Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

God yes, one of the best movies of the '90s. Too bad it's a Disney property and thus will never see the light of day.

Criterion did get all the Wes Anderson movies from Touchstone so there is hope for The Insider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What happened to the cool Cylon head boxset?

While it looked cool on the exterior, the packaging was actually really terrible and it was hard to get the discs out. The new packaging is way better, and since they sent it to me for free, I get to keep my Centurion action figure. :)

eLGee
Feb 14, 2006

I got the worst fucking attorneys.

doctor thodt posted:

God yes, one of the best movies of the '90s. Too bad it's a Disney property and thus will never see the light of day.

Never say never. Most of Wes Anderson's titles are Disney property, which got exclusive distribution through Criterion.

e:f, b

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Also, The Game is totally excellent. :colbert:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Omen Collection dropped down to $23.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ARDBWQ?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001ARDBWQ

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tons of horror films on sale for $10 right now at Best Buy, including The Evil Dead, Frozen, Dead Snow, The Mist, the individual Grindhouse releases, and many more.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

Tons of horror films on sale for $10 right now at Best Buy, including The Evil Dead, Frozen, Dead Snow, The Mist, the individual Grindhouse releases, and many more.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been meaning to pick up The Mist and 1408 since I sold my HD-DVD imports.

Also worth mentioning, The Toolbox Murders and The Bird With The Crystal Plumage are only $11.24

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/The+Toolbox+Murders+-+Widescreen+Subtitle+-+Blu-ray+Disc/18257633.p?id=48347&skuId=18257633
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/The+Bird+with+the+Crystal+Plumage+-+Widescreen+Dolby+Dts+-+Blu-ray+Disc/17589682.p?id=20568&skuId=17589682

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sporadic posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I have been meaning to pick up The Mist and 1408 since I sold my HD-DVD imports.

Also worth mentioning, The Toolbox Murders and The Bird With The Crystal Plumage are only $11.24

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/The+Toolbox+Murders+-+Widescreen+Subtitle+-+Blu-ray+Disc/18257633.p?id=48347&skuId=18257633
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/The+Bird+with+the+Crystal+Plumage+-+Widescreen+Dolby+Dts+-+Blu-ray+Disc/17589682.p?id=20568&skuId=17589682

Good price on two great transfers from Blue Underground. When I saw this I frantically searched the website to see if any of their titles I don't have are on sale, but alas, I'll have to keep searching for good deals on The Prowler, Dead & Buried, Uncle Sam, and the rest :sigh:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

Good price on two great transfers from Blue Underground. When I saw this I frantically searched the website to see if any of their titles I don't have are on sale, but alas, I'll have to keep searching for good deals on The Prowler, Dead & Buried, Uncle Sam, and the rest :sigh:

I did the same thing except I was hoping for The Crazies :)

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

There was a Criterion for Armageddon, of all films, though I'm told that was solely to raise money at the time.

Same with The Rock. However, that movie deserved it in my opinion.

eLGee
Feb 14, 2006

I got the worst fucking attorneys.

A Bad Poster posted:

Same with The Rock. However, that movie deserved it in my opinion.

I remember reading an article which had an interview with Criterion about how Armageddon was a part of the collection, and they said it was because all types of movies are represented in their collection, even the popcorn flicks, which The Rock and Armageddon represents.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

doctor thodt posted:

Same deal in Canada; it's October so obviously the horror film Blu-Rays will be going on sale for Halloween.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Does The Mist have the black and white version on there? That always seemed to me to be a really cool idea for that film, and I've been wanting to check it out.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

ClydeUmney posted:

Does The Mist have the black and white version on there? That always seemed to me to be a really cool idea for that film, and I've been wanting to check it out.

Yes it does actually.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

RevKrule posted:

Yes it does actually.

Thanks!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Ok, before I make a stupid decision, this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Evil+Dead+-+Blu-ray+Disc/1364848.p?id=2119652&skuId=1364848&st=The%20Evil%20Dead&lp=2&cp=1

Is the new blu-ray, with the absolutely fantastic grainy picture, right?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GonSmithe posted:

Ok, before I make a stupid decision, this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Evil+Dead+-+Blu-ray+Disc/1364848.p?id=2119652&skuId=1364848&st=The%20Evil%20Dead&lp=2&cp=1

Is the new blu-ray, with the absolutely fantastic grainy picture, right?

Right. However, be aware that there's a chance that it won't include the bonus DVD with all the special features. There's a lovely trend occurring among some studios right now where all/most of the special features are contained on a separate DVD, and this DVD is only limited to the first pressing of a given title. Even though The Evil Dead only came out a month ago, people are already getting copies that don't contain the DVD.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

doctor thodt posted:

Right. However, be aware that there's a chance that it won't include the bonus DVD with all the special features. There's a lovely trend occurring among some studios right now where all/most of the special features are contained on a separate DVD, and this DVD is only limited to the first pressing of a given title. Even though The Evil Dead only came out a month ago, people are already getting copies that don't contain the DVD.

Oh man, that would be absolutely terrible. I hope this doesn't happen. :ohdear:

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

doctor thodt posted:

I really can't figure out the logic behind this one.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I really can't figure out the logic behind this one.

Maybe to stop people from selling the DVD copy? That's the only thing I can think of.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Here's a novel idea: Put the loving extras on the Blu-Ray

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You'd think it'd be pretty goddamn simple, but apparently not. And then you have the chumps over at Vivendi who can't even be bothered to put a lossless audio track on Grindhouse with 8gb of free space on the loving disc.

MrMinnow
Dec 9, 2005

All the fishes in the sea, around the sides of my country.
I was wondering why the only special feature on The Evil Dead was a commentary. Was the extras disc in HD by any chance, or is it the same as previous releases? I'm a bit upset right now, but then again it was $10 vs the $18 I was about to pay on Amazon.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrMinnow posted:

I was wondering why the only special feature on The Evil Dead was a commentary. Was the extras disc in HD by any chance, or is it the same as previous releases? I'm a bit upset right now, but then again it was $10 vs the $18 I was about to pay on Amazon.

They're all standard-def. It doesn't carry over every last bonus feature from all the collective releases, but it does still have a ton of stuff. There's a breakdown of everything here:

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?p=50761

quote:

Disc 2 (A “Limited Edition Bonus” DVD) features:

* “One By One We Will Take You: The Untold Saga of THE EVIL DEAD” (53:46) is a great retrospective on the making of the film that features interviews with Producer Robert Tapert, Make-Up Special Effects legend Mike Sullivan, Directors Eli Roth and Edgar Wright. Lots of still photographs from on the set are shown and such. This proves to definitely be worth watching and almost totals in at an hour in runtime; very nice.
* “THE EVIL DEAD: Treasures From The Cutting Room Floor” (59:24) consists of outtakes, takes that never made it and ended up on “the cutting room floor” (hence the title) as well as just goofy action around the set. While not as straight-forward (normal) as the previous featurette, it is again one that proves to be definitely worth the watch and also totals in at almost exactly 60 minutes (an hour) in runtime; very nice.
* “The Ladies of THE EVIL DEAD Meet Bruce Campbell” (28:55) features a sit-down interview with most of the primary cast hosted by Bruce Campbell (Ash) and includes the ladies Theresa Tilly (Shelly), Ellen Sandweiss (Cheryl), and Besty Baker (Linda). The gals discuss the filming of this with Bruce and such. This proves to be really entertaining and informative for fans of the film.
* “Discovering THE EVIL DEAD” (13:06)
* “Unconventional” (19:09)
* “At The Drive-In” (12:04)
* “Reunion Panel” (31:19)
* “Book of the Dead: The Other Pages” (1:57)
* “Make-Up Test” (1:08) ranges from blood dripping down a white surface to the prosthetics and make-up for the stop-motion animation decomposing bit near the end of the film. This sadly features no audio or narration but is still cool and worth the watch for real fans.
* “Still Gallery” is self-explanatory but it does include a variety of both poster art and still photography from on the set (behind-the-scenes).
* Theatrical Trailer (1:54) is included.
* “TV Spots“, FOUR in total are included and they are as follows:
– “TV Spot #1” (0:33)
– “TV Spot #2” (0:33)
– “TV Spot #3” (0:33)
– “TV Spot #4” (0:33)

Overall, the bonus materials are really impressive. You get an ALL-NEW audio commentary with Sam Raimi, Bruce Campbell and Robert Tapert on the first disc (Blu-ray) as well as a little over 3 and a half hours of Standard Definition bonus materials (some new) on the second disc (DVD). Fans will be left busy with stuff to keep them entertained and informed long after they’ve watched the film in Hi-Def; in either of the aspect ratio choices, which I’ll honestly even consider a bit of a bonus itself. Color me impressed. Although I will say a couple of things I would have considered awesome weren’t included; namely the original short film.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 4, 2010

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Anyone here have the Vengeance trilogy on blu-ray? Are there problems with it? From what I've seen on Amazon.com, something's wrong with the packaging. AV quality are all good?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dudebro posted:

Anyone here have the Vengeance trilogy on blu-ray? Are there problems with it? From what I've seen on Amazon.com, something's wrong with the packaging. AV quality are all good?

Oldboy doesn't have lossless audio, while the standalone release that came first does. Palisades-Tartan was supposedly going to fix this, but it's been months and months now without a peep from them. Otherwise it's a nice set.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Dudebro posted:

I can't imagine what could be wrong with the packaging...

The first run (initally exclusive to Best Buy, later incorporated into the general release) came in a tin with a booklet. Inside were three normal BD cases. Subsequent runs feature the same 3 BD cases, but in a normal cardboard slip box instead of the tin, and presumably no booklet.

The discs are, for the most part, fine. The only misstep is with Oldboy, which features only a lossy audio track instead of the lossless one found on the original Oldboy standalone BD release. This was presumably an error, according to initial communication with the company, and a replacement program was said to be in the works. However months have gone by and there has been no word - the employee who was in contact with fans has since said he still hopes to get it done, but he has less power in the situation than he initially thought he did.

Still a great set in my opinion.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dudebro posted:

Oldboy is missing the lossless audio from the standalone release.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Hmm, well I have the Old Boy BD from a while back so I could swap that out or something. Sounds good then.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Lady Vengeance looks fantastic. It's almost a shame to watch the fade-to-black-and-white version because you miss out on all that color

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
So, I can't be the only one super loving excited that Troll 2 is actually releasing on Tuesday. Please tell me someone else besides me has this pre-ordered.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Silber posted:

So, I can't be the only one super loving excited that Troll 2 is actually releasing on Tuesday. Please tell me someone else besides me has this pre-ordered.

Also ordered this.

Pretty much emptied / will be emptying my bank account on titles this Tuesday. Beauty and the Beast, The Exorcist, Grindhouse, The Human Centipede, Troll 2 and some Roger Corman Cult Classic DVD releases from Shout Factory. Skipped the Bogart movies for now, as there's just too much coming out to buy everything, and it will make my mom happy to buy those for my Christmas presents vs any of the crazy genre titles I normally ask for.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Note to self: don't watch terrifying movie about nightmares by yourself in the middle of the night just before going to bed.

Having said that, the Jacob's Ladder BD is pretty darn good, especially for the $10 I paid for it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Frozen dropped to $9.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L1ZWG2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003L1ZWG2

I saw the trailer before Evil Dead and it looked stupid but alot of reviews were praising it so YMMV.

- edit And you can get an additional $5 off if you buy The Crazies remake with it (total $21.98)

- edit 2 The Godfather Trilogy dropped down to $44.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NTPDSW?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000NTPDSW

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 4, 2010

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Silber posted:

I need this to be released in the UK. For gently caress's sake one of you beautiful assholes with high-up connections make this happen.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My roommate is already plotting out our pre-Halloween Troll 2 viewing party.

3 catalog releases from WB on Feb. 1:

Pleasantville
You've Got Mail

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy
My theater is showing Troll 2 and the Best Worst Movie documentary back-to-back on Thursday. But I'm still buying that blu-ray. I guess its too much to ask for The Room.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wiseu has expressed a desire to do a BD for The Room more than once. Wouldn't be surprised to see it next year.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is the blu-ray of Evil Dead 2 really bad? Review sites seem pretty evenly split on it. In spite of how good the ED1 transfer is supposed to be, I really prefer 2 as a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RichterIX posted:

Is the blu-ray of Evil Dead 2 really bad? Review sites seem pretty evenly split on it. In spite of how good the ED1 transfer is supposed to be, I really prefer 2 as a movie.

It's absolutely smothered in DNR and EE.

11/23

quote:

-- "The Expendables: Ultimate Recon Mode" in-movie BonusView
-- "Comic Con 2010 Panel"
-- Audio Commentary with Sylvester Stallone
-- "Inferno" feature-length "making of" documentary
-- "From the Ashes" Post Production documentary
-- Deleted Scene
-- Gag Reel
-- Marketing Archive including Trailers and TV spots
-- Metamenu Remote and BD Touch enabled
-- D-BOX Motion Control Enabled

Note the lack of a director's cut, which Sly has said is definitely in the works, so expect another release somewhere down the line.

• Locked thread