for something small that I can use in similar situations to my SLR with a kind of minimalist operation philosophy. I'm pretty much looking to duplicate my DSLR/S90 combo with film. If I think of the XA as a point and shoot that actually has a good lens in it I can accept how it looks. The only problems I have with it is the lens isn't as fast as my SLR and the auto-exposure is going to be annoying in the winter. Maybe instead of looking for another camera I should be looking for a different kind of camera bag.

The XA has a +1.5 exposure switch for backlit situations or whatever. That should take care of your winter concerns.

Really, if you're looking for minimalist operation, get an Olympus Stylus Epic. Push button to win. It's cheap, compact, light, has autofocus, flash and a sharp lens. The Ricoh GR1s is also super sweet because it has an even sharper 28mm f/2.8 lens, more controls and has a light but strong magnesium body in matte black and is like the Darth Vader of point-and-shoot cameras.

If you really want to spend a lot of money and look hard, the Fuji Natura S should be good. Compact autofocus with a 24mm f/1.9 lens.

The bottom line is that your requirement of a pocket-sized camera pretty much eliminates almost all the cameras with fast sub-f/2.8 lenses.

To be honest, rangefinders aren't nearly as compact as people would have you believe. If you want a fast lens with a kickass light meter, check out the combo of an Olympus OM-4Ti and a 50mm f/1.8. The light meters on the Olympus manual SLRs are excellent and the OM-4 meter is even better because you can select a bunch of areas for the camera to spot meter and expose properly.

HPL fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
If you send it to an Oly technician, you can get the XA's meter recalibrated to underexpose by a stop, which unlocks ISO 1600 film. (You can always get ISO 25 back with the backlight compensator if you really want it.)