Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
I'm going to look at a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Automatic Sedan (non Quattro 150bhp) tomorrow. It's done 145000 KMs.
Anything in particular I should look for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
My Wife's car has developed another issue. Twice today, when turning right, the battery light will come on, and the vehicle becomes difficult to turn. What is wrong this time?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Sounds like the power steering pump is going out. The power steering pump is connected to the serpentine belt, most likely also the alternator is hooked up to the same belt. If the power steering belt seizes momentarily while turning, the belt has a harder time of turning, your battery light would come on notifying you of improper charging.

What is the year/make/model of your wifes vehicle?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
That makes sense. It's a 2006 GTI. Automatic. I hope this won't be expensive.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

get out posted:

My Wife's car has developed another issue. Twice today, when turning right, the battery light will come on, and the vehicle becomes difficult to turn. What is wrong this time?

Hmmm. For some reason your serpentine belt (it runs the power steering pump, alternator, and A/C compressor) isn't able to turn the pulley for the power steering pump when you turn right. It's possible that the power steering pump or rack is having some kind of problem resulting in the serpentine belt having trouble turning the pulley for the pump. The other possibility is that the tensioner for the serpentine belt is going bad which allows the belt to become slack and turn the various accessory pulleys at a slower speed than they're supposed to. So, check your power steering fluid level and have a look at the pulleys and serpentine belt while the engine is running. Also, have someone move the steering wheel from left to right while you watch the serp. belt - it should move very smoothly over it's pulleys.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I'm going to check all of those things today. Thanks for the info, guys.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

get out posted:

Was it raining? Mine does this sometimes when I hit a puddle and the belt slips.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
Noticed a weird thing happening every once in a while: when I'm driving fairly fast and tapping brakes before entering a (not very sharp) corner, brake pedal starts pulsing as if ABS is engaging instead of going down smoothly. This isn't emergency braking either, just a quick tap to reduce speed. Only happened a few times but seems kind of alarming since it doesn't usually happen under similar circumstances, and when it does I'm not expecting it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Meh, I have a bulge in one of my Pirelli P Zeros.
I guess I am gonna end up paying for it out of pocket. I don't think the warranty covers it and I don't think I have any extra coverage.

I don't know of the dealer would be the way to go, but I guess I'll give them a try first to see about getting it replaced.

I haven't even put 4k on the car yet.

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes
Borrowed a friend's camera so I could get some better pics of that transmission input shaft. Thanks for looking into it.

Also, should I be concerned about that surface rust? I've had my engine out for a good month and we've been getting some rain. Can I just wipe it off and be fine?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

Meh, I have a bulge in one of my Pirelli P Zeros.
I guess I am gonna end up paying for it out of pocket. I don't think the warranty covers it and I don't think I have any extra coverage.

I don't know of the dealer would be the way to go, but I guess I'll give them a try first to see about getting it replaced.

I haven't even put 4k on the car yet.

Does it make a noise when you're driving? Can you post a picture?

I can hear something making a tap-tap-tap noise on the left side, sounds like it's from the rear.. it's not loud enough most of the time, but when I'm driving along a divider or wall I can hear it very clearly. It's like a mechanical pencil click, and gets faster or slower depending on car's speed. I was thinking it's the rear tire, any other ideas?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

I can hear something making a tap-tap-tap noise on the left side, sounds like it's from the rear.. it's not loud enough most of the time, but when I'm driving along a divider or wall I can hear it very clearly. It's like a mechanical pencil click, and gets faster or slower depending on car's speed. I was thinking it's the rear tire, any other ideas?

My hearing isn't so great, so I didn't notice much of anything. My TPMS went off and I added more air to the tire as it was around 32PSI and supposed to be 38. So I guess I ran over something at some point and adding more air made it bulge out cause I didn't notice it yesterday.

It is dark out and I just have my cell phone with me so it might be hard to see:

EDIT: I also ordered a better pressure gauge as I probably haven't kept up with keeping the tires at suggested pressure, and all the crazy weather changes the past month haven't helped...

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 4, 2010

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Autism Sundae posted:

I hear the same thing from my GTI, sounds like a tick-tick-tick coming from the front wheel well, I can only hear it if it's echoing off a wall or other cars.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

chutwig posted:

I hear the same thing from my GTI, sounds like a tick-tick-tick coming from the front wheel well, I can only hear it if it's echoing off a wall or other cars.

Yeah, what the hell is that? It's one of those things that you never even consider until you hear it once and then it keeps bothering you. Is yours on the left side?

Thanks for the pic JHVH, my tires don't have anything like that.. can yours be fixed or is it new tire time?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Autism Sundae posted:

Yeah, what the hell is that? It's one of those things that you never even consider until you hear it once and then it keeps bothering you. Is yours on the left side?

Thanks for the pic JHVH, my tires don't have anything like that.. can yours be fixed or is it new tire time?

Yeah, I can only hear it from the front left. It sounds like a rhythmic squeaking or scraping that speeds up as I speed up. I have no idea what it is.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Autism Sundae posted:

I'm pretty sure a bulge like that is indicative of the inner sidewall being broken, so I probably have to pony up for a new tire. Otherwise it could blow at any time if I hit another pothole or something.

I put my APR program back into stock mode and drove home like a granny under the speed limit just to play it safe.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
I'm in the market for a used vehicle, and while poking around a few used dealerships in town, I stumbled accross this baby.

Appears to be in fairly nice condition. However, at 240,000 clicks I'm worried this might end up being more trouble than its worth. Any suggestions?

My intial budget for a new vehicle was ~$6000, so basically I'm wondering if this Jetta plus maintenence costs would actually save me money in the long run or not.

PS: I live in :canada: if it makes a difference.

electricsugar fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 4, 2010

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

If I was in the market for a used car and had six grand to spend, I'd be looking at older Toyotas or Hondas. I don't think an old Jetta will provide more excitement for your dollar than a Civic unless you're mechanically inclined.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?

Autism Sundae posted:

If I was in the market for a used car and had six grand to spend, I'd be looking at older Toyotas or Hondas. I don't think an old Jetta will provide more excitement for your dollar than a Civic unless you're mechanically inclined.

I was actually looking for used Civics when I came accross this Jetta. I'm not really mechanically incined at all, I just want a nice ride thats at least fun to drive. I've just aways had a soft spot for VW's and I thought this might be a fun vehicle. But you're probably right that a toyota/honda is more practical. Thanks for the input.

electricsugar fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 4, 2010

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Hooray for low profile tires. $240 later I have a new tire. They are also ordering the hatch trip piece to fix my shelf, but thats under warranty.

I don't know how much VW offers road hazard for when you buy the car, but it probably would have been a good idea in the northeast US or anywhere else that roads are sketchy. Definitely getting the road hazard on my winter set of wheels.

EDIT: Tire Rack sells the same tire for $140 they sell for $200. If the timing had been better I might have risked it.

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 4, 2010

Misplaced Yankee
Jan 29, 2009

chutwig posted:

Yeah, I can only hear it from the front left. It sounds like a rhythmic squeaking or scraping that speeds up as I speed up. I have no idea what it is.

I can tell you that we had that on my wife's G6, and it was a wheel bearing. Once that was replaced, the sound went away. It was on the passenger side though. I know it make a tick-tick-tick sound that speed up based on speed.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Another dumb question: when I turn the key to the halfway "on" position (lights and radio are on but engine off) the EPC and CEL lights stay lit, along with battery and airbag lights. I'm assuming this is normal?

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

Hahahahahahaaa.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Let me guess, you turned up the volume and your bumpers fell off

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Hermansen posted:

I'm going to look at a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T Automatic Sedan (non Quattro 150bhp) tomorrow. It's done 145000 KMs.
Anything in particular I should look for?

The usual stuff: make sure timing belt and water pump have been done, listen for knocking in the front end (i.e. control arm ball joints), and oil change type. I don't know if there's a difference from 2000 to 2003 but the upgrade for the oil filter is about 2x the size of the original one for increased oil capacity. Coilpacks are another thing, so check if the 03's are affected adn if they are, has the recall repair been done.

I'm probably missing something, but those are the big ones i can think of.

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

Autism Sundae posted:

Let me guess, you turned up the volume and your bumpers fell off

I don't listen to music anymore, and there is tape on the sunglasses holder. Have yet to get the speaker or keying damage fixed yet, and now my driver door seems to be rattling every time I go over bumps? :wtf:

hunt3r44
Nov 27, 2005
Morelia Viridis
Ordered my 2011 Audi S5 Friday.. anyone else got one? Any suggestions or advice?

Should be here in at least three months. loving stoked

hunt3r44 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 5, 2010

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!
I'm going to test drive a 2001 Audi allroad with my father in the next couple of days. The car is for him. It's got the 2.7TT engine, manual transmission, 118k miles. What do I need to look out for in this car.

His current car, a '97 A6 is a piece of poo poo, everything has fallen apart (to be fair, he didn't take very good care of it, unlike the '88 90 I got as a hand me down when he got the A6)

We need to get him a car that will be reliable for at least 3-4 years. Should I even consider this car? We're honestly only looking at it because it may be the cheap option right now. We're going to look at other, newer Audis later in the week that will most likely last us longer, but this particular one is local in town to us, and it's a rare sight for one of our dealers in town to get an Audi in any condition.

The dealer says (of course) excellent condition and that it's been serviced. What specific service should I be asking about being performed? My knowledge of Audis stops in 1988 and picks back up in around 2006 (although I've always been in love with the allroad for some reason, I'm a wagon guy).

huntx7 posted:

Ordered my 2011 Audi S5 Friday
I'm super jealous.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

huntx7 posted:

Ordered my 2011 Audi S5 Friday.. anyone else got one? Any suggestions or advice?

Should be here in at least three months. loving stoked

Awesome. Details on your car?

hunt3r44
Nov 27, 2005
Morelia Viridis

DogDodger posted:

Awesome. Details on your car?

4.2 fsi automatic premium plus package (considered the prestige but would have been paying 2500 for keyless start pretty much)
brilliant black
MMI navigation
silk nappa leather with alcantara inserts in black and silver interior
B&O sound system

I wanted to get the sport rear differential but it would have added two months to my delivery time. I'll be sure to post pics up when I get it

yigabit
Mar 26, 2005
i have an ericofon
i just picked up a 2004 A4 today, while going over the interior with a vacuum, i noticed the passenger side rear doesn't fold down, the driver side rear folds down so i see how it's supposed to operate (red tab pops up, key lockable) any tips for getting the passenger side rear to work? right now, the lever is lockable, however when its unlocked and i pull on it, the red tab doesn't pop up. Also while looking in the trunk, theres a inside pocket door on the driver side that's just empty, i presume thats just storage, however its divided where the upper portion is a covered plastic panel that doesn't seem to open. whats in there and how do i open it? last question: when i turn the engine off, it makes a sound to which i can only describe as some sort of alien craft landing, is that just the turbo whirling down or something? i've never driven a car with turbo, or anything like an audi. if it helps, the sound stars after the engine is off/dead.

edit: appended last question

yigabit fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 6, 2010

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

yigabit posted:

last question: when i turn the engine off, it makes a sound to which i can only describe as some sort of alien craft landing, is that just the turbo whirling down or something? i've never driven a car with turbo, or anything like an audi. if it helps, the sound stars after the engine is off/dead.

It's the climate system fans spinning down. If you turn off the system while the car is still running, you'll notice you won't hear anything after you turn off the car.

Understeer fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 6, 2010

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

chutwig posted:

My GTI does this, but it can't be a wheel because the ticking happens in synch with the rpm at idle, after I drive hard. Must be something different.

komradekommissar
Nov 8, 2009

yigabit posted:

i just picked up a 2004 A4 today, while going over the interior with a vacuum, i noticed the passenger side rear doesn't fold down, the driver side rear folds down so i see how it's supposed to operate (red tab pops up, key lockable) any tips for getting the passenger side rear to work? right now, the lever is lockable, however when its unlocked and i pull on it, the red tab doesn't pop up. Also while looking in the trunk, theres a inside pocket door on the driver side that's just empty, i presume thats just storage, however its divided where the upper portion is a covered plastic panel that doesn't seem to open. whats in there and how do i open it? last question: when i turn the engine off, it makes a sound to which i can only describe as some sort of alien craft landing, is that just the turbo whirling down or something? i've never driven a car with turbo, or anything like an audi. if it helps, the sound stars after the engine is off/dead.

Most modern Vdubs have electrically controlled cooling fans that kick in and run for at most 10 minutes after you turn the engine off, if the coolant temperature is high enough. Threw me for a loop when I first got my Audi as I had no idea what the hell was going on (I hadn't had a car that did that before!)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
When I took my GTI in to the shop the other day they also performed this update. I am wondering if it is the throttle body update I heard about or something else:
code:
97942599 Check Coding; Update Coding
526 WV03 0.50
FC: 97T299 HLO

3486 Perform YW Update Complete
My APR tune is still in tact, so it didn't overwrite the ECU

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Autism Sundae posted:

Another dumb question: when I turn the key to the halfway "on" position (lights and radio are on but engine off) the EPC and CEL lights stay lit, along with battery and airbag lights. I'm assuming this is normal?

Anyone?

Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom
Not sure if it helps but I had 2 Skoda Fabia vRS's (VW Polo by another name) one would show those 2 lights at the same position, the other didn't. Neither were showing any codes and I could never work it out sorry.

thecopsarehere
Jul 25, 2008

Probably normal, the warning lights on my mk1 Jetta stay on until I rev it past 2,000 rpms and I know that's how it's supposed to be.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Autism Sundae posted:

Anyone?

CEL and battery lights being on at that point is pretty standard for every car I've ever driven (since the engine is not running and the alternator is not charging the battery). EPC seems to be a limp-home mode indicator and would typically be associated with the CEL, so I'd bet that's normal, and as for the airbag light as long as it's not on when the engine's running it's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Yeah, the lights go off once I turn the key to position 2. Probably normal, just being paranoid about the lights and the manual says nothing about it.