Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Bewildrbeast posted:

Just a post-wedding question-
How long did it take for y'all do to your thank you notes and sending out photos and such? It was a month ago today and I feel like I'm way behind on everything :(

3 weeks to send out the thank you cards. We're working on the photos but I think we're taking our time on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CalamityKate
Dec 4, 2004

GoreJess posted:

Just a warning on this, and maybe your cake will be different since it's fruit cake, but it probably won't taste good. My husband & I were able to take two bites each & then the rest of it went in the trash. Old cake that's been frozen for a year is really dry....

Our boxed up cake absolutely haunted my husband every time he opened the freezer the whole first year. It tasted terrible at one year old so we each took a bite, and then celebrated throwing it out and reclaiming the freezer space it was hogging.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
That is one tradition I just don't understand. Who wants to eat year-old cake?

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
The bakery making our cake gives us a free top layer on our one-year anniversary.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

gvibes posted:

That is one tradition I just don't understand. Who wants to eat year-old cake?

This. We ended up saving our top tier for the one year tradition thing. At the time, we were still all wedding mushy, so I saved a bunch of crap from our wedding that I later threw out (our seating chart, for example, sat in our closet for wayyyy too long).

As time passed, the cake just got more and more annoying. It took up space that we didn't really have to spare and my keepsake feelings toward it dwindled. Out of some weird obligation, it made it to the one year mark, and we thawed it, took a couple bites and let it sit on the counter until we tossed it a few days later. It was pretty gross.

Cota Froise
May 12, 2009

Did you really just post that?
Our cake was baked in March (wedding in July) and it's still good, if not better, and hasn't been kept in the freezer or fridge. It depends on the recipe, since many fruitcake recipes were designed to keep the ingredients from going off and going to waste. In many cases, you do have to keep "feeding" it with alcohol though.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

GoreJess posted:

Just a warning on this, and maybe your cake will be different since it's fruit cake, but it probably won't taste good. My husband & I were able to take two bites each & then the rest of it went in the trash. Old cake that's been frozen for a year is really dry....

We quadruple wrapped our cake and it turned out fine, thankfully. We wrapped it in foil, then plastic, then plastic again, then bagged it and sucked all the air out of the bag.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

superbelch posted:

The bakery making our cake gives us a free top layer on our one-year anniversary.

This. This makes the most sense. In fact, I'm think I'm going to put that on my wedding list on my phone.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

superbelch posted:

Ours does the same, which was one of the major factors in us choosing that baker. Plus the cake was freaking amazing tasting :D

We've been married for 2.5 months, still waiting to send out thank you cards. I wanted to include some pictures from the wedding with each card but our photographer has been having issues getting us our photo cd's. A bit frustrating because I wrote all the thank you's a week after the wedding, but because we just moved across country last week our cards don't really make sense any more and I have to rewrite almost all of them. Ugggggh.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Fire In The Disco posted:

We quadruple wrapped our cake and it turned out fine, thankfully. We wrapped it in foil, then plastic, then plastic again, then bagged it and sucked all the air out of the bag.

Unfortunately, we left for our honeymoon early the next morning & my in-laws didn't take it upon themselves to wrap it tight before sticking it in their freezer.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

We have access to one of those vacuum seal machines, thanks for the advice on storing the cake.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Thank you card etiquette question:

If my invites are all going out electronically, is it horribly tacky to send out thank you cards electronically? I am pretty sure the answer is "yes," but I just wanted to double-check.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

GoreJess posted:

Unfortunately, we left for our honeymoon early the next morning & my in-laws didn't take it upon themselves to wrap it tight before sticking it in their freezer.

Same situation for me except my in-law didn't bother to put it in the freezer at all. :downs:

Basically the cake obviously got mold and we had to toss it out. Probably for the best anyway.

e: responding to the above post. It depends. Hopefully you're not posting it on your MySpace!

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
I'm so stupidly excited about my "cake." The issue was that I really don't like the texture of most cake, so we were looking for alternatives (brownie, pie, cookie, banana bread, etc.). Two of the places we went to completely ignored my silly issues and just started talking traditional cakes with my fiance. The third offered up a few alternative ideas, and let us look at some design books.

So, what we're going to have is cookies, made up like little round wedding cakes inside clear plastic boxes, and the boxes will be stacked like a square cake design we liked (with her throwing bouquet on top, and some of our handfasting ribbon cascading down). Me and the other math nerds will probably spend a good 10 minutes just staring at it's glorious complexity.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I got married on the 18th and we had a wonderful ceremony in the city park. Each of our brothers (she has 1, I have 1) cooked/catered a bunch of barbecue for us. Instead of cake or cupcakes (HOLY poo poo $8 A CUPCAKE?), we had pie. Because we love pie. So we had nine different pies, all baked by a different person. Let me see if I can list....Strawberry rhubarb (our favorite, and the one we 'cut'), apple, cherry, peach, mixed berry, apple raspberry, chocolate cream, key lime and sweet potato (was great with the bbq!)

I'm excited and happy and still a little bit tired from the whole thing, but have absolutely no complaints. And it's fun to chew through all these gift cards!

Sorry, not too too much content, but I'll be happy to answer any Q's about having a low budget hippie wedding in the south if you like!

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Jonny 290 posted:

PIE!

:hfive: Pie as wedding dessert buddy!

I didn't want to eat stale wedding cake a year later anyway.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The pie was a serious hit. Everybody thought it was the most brilliant idea, with this setup you can have a pie for everybody's taste, and cleanup was easy. Can not recommend enough.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
We had our regular wedding cake but also a cheesecake spread and man, did that go over well! The baker made really good no sugar added cheesecake, so we had a couple of those for the diabetic folks as well as a special flavored one for each of us-- Bananas Foster for my husband, and Reese's Peanut Butter Cup for me.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

We had a regular 2-layer cake, but we also did vanilla, chocolate, and banana bread cupcakes. Options are always awesome.

EchoBase
Dec 11, 2001
We're getting married in my fiancee's home country in eastern europe. We visited and picked out a reception location and now have been in contact to reserve our date, put in our deposit, etc. The odd thing is that the place doesn't work with contracts. I don't mean that they won't sign a contract, but they don't have standard contracts to work with. The entire wedding industry there, in fact, seems to work without agreements.

So, I'm looking for some samples of reception hall agreements. I've found info on weddings sites detailing things we should look for in a contract, but no actual written samples. Does anyone know of any sites with samples?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Depending on which country it is you're probably wasting your time. Even if you have an agreement in place you won't be able to legally enforce it as it could take a decade to sue for damages, but that won't matter because your wedding will already be ruined.

My only advice is don't pay for everything up front, or use a trusted intermediary to act as an escrow holder.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
Ring talk:
I'm looking to buy an engagement ring. I found a nice one on http://www.jewelsforme.com but I'm not sure how legit that site is or how to find out. I'm looking for something with a silver band and an onyx, and I couldn't find anything good skimming through the sites in the OP. Any recommendations, or anyone know if that site is reputable?

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

My cousin did the pie thing at her wedding. It was nice to be able to choose a dessert of your liking rather than being relegated to one flavor of cake. Plus, each pie had a 'pie topper' composed of pairs of animals. One pie had a lion and lioness, one had two zebras, one had a cow and a bull etc.. I thought it was pretty cute.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Got our pro photos.

Click here for the full 720x478 image.

Click here for the full 478x720 image.

So many more great ones but I won't bore you all. Like most people we were really waffling on getting a pro photographer, and it cost a fortune, but we don't regret it for a second.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 2, 2010

Petrichor!
May 10, 2010

leidend posted:

So many more great ones but I won't bore you all. Like most people we were really waffling on getting a pro photographer, and it cost a fortune, but we don't regret it for a second.

Ooh, I recognize where this is :D

Congrats! And beautiful photos of the two of you :)

E: Looks like a small ceremony! How many people did you have there?

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Those photos make me so happy! Congrats!

Quick questions about wedding showers. I've read that my fiance can come along for the ride but it's mostly a women only thing that focused on the bride, right? My mom is going to throw the shower. Should I invite my fiance's female friends or just my own? I'm not sure what the etiquette is on this.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Petrichor! posted:

Ooh, I recognize where this is :D

Congrats! And beautiful photos of the two of you :)

E: Looks like a small ceremony! How many people did you have there?

I think it was 45 total? It was a small room so that was the max. I was aiming for closer to 20. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Ms. Happiness posted:

Quick questions about wedding showers. I've read that my fiance can come along for the ride but it's mostly a women only thing that focused on the bride, right? My mom is going to throw the shower. Should I invite my fiance's female friends or just my own? I'm not sure what the etiquette is on this.

I had both a bridal shower thrown by my sister and a co-ed wedding shower thrown by my MIL. The co-ed shower was really laid back and fun and the bridal shower was more traditional and had games and stuff.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?

Ms. Happiness posted:

Definitely invite your fianc's female relatives, as they'll be your future in-laws and marriage is about joining families. Feel it out with his female friends, invite them if they're close to you and your friend group, but don't invite them if it'll be awkward because they don't know anybody there.

The bridal showers thrown by mothers-of-the-bride that I've attended tend to be female relatives and friends of the bride's mom, which is awesome because older women can afford to get you awesome presents.

Have your mutual friends throw you an engagement party if you want all your friends there.

PopRocks fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 2, 2010

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Just seconding the idea of springing for pro photographers. We had a friend do ours and, while he did a nice job, we missed out on a lot of the typical 'wedding' photos as he wasn't sure what he should shoot.
There's also an issue with EVERYone in a family trying to get photos, so if you have a professional they're more versed in getting people the gently caress out of the way so you can get your good shots.

Example from our wedding-

That happened. A LOT. People would just stand in front of our photog and snap away, but he was worried about coming off rude so he wouldn't ask them to move.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Does anyone know what the typical protocol is with a destination wedding? I'm not super keen on planning the whole big wedding thing, and realized how easy a destination wedding would be when I was the MOH at my friend's wedding last year. Just show up with groom and dress of choice, and you're done!

My problem is that the fiance is super keen on having his "special day", so we'll have a sort of reception back home (I'm thinking a bbq at the riding club with beer, but he wants something a bit more upscale), but is there etiquette surrounding inviting ppl to the wedding then the reception? I figure whomever comes to the tropics with us will come, and if not, they can rsvp to the reception type thing.

Also, at the wedding we'll have a baby, probably around 8 months old. Do we bring the baby up the aisle with us and get married with it? Or would a nearby relative hold it?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
We didn't have a destination wedding, but we did have an all-inclusive package that both saved us money and saved us time finding vendors, etc. Our package included the use of the mansion for rehearsal, ceremony and reception, dinner, cake, linens, DJ, photographer, flowers, table design and place settings, decorations...basically the only things we needed to provide were the officiant and the booze (they provided a bartender). That's an option you might want to look for if your other half wants to keep things close to home. As for what to do with the babby, that's totally up to you! I have seen people do both. And at 8 months, he/she might be crawling and you might be able to do something cute with that.

Aunt Dahlia
Nov 25, 2009
We got the ring!

18k white gold, color change sapphire + a bunch of tiny diamonds.

The first two pictures were taken outside right after we picked it up; the last was taken inside. It's entirely purple under the right light, which I wasn't expecting at first but is rather neat!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
It's gorgeous!

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

ChloroformSeduction posted:

Also, at the wedding we'll have a baby, probably around 8 months old. Do we bring the baby up the aisle with us and get married with it? Or would a nearby relative hold it?
A Baby Bouquet is the clear choice.

I got legal-married yesterday. I was going to keep it under wraps so that the conservative family won't think my wedding in 6 days is less important, but it was outed on Facebook by my friends. Oh, well. It was a lot of fun, though it's pretty weird calling him my husband.

e. This is my favorite "nice" picture.

Most of them are more like this.

Zaftig fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 3, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zaftig posted:

I got legal-married yesterday. I was going to keep it under wraps so that the conservative family won't think my wedding in 6 days is less important, but it was outed on Facebook by my friends.

Why are you having two weddings within a week?

I like the second photo. :)

zoecore
Dec 23, 2003

ChloroformSeduction posted:

Does anyone know what the typical protocol is with a destination wedding? I'm not super keen on planning the whole big wedding thing, and realized how easy a destination wedding would be when I was the MOH at my friend's wedding last year. Just show up with groom and dress of choice, and you're done!

My problem is that the fiance is super keen on having his "special day", so we'll have a sort of reception back home (I'm thinking a bbq at the riding club with beer, but he wants something a bit more upscale), but is there etiquette surrounding inviting ppl to the wedding then the reception? I figure whomever comes to the tropics with us will come, and if not, they can rsvp to the reception type thing.

Both of us HATED the idea of planning things. So we had a destination wedding in Thailand. It was an all-inclusive package sort of thing. Aside from what we wore, we just had to show up. It was the best decision ever. The wedding was super awesome (far better than anything we would have planned), and totally stress free. And the day itself was amazingly beautiful, different and the photos are gorgeous. The entire cost for the wedding and all of our surrounding amazing travels was the same as if we had a 'traditional' wedding back home. Here are the photos: http://offbeatbride.com/2010/09/thai-buddhist-wedding

I seriously couldn't recommend it enough.

In regards to your question about reception. Destination weddings are becoming very popular (especially here in England) and it is not uncommon to have a reception at home for people who couldn't make it. In fact, in England (don't know about the USA), it's very common to treat the wedding and the reception as two separate entities anyway. A lot of people just invite family and close friends to the wedding (and sometimes dinner) and then the reception / after party is for everyone.

We actually had a second small wedding in England - just a registry wedding - because our family was so upset about the Thailand thing. That shut them up. Also, it can be difficult to register a legal ceremony in certain countries (depending on where you are). Legal weddings can be done in Thailand, but our circumstances would have made it difficult and a little expensive.

I think the baby coming down the aisle with you is cute.

Edit: Another vote for a pro photographer. For the legal ceremony we hired a fashion photographer. We didn't get a lot in the way of proper weddings photos (our request - as it was the second ceremony). But we did get some awesome photos like this:

Like this:

And this:

zoecore fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 3, 2010

Keri
Oct 22, 2003
helo internet

Zaftig posted:

e. This is my favorite "nice" picture.

Most of them are more like this.

I thought I recognized the first picture as the old courthouse in Santa Ana! How did you like having your wedding there? Do you have to schedule the date in advance or do you just show up?

A simple ceremony at the old courthouse has always sounded lovely to me.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

leidend posted:

Why are you having two weddings within a week?
Our wedding is on 10/10/10 in North Carolina, and when we called about whether ULC was legal or if they had a minister for a day program, they said weddings could only be ordained by "the true Church." Sooo we decided to give our money to our home state instead and finish the paperwork ahead of time.

Keri posted:

I thought I recognized the first picture as the old courthouse in Santa Ana! How did you like having your wedding there? Do you have to schedule the date in advance or do you just show up?

A simple ceremony at the old courthouse has always sounded lovely to me.
I couldn't get a hold of them on the phone, so we just walked in. They told us before that they're busiest on Mondays and Fridays. Walking in on a Friday had us waiting for about an hour and a half in the hallway with the other couples and their families (which was actually really awesome; there was a trashy couple asking REALLY personal questions to people and I guess they weren't allowed to get married because the husband-to-be stormed out screaming obscenities. Definitely not boring!). We got the license ahead of time, so we just brought it in, finished up some paperwork, waited for the room to be open, and then went for it. The woman who helped us with our paperwork threw on a black robe and had us repeat vows. It took about five minutes. She left the courtroom and gave us a minute to ourselves, and then we went outside and took inappropriate pictures with the cannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elle vee
Apr 16, 2003

thank you, ma'am!

zoecore posted:

Edit: Another vote for a pro photographer. For the legal ceremony we hired a fashion photographer. We didn't get a lot in the way of proper weddings photos (our request - as it was the second ceremony). But we did get some awesome photos like this:

Like this:

And this:

I meant to tell you that the photos of your wedding(s) on The Knot are absolutely breathtaking. You look gorgeous in all of them and I can't tell if I like the fabulous and exotic ones in Thailand or the glamorous England photos better. I think I might be leaning toward the photos in England better because they're just so damned stylish.

That brings me to my question for you and others that have used pro photographers. There's no doubt in mind that I need one, I am so unphotogenic that even my friends and family have all but stopped trying to photograph me. Maybe one in fifty is okay and looks like me - the rest have to be destroyed immediately.

There seems to be a huge disparity in the cost of photographers, even among those who seem to have similar experience and abilities. For instance, I'm considering Marc Anthony, a goon-recommended photog in the Philly/Jersey area. His base package is $2750 and he's got some great photos online. But, since it's so hard to take a good picture of me (and I've been mulling over what zoecore said about getting a fashion photographer who has experience setting up attractive shots) I've been looking around at other photogs that are recommended on the Knot and such and some of the more popular ones start at $4950!! I can't really tell if this is a matter of reputation or of skill. I want to have the best photos I can afford - but is this an excessive price or worth it for the tremendous photos I'll get from them?

elle vee fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 3, 2010