Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
^^^^ What he said. (Edit: New page, new leaf)

grover posted:

I got a call yesterday from a colleague at another command wanting to hire me for a job I hadn't even applied for. Not the first time this has happened, either. All ya'll really have to do is just be awesome at what you do and opportunities will just roll on in!

suboptimal posted:

I'd agree with you, except that I find myself in the "can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job" miasma that so many others in this thread are in as well.

This latest debacle with the CEP program is just another great example. I have an MA from a top ten university, I busted my rear end at school, ran one club and helped run three others, interned with a fairly prestigious think tank, have experience living and working abroad, and I speak Arabic at a decent level. Yet all of this isn't even enough to get one foot in the door with the Career Entry program or to pass the QEPs.

I know that you're trying to be encouraging, but it seems kind of futile when very few of us are in the position to be doing anything. I'd wager that any of the people in this thread with federal aspirations could do any job we're given awesomely, but it sometimes feels like we'll never get a chance to prove it thanks to the impossibly high/impossibly opaque requirements needed just to get noticed by DoS/whatever.

But being good in what I am doing now doesn't mean poo poo. I am working for a cokehead manager that can not spell "first aid KIT". He mispelled KIT as "KITE".

Although when we get that for the store, it is going to be fun in the sun.

Edit 2: Not going to be a sour puss. I have been applying to these jobs since September, graduated in December and have basically been doing dick since then. Going to keep on walking.

Besides guys, State Dept. is probably one of the most difficult places to actually get into. Keep your it in your pants and keep loving that chicken.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Gravel Gravy posted:

^^^^ What he said. (Edit: New page, new leaf)

But being good in what I am doing now doesn't mean poo poo. I am working for a cokehead manager that can not spell "first aid KIT". He mispelled KIT as "KITE".

Although when we get that for the store, it is going to be fun in the sun.

Edit 2: Not going to be a sour puss. I have been applying to these jobs since September, graduated in December and have basically been doing dick since then. Going to keep on walking.

Besides guys, State Dept. is probably one of the most difficult places to actually get into. Keep your it in your pants and keep loving that chicken.

No you're wrong you jackass. Obviously it's a kite you fly in the event of a medical emergency in order to signal for help. Duh.

In serious agreement with the both of you though. It's too easy to get bitter about how hard it is to land something right now, but I'm not going to let it happen to me. I figure as long as I keep trying and working towards improving myself academically and professionally, I will find something halfway decent that I can build upon.

However, I still reserve the right to bitch about the economy, cause I mean COME THE gently caress ON.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Well goddamnit.

I was offered a position with the USDA earlier this week. Turns out, a condition of my employment will be successfully passing an Ishigara colorblindness test.

Guess who's colorblind? Yea, lovely. It's mild and I can't imagine that it would affect my success in the position, but I have almost no chance of passing it.

That was a nice two days of thinking I finally had a job. Now it's not looking so great.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Boondock Saint posted:

No you're wrong you jackass. Obviously it's a kite you fly in the event of a medical emergency in order to signal for help. Duh.

In serious agreement with the both of you though. It's too easy to get bitter about how hard it is to land something right now, but I'm not going to let it happen to me. I figure as long as I keep trying and working towards improving myself academically and professionally, I will find something halfway decent that I can build upon.

However, I still reserve the right to bitch about the economy, cause I mean COME THE gently caress ON.

No actually and my more literate employee have decided that it is a kite that rains pixie dust on you that fixes injuries. (Back story, got myself a nasty gash cleaning stuff and there wasn't a first aid kit in the store.)GUESS WHO JUST SOLVED THE HEALTHCARE PROBLEM IN THE US!

I will be honest with any of my embittered peers though, I am getting there. I've an education that leaves me little other opportunities for any other employment. And the job application I sent in September culminated in an interview for a courier position with the DoD that would have put me on a good path. Instead they gave it to some 55+ y/o guy. So much for that entry level program too.

Keep your options open is what I am saying. Also, Human Resources is the scum of the earth.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 24, 2010

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Haha, jesus:
Where did you get that info?

Minimum 101? How do you get over 100? Be a vet? If so, why aren't those marked vets only?

This poo poo is depressing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Kase Im Licht posted:

Minimum 101? How do you get over 100? Be a vet? If so, why aren't those marked vets only?

Was in the email HR sent about 12 hours after the first one, where they just regurgitated your score without explanation.

Gravel Gravy posted:

No actually and my more literate employee have decided that it is a kite that rains pixie dust on you that fixes injuries. (Back story, got myself a nasty gash cleaning stuff and there wasn't a first aid kit in the store.)GUESS WHO JUST SOLVED THE HEALTHCARE PROBLEM IN THE US!

I will be honest with any of my embittered peers though, I am getting there. I've an education that leaves me little other opportunities for any other employment. And the job application I sent in September culminated in an interview for a courier position with the DoD that would have put me on a good path. Instead they gave it to some 55+ y/o guy. So much for that entry level program too.

Keep your options open is what I am saying. Also, Human Resources is the scum of the earth.

Whoa, congrats on the courier interview! I was referred to the hiring official but didn't make it through the QEP (sadly, this is the best I've done at anything so far). Can you talk more about the interview and stuff or did you have to sign an NDA?

Edit: whoops, mine was with the DoS. Still, be interested to hear about it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Gravel Gravy posted:

No, its an American embassy in a foreign country.

Weird, I agree.
Local hire is what we'd call that position or would it be a PSC/PSA type contract?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

TCD posted:

Local hire is what we'd call that position or would it be a PSC/PSA type contract?

I'm guessing it's with PA&E -- major contractor for custodial services at some overseas facilities. We've had them at every post to which I've been assigned.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Gravel Gravy posted:

Instead they gave it to some 55+ y/o guy. So much for that entry level program too.

That's what really pisses me off. Not that 55+ year old guys are getting jobs, that's all fine and dandy and I can sympathize since my dad was in that position a few years back, but having programs like the FCIP or the CEP that you know they created and aim towards people in our shoes (Recent Grads, Graduate Students, recently separated vets, etc) yet they are hiring mid to senior level professionals who are well beyond the G5-7 bands. It's so loving backwards. What...the...gently caress...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Business of Ferrets posted:

I'm guessing it's with PA&E -- major contractor for custodial services at some overseas facilities. We've had them at every post to which I've been assigned.

Well we certainly don't have em here!

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Is there any particular website that lists the most common freebies you get as a federal employee? I've heard of the Knotts Berry Farm free entry for federal employees and the Apple store discounts, anything else?

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Kase Im Licht posted:

Yep, there are bonus points for being a veteran and even more for being a disabled veteran. When they list the minimum points needed to be referred, that probably means that some veterans or disabled veterans applied to the job and drove the scores way up.

Villain's Mask
Nov 28, 2004

This post he typed in cold blood with a toothpick

Eddain posted:

Is there any particular website that lists the most common freebies you get as a federal employee? I've heard of the Knotts Berry Farm free entry for federal employees and the Apple store discounts, anything else?

I've never even heard of these. I start my new job tomorrow(!) so these things will likely be covered in orientation. Still it sounds interesting--if it comes up (and no one answers first) then I'll be sure to let you know.

Olphij
May 30, 2006
What's it all about?

Eddain posted:

http://www.govexec.com/discount/

edit: accidentally posted the wrong link

Olphij fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 26, 2010

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
This may or may not be the right place to ask, but does anyone here work with the Forestry Service? I seem to remember a whole A/T thread dedicated to it, if someone here knows what I'm talking about shoot me a PM/email, I'd love to ask a few questions.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

Zoo fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 27, 2010

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Did any of you guys work on campaigns prior to getting into government jobs? I'm on one now and trying to figure out the best way to put it on my resume, what to specifically emphasize. I've mentioned the territory I'm responsible for and my volunteer recruitment already, figured those are good leadership/responsibility things, but I'm not sure what else to put now.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Yeah, that is the ticket.

Quick question about them since you are somewhat knowledgeable about them.

It seems odd that they would just give away a clearance, I am wondering if the only way I could keep it is if I stayed with the contractor.

How conceivable is it that I can just use it, finish my contract, leave with a TS clearance, spend a couple years in Russia to improve my language and knowledge of the country, finish and use the TS to improve my chances of getting a federal career.

Because that is pretty much my reason for wanting to do it.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 28, 2010

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Boondock Saint posted:

That's what really pisses me off. Not that 55+ year old guys are getting jobs, that's all fine and dandy and I can sympathize since my dad was in that position a few years back, but having programs like the FCIP or the CEP that you know they created and aim towards people in our shoes (Recent Grads, Graduate Students, recently separated vets, etc) yet they are hiring mid to senior level professionals who are well beyond the G5-7 bands. It's so loving backwards. What...the...gently caress...
Same price for more trained labor, I guess. That said it does kind of defeat the purpose.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yeah, that is the ticket.

Quick question about them since you are somewhat knowledgeable about them.

It seems odd that they would just give away a clearance, I am wondering if the only way I could keep it is if I stayed with the contractor.

How conceivable is it that I can just use it, finish my contract, leave with a TS clearance, spend a couple years in Russia to improve my language and knowledge of the country, finish and use the TS to improve my chances of getting a federal career.

Because that is pretty much my reason for wanting to do it.

If you're going to spend time in Russia, you might as well keep your job with PAE as long as you can and take language classes or get a tutor on your own time. That way you will have a job and a place to live (also, a visa to stay in the country).

Of course, if you can find a better job there to jump to after you finish your contract, then go for it. But just trying to stick around after your contract ends could be problematic from a visa standpoint. Not impossible, but a pain. Also, life in Russia's major cities (certainly everywhere we have diplomatic posts) is expensive, so keep that in mind. The quality of life for PAEers there is comparable to that of US diplomats, so it is quite comfortable. I don't know how much that kind of work experience will help with getting a fed job, though the clearance, the overseas time and any gained language proficiency couldn't hurt.

TS clearances expire after 5 years (possibly faster if you are not in a job using it, such as if you end your employment with the contractor for a period).

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
wild card, but just promoting conversation.. for any FBI/DOJ guys out there: Any advice for applying to their respective IT/CS (forensics or otherwise) departments?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Anyone taken the Border Patrol exam? I'm scheduled for the 29th of October, study guide is supposed to come in the next week or so.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

If you're going to spend time in Russia, you might as well keep your job with PAE as long as you can and take language classes or get a tutor on your own time. That way you will have a job and a place to live (also, a visa to stay in the country).

Of course, if you can find a better job there to jump to after you finish your contract, then go for it. But just trying to stick around after your contract ends could be problematic from a visa standpoint. Not impossible, but a pain. Also, life in Russia's major cities (certainly everywhere we have diplomatic posts) is expensive, so keep that in mind. The quality of life for PAEers there is comparable to that of US diplomats, so it is quite comfortable. I don't know how much that kind of work experience will help with getting a fed job, though the clearance, the overseas time and any gained language proficiency couldn't hurt.

TS clearances expire after 5 years (possibly faster if you are not in a job using it, such as if you end your employment with the contractor for a period).

Sorry, looks like my question is a little confusing.

I didn't mean that I wanted to stay in Russia, I was listing the benefits that this job would have so that I can improve upon the language that I learned in university. Honestly, I should have just left that bit out, the clearance is all I was concerned about.

So the contractor can't hold the clearance hostage or anything like that after I do my two years?

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
Has anyone ever taken the CBT for TSA. I giggle thinking what this test is going to entail next week.

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer
whats a programming job like? the area I want to move to is near an AFB and has a whole bunch of listings on use jobs. just wondering what the hours and stress load are. seems like in the private sector 45 hours/week is an expected minimum

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh man, security clearance is such a pain. I can't remember the dates I worked every pithy little job over the last 10 years. Halp.

edit: A question about foreign contacts. So it says I should list people to whom I am bound by affection, influence and/or obligation. I mean, I have friends...but I wouldn't consider myself "bound" by any of them necessarily. Does that mean I can just totally skip this section?

Do I have to list my Indian ex-boyfriend who I have completely severed? I have no idea what his address is currently and I really don't want to know either.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 30, 2010

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

CherryCola posted:

Oh man, security clearance is such a pain. I can't remember the dates I worked every pithy little job over the last 10 years. Halp.

edit: A question about foreign contacts. So it says I should list people to whom I am bound by affection, influence and/or obligation. I mean, I have friends...but I wouldn't consider myself "bound" by any of them necessarily. Does that mean I can just totally skip this section?

Do I have to list my Indian ex-boyfriend who I have completely severed? I have no idea what his address is currently and I really don't want to know either.

This is god drat hell for anyone in the military so don't worry too much. Especially now considering we have to put every single TDY over 60 days on there. Location: DESERT, TRAILER OR SOMETHING.

If they are only internet friends I wouldn't worry about it. But if they are someone in real life that you talk to on a semi-regular basis I would put it down.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
They told me to put down everyone and explain the contact/relationship, and let the investigator decide what's relevant.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Heh. Not looking forward to that process if I get an internship this summer. 30% of my classmates are international.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tyro posted:

Heh. Not looking forward to that process if I get an internship this summer. 30% of my classmates are international.

I spent about 3 years of undergrad overseas.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I spent about 3 years of undergrad overseas.

Ouch.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tyro posted:

Ouch.

Are you doing DIA or one of the other ones that require a TS? Just a regular SECRET isn't all that bad; they'll ask where you've been but they don't really seem to follow up on any of it at that level. I think it's probably like a background/credit check and basic look to see if your story lines up with what they can easily check it against. For example, the guy asked me for the names and contact info of my foreign roommates (had like 9 or 10) from 2004-2005 and didn't seem too fussed that I couldn't find info for a lot of them.

TS and above they do take a lot more time with. I'm staying at a friend's place in Vancouver for the week right now, and he's a little amused that some US government guy might show up and ask him questions about me someday.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Are you doing DIA or one of the other ones that require a TS? Just a regular SECRET isn't all that bad; they'll ask where you've been but they don't really seem to follow up on any of it at that level. I think it's probably like a background/credit check and basic look to see if your story lines up with what they can easily check it against. For example, the guy asked me for the names and contact info of my foreign roommates (had like 9 or 10) from 2004-2005 and didn't seem too fussed that I couldn't find info for a lot of them.

TS and above they do take a lot more time with. I'm staying at a friend's place in Vancouver for the week right now, and he's a little amused that some US government guy might show up and ask him questions about me someday.

I'm looking at a lot of places but I am hoping to get a TS.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

CherryCola posted:

Ex-boyfriend that you had relations with in the last few years?

Yes, they'll probably want to know.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

TCD posted:

Ex-boyfriend that you had relations with in the last few years?

Yes, they'll probably want to know.

Welp, this is going to take like a month to fill out.

edit: oh thank god, they don't ask for addresses or phone numbers. That makes my life SO much easier.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 1, 2010

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I got a voice-mail this afternoon from the USPTO inviting me down for an interview this Wednesday.

I have no freakin' clue how I'm going to get from eastern CT to Alexandria VA for a Wednesday interview. I can't afford the airfare, hotel, or train fare, and it's a 7 hour drive. :( Woohoo on the interview, but drat that's inconveniently timed.

Anyone have any clue if they reimburse interview expenses? It's a loooong trip from Connecticut.

Joshie
Oct 29, 2001

MAYOR OF PIGTOWN

CherryCola posted:

Welp, this is going to take like a month to fill out.

edit: oh thank god, they don't ask for addresses or phone numbers. That makes my life SO much easier.

Even when you don't have to answer those questions on the e-QIP or whatever, you'll need to be prepared to track down that information or provide solid justification on why you can't when it comes down to the interview.

I had to provide contact information for a maid that had only been in my apartment twice.

Tesoro
Nov 18, 2004
ohmygod

Sundae posted:

I got a voice-mail this afternoon from the USPTO inviting me down for an interview this Wednesday.

I have no freakin' clue how I'm going to get from eastern CT to Alexandria VA for a Wednesday interview. I can't afford the airfare, hotel, or train fare, and it's a 7 hour drive. :( Woohoo on the interview, but drat that's inconveniently timed.

Anyone have any clue if they reimburse interview expenses? It's a loooong trip from Connecticut.

You need to grow a pair and request a telephone interview. That's what I did. I told them I didn't have time to go to Alexandria, and they didnt seem to mind. We set up a phone interview, and after a 30 minute phone call in my boxers I virtually had an offer.

If you insist on going in for the interview,(which is akin to insisting on filling out paper applications to apply to college), 3.5 star hotels are $100/night on hotwire if you stay at dupont circle or foggy bottom. Also, buses are insanely cheap if you can get a ride to NYC (bolt bus is $40 round trip).

Good luck, it's not a difficult interview. They have 1200 seats to fill and you'd need to give them a good reason not to hire you for it to not work out.

edit: they're not going to reimburse anything. This agency is cheap as all hell when it comes to things like that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

USA Jobs seems to be giving me weird errors when I try to look at an actual job field. Is it just the government's server maintanence period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Sundae posted:

Ask the HR person, but I believe you're entitled to full reimbursement, plus per diem (about $100/day). NRL flew me down to DC for an interview once when I lived in State College, PA; they paid all the expenses. I'd just ask for a phone interview, though.