Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Got my copy of Thin Red Line today. It's so crisp. Also: it's interesting to see the outtakes. Fun to see Mickey Rourke as an emotionally damaged Sniper, but I don't see how any of the outtakes could have been integrated into the current cut of the movie, which is pretty tight. Maybe one day we'll get a glimpse at even more stuff. I'd like to see Viggo and Billy Bob Thornton's parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Has Disney released any coupons for Beauty and the Beast yet? I've been spoiled by the coupons in the past for titles like Snow White and don't want to pay $25 for it Tuesday.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

doctor thodt posted:

Claire Denis's White Material in December

Release of the year. Yes, including all the Criterions.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ultraviolence123 posted:

Has Disney released any coupons for Beauty and the Beast yet? I've been spoiled by the coupons in the past for titles like Snow White and don't want to pay $25 for it Tuesday.
Ask and ye shall receive:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3352068

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Is the version of Robocop, thats coming out tuesday in the trilogy bundle, a different video transfer then the current single disc thats out now?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tyree posted:

Is the version of Robocop, thats coming out tuesday in the trilogy bundle, a different video transfer then the current single disc thats out now?

Nope, it's the exact same disc.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Shout Factory store has a nice little deal right now where you can get all 7 Roger Corman Cult Classics BD's for $99.99 + S&H. If I didn't already own half of them, I'd be all over this. Click the picture for the deal.

The Digital Bits is reporting that James Cameron's The Abyss may be soon in the coming to BD:

quote:

Okay... the following should be considered VERY tentative. However, we've now heard it from multiple independent sources, including reliable industry insiders, so.... Sources are telling us that director James Cameron has been (or it about to begin) working on a new high-def transfer and master of The Abyss, presumably for eventual Blu-ray Disc release. As many of you know, The Abyss is a title that doesn't even have an anamorphic widescreen DVD release (neither does True Lies for that matter) so it's LONG overdue. We've been hearing this might soon happen from industry insiders for a couple of months now, but the most recent report on this comes from a longtime Bits reader (thank you, Jon H!) who actually had the chance to meet Cameron a few weeks ago. He asked specifically about the possibility of The Abyss coming to Blu-ray, and Cameron said that he was about to start work on a new transfer using the same process he did with the Aliens Blu-ray. Cameron then proceeded to say that he was really excited about how good Aliens looks on the format. So... fingers crossed... maybe we'll finally see those remaining Cameron titles on Blu-ray in the next 12 months or so...

As always, none of this should be considered official until the studios make their official yadda, yadda... You all know the drill by now. Stay tuned!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

The Digital Bits is reporting that James Cameron's The Abyss may be soon in the coming to BD:

How is that news? Cameron already said in interviews he is working on Blu-Ray edition of both The Abyss and True Lies.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Sporadic posted:

True Lies.

My DVD version of this is so drat terrible that the upgrade can't come soon enough.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

BitterAvatar posted:

My DVD version of this is so drat terrible that the upgrade can't come soon enough.

I was gonna watch it the other night and didn't know it wasn't anamorphic until I put it in. :( That's the only bad thing about going from a lovely 4:3 CRT to a 16:9 LCD.

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!

doctor thodt posted:

Dr. Strangelove is on sale for $12.99. If you don't already own this and still don't bite at this price, well, gently caress you.

thanks again Thodt. Just arrived today and the PQ is quite an improvement and gave me an excuse to revisit one of my favourite Kubricks. It's a steal at $13.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just got a chance to watch Beauty and the Beast tonight. It looks fantastic, but that really wasn't any doubt.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Pacific screengrabs

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series boxset dropped down to $150.99. Not as good as the all time low of $132.99 but good for the people who missed that one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036EH3U2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0036EH3U2

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
The French release of Gaspar Noe's Enter the Void looks sick.

2 cuts of the movie, loads of bonus features, 44 page art book, etc.

Sadly, like with many French Blu-Rays, there will be forced French subtitles. Hopefully IFC gives this a release here. Perhaps even Criterion?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That is a really wonderful blu-ray case.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

I said come in! posted:

That is a really wonderful blu-ray case.

For real. It's unfortunate that we stick strictly to blue cases here (with the very occasional green one), because some of the French experimentations are fantastic.

Speaking of which, why the hell isn't there a Mr. Nobody Blu-Ray in the US? It's a gorgeous, $60 million, English-language sci-fi film that was practically made for the format.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bambi posted:

Speaking of which, why the hell isn't there a Mr. Nobody Blu-Ray in the US? It's a gorgeous, $60 million, English-language sci-fi film that was practically made for the format.

Looks like they never found a US distributor.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Looks like they never found a US distributor.

Well that blows. I sure as heck hope it gets released somewhere that doesn't force French subtitles on me. Otherwise I would have imported it already :saddowns:

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Apologies if this has been brought up recently, but I jumped back a few pages and scanned a bit but didn't see anything. Clash of the Titans showed up from Netflix today and it's specifically labeled "Rental" -- in and of itself nothing too annoying, but there are like six completely unskippable trailers at the start, there's no way to jump to the root menu (in fact all the normal buttons are locked out save for fast-forward) and there's absolutely nothing on the disc aside from the movie.

Is this a new policy with Warner Bros., or is it something a little more all-encompassing? The whole reason for getting a movie on Blu-ray (aside from the obvious video/audio quality) -- even if it's just renting -- is to get all the extras like commentary and special features. I can't ever recall there being special rental version DVDs with forced trailers and nothing but this just smacks of sticking it to the consumers that would rather check things out first before adding another Blu-ray to the collection.

Yeah, I'm getting all testy about it, I know, but I really do hope this isn't a growing trend.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Certain companies (Warner Bros. included, obviously) have been sending those "Rental Only" copies of both DVD and Blu-ray movies for about a year now. I think it's an attempt to cut down on the number of people taking advantage of Blockbuster's "5 previously rented movies for $20" deals.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SamBishop posted:

Apologies if this has been brought up recently, but I jumped back a few pages and scanned a bit but didn't see anything. Clash of the Titans showed up from Netflix today and it's specifically labeled "Rental" -- in and of itself nothing too annoying, but there are like six completely unskippable trailers at the start, there's no way to jump to the root menu (in fact all the normal buttons are locked out save for fast-forward) and there's absolutely nothing on the disc aside from the movie.

Is this a new policy with Warner Bros., or is it something a little more all-encompassing? The whole reason for getting a movie on Blu-ray (aside from the obvious video/audio quality) -- even if it's just renting -- is to get all the extras like commentary and special features. I can't ever recall there being special rental version DVDs with forced trailers and nothing but this just smacks of sticking it to the consumers that would rather check things out first before adding another Blu-ray to the collection.

Yeah, I'm getting all testy about it, I know, but I really do hope this isn't a growing trend.

Yes. They have been delaying new releases and creating special rental editions with no extras.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-10426792-261.html

I remember The Hangover being the same way when I rented it from Blockbuster.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2061855&pagenumber=269&perpage=40#post369799994

Sporadic posted:

Anybody planning on renting The Hangover, watch out. Apparently Warner sent out special rental copies to Blockbuster that are just the movie. English/Spanish sound, English/Spanish subtitles. That's it. No BD-Live. No special features. No unrated edition. Nothing.

So if you see a copy with "RENTAL" printed onto the art

avoid it.

AnyDVD posted:

Media is a Blu-Ray disc.

Total size: 10018624 sectors (19567 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: THE_HANGOVER

----------

RichterIX posted:

Certain companies (Warner Bros. included, obviously) have been sending those "Rental Only" copies of both DVD and Blu-ray movies for about a year now. I think it's an attempt to cut down on the number of people taking advantage of Blockbuster's "5 previously rented movies for $20" deals.

It's also a misguided attempt to boost DVD/Blu-Ray sales. If the extras are only in the retail copies, that means people will be forced to buy new, right?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 2, 2010

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sporadic posted:

It's also a misguided attempt to boost DVD/Blu-Ray sales. If the extras are only in the retail copies, that means people will be forced to buy new, right?
It's usually only Warner Bros. titles. Most other releases are the actual retail disc from what I remember.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Fox was the first one to do it, I think

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series boxset dropped down to $150.99. Not as good as the all time low of $132.99 but good for the people who missed that one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036EH3U2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0036EH3U2

gently caress. I hate you so much.

Ordered.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sporadic posted:

What happened to the cool Cylon head boxset?

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Yes. They have been delaying new releases and creating special rental editions with no extras.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-10426792-261.html

I remember The Hangover being the same way when I rented it from Blockbuster.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2061855&pagenumber=269&perpage=40#post369799994

----------

[/quote]

This is disgusting. After finally watching the movie, I was fascinated by how they did the special effects, and I would absolutely love to basically demo the movie to the few family members that don't yet understand why Blu-ray beats DVD and then show them how they did that stuff. Plus, I want to know what other bits are in there. Apparently there's an alternate God of War-style ending to things? This is exactly the kind of poo poo that would make me buy the movie, but I need to know if it's crap or not.

It's happened in the past, and rentals are why I give the first disc a shot in the hopes that there's more for the second. Now, I don't give a poo poo. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but WB actually lost a sale because of this poo poo. I'm going to go back to playing Ghost of Sparta and ripping the heads off these dudes.

Captain Charisma posted:

Fox was the first one to do it, I think

This kills me. Did they not talk to an actual person that purchases their product? I have bought Blu-rays after rentals based on what they had (especially with some of the really cool BD-Live poo poo), but even just limiting that stuff... I'm sorry, I just don't get it.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 2, 2010

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Who has the best deal on Beauty and the Beast this coming Tuesday? I was looking at some thing where you could get that, Toy Story 3 and another Disney BD for $30 from Toys R Us but it seems to be over now.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll just be getting mine at Best Buy for ~$15 because I wanted the IronPack, but apparently there's a way to get it for $3 at Toys R Us:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2272027

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What happened to the cool Cylon head boxset?

The case for the individual seasons in that set were basically cardboard and the discs were really, really hard to get out of it, plus they scratched after a couple uses.

IIRC, the new set has them in the book style cases with the plastic holders for each disc.

The Cylon head was cool, but it was murder on discs.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
So for some reason, Beauty and the Beast, Grindhouse, and 7 other things I ordered came in the mail today from Amazon, even though it doesnt come out til tuesday. Only the Exorcist didnt make it. Ever happen to anyone else here?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Tyree posted:

So for some reason, Beauty and the Beast, Grindhouse, and 7 other things I ordered came in the mail today from Amazon, even though it doesnt come out til tuesday. Only the Exorcist didnt make it. Ever happen to anyone else here?

I always get my Amazon pre-orders early, which is why I always pre-order from Amazon.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Mine from Play.com always come early, too.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Ok, I'm gunna ask a dumb question again.

I asked about multi-region capability a few pages back. My concern was that a blu-ray player that has multi-region capability through a code might get patched out, like the Momitsu (?) did. The solution is to not update the firmware. But what if you purchase a blu-ray that won't play because the firmware isn't updated with the codec or whatever? Are you just s.o.l.?

The other solution is to get a Region B or C player for your home. However, I read about how those players require different types of signals or something (in Hz), atleast if you play DVDs, which is something I plan on doing, and you need to get a tv that can support both American and European signals? I don't know how common these are?

I ask this because my friend got me some Region 2 DVDs, which I'm dying to watch. He didn't know I don't know poo poo about playing them in the U.S., though. I've heard there's a Sherwood player that's a cheap copy of the Momitsu, that converts the signals and has multi-region functionality via a remote code. It sounds like a decent bet but apparently it makes horrible noises or something? I'm not sure I'm willing to pay 400 or 500+ for an Oppo or anything though.

I know this is basically a better-worded version of the exact same question I asked a few pages back, but I'm sorry! I don't know! This is the last time I'm gunna ask this, I'm just really indecisive. I just need some suggestions for what my best options are.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
To be honest, I'd look at purchasing a region modded Panasonic. I think a BD60 goes for about 250 on eBay, and since its a hardware mod they can't patch it out with firmware updates. The Oppo BDP-80 was a good choice for modding since it was cheap and you could just buy a plugin mod and do it yourself, but right now Oppo aren't selling any BDP-80 or BDP-83s.

The no-name region free out of the box players get the job done, but if the Momitsu (and its clones) have apparently blocked region changing in latest firmwares, then yes, you would be s.o.l. if you needed to update.

When it comes to Region B units, it IS possible that it'll output a 50Hz signal by default during setup menus, etc, even though 99.9% of Blu-Rays will be 60Hz. My Samsung did, my Panasonic didn't.

Unlike most UK Blu-Rays, UK DVDs will all be 50Hz. Whether or not the player converts this to 60Hz depends on the model, but they usually have PAL/NTSC options for DVD at least, but I'm not sure how it'd handle a 1080i50 Blu-Ray when set to NTSC mode.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 3, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Game will be coming from Criterion around April 2011:
http://chud.com/articles/articles/25603/1/MORE-TALK-OF-FINCHER039S-THE-GAME-OUT-ON-CRITERION-IN-2011/Page1.html

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

doctor thodt posted:

The Game will be coming from Criterion around April 2011:
http://chud.com/articles/articles/25603/1/MORE-TALK-OF-FINCHER039S-THE-GAME-OUT-ON-CRITERION-IN-2011/Page1.html

This strikes me as a pretty odd pick for Criterion. It's not exactly a modern masterpiece, it's not a flawed but fascinating experiment, and it's not a minor missing film from a canon director. It's just... a nifty, kinda dumb flick from the 90s from a director who made much more notable movies before and after it.

eLGee
Feb 14, 2006

I got the worst fucking attorneys.

sethsez posted:

This strikes me as a pretty odd pick for Criterion. It's not exactly a modern masterpiece, it's not a flawed but fascinating experiment, and it's not a minor missing film from a canon director. It's just... a nifty, kinda dumb flick from the 90s from a director who made much more notable movies before and after it.

Well, it was a part of the laserdisc collection from back when, and it's one of Criterion's most requested titles.

Personally, I'd love to see Criterion release "The Insider". The only release that movie has seen so far is basically a bare-bones release, which is crazy considering how loving amazing the movie is.

eLGee fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 3, 2010

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

sethsez posted:

There was a Criterion for Armageddon, of all films, though I'm told that was solely to raise money at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eLGee posted:

Personally, I'd love to see Criterion release "The Insider". The only release that movie has seen so far is basically a bare-bones release, which is crazy considering how loving amazing the movie is.

God yes, one of the best movies of the '90s. Too bad it's a Disney property and thus will never see the light of day.

• Locked thread